Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    Yeah born in London

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Where's Grego Cox from? Can England nab him?

He's English but no fear of England coming in for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

no they can't, his milkman is irish....so he's playing for us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Hopefully they continue to impress, we badly need new talent to come through. Think I'll go to the Germany match to do a bit of scouting myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

PhilipsR wrote: »
    Not funny.

So the most creative player we have not playing, if he can't handle two games in a few days, maybe you should have rested him against Moldova Martin "negative" O'Neill

I'd be starting Glenn tonight tbh, you need all the experience you can get on nights like these and he had 10 odd years playing consistently in the premiership. Don't think either Myler or Arter have been all that impressive to warrant displacing him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭brilou23

Rekop dog wrote: »
    I'd be starting Glenn tonight tbh, you need all the experience you can get on nights like these and he had 10 odd years playing consistently in the premiership. Don't think either Myler or Arter have been all that impressive to warrant displacing him.

You must be a troll.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Myler has played well. Arter has been disappointing in an Ireland shirt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,167 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

M-E-yler people theres an E in there.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

pjohnson wrote: »
    M-E-yler people theres an E in there.

People still struggle with Hendrick :pac:

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

PhilipsR wrote: »
    O'Neill seems to love the 4-4-2 with an insanely tight diamond. Due to this, I think the team will probably be the following:

Randolph
    Christie
    Duffy
    Clark
    Ward
    Meyler

Hendrick
    Arter/O'Dowda

Brady

Murphy
    McClean

I don't think he'd ever in a million years start one of Maguire or Hogan so up step McClean up front. The only question is Arter or O'Dowda in midfield for me. Be amazed if the other ten don't start.

This team looks realistic. Agree that Arter/O'Dowda/Hoolahan/Whelan is the only position up for grabs with the rest fairly nailed on to start.

MON is in for a roasting unless we win tonight I think, which I'm not sure is entirely fair, but we can have that conversation tomorrow if we have to. He is in a tough position because I think most people would agree that if we concede we are done, yet if we set out defensively he is going to be criticized. Really is hard to predict how this one will go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I bet Whelan is in the team.

He's still our best defensive midfielder and offers the side most balance so here's hoping.

This team looks realistic. Agree that Arter/O'Dowda/Hoolahan/Whelan is the only position up for grabs with the rest fairly nailed on to start.

MON is in for a roasting unless we win tonight I think, which I'm not sure is entirely fair, but we can have that conversation tomorrow if we have to. He is in a tough position because I think most people would agree that if we concede we are done, yet if we set out defensively he is going to be criticized. Really is hard to predict how this one will go.

TBH hes in for a roasting IF we win aswell by some of the whingers.

He's still our best defensive midfielder and offers the side most balance so here's hoping.

Whelan offers absolutely nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

Arter Mcclean and Meyler start

Ireland: Randolph, Ward, Clark, Duffy, Christie, Brady, Hendrick, Meyler, Arter, McClean, Murphy

brilou23 wrote: »
    Whelan offers absolutely nothing.

Ah yeah, good mangers like Pulis played him every match just for the sake of it. Please refrain from posting if you're that clueless.

DLto2m6X4AElJ-C?format=png

Ah yeah, good mangers like Pulis played him every match just for the sake of it. Please refrain from posting if you're that clueless.

If you think he is so good ur clueless and finally o Neill sees what everybody else has seen. We have played better football with meyler in and him out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

That's such a defensive team for a game we have to win. He's going to try and keep in 0-0 until the 70th minute and hope to nick something with a couple of changes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Right so to mansplain this once again for those saying we have no tactics under MoN...

Our attacking game plan is based on crosses and set pieces and when Wes plays he is responsible for producing 1-3 pieces of magic a game to unlock the opposition defence. We do not normally pass through the midfield, the midfield normally looks to pass to the wings. the midfield is there to create a dead zone where it doesn’t hurt the opposition and the opposition doesn’t hurt us.

Individually with all players available our most important attacker is probably Séamus Coleman. His job for attacking is to try to hit the opposition byline up to 5 times a game. The second most important attacker is Robbie Brady and his crossing ability. Brady is an unusual player in that he is a extremely good crosser from positions that are not that far within the opposition half so an advanced left back position. He doesn’t get in a conventional crossing position near the corner flag all that often.

McClean and Long are there because they are direct, have great stamina and heart. McClean particularly is one of the fittest players Ireland has ever had. They are all rounders who make the opposition feel uncomfortable due to the physical talents they have.

Wes as stated is there to pick the lock up to three times a game. He is a luxury player as if he doesn’t provide these moments of magic there is very little else he is doing. Similar to Robbie Keane from about 2010 on.

Everyone else is basically there to stop and impede the opposition from their rhythm.

We are a direct team especially since coleman has got injured but those that dismiss us MoN as a long ball manager aren’t really correct. There is variety in our play.

That is our tactics in the opposition half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

That's such a defensive team for a game we have to win. He's going to try and keep in 0-0 until the 70th minute and hope to nick something with a couple of changes.

Our most realistic chance of winning I would say. If we started Wes we wouldn't have much to change the game later when legs tire and space opens up.

Our most realistic chance of winning I would say. If we started Wes we wouldn't have much to change the game later when legs tire and space opens up.

Agreed but I would have like to see O'Dowda given a start after he had such an impressive game last time out. Even if that meant just giving him 45 minutes and playing Whelan and using him as a defensive shield to free-up O'Dowda to attack. I just don't see any other creative presence in that midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Dots1982 wrote: »
    when Wes plays he is responsible for producing 1-3 pieces of magic a game to unlock the opposition defence.
    Wes as stated is there to pick the lock up to three times a game. He is a luxury player as if he doesn’t provide these moments of magic there is very little else he is doing.

This is absolute bollox if thats what you think Wes does.

When he's in the team we have a player who shows for the ball and they give it to him. He has the confidence and ability to take the ball to feet, turn and either drive into space or give a FORWARD pass with the ball. It's not about defence splitting passes....its about being able to keep the ball.

Scenario A. Ward picks up the ball and plays it into Wes. He turns, and plays it forward to McClean who drives up the line with it into a dangerous area.

Scenario B. Ward picks up the ball and plays it to ANY OF OUR other midfielders. They panic, play it back to Randolph. He hoofs it for a 50/50.

See the difference?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Some Dunphyesque overrating of Hoolahan going on here.

He's 35 and plays for Norwich lads.

• Advertisement

I dont care if he plays for Rushden and Diamonds.....he is one of the few players we have comfortable receieving the ball to feet.

Kirby wrote: »
    I dont care if he plays for Rushden and Diamonds.....he is one of the few players we have comfortable receieving the ball to feet.

Surely all professional footballers can receive the ball with their feet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,121 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    This would be my team with Long and Wes to come off the bench for the last half hour and possibly McGeady last 15 minutes or Whelan to see the game out should we be ahead. Sure enough i'll have forgotten someone. COYBIG

Randolph

Christie - Duffy - Clark - Ward

Hendrick - Meyler - Arter

Brady - McLean

Murphy

BOOM!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

In fairness to Martin he's probably picked our best team to start. Over to the players now.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Godot.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Surely all professional footballers can receive the ball with their feet!

Wes Hoolahan has vision, something none of our other midfielders have. All the others go with the safe, 5 yard pass option. Anything good Ireland do on the attack is usually as a result of Hoolahan.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

None of them have said guile yet. If Brady at least doesn't then I want the licence fee back.

Plenty of wes wes wes already! I can already see the analysis after the game.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Despite O' Neill, I have hope. I hope the players will do what players sometimes do, ignore what the manager says and just go out there and put a performance in. We saw it against France before. It could happen again. They all know we need to win this game.

I'm hoping than in spite of everything, we come out with a win.

Kirby wrote: »
    Despite O' Neill, I have hope. I hope the players will do what players sometimes do, ignore what the manager says and just go out there and put a performance in. We saw it against France before. It could happen again. They all know we need to win this game.

I'm hoping than in spite of everything, we come out with a win.

Exactly how I feel.

It's a very old cliche but the first 15 minutes of this game is very important.
    We must settle and keep possession better than we have been doing of late.
    We must make sure they don't score early and shut up shop.
    I think we should just go all out and go for it. Use Jack's old mantra "put them under pressure".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

I like Wes but the carry on with the panel would be the equivalent of Wales dropping Bale

Wes has only started 4 games for Norwich this year and was subbed off in 2 of them. He's 35, you'd swear he was the messiah

Bringing him off the bench if needed is the right call.

Not optimistic about tonight but we have delivered sometimes in the past when it wasn't likely so I'm clinging to that!

Brady giving out that Wes doesn't start yet when he was involved himself with the team Wes hardly ever got a look in.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Class stadium all the same

CMON IRELAND!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

That was pretty brilliant to be fair.

• Advertisement

The signs are not good here. Has O'Neill hoofball written all over it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

No he isnt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,605 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

We must have 5% possession

How does O'Neill think this will work in a must win game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,590 ✭✭✭baldbear

murpho999 wrote: »
    How does O'Neill think this will work in a must win game?

Probably has a cunning plan?

9 games on the go now, all started at the same time and after 27 minutes not one goal which is very unusual.

We're so poor on the ball. Lump it to Murphy seems to be the only plan.

• Advertisement

Awful football. It was worthwhile bringing Brady and McClean back :pac: as both have been very effective.
    Do we only need a draw now?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement