Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭sheroman01

Wales were very poor against us at home coming to think about it. They could be sh*tting themselves given the occasion and that they have to go for it. 0-1 to Ireland could well be on the cards....here's hoping :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

noodler wrote: »
    One win in five.

Going from top to requiring a mini-miracle just to get a playoff.

I'd be more wary of those with the unbridled optimism to be fair.
    It's hardly a 'mini miracle' for Ireland to win tomorrow night.

I am wary of the likes of you, but ultimately won't care so long as we get the win tomorrow night.

I've seen your kind before. You're irrelevant at the end of the day regardless of the result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭TheQuietBeatle

One win in five.

Going from top to requiring a mini-miracle just to get a playoff.

I'd be more wary of those with the unbridled optimism to be fair.

When we were top we got points above expectations. In the last few games - it's only really been the Georgia game which was poor. The Serbia team are strong so a defeat was no embareassment (overall performance was good too in that game)

Tomorrow will be interesting, I think we have a great chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

I would emphasize the hard to play against... since MoN took us over only one country got anything easy off us in a competitive game. People here might want to see us play better football but please don’t neglect that way we break up the oppositions rhythm.

You look around Europe and you see results like Poland getting smashed 4-1 in denmark, Hungary 4-1 in Switzerland. Like it or not we don’t do this to teams but they don’t do it to us either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,167 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Patww79 wrote: »
    When I said earlier I didn't gamble did you lose the use of your reading ability? Or are you that hooked they you can't fathom anyone not doing it?

How is it a gamble? You know with guaranteed certainty Ireland are doomed, surely you'll view it as a sound investment? Unless you are just mouthing off to be hipstery or whinging for whinging sake.

"Gamble" implies you think Ireland can win. Hows your reading?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Is Aaron Ramsey injured?

Jesus Christ? Now there's a fella that could perform a minor miracle or two.

• Advertisement

TheCitizen wrote: »

Nah not against the MIGHTY WALES. A team of Jesus couldn't save us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

It is not in anyway blinkered positivity.

It is optimism based on what I perceive too be sound logic that we can go to Cardiff tomorrow and win.

Your logic assessing our team is that they haven't a chance to win. Your perogative. But I believe you are wrong.

We had the ability to win every game this group to be honest. I don't see why we would be going into this game expecting any less either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Dots1982 wrote: »
    My attitude towards seeing the average poster on this forum as fair and balanced changed when MoN took serious flack after the qualifier in Warsaw 2years ago for not “going for it”. We’d just beaten the world champions and got to a playoff against the odds the level of complaining was unbelievable.

The YBIG survey in terms of satisfaction with the contract MoN has been awarded is evenly split which gives me heart that there is a reasonable balance out there. The constantly negative media coverage gives me less hope.

There appears to be two opinions on MON. Not sure which side I fall on as both have some valid arguments.

1) Those who think that he is doing a good job and the results we have had in the past two campaigns have been what we should be aiming for. It seems as if most people who think this way are of the opinion we have a weak squad (compared to other national teams) and that it is a results business and being a fourth seed team who are going to finish at worst 3rd in the group isn't doing atrocious.

2) Those who are unhappy with him and think he has gotten lucky with his results so far. People will say we bet Italy because they had nothing to play for, we only got a playoff last time because the Euros were expanded and that we have bottled it in games that have mattered (Poland, Scotland, Serbia, Wales, Austria). These fans are often also the ones who see the North performing well and ask why can't we have a manager who gets more out of limited players?

I don't think it was a mistake giving him a contract for the next campaign, just the timing was bad. Over his entire reign I'd say results have been better than they should be but performances have been poor. If he pulls it off tomorrow nobody can argue that this campaign was a failure, if he doesn't then we will have a lot of people (myself included) wondering how we find ourselves in this position after having 10 points from the first four games.

I do not place bets on sport or anything else. Clear enough for you? I think I was right with the latter indeed.

Also, hipstery? Go for a lie down.

Well thats strange principle when you are in your mind 100% guaranteed a return on your investment.

• Advertisement

Dots1982 wrote: »
    I would emphasize the hard to play against... since MoN took us over only one country got anything easy off us in a competitive game. People here might want to see us play better football but please don’t neglect that way we break up the oppositions rhythm.

You look around Europe and you see results like Poland getting smashed 4-1 in denmark, Hungary 4-1 in Switzerland. Like it or not we don’t do this to teams but they don’t do it to us either.
    We'll be fine tomorrow. We're going to steam into them. They will steam into us. We have better temperament than them. I think we can do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Tomorrow's match is going to be like a mid table premier league game. And with both teams going for the win, I don't care about form, but anyone who thinks they can call it is talking out their hoop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Jayus, he was pish poor on Crosses :rolleyes:

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

Whoever and whatever he was, he wasn't negative bud.

Get the fck with your negativity. Game on in Cardiff tomorrow night.

• Advertisement

Jayus, he was pish poor on Crosses :rolleyes:
    He was excellent actually

Can you wrap your head around someone not placing bets on anything or are you that consumed by it?

I dont bet myself either. The thing is I also dont go around claiming to tell the future and know results with 100% certainty. I'm confident (not certain see using proper words not absolute sentences) you were "certain" we wouldn't beat Germany and look how that went.

In sport most people can understand there is ALWAYS a chance that either side can win on a given day in any sport/competition. You are in the privleged position of knowing the result of tomorrows match in advance. "Bets" use odds to indicate probability. You already know the result ergo its not a bet for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Ireland can only score one goal really a game so to be honest I wouldn’t be that optimistic as our defense is unlikely to be able to keep a clean sheet.

Maybe we can pull something out of nowhere but I would see little reason for optimism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

It's hardly a 'mini miracle' for Ireland to win tomorrow night.

I am wary of the likes of you, but ultimately won't care so long as we get the win tomorrow night.

I've seen your kind before. You're irrelevant at the end of the day regardless of the result.

This kind of post is typical of some of the Celtic fans around here.

A single, paltry win over Moldova in five games can't even be illustrated as a reason for caution without it being taken as some sort of insult to MON.

In the last five, Wales have 11/15 and we have 6/15.

Acknowledge it, move on. Don't try to stifle or censor the discussion because you don't want to hear anything that doesn't fit with your MON worship.

If we lose tomorrow and finish outside the top two yet again, Id be interested to see if you still won't hear a bad word against him.

Lets hope it doesn't happen.

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    Tomorrow's match is going to be like a mid table premier league game. And with both teams going for the win, I don't care about form, but anyone who thinks they can call it is talking out their hoop.

Nonsense. Patwww knows exactly.

This kind of post is typical of some of the Celtic fans around here.

A single, paltry win over Moldova in five games can't even be illustrated as a reason for caution without it being taken as some sort of insult to MON.

In the last five, Wales have 11/15 and we have 6/15.

Acknowledge it, move on. Don't try to stifle or censor the discussion because you don't want to hear anything that doesn't fit with your MON worship.

If we lose tomorrow and finish outside the top two yet again, Id be interested to see if you still won't hear a bad word against him.

Oh now the agenda is its only Celtic fans that arent baying for O'Neill's blood?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Just to reiterate we're the only pot 4 side with a chance of playoffs. Whatever happens tomorrow we've outperformed our seeding and sides at same level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

pjohnson wrote: »
    Oh now the agenda is its only Celtic fans that arent baying for O'Neill's blood?

Woah. Baying for his blood?

Is that what I was doing by pointing out our awful form?

Christ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Rekop dog wrote: »

Right now we're the only team left from the 4th pot or below that's still in with a chance of playoffs which can't be ignored

Either can being in pole position at the turn of the year and the performances. Given we were 4th seeds we were laughing with the group we landed in like you alluded to some of the seeding was out of sync.

Hopefully we won't be raising these issues tomorrow and we get lucky and have a playoff to look forward to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Just to reiterate we're the only pot 4 side with a chance of playoffs.

That's slightly a quirk of timing because other groups are finished and ours is only at 9 games played. Montenegro and Slovenia from pot 4 both went into G10 with some sort of chance, albeit both were clearly lesser chances than ours (they needed a win and a favour)

Either can being in pole position at the turn of the year and the performances.

People are way too hung up about this. A few tight games in a row went in our favour and few tight games in a row went against us. It's just variance more than anything. There was no bottling imo. Georgia took draws from Wales and Austria also. What our draw for me outlined more than anything is how much we miss Robbie Keane as he was lethal against that sort of opposition and people often used the fact the bulk of his goals came against weaker opposition as a stick to beat him with but we've nobody even semi reliable up front now and it's impressive we've even maintained a challenge without a striker of note.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,123 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Just to reiterate we're the only pot 4 side with a chance of playoffs. Whatever happens tomorrow we've outperformed our seeding and sides at same level.

It's the delusional opinions from some fans which continues to baffle me.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

What exactly is the issue with saying beating Wales tomorrow night is a seriously tall order and unlikely?

Sure we only got our first competitive win of the year on Friday night. And only our second win in 8 for the year. And now we’ve to go to a team ranked 13th in the world. I’d say it’s being realistic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Seeding can vary a lot in terms of the quality of teams though, just saying we are 'pot 4' doesn't necessarily mean, when you take countries quality individually, that we'd be the only the 4th best team in a group. I'd love to win tomorrow and get through and praise shall be given for this acheivement if it happens, but let's not already write excuses that we are 'plucky' or 'punching above weight' as if we are San Marino or something.

PhilipsR wrote: »
    What exactly is the issue with saying beating Wales tomorrow night is a seriously tall order and unlikely?

Sure we only got our first competitive win of the year on Friday night. And only our second win in 8 for the year. And now we’ve to go to a team ranked 13th in the world. I’d say it’s being realistic.

*Seriously* is OTT, they're favourites for sure but as I already pointed out their ranking is a false one due to some clever manipulation of the system. They're not the 13th best side in the world and they're missing their one world class player.

Corholio wrote: »
    Seeding can vary a lot in terms of the quality of teams though, just saying we are 'pot 4' doesn't necessarily mean, when you take countries quality individually, that we'd be the only the 4th best team in a group. I'd love to win tomorrow and get through and praise shall be given for this acheivement if it happens, but let's not already write excuses that we are 'plucky' or 'punching above weight' as if we are San Marino or something.

We are the 4th best in our group on quality though. Not by a giant stretch but we don't have the Champions league performers that Serbia Austria and Wales all have a handful of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

COYBIG

Today is about getting behind the team and hopefully what would be a terrific result.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

It's always hard to win away from home but I am glad the way it's turned out what with Bale injured. If we only needed a draw I can only imagine us being very negative and we play better when teams come at us like Wales have to do tonight.

I would be worried about McClean doing something silly and it has to be controlled agression. Without Bale there is very little between the teams though Ramsey and Allen can dictate a game. I think we are stronger defensively and will create chances. Keep it tight first half and go for it in the last 30 minutes. Hopefully Long can finally convert a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭TheQuietBeatle

It's always hard to win away from home but I am glad the way it's turned out what with Bale injured. If we only needed a draw I can only imagine us being very negative and we play better when teams come at us like Wales have to do tonight.

I would be worried about McClean doing something silly and it has to be controlled agression. Without Bale there is very little between the teams though Ramsey and Allen can dictate a game. I think we are stronger defensively and will create chances. Keep it tight first half and go for it in the last 30 minutes. Hopefully Long can finally convert a chance.

I can see us starting with only one up front - and after Moldova I highly doubt that will be Long.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

I can see us starting with only one up front - and after Moldova I highly doubt that will be Long.

Yeah hard to call. Long is very good at closing down though which is what we will need against a team like Wales. His confidence is very low though so could be Murphy alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

When it comes to Long, while nobody can deny his off the ball work, O'Neill is well aware we might only get one clear cut chance, and we'll have to take it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,306 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Has anyone else heard the stat that Shane Long has scored once in 42 games for club & country?

I know it's not a great record but the stat is completely wrong.

They were spouting it on RTE on Friday night which led me to check and heard it again on the radio this morning.

Last goal was vs Sunderland - 11/02 (26 games ago)
    before that vs Swansea - 31/01 (28 games)
    vs Liverpool - 25/01 (30 games)
    vs Norwich - 18/01 (32 games)
    vs WBA - 31/12 (37 games)

Balls.ie have been reporting it too: https://www.balls.ie/football/martin-oneill-must-face-awkward-truth-shane-long-not-justifying-place-375205

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Last goal being 26 games ago still isnt exactly confidence inspiring from Long.

I'd drop him anyway unless O'Neill decides to play him wide right in a Walters style role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Has anyone else heard the stat that Shane Long has scored once in 42 games for club & country?

I know it's not a great record but the stat is completely wrong.

They were spouting it on RTE on Friday night which led me to check and heard it again on the radio this morning.

Last goal was vs Sunderland - 11/02 (26 games ago)
    before that vs Swansea - 31/01 (28 games)
    vs Liverpool - 25/01 (30 games)
    vs Norwich - 18/01 (32 games)
    vs WBA - 31/12 (37 games)

Balls.ie have been reporting it too: https://www.balls.ie/football/martin-oneill-must-face-awkward-truth-shane-long-not-justifying-place-375205

Is it not last 42 games for club and country?

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭The Red Lad

One hour into work....longest day ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,306 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Is it not last 42 games for club and country?

He has 6 in 41 for club & country. That last goal going back to Moldova goal in a 3-1 win on the 9th October

http://ie.soccerway.com/players/shane-long/2586/

Unless I'm losing it :pac:

• Tonights team selection is critical

Just ****ing go for it O Neil, actually think under pressure situations we tend to deal with these games better and give it a real go

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement