Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,167 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

He has 6 in 41 for club & country. That last goal going back to Moldova goal in a 3-1 win on the 9th October

http://ie.soccerway.com/players/shane-long/2586/

Unless I'm losing it :pac:
    Could be including Southampton preseason maybe? I dont know if he scored or not in preseason but that could explain why the figure is so high? Otherwise someone made an awful mistake altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

One hour into work....longest day ever.

Every day in work is the longest day ever, so the addition of this match has slowed things down to ridiculous levels. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

A late equaliser would lead to a rare scenario, with both teams rushing to get the ball out of the net and race it back to the halfway line, and both lining up quickly for the re-start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭Radiant Cool Crazy Nightmare

A late equaliser would lead to a rare scenario, with both teams rushing to get the ball out of the net and race it back to the halfway line, and both lining up quickly for the re-start.

No late equalisers or anything like that please. A nice comfortable 3 or 4 nil win would suffice as the heart wouldnt be able for a tight game at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I hate doing what ifs but if we had won away to Georgia and held on for a home draw against Serbia, we would be top of the group and a draw would guarantee a playoff and possibly even the winning of the group. On such fine margins.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

One hour into work....longest day ever.

90 minutes in and I've done no work but i think I've nearly gone through all permutations with the guys beside me so time well spent i say

Reports that Long is out through injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Sorry guys but do Wales need to win or will a draw do them ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

thelad95 wrote: »
    I hate doing what ifs but if we had won away to Georgia and held on for a home draw against Serbia, we would be top of the group and a draw would guarantee a playoff and possibly even the winning of the group. On such fine margins.....

IF they hadn't been 4 points ahead Serbia may have had their heads better screwed on in Austria. We also robbed a point in Serbia so it swings both ways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,123 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

This would be my team with Long and Wes to come off the bench for the last half hour and possibly McGeady last 15 minutes or Whelan to see the game out should we be ahead. Sure enough i'll have forgotten someone. COYBIG

Randolph

Christie - Duffy - Clark - Ward

Hendrick - Meyler - Arter

Brady - McLean

Murphy

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭tigger123

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    Reports that Long is out through injury.

Where did you see that?

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭MojoRisinnnn

That's a loss, he's not in great form and probably wouldn't have started anyways but his work rate is exceptional off the ball and would be ideal for 20 minutes at the end as some fresh legs to get at their defence.

I think we'll have enough tonight do it, keep the heads for the first 20 and don't do anything rash, Wales are their for the taking. I'm going 2 nil Ireland. COYBIG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Last goal being 26 games ago still isnt exactly confidence inspiring from Long.

I'd drop him anyway unless O'Neill decides to play him wide right in a Walters style role.

Not only is he missing chances he used to take, i've noticed that his closing down and energy levels seem to have dropped considerably too. Having said that tonight is a Cup Final and everyone should be up for it and prepared to give their all.

Assuming Murphy starts, he'll only last 60-70 mins. Hogan or Maguire to be introduced.

Is it written in the stars...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭tigger123

That's a real loss. Was hoping him and Murphy would both start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,306 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

tigger123 wrote: »

Certainly miss his stamina, THAT game & goal vs Germany was Long coming on as a sub against tired German legs and making something happen, what's to say it wouldn't have happened again.

As posters mentioned above, maybe it'll be Maguire's time to announce himself on the international scene.

Fingers crossed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

tigger123 wrote: »

If it’s true it’s a big blow. I know he misses more than his fair share of chances but we’re far more likely to get chances with him on the pitch. His pace and athleticism can make any defense uncomfortable. With someone like Murphy as a lone striker I feel we’ll need to be more accurate in our build up play to create chances. Wales could also push further up the pitch knowing we have no pace in attack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

If it’s true it’s a big blow. I know he misses more than his fair share of chances but we’re far more likely to get chances with him on the pitch. His pace and athleticism can make any defense uncomfortable. With someone like Murphy as a lone striker I feel we’ll need to be more accurate in our build up play to create chances. Wales could also push further up the pitch knowing we have no pace in attack.

My instinct since the Moldova game was that Long would be dropped, with McClean coming in up front with Murphy and O'Dowda keeping his place on the left.

• Advertisement

Do Wales still play that 3-5-1-1?

3 center backs against Murphy alone wont be pretty. We need to stay wide to try and stretch out their defence. Christie and Brady (no offence to Ward but Brady is naturally the offensive LB so he should get the nod) overloading the flanks aswell. McGeady, Hendrick, McClean the trio behind Murphy

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

Well at least with Long being out, it removes the possibility of lumping long balls up to him, at least Murphy would have a chance.

I doubt Hogan or Maguire will get on regardless of goals needed. More likely to see McClean go up front.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

randolph
    christie-duffy-clark-brady
    myler-artur
    mcgeady-hoolahan-mcclean
    murphy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭brilou23

I will be 100% behind the team and I know lads can pull it out of the bag despite are managers poor tactics. I just hope he picks the proper team tonight and gives it ago not try nick a goal from a set piece and put 9 men in our box and huff the ball to a lone striker. Get wes on ball tonight and lets go for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

brilou23 wrote: »
    I will be 100% behind the team and I know lads can pull it out of the bag despite are managers poor tactics. I just hope he picks the proper team tonight and gives it ago not try nick a goal from a set piece and put 9 men in our box and huff the ball to a lone striker. Get wes on ball tonight and lets go for it.

Agree. But I can only see Wes being introduced for the last 20 mins if we still need a goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Really don't think Long is that much of a loss, he's not effective at all now.

There is a reason he's not doing well at club level.

Has to bring Maguire in now I feel.

• Advertisement

Randolph ,
    Christie Clarke Duffy Ward
                      Myler 
            Hendricks   Arther  
    McClean                   Brady
                      Murphy

That would be my starting 11, Wes on after 60 minutes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

murpho999 wrote: »

Because his two goals in eleven in the championship is stellar form?

Rekop dog wrote: »

You must not seen him play or even read about his form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭eamonpk

Apologies if this has come up before but is Jon Walters injured?

He's been played on the wing in fairness.

• Advertisement

You must not seen him play or even read about his form.

I doubt anyone has watched much in the way of Preston. His Cork form is an irrelevance.

In terms of goals in England, he scored about 1 in 5 when he was in league two.

This season he's scored 1 in 5 in the championship. He has done absolutely NOTHING to prove he's capable of leading the line for us.

He's still young and could go onto prove himself in the future bit right now he shouldn't and won't be a factor tonight.

I’d honestly feel a lot more confident with Shane in the team. He’s pretty effective at everything except scoring, and even though we can’t ignore his current drought he has 17 goals for Ireland.

People are definitely undervaluing his importance to the team. It’s similar to Robson-Kanu for Wales who has a worse goal scoring record than Long but has played an important role for them.

The Welsh defenders will be delighted they don’t have to deal with Long. If Murphy starts as a lone forward it will allow Wales to push up, dominate the game and we’ll struggle to get out.

If Maguire starts, he’s an unknown at this level and nobody can say with any confidence he’ll be more effective than Long.

The only good thing that might happen is that without Long we might be forced into playing more football and passing our way out of defence. But I can’t imagine MON will be emphasising that approach.

I doubt anyone has watched much in the way of Preston. His Cork form is an irrelevance.

In terms of goals in England, he scored about 1 in 5 when he was in league two.

This season he's scored 1 in 5 in the championship. He has done absolutely NOTHING to prove he's capable of leading the line for us.

He's still young and go onto prove himself in the future bit right now he shouldn't and won't be a factor tonight.

He has been in great form with a few MOTM awards. Wales have no problems throwing in a 17yr old reserve when needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Really nervous lads. Normally with Bale out I'd say we have a great chance but with the way we have been playing recently I am not so confident. However I think Wales won't play a posession game tonight as they will be as nervous as us. Anyways if we lose tonight or draw this wasn't the fixture that messed us up. It was Austria at home and Georgia away. Come on you boys in green, I'm sick of watching world cups with us not there.

He has been in great form with a few MOTM awards. Wales have no problems throwing in a 17yr old reserve when needed.

If we had a 17 year old who had started games for a top British club I'd be throwing him in the mix too.

But Maguire is 23. Look what lads like Lukaku and Harry Kane had done at that age. Look what Robbie Keane or Duffer had done at 23. The chances of finding untapped potential at 23 is a million times less than at 17.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I’d honestly feel a lot more confident with Shane in the team. He’s pretty effective at everything except scoring, and even though we can’t ignore his current drought he has 17 goals for Ireland.

People are definitely undervaluing his importance to the team. It’s similar to Robson-Kanu for Wales who has a worse goal scoring record than Long but has played an important role for them.

The Welsh defenders will be delighted they don’t have to deal with Long. If Murphy starts as a lone forward it will allow Wales to push up, dominate the game and we’ll struggle to get out.

If Maguire starts, he’s an unknown at this level and nobody can say with any confidence he’ll be more effective than Long.

The only good thing that might happen is that without Long we might be forced into playing more football and passing our way out of defence. But I can’t imagine MON will be emphasising that approach.

A strikers job is to score. All this talk of his movement reminds me of how Liverpool fans talked about how excellent Borini's movement and work effort was. At the end it produces nothing.

Maguire is just one idea. I'm just glad that MON is being forced to change the team and go for a win.

A strikers job is to score.  All this talk of his movement reminds me of how Liverpool fans talked about how excellent Borini's movement and work effort was.  At the end it produces nothing.

Maguire is just one idea.  I'm just glad that MON is being forced to change the team and go for a win.
    I can't see him changing much, I think we will try keep it 0-0 till the 70/75 minute mark and then go for it, Iv a feeling they will do us from a set piece ,hoping its 0-0 after 60 minutes and they feel the pressure from the home crowd and leave gaps for us ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Randolph ,
                      Myler 
            Hendricks   Arther  
                      Murphy

Maybe even Wes for Arter.

I'd definitely be throwing Maguire in as a wild card after 65 if we need a goal. McGeady as a last throw of the dice around 75/80.

Randolph ,
                      Myler 
            Hendricks   Arther  
                      Murphy

McGeady for Ward to go RW

If it’s 0-0 after 70 minutes I’d bring on Hogan before Maguire tbh.

• Advertisement

• Agree. But I can only see Wes being introduced for the last 20 mins if we still need a goal.

I never get this logic. Why can't he just do it the other way around, take him off after 60 or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭eamonpk

Really nervous lads. Normally with Bale out I'd say we have a great chance but with the way we have been playing recently I am not so confident. However I think Wales won't play a posession game tonight as they will be as nervous as us. Anyways if we lose tonight or draw this wasn't the fixture that messed us up. It was Austria at home and Georgia away. Come on you boys in green, I'm sick of watching world cups with us not there.
    Agree totally - I am more nervous now than Friday as I was confident of beating Moldova but was sure Georgia would be taking points off Wales. If it was narrowed down to one match that caused us to be in this position I would say it was the draw against Austria - should have won and a goal disallowed. Anyway all will be irrelevant if we can do it tonight COYBIG!

Yeah, for all the talk about Maguire, Hogan has actually scored more than him this season. Hourihane is another possible option, has scored as many as the two lads put together from Midfield.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Yeah, for all the talk about Maguire, Hogan has actually scored more than him this season. Hourihane is another possible option, has scored as many as the two lads put together from Midfield.

Here here, give the Englishman a run ffs

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I never get this logic. Why can't he just do it the other way around, take him off after 60 or something.

Hasn't the legs for the full 90, it's either the first 60 or the last 30, sometimes players can have a bigger impact later on as players tire.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Bandage

Surprised to see Arter feature in some preferred starting lineups. His display in Georgia was one of the most inept individual displays I've ever seen from an Ireland player and he rightly hasn't started a game since.

Randolph;
    Christie, Duffy, Clark, Ward;
    Meyler;
    Hendrick, Brady;
    Hoolahan, Murphy, McClean.

Hoolahan just played the hour against Moldova cant see him starting. He's not one of the young bucks. Shoulda been hooked at HT in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Would be very harsh to drop Ward, he has arguably been the most improved Irish player over the past two years and has performed quite well for us.

Long out is a spanner in the works, don't think he would have even started but he would have been ideal to bring on for the last 30 mins. I think we will set up quite defensively and go for it in the second half with Wes coming off the bench.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Yep, Ward is one of the first names on the sheet for me lately. Mad as he was dogsh!t before Burnley. Sean Dyche is a genius!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement