Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

irishman86 wrote: »
    Good to see you didnt answer the question asked isnt it :rolleyes:
    What question, what are you blathering about?
    We should have already qualified for the world cup alas DinoMartin choked and resorted to looking for draws
    So if we beat Wales tonight and go through via the play offs you're going to come along and say we should have qualified anyway? That's just daft thinking, utter nonsense, and as I said earlier ultimately irrelevant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

I guess he will go with the 4 5 1 tonight with Murphy up top alone, and using McClean bombing on to support him.

So we will have very little possession again if he tries this as Murphy is just not mobile enough and McClean will struggle to get onto any headers form Murphy.

We have to start Holohan to try and get some of the ball, otherwise it will be backs to the wall and honestly we will struggle big time.

What are the odds the headless chicken McClean will get sent off tonight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

3-0 U21

Greco Cox penalty

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,941 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

3-0 U21

Greco Cox penalty

he has a cool hair style bring him into the senior squad lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭twilight_singer

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Huh, didn't know our u21's were top of their group, that's encouraging.

Aside from Rice who's meant to be the prospects in that side?

Josh Cullen, Ronan Curtis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

TheCitizen wrote: »
    We may win but I think MON is useless 90% of the time we look like a bunch of lads that have never meet each other before and have no game plan but that's a story for another day just get the win tonight any way possible
    If we win tonight which you think we 'may' do that will be us into a play off for the second tournament running. I don't know how that tallies with your assessment that he's useless 90% of the time?, and I can't understand how you got a 'thanks' for such an idiotic comment.
    We don't even have a style of play after 2 campaigns under MON,
    We played awful football under him and Trap but at least with Trap had a game plan of defending well, with MON we just seem to roll out 11 lads and see what happens,
    We should be in a much better position going into tonight's game and aren't because of our manager, to me he bring nothing,

What do you think he has done well ? or what traits has in out into our team ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    In fairness we were 4th seeds in the group, we were always going to be up against it.

Who do you suggest would replace him?

We were top of the group then choked
    Look at the teams they arent better than us besides Bale/Alaba/Matic
    The sum of Irelands team is level with the others, we didnt have a Spain/Germany/France/etc for that to be a excuse

I like what Kenny has had Dundalk, i think he would be a popular choice alas after MON i see it being Keane :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

The lads against MON will never change. There's a poster on this thread a few pages back that said even if we win and then get through the play offs and get to Russia that it wouldn't be worth it cos of the style we play. This is despite the fact that when we did qualify last time for the Euros we performed well in most games when we got there. There's no legislating for that level of stupidity.

MON will be judged on his results, those lads against him no matter what he does are irrelevant.

In fairness the pro-O'Neill people, regardless of situation, is the same thing. It works both ways. You've been very pro-O'Neill but yet criticised people for having a bias or vendetta against him, all while swatting away a lot of educated criticism against him. I wouldn't consider myself wholly in either camp but I find criticism of him inevitably turns into the 'we weren't good enough' in the first place stuff. Hopefully the job is done tonight and management and players take the praise for qualifying, that's what it all comes down to in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

We were top of the group then choked
    Look at the teams they arent better than us besides Bale/Alaba/Matic
    The sum of Irelands team is level with the others, we didnt have a Spain/Germany/France/etc for that to be a excuse

I like what Kenny has had Dundalk, i think he would be a popular choice alas after MON i see it being Keane :(

Kenny would be my choice also.

Totally agree with your other point also.

• Advertisement

We played awful football under him and Trap but at least with Trap had a game plan of defending well, with MON we just seem to roll out 11 lads and see what happens,
    We should be in a much better position going into tonight's game and aren't because of our manager, to me he bring nothing,

If we win tonight that will be us in the play offs for the second tournament running and you're saying he 'brings nothing':pac: Where do you even start with nonsense like that

What question, what are you blathering about?

So if we beat Wales tonight and go through via the play offs you're going to come along and say we should have qualified anyway? That's just daft thinking, utter nonsense, and as I said earlier ultimately irrelevant.

Is MON still the man you want if we lose, maybe read questions fully instead of ranting :rolleyes:
    Your going to follow MON no matter what, so tbh i see your view as stupid in this case
    Your argument is this, so if we do X and then do Y.................you still dont think hes the man for the job, well then you dont know what your talking about

My point is that if we lose tonight he should go regardless of new contract no x or y's or prayers :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Huh, didn't know our u21's were top of their group, that's encouraging.

Aside from Rice who's meant to be the prospects in that side?

Hard to really know, Rice should be up with the seniors after this qualifying campaign but other than him I can't think of anyone else who might break into the senior set up. Ryan Manning was doing well last season at times but not really sure how he's been doing this season. He must be just over age for the 21s (turns 22 in November) but Liam Kelly will be someone who'll probably make the step up to the senior team over the next few months, playing well with Reading at the moment and has made a few squads.

Corholio wrote: »
    In fairness the pro-O'Neill people, regardless of situation, is the same thing. It works both ways. You've been very pro-O'Neill but yet criticised people for having a bias or vendetta against him, all while swatting away a lot of educated criticism against him. I wouldn't consider myself wholly in either camp but I find criticism of him inevitably turns into the 'we weren't good enough' in the first place stuff. Hopefully the job is done tonight and management and players take the praise for qualifying, that's what it all comes down to in the end.

You got there in the end. He will be judged on his results. If he gets us to tournaments and performs well in them he is doing the job he is paid for satisfactorily. If he doesn't he isn't.

If we win tonight that will be us in the play offs for the second tournament running and you're saying he 'brings nothing':pac: Where do you even start with nonsense like that

Start from the beginning buddy
    Or spout nonsense, i see youve gone for the second option :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

You got there in the end. He will be judged on his results. If he gets us to tournaments and performs well in them he is doing the job he is paid for satisfactorily. If he doesn't he isn't.

Let's not critique anything inbetween though. Gotcha.

• Advertisement

Is MON still the man you want if we lose, maybe read questions fully instead of ranting :rolleyes:
    Your going to follow MON no matter what, so tbh i see your view as stupid in this case
    Your argument is this, so if we do X and then do Y.................you still dont think hes the man for the job, well then you dont know what your talking about

My point is that if we lose tonight he should go regardless of new contract no x or y's or prayers :pac:
    Nope, that's where you're wrong, I never said that. The rest of your post is gibberish. Clear up what you're trying to say if you want people to debate with you.

Can you not answer my question what good traits has MON brought to our team ?
    Just cause we may reach a play off doesn't mean he's been great . We should have had it wrapped up long ago, He's been terrible with Ireland in my opinion, he has had zero impact on the team we have NO style of play at all, we aren't even a well drilled or compact team, every game is just 11 lads and see what happens,
    I hope we win tonight and the play off I really do but I do not think MON is a good manger at all ,
    Can you point to any traits he has given the team since he's been in charge ?

Nope, that's where you're wrong, I never said that. The rest of your post is gibberish. Clear up what you're trying to say if you want people to debate with you.

You clearly do
    Once again maybe read the post, its clearly understandable alas similar to MON you dont have a clue what you are talking about in this case
    I'm sure you could dominate in Scotland though :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Do you recall the composure he showed when taking 3 goalscoring opportunities earlier in the campaign or has that slipped your mind.
    no of course it hasnt, I was referring to the serbia game. I think the wales game will be similar tonight, it will be very tight. we need composure not him trying to single handedly win the game! Hes nearly the kind of player I would put on in a nothing to lose scenario... I can see the welsh potentially targeting him to get him sent off...

No I didn't say that. What I have a problem with is with a certain cohort on here who would want him gone even if he gets us to Russia. That lot don't seem to get it that qualifying for tournaments is not something Ireland can take for granted, they are utterly deluded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

No I didn't say that. What I have a problem with is with a certain cohort on here who would want him gone even if he gets us to Russia. That lot don't seem to get it that qualifying for tournaments is not something Ireland can take for granted, they are utterly deluded.

I have a big issue with renewing the contract before we know whether or not we will get to russia... maybe the fai though there were no better realistic alternatives. One area of debate will be ended soon enough anyway I expect, the hoolihan one, Oneill is probably delighted this will be his last campaign... :rolleyes:

Just cause we may reach a play off doesn't mean he's been great . We should have had it wrapped up long ago, He's been terrible with Ireland in my opinion, he has had zero impact on the team we have NO style of play at all, we aren't even a well drilled or compact team, every game is just 11 lads and see what happens,
    I hope we win tonight and the play off I really do but I do not think MON is a good manger at all ,
    When they play tonight they will play with no fear. They will not be overawed by the occasion. That's what he brings.

That's something that can't be taken for granted. Look at Scotland yesterday. They were 1 up at half time they were heading for the play offs. They came out in the second half and bottled it.

Ireland will not bottle it tonight and the management team deserves credit for that. Knowledgeable people about the game will give him that credit.

No I didn't say that.  What I have a problem with is with a certain cohort on here who would want him gone even if he gets us to Russia. That lot don't seem to get it that qualifying for tournaments is not something Ireland can take for granted, they are utterly deluded.
    We all want to qualify , im curious why you can't give us an answer as to what you think he has brought to the team ? What of his management can you see when we play ?
    Has he got our defence compact ? has he got the midfield working well ? what is it that you think he has us doing well that he deserves to get another contract ?

Idbatterim wrote: »
    I have a big issue with renewing the contract before we know whether or not we will get to russia... maybe the fai though there were no better realistic alternatives. One area of debate will be ended soon enough anyway I expect, the hoolihan one, Oneill is probably delighted this will be his last campaign... :rolleyes:
    If Martin O'Neill didn't want to use Hoolahan as he does on certain occasions he wouldn't even have him in the squad. He doesn't give a shít what pundits or barstoolers think.

We all want to qualify , im curious why you can't give us an answer as to what you think he has brought to the team ? What of his management can you see when we play ?
    Has he got our defence compact ? has he got the midfield working well ? what is it that you think he has us doing well that he deserves to get another contract ?
    See above

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

When they play tonight they will play with no fear. They will not be overawed by the occasion. That's what he brings.

That's something that can't be taken for granted. Look at Scotland yesterday. They were 1 up at half time they were heading for the play offs. They came out in the second half and bottled it.

Ireland will not bottle it tonight and the management team deserves credit for that. Knowledgeable people about the game will give him that credit.

I've no issue with MON being given another campaign but the "they play with no fear" comment is misplaced. It's been our biggest flaw all campaign.

That's something that can't be taken for granted.  Look at Scotland yesterday. They were 1 up at half time they were heading for the play offs. They came out in the second half and bottled it.

Is this like they had no fear in the last few big games ,Serbia at home, Wales at home, Austria at home, Gerogia away where was this no fear approach ,we bottled all of them
    What are you even basing the no fear off as we are yet to show it in any game under him .
    You just picked something with out of the air that we have show zero evidence of before ?
    haha your some joker do you even watch footballl

I've no issue with MON being given another campaign but the "they play with no fear" comment is misplaced. It's been our biggest flaw all campaign.
    When we're at our best he has the team playing with no fear, they can get big results when required.

The problem with this campaign has been consistency. They definitely went off track when ahead and top of the Group. I think they'll get back on track tonight.

Hes been overawed since the forth game
    Just nonsense
    How else do you explain drawing 3 out of 4 games if not for a manager struggling with expectations

Is this like they had no fear in the last few big games ,Serbia at home, Wales at home, Austria at home, Gerogia away where was this no fear approach ,we bottled all of them
    What are you even basing the no fear off as we are yet to show it in any game under him .
    You just picked something with out of the air that we have show zero evidence of before ?
    haha your some joker do you even watch footballl
    :pac:

• Advertisement

When we're at our best he has the team playing with no fear, they can get big results when required.

The problem with this campaign has been consistency. They definitely went off track when ahead and top of the Group. I think they'll get back on track tonight.

Except in 3 of the last 4 games where he didnt get them......ok then

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭kfrp

Team announced

Randolph

Christie Duffy Clarke Ward

Whelan Artur Hendrick Brady McClean

Murphy

There's the no fear starting Whelan ahead of Myler MON has no fear of crashing out

There's the no fear starting Whelan ahead of Myler MON has no fear of crashing out

kfrp wrote: »
    Team announced

Randolph

Murphy

www.journal.ie/42/irelandvswales

FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

Team announced

Randolph

Murphy

Not funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

4-0

Greco Cox

Seven Worlds will Collide

The link isn't real.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Would have thought Myler would start but other than that it is as expected and pretty much our best available starting eleven. My only question will be is McLean starting as a second striker or is he / someone else from midfield being pushed out right.

lets wait for the real team

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Im not seeing that team anywhere else on twitter etc :confused:

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Fake news

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Team announced

Randolph

Murphy

Thats a dead link, are you acting the mick?

4-0

Greco Cox

Based solely on reading this thread today I want to see Ireland once more have a strikeforce that reads long cox!

How good is Greco supposed to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Greco-Cox now only 2 goals behind Brady's record of 7 for the U21 team

Any chance we can take him off at half time and stick him on a plane to Cardiff...?

• Advertisement

Just reading up on his stats and has he had a bad run with injuries or something? played 4 premier league games for QPR when he was around 17 but has only played while on loan in league 2 last year since then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

His name is Grego-Cox. I watched the game against Norway a few days ago and he was a real handful, although he missed a sitter in the game which could have got us the win.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭brilou23

I can understand people defending the O'Neill but the team look nervous when ahead and withdraw in to there own half. We only attack when behind and that's when we play are best stuff. We qualified and won under trap but we could all see it was going backwards all the time before he crashed out I feel the same is happening again. Im 100% behind the players tonight and hope they do a paris and throw the shackles of despite a negative manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

Thats a dead link, are you acting the mick?

Spelled Clark wrong to start with. Why would MoN change a lifetime tradition tonight?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement