Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Bandage wrote: »
    Surprised to see Arter feature in some preferred starting lineups. His display in Georgia was one of the most inept individual displays I've ever seen from an Ireland player and he rightly hasn't started a game since.

Randolph;
    Christie, Duffy, Clark, Ward;
    Meyler;
    Hendrick, Brady;
    Hoolahan, Murphy, McClean.

Is that Brady in CM? No thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Rekop dog wrote: »
    If we had a 17 year old who had started games for a top British club I'd be throwing him in the mix too.

But Maguire is 23. Look what lads like Lukaku and Harry Kane had done at that age. Look what Robbie Keane or Duffer had done at 23. The chances of finding untapped potential at 23 is a million times less than at 17.

The amount of people ignoring all this is baffling
    No way he should start over Long tonight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

irishman86 wrote: »
    The amount of people ignoring all this is baffling
    No way he should start over Long tonight

Bit harsh forcing Shane to play when he's injured :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

That’d confuse Wales a bit alright .

The Match Fixing Police might even have to warm up .:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,167 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Would be very harsh to drop Ward, he has arguably been the most improved Irish player over the past two years and has performed quite well for us.

Long out is a spanner in the works, don't think he would have even started but he would have been ideal to bring on for the last 30 mins. I think we will set up quite defensively and go for it in the second half with Wes coming off the bench.

Tbf the only reason I say drop Ward is to make space for Brady. Hes best on the left side. Been poor when forced into the center, similar McClean is better on the left than the right. I doubt McClean/Brady will be dropped, so we have three natually good left sided players that get shoehorned into awkward places. Easier to bench Brady but can't see that happening.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Brady is very poor defensively though. Much rather see him on the wing in an attacking sense.

Unfortunately O'Dowda appears to be another LEFT sided player. McGeady remains our only natural right sided option.

My bad didnt realise he was injured, even still over Murphy
    Right now i'd have him behind Hogan christ even Rooney

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

pjohnson wrote: »
    Unfortunately O'Dowda appears to be another LEFT sided player. McGeady remains our only natural right sided option.
    There was a time there when England couldn't come up with a decent left sided player and your saying we are tripping over them :D

blinding wrote: »
    There was a time there when England couldn't come up with a decent left sided player and your saying we are tripping over them :D

And not a single one would start for England when they needed a left sided player
    At a push Brady might have made a couple of squads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

Long is a loss. I think Wales will be going all out from the start and will be susceptible to counter attacks, this is where Long's speed would have been useful. Murphy is a threat from set pieces and crosses but would have preferred Long to start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

While McGeady is right footed he's wasted on the right as he's more a player who loves to cut inside rather than beat his man and whip in crosses so like nearly all our wide men his best position is on the left.

Of all our wide players the only lad who is most comfortable on the right is possibly Johnny Hayes. O'Dowda seems to play left and right for club, think he's played his last couple of games on the right for Bristol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I forgot about Conor Hourihane , but I think itll be the next campaign when he starts to make an impression ,
    Arter has been poor for Ireland but I still see him starting,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,850 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    randolph
    christie-duffy-clark-brady
    myler-artur
    mcgeady-hoolahan-mcclean
    murphy

That’s what we should go with. Good picks.

He won’t start Hoolahan though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Would be very harsh to drop Ward, he has arguably been the most improved Irish player over the past two years and has performed quite well for us.

Long out is a spanner in the works, don't think he would have even started but he would have been ideal to bring on for the last 30 mins. I think we will set up quite defensively and go for it in the second half with Wes coming off the bench.

Tbf the only reason I say drop Ward is to make space for Brady. Hes best on the left side. Been poor when forced into the center, similar McClean is better on the left than the right. I doubt McClean/Brady will be dropped, so we have three natually good left sided players that get shoehorned into awkward places. Easier to bench Brady but can't see that happening.

I'd even question if Brady offers more than Ward going forward. Didn't Ward put in that cross for Murphy in the last game. Ward himself used to be a winger, if i recall right, plus of course he;'s better than Brady defensively.
    Anyways, I think MON will definitely start with Ward anyways. So Brady is likely to be at midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I never get this logic. Why can't he just do it the other way around, take him off after 60 or something.

I know. That's the way MON seems to work. I can see him doing it again tonight.

I'd even question if Brady offers more than Ward going forward. Didn't Ward put in that cross for Murphy in the last game. Ward himself used to be a winger, if i recall right, plus of course he;'s better than Brady defensively.
    Anyways, I think MON will definitely start with Ward anyways. So Brady is likely to be at midfield.
    Ward in his Bohs days was a striker I think he converted to a LW during his time in England before sliding back into the defence. I do really like him but Brady midfield is awful. The Welsh could have 4 men in the middle so we cant afford a midfield passenger.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

O'Neill seems to love the 4-4-2 with an insanely tight diamond. Due to this, I think the team will probably be the following:

Randolph
    Christie
    Duffy
    Clark
    Ward
    Meyler

Hendrick
    Arter/O'Dowda

Brady

Murphy
    McClean

I don't think he'd ever in a million years start one of Maguire or Hogan so up step McClean up front. The only question is Arter or O'Dowda in midfield for me. Be amazed if the other ten don't start.

Ward was at one stage a striker, even for the under 21's, then a left winger and then a left full, he has really improved and is a great pro who knows his own limitations, He will start tonight no doubt
    Brady will play for his set plays, even though they have been pretty poor lately bar the freekick v Leeds which was a belter,
    It's up top where we will struggle, we need to unsettle the Wales backline and Murphy won't do that,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

brady delivery has been shocking over the past few matches... I used to be a big critic of ward like many here, but I will say he has improved a hell of a lot over the past year or two...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Bandage

Bandage wrote: »
    Surprised to see Arter feature in some preferred starting lineups. His display in Georgia was one of the most inept individual displays I've ever seen from an Ireland player and he rightly hasn't started a game since.

Randolph;
    Christie, Duffy, Clark, Ward;
    Meyler;
    Hendrick, Brady;
    Hoolahan, Murphy, McClean.

Is that Brady in CM? No thanks.

Brady has had some excellent games for Ireland on the left side of a central midfield three with a holder behind him, especially in the Euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭kfrp

Going by past away tactics I'm predicting the below with our hopes resting on set pieces for the most.

I'd say the 4 5 1 with Meyler, Brady, McClean, Hendrick, O Douda

McClean playing off Murphy in attacking midfield role.

Meyler in the Whelan role, Hendrick on the right, O Douda left.

Brady in center mid.

Hoolahan to come on for the last half hour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

Darren R
    Christie Duffy Clarke Ward
    Meyler
    O'Dowda Hendrick Brady
    McLean
    Murphy

This would be my team, with the possibility of O'Dowda, Brady and McClean switching at times throughout the game to mix it up.

If we're drawing at 60 I'd sub whichever two is offering the least and bring on Wes and Seanie. People are rightly pointing out his lack of goals for Preston but he has played well in an unfamiliar position. He is a natural goal scorer in my opinion and if we are to get one chance I'd love it to fall to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

It probably also favours Brady and McClean starting that they didn't play on Friday night, so are fresher and can hopefully go full pelt for the full 90. We'll need our 3 subs elsewhere, 
    I guess Wales will be a similar first 11 to the one that played in Georgia, and were put udner pressure right into injury time at the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Wales get a lot of their goals attacking down their right side.
    We need to be at it from the off and I don';t really like Brady or Ward defending our left. They are good going forward but weak defending imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I know we all hate the tactics but I really think that we need to have a strong defensive set up tonight.

Wales have not conceded more than 1 goal in a home game since the last World Cup qualifying campaign in 2013. And they've played some decent sides in that time.

That means if we're going to get the win we need, 1-0 is the most likely way of doing that. If we concede we don't have a hope.

We need to stop them playing their game, go in hard from the first whistle, and get them nervous by showing them that they can't break them down. We don't have a slick attack or quick counter, but we need to be direct in going forward and looking to trouble them with every deep set piece, corner, and Christie throw in going on top of the keeper.

Not pretty, but I don't care how we play if we get the win at the end. We're up against it but if we play it right we have a chance. COYBIG

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

COYBIG

Today is about getting behind the team and hopefully what would be a terrific result.
    Welcome aboard amigo

MON is exactly the right manager to have in your corner for a game like the one tonight. I think we will get the better of Wales. It's just a matter of finding that bit of composure to take the opportunities that come our way and bury Wales.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭MojoRisinnnn

TheCitizen wrote: »
    MON is exactly the right manager to have in your corner for a game like the one tonight. I think we will get the better of Wales. It's just a matter of finding that bit of composure to take the opportunities that come our way and bury Wales.
    #

Very good point. I'm listening to Sadlier on Second Captains and he's talking about exactly that and how we need to perform a balancing act between getting stuck into them yet staying composed and how some players struggle to do so.

• Advertisement

MON is exactly the right manager to have in your corner for a game like the one tonight.  I think we will get the better of Wales. It's just a matter of finding that bit of composure to take the opportunities that come our way and bury Wales.
    We may win but I think MON is useless 90% of the time we look like a bunch of lads that have never meet each other before and have no game plan but that's a story for another day just get the win tonight any way possible

U21s kicking off just now against Israel, same starting 11 named from the previous game against Norway.

Hopefully it's a good start to todays games with a win for the 21s before the seniors do the business.

U21s 1-0 after 30 second, Reece Grego Cox with the goal.

We may win but I think MON is useless 90% of the time we look like a bunch of lads that have never meet each other before and have no game plan but that's a story for another day just get the win tonight any way possible
    If we win tonight which you think we 'may' do that will be us into a play off for the second tournament running. I don't know how that tallies with your assessment that he's useless 90% of the time?, and I can't understand how you got a 'thanks' for such an idiotic comment.

#

Very good point. I'm listening to Sadlier on Second Captains and he's talking about exactly that and how we need to perform a balancing act between getting stuck into them yet staying composed and how some players struggle to do so.

Describing McClean to a T there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,178 ✭✭✭✭josip

Maybe all the lads for/against MON could agree to let tonight's result decide this long running debate?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Huh, didn't know our u21's were top of their group, that's encouraging.

Aside from Rice who's meant to be the prospects in that side?

josip wrote: »
    Maybe all the lads for/against MON could agree to let tonight's result decide this long running debate?
    The lads against MON will never change. There's a poster on this thread a few pages back that said even if we win and then get through the play offs and get to Russia that it wouldn't be worth it cos of the style we play. This is despite the fact that when we did qualify last time for the Euros we performed well in most games when we got there. There's no legislating for that level of stupidity.

MON will be judged on his results, those lads against him no matter what he does are irrelevant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

If we lose tonight these threads will be a no go area for me for a few months. Couldn't handle the inevitable drivel.

The lads against MON will never change. There's a poster on this thread a few pages back that said even if we win and then get through the play offs and get to Russia that it wouldn't be worth it cos of the style we play. This is despite the fact that when we did qualify last time for the Euros we performed well in most games when we got there. There's no legislating for that level of stupidity.

MON will be judged on his results, those lads against him no matter what he does are irrelevant.

This isnt true
    Lots of people are against MON but want Ireland to succeed
    He should not have been given a new contract before the end of qualifying
    He got us to the Euros as its been extended, its not the achievement you are making it to be
    I want MON gone as he is a dinosaur but i will cheer on Ireland in every game

Rekop dog wrote: »
    If we lose tonight these threads will be a no go area for me for a few months. Couldn't handle the inevitable drivel.
    If we win half of that lot won't be seen, and the other half will clamber back on to the bandwagon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Describing McClean to a T there
    the last game against serbia was ridiculous, at least the last 10-15 where we were desperate for a goal. no composure, going for the miracle hero goal from miles away from the goal...

I cant recall what he was like before desperation stage, but during it, it was stupid stuff...

This isnt true
    Lots of people are against MON but want Ireland to succeed
    He should not have been given a new contract before the end of qualifying
    He got us to the Euros as its been extended, its not the achievement you are making it to be
    I want MON gone as he is a dinosaur but i will cheer on Ireland in every game

It is true, do you want me to find the relevant quote from the poster I was referring to?

If we win tonight and qualify via the play offs, will you still want him gone "'cos he's a dinosaur"?

If we win tonight and qualify via the play offs, will you still want him gone "'cos he's a dinosaur"?

Yes after the world cup
    Ireland will never grow while hes in charge
    Will you want him to stay if we lose if so well you are a blind sheep as third in a group which you lead is pathetic

Idbatterim wrote: »
    the last game against serbia was ridiculous, at least the last 10-15 where we were desperate for a goal. no composure, going for the miracle hero goal from miles away from the goal...

I cant recall what he was like before desperation stage, but during it, it was stupid stuff...

Hes the same whether were hunting a goal or not
    He always wants to be the hero and if a goal doesnt look like coming he will hunt for a big hit to get some adulation from the crowd

Idbatterim wrote: »

Do you recall the composure he showed when taking 3 goalscoring opportunities earlier in the campaign or has that slipped your mind.

Yes after the world cup
    Ireland will never grow while hes in charge
    Will you want him to stay if we lose if so well you are a blind sheep as third in a group which you lead is pathetic
    If we get to the World Cup you think we should voluntarily get rid of a manager that has qualified us for two tournaments running?:pac:

As I said, there's no legislating for that level of stupidity.

If we get to the World Cup you think we should voluntarily get rid of a manager that has qualified us for two tournaments running?:pac:

As I said, there's no legislating for that level of stupidity.

Good to see you didnt answer the question asked isnt it :rolleyes:

We should have already qualified for the world cup alas DinoMartin choked and resorted to looking for draws

Do you recall the composure he showed when taking 3 goalscoring opportunities earlier in the campaign or has that slipped your mind.

Two against the mighty Moldova
    What about his misses like against Georgia which is just one of many :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,123 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Good to see you didnt answer the question asked isnt it :rolleyes:

We should have already qualified for the world cup alas DinoMartin choked and resorted to looking for draws

In fairness we were 4th seeds in the group, we were always going to be up against it.

Who do you suggest would replace him?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

2-0 U21's

Charlsley

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement