Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

elefant wrote: »
    Games against the bottom sides in each group don't count for the sake of calculating the top 8 runners-up.

OK thanks !

Just to make things more confusing so ... :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

briany wrote: »
    I understand its a fantastic win but holy god we are awful at football, we must have strung about 6 passes together the whole game, We can not afford to be so bad on the ball in the play off,

Martin O' Neill and his team probably agree with you, here. They might say, "We cannot afford to be so bad on the ball. Therefore, we will stay off it, and concentrate on maintaining our defensive shape, and strive to take advantage on the counter, and/or from set-piece play."

I'm not a fan of the defensive style because it makes for frustrating and stressful viewing, but what's not often said is that watching Ireland really try to pass the ball can be just as bad, because there isn't this feeling that an Irish pass to feet will find its man with that eerily magnetic precision reminiscent of the top, top teams. There's always that fear that it'll be misplaced, not only giving possession back to the opponents, but in a place deep in in Ireland's half, and before Ireland can defensively organise.
    I'd agree with you if the opposition is pressing high and is much better than us, but Wales where not pressing high and aren't all that,
    Duffy must have given the ball away about 10 times under no pressure with hoofs up the pitch ,Don't get me wrong he defended super last night , although Wales just kept lumping it onto his head and never got to play down the lines where he struggles but that was down to our full back and Myler playing nice and compact  ,
    Great result last night and some great defending  but I do think we will need to keep the ball better , I'm not saying we need to attack or open ourselves up but we need much better ball retention ,
    Again a mobile striker might help make them long balls look better,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

I wouldn't mind Northern Ireland - nice memories from the 1990 qualifier :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Teams extended to allow for qualification to euros! :D

Germany games are without question his biggest achievement the rest great results but reality is Italy were a weakened side already qualified and Bosnia were possibly the most keenly sought after opposition ahead of the draw.

Austria away result was unexpected at the time but it's shown they were no great shakes by the time of the home game a win wouldn't have been a stretch but it was!!..LUCKILY we somehow managed an equalizer late on.

Serbia conceded 4 more goals this campaign than us they were no great shakes either, our top seeds were Wales :D this time out, again was that not LUCK??. Should've been a dead rubber at the turn of year but penultimate game in end.

Performances have not been good all the time? Good performances?? :confused: Can count them on 1 hand

This post is worse than any of the ridiculous bile Dunphy has spewed over the years, and at least he could blame RTE scripting and cocaine....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

It was a great win, we were underdogs but our team is suited to games where our backs are against the wall rather than have the incentive to dictate the game.

I liked the look of the midfield. It was positive and balanced - Meyler can break up play, Arter can dictate play, and Hendrick will go box to box. I don't think we need Glen Whelan anymore. James McCarthy should have to work his way in, he's never really performed well enough for Ireland. I also think that injuries, other than Coleman, weren't missed and were maybe even a positive as they meant that we had to play certain players. Long has been dire and I don't think Walters should be playing anymore - Brady is naturally a winger and he's most threatening there. The 11 we played last night plus Coleman would have been our strongest/form team right now I think.

This win doesn't mean that our campaign has been a perfect success - we still need to right some wrongs. For me, the big one is being able to take the game to teams at home. Our away record is very good, we know that Ireland are a team that will be hard to break down and counter effectively. But at home we need to offer more, we haven't scored enough goals or created enough chances. Maybe a tactical or personnel change in games where we'll be on the front foot. We only scored 4 goals in 5 home games this, and 3 of those were against Georgia/Moldova which is quite frankly awful. The good thing is that if we do make it to the WC, it won't be a problem as most games we will be on the back foot/countering which suits us.

It was a great win, we were underdogs but our team is suited to games where our backs are against the wall rather than have the incentive to dictate the game.

I liked the look of the midfield. It was positive and balanced - Meyler can break up play, Arter can dictate play, and Hendrick will go box to box. I don't think we need Glen Whelan anymore. James McCarthy should have to work his way in, he's never really performed well enough for Ireland. I also think that injuries, other than Coleman, weren't missed and were maybe even a positive as they meant that we had to play certain players. Long has been dire and I don't think Walters should be playing anymore - Brady is naturally a winger and he's most threatening there. The 11 we played last night plus Coleman would have been our strongest/form team right now I think.

This win doesn't mean that our campaign has been a perfect success - we still need to right some wrongs. For me, the big one is being able to take the game to teams at home. Our away record is very good, we know that Ireland are a team that will be hard to break down and counter effectively. But at home we need to offer more, we haven't scored enough goals or created enough chances. Maybe a tactical or personnel change in games where we'll be on the front foot. We only scored 4 goals in 5 home games this, and 3 of those were against Georgia/Moldova which is quite frankly awful. The good thing is that if we do make it to the WC, it won't be a problem as most games we will be on the back foot/countering which suits us.
    Id agree with the second Paragraph in full, we have been awful at home but everyone knows that,
    Only thing I don't agree with is that Murphy should be in our starting 11, Walters or Long give more in my opinion ,
     Also ,Arter is a better footballer than McCarthy but MON doesn't;t like his players to pass so we may as well have McCarthy as he's bigger and stronger and covers more grass so suits MON style

Id agree with the second Paragraph in full, we have been awful at home but everyone knows that,
    Only thing I don't agree with is that Murphy should be in our starting 11, Walters or Long give more in my opinion ,
     Also ,Arter is a better footballer than McCarthy but MON doesn't;t like his players to pass so we may as well have McCarthy as he's bigger and stronger and covers more grass so suits MON style

I don't think Murphy should necessarily be our striker going forward either, but on form he was the man for last night. Walters and Long are in shocking form. Long may regain his spot but I don't think that Walters is starting quality, he's now 34.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Or 1994, Alan McLoughlin's goal is probably my earliest football memory. :)

Pretty sure we can't draw them though - even a draw puts the Swedes above them and if they lose I'd assume the Dutch are comfortably there already.

The draw is seeded so its one of the big teams, Croatia , Italy , Denmark , Portugal /Switzerland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,324 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

They aren't seeded I think so they wont be an option

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Home advantage is becoming less and less of thing in football these days. The stats back it up. People contribute it to ease/comfort of travel, grounds being of similar dimensions, less hostile crowds, pitches being immaculate everywhere now, away teams being less fearful/negative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

It's been strange as usually our home form is what keeps us in campaigns.

I wonder is this our deepest squad for some time. We don't have the individuals of the last 15 years but we seem better set with cover in most spots. On paper they're playing for weaker teams now but that's as much s reflection of the English games obsession with buying average foreigners now

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Home advantage is becoming less and less of thing in football these days. The stats back it up. People contribute it to ease/comfort of travel, grounds being of similar dimensions, less hostile crowds, pitches being immaculate everywhere now, away teams being less fearful/negative.

'Less of an advantage'... well apparently it's actually a negative for us! We scored less and gained less points at home compared to away from home. Our only two big wins/performances were away from home. Our results against Serbia, Wales and Austria were better away compared to at home in this campaign. We hardly created a chance against Wales or Serbia at home, and both sides had 10 men for a period. That's all pretty damning. As a team, our counter/direct style is better suited to being away.

'Less of an advantage'... well apparently it's actually a negative for us! We scored less and gained less points at home compared to away from home. Our only two big wins/performances were away from home. Our results against Serbia, Wales and Austria were better away compared to at home in this campaign. We hardly created a chance against Wales or Serbia at home, and both sides had 10 men for a period. That's all pretty damning. As a team, our counter/direct style is better suited to being away.

This is purely results based thinking. At home to Serbia we literally had double the amount of shots as we did last night. We had 52% possession against Serbia as opposed to 33% against Wales last night and way more completed passes. We just so happened to score with one of our two shots on target last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

What's mad is people who necessarily think playing better equates to getting better results. We lost our one game in this group when we played at our best with some nice open passing football.

You can criticize the style all you like, maybe you prefer watching good football and not teams who set out to be defensively sound, and that's fine. But you still must realise for teams like Iceland the North or ourselves to mix it with technically better sides you have to offer something different to counteract their superior ability.

It's a results driven business at the end of the day. If playing nice and getting average results was what put bums on seats I'm sure we'd play that way. But what fills the Aviva is being in contention for qualification, being in playoffs, getting to big tournaments. The difference in attendance at a friendly prior to a world cup we've qualified for compared to if we we're not qualified is gigantic.

Martin will never be all that popular, and it's pretty sad in a way. People don't fully appreciate what's he's done for us, that's for sure. There's still some resentment there from a large uneducated proportion of our fanbase. But thankfully he's not perturbed by that and continues to do a stellar job for us.

I think you've hit the nail on the head here. For me watching us last night I wish we could hold the ball a bit more even if to relieve pressure on the back 4 when we were a goal up. We did actually have some passages of play where we held the ball and played it right up the park through the press, it was few and far between though.

I think for us the pressure is to qualify and we must do everything we can by hook or by crook to do that because the management team for example are relatively expensive so they need to be getting us qualified to justify their salaries. However I think if we can actually get to Russia, then the shackles can come off and we can actually play a bit more football then.

In the Euros last summer we did that, the pressure was off and we played some decent football against Sweden, Italy and France, it wasn't 80% kick and rush like last night. If we get to Russia the pressure will be off and we will express ourselves and play a bit more ball like we did in France. Some fans need to get their heads around this and appreciate what MON is bringing to the table for us. Getting to two tournaments in a row would be remarkable if we can negotiate the play offs and so long as we express ourselves a bit and enjoy the tournament and punch our weight if we get there, anything in the lead up to getting there is worth it.

MON is delivering on his remit thus far, all knowledgeable supporters are well aware of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,387 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

This post is worse than any of the ridiculous bile Dunphy has spewed over the years, and at least he could blame RTE scripting and cocaine....

What exactly do you disagree with?

The result last night which was paramount has clouded some people to be able to judge the overall picture.

Another poster dismissed my comment that O Neill was a lucky manager, post was in response to that wasn't based on nothing.

Nice to think I should have been on drugs to type it, you usually need a heap of alcohol to make a game under his guidance a easier look.

The result last night which was paramount has clouded some people to be able to judge the overall picture.

Another poster dismissed my comment that O Neill was a lucky manager, post was in response to that wasn't based on nothing.

Nice to think I should have been on drugs to type it, you usually need a heap of alcohol to make a game under his guidance a easier look.

Haha in fairness a few beers have been needed at times :D

It's one of the great Irish results in recent times, I just see no reason for negativity at this moment.

It's a damn hard group. Georgia are a tough nut for a 5th seed, and the other 4 are very very equal. Look at Northern Ireland's group. Look at England's. I think coming second is a fantastic achievement, whatever way you wanna spin it.

International football is purely results based, and O Neill has succeeded in his mission already in my opinion regardless of the playoff result.

We've beaten Austria and Wales away from home. Before O Neill took over, that seemed so far away. There's a time and a place for moaning, last night was not one of them.

Bravo to MON and the lads, wonderful stuff.

This is purely results based thinking. At home to Serbia we literally had double the amount of shots as we did last night. We had 52% possession against Serbia as opposed to 33% against Wales last night and way more completed passes. We just so happened to score with one of our two shots on target last night.

Well, the results are overwhelmingly in favour of our away games so I think that it's a pretty considerable thought. We had lots of possession against Serbia because they took the lead, went a man down and then obviously sat back to hold what they had. Last night was the opposite - we went ahead and then obviously sat deeper. And possession isn't a great metric for performance, particularly with Ireland. Like I said we play at our best when we're backs against the wall, counter attacking the space. The problem is that we won't be in that situation is every match - i.e. at home when the incentive is on you to play a bit more. Possession is exactly what we need to work on: what we do when we have the majority of it, working in more narrow areas against set defences.

And we didn't just happen to score last night, that's unfair. We created more legitimate openings last night than we did against Serbia. We took a lot of shots from distance against Serbia but I don't remember us having one clear chance in that game, even against 10 men.

Haha in fairness a few beers have been needed at times :D

It's one of the great Irish results in recent times, I just see no reason for negativity at this moment.

It's a damn hard group. Georgia are a tough nut for a 5th seed, and the other 4 are very very equal. Look at Northern Ireland's group. Look at England's. I think coming second is a fantastic achievement, whatever way you wanna spin it.

International football is purely results based, and O Neill has succeeded in his mission already in my opinion regardless of the playoff result.

We've beaten Austria and Wales away from home. Before O Neill took over, that seemed so far away. There's a time and a place for moaning, last night was not one of them.

Bravo to MON and the lads, wonderful stuff.
    It depends now on who we get in the play off.

We were only two points behind Serbia as top side in the Group in the end. Most Groups would have a France or Germany way out in front and then 2 or 3 others scrapping for the play off spot. So it was the Serbia game in Dublin that decided it a game we were unlucky to lose in my view and we should've got a penalty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭the butcher

It wasn't pretty but we did it. Our back 4 and Randolph did the business to keep Wales away from better chances.

The Welsh are not happy whatsoever. So many online and Welsh media commenting about us being "cheats" and other nonsense. Such sour* grapes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Such sore grapes.

God, that doesn't sound pleasant :eek:

It wasn't pretty but we did it. Our back 4 and Randolph did the business to keep Wales away from better chances.

The Welsh are not happy whatsoever. So many online and Welsh media commenting about us being "cheats" and other nonsense. Such sour* grapes.
    I'm delighted for Wales. I don't like them at all. That tweet about Bale sitting in a box like he was royalty and Coleman in a tracksuit with the lads said it all.

The Welsh were so full of themselves, what were their fans singing in the early part of the game, "we're better than Ireland" or something? The game was 0-0 at the time you'd swear they were 3 up.

For all their possession they didn't create much, they didn't create more chances than we did and when we went 1 up they had nothing.

They can tag along with the Engerland hooligans in Russia and sing "we're England and Wales...etc."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭Officer999

What is the overall picture in your view?

For me it's qualifying for major tournaments.

Under O'Neill, we've qualified for the Euros and now we're in the playoff's for the World Cup.

I'm delighted with O'Neill but maybe last nights result has "clouded the overall picture" as you say?

Do you think we were lucky at home to Serbia when we weren't awarded a stonewall hometown penalty?

It's been a rocky road but MON is doing the business. Euros last 16 followed by a potential WC qualification.

It's mad to think that between 2004 and 2010 we couldn't make a tournament, now from 2012 to 2018 we might make 3. Back then we had Given, Dunne, O'Shea, Duff, Keane. It was pretty much Premier League quality from 1 to 11. I think we had a nice draw for the qualifiers, but MON is doing well with what he has.

• Advertisement

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Do you think we were lucky at home to Serbia when we weren't awarded a stonewall hometown penalty?
    If you want to isolate could've beens a penalty doesn't mean certain goal, Duffys goal was lucky to stand in the Georgia game wouldn't you say?

We were one Welsh goal away from joining them in the end after a string of disappointing performances.

I'm not stupid I'm delighted in what they achieved last night big time after enduring failures in the year. We're not there yet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Brady getting investigated by FIFA for alleged headbutt on Ashley Williams around 60th minute.Odd one cant recall any incident.

Officer999 wrote: »

What is the overall picture in your view?

For me it's qualifying for major tournaments.

Under O'Neill, we've qualified for the Euros and now we're in the playoff's for the World Cup.

I'm delighted with O'Neill but maybe last nights result has "clouded the overall picture" as you say?
    Its to qualify and then kick on and do well at tournaments  , we should be looking at what's happing up north with a worse set of players  than we have

yabadabado wrote: »
    Brady getting investigated by FIFA for alleged headbutt on Ashley Williams around 60th minute.Odd one cant recall any incident.

Weird, I seem to remember an incident when he pushed Brady over, Wales countered so the camera followed the ball but you could hear the crowd react to something.

Wonder if Wales reported him? Snakes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

F*ck it, just enjoy the emotion of the result for now. Talking over and over again about the same negative things and the players barely into the dressing room takes away from the enjoyment of these occasions.

Robbie Brady being investigated by FIFA. Hmm, as I said earlier McClean gets all this "red card waiting to happen stuff" but Brady gets more cards and suspensions for club and country for the stupidest of misdemeanours yet you never see him labelled the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭Officer999

Its to qualify and then kick on and do well at tournaments  , we should be looking at what's happing up north with a worse set of players  than we have

Look up North?

Last time I checked we both qualified for the Euros and got out of the group, and we have both just qualified for a World Cup playoff.

I don't see how they're doing any better than us.

• yabadabado wrote: »

Would be very annoying if he has put himself out of the play-offs :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,178 ✭✭✭✭josip

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Would be very annoying if he has put himself out of the play-offs :mad:

There doesn't appear to be any footage of the incident available, so unless an official saw it nothing will happen to him.
    If an official saw it, then the question would have to be why didn't they bring it to the referee's attention at the time?

Weird, I seem to remember an incident when he pushed Brady over, Wales countered so the camera followed the ball but you could hear the crowd react to something.

Wonder if Wales reported him? Snakes!
    It was highlighted on Sky. He kind of headbutted him in the back after Williams slapped him to the ground. It was fairly innocuous but technically he threw his head at him so if the Welsh reported him then he could be hit with a ban. I don't think the Welsh took their defeat too well last night, they're not very good sportsmen.

If you want to isolate could've beens a penalty doesn't mean certain goal, Duffys goal was lucky to stand in the Georgia game wouldn't you say?

We were one Welsh goal away from joining them in the end after a string of disappointing performances.

I'm not stupid I'm delighted in what they achieved last night big time after enduring failures in the year. We're not there yet!
    It was a tight Group and we got the play off spot. No we're not there at all yet, the hardest part is to come and we'll need the luck of the draw. You think MON has got us here by being lucky that's what started this conversation about lucky incidents or unlucky incidents. That's just you trying to denigrate his achievement, he didn't get us into the play off by luck, we had what could be termed unlucky moments in the series of games as well.

Just saw the incident ,nothing in it really .Be harsh if he gets a ban.

I thought the Welsh took the defeat ok last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,178 ✭✭✭✭josip

Do you have a link to where you saw it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,940 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

That poor kid at the end didn't

Looking forward to the games tonight and for the draw

Hard too believe were in the playoffs after almost ****ing it up

josip wrote: »
    Do you have a link to where you saw it?

Mate was showing it to me on his phone.Ill see can i upload it.I think it was just a twitter link.

Edit:
    As i said earlier nothing in it,Id say Williams thought it was a pat on the back. Stupid from Brady,cant be giving FIFA excuses to look for bans.

link

Mate was showing it to me on his phone.Ill see can i upload it.I think it was just a twitter link.

Edit:
    As i said earlier nothing in it,Id say Williams thought it was a pat on the back. Stupid from Brady,cant be giving FIFA excuses to look for bans.

link

Ah jaysus if he gets a ban for that we might as well pack up and forget about soccer :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Can’t see how he will avoid a ban unfortunately , it’s deliberate use of the head on an opponent so it’s a red card offence.

It’s a big big blow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Edit:

link
    It was a token of affection for the wrestle that Williams had just made .

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭loudnoises89

For Gods sake that's all we need. He'll defo be gone for both games, probably get 3 games.

Yeah that would be a massive blow added to the Meyler suspension.

It seems crazy harsh to carry over yellow card bans to the playoffs. It's harsh enough to get a ban for 2 yellows over a long qualification process but to extend it further is ridiculous. Should be a clean slate imo.

Actually worth finding out which of our potential opponents have players suspended or with a lot of yellows, could make all the difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Edit:

link

Still threw a head at an oppentant, he's lucky that he didn't make much contact or any contact even and give Williams the opportunity to do a Harry Arter and try to get Brady sent off.

MON really needs to have a chat with Brady about discipline. Nothing will probably come from this but if he does get a ban it will be his third time picking up suspensions this campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

Dots1982 wrote: »
    Can’t see how he will avoid a ban unfortunately , it’s deliberate use of the head on an opponent so it’s a red card offence.

It’s a big big blow.

A 'big big' blow is a bit much? I'm a big fan of Robbie but I can't remember anything he's offered of note in the last 4 games. To the point where if Walters is fit, there's a question to possibly be asked.

TheCitizen wrote: »
    It was a tight Group and we got the play off spot. No we're not there at all yet, the hardest part is to come and we'll need the luck of the draw. You think MON has got us here by being lucky that's what started this conversation about lucky incidents or unlucky incidents. That's just you trying to denigrate his achievement, he didn't get us into the play off by luck, we had what could be termed unlucky moments in the series of games as well.

You challenge my suggestion he's been lucky to have them scrape a playoff spot when it was in grasp to top group and actually follow up by saying we need luck in the draw :D ...I don't disagree there.

Yeah that would be a massive blow added to the Meyler suspension.

It seems crazy harsh to carry over yellow card bans to the playoffs. It's harsh enough to get a ban for 2 yellows over a long qualification process but to extend it further is ridiculous. Should be a clean slate imo.

Actually worth finding out which of our potential opponents have players suspended or with a lot of yellows, could make all the difference.

Always thought there should be a clearing of cards at half way point of qualifying and for play offs.
    Ireland like 7 other teams have to play 12 games to get to World Cup via Play offs,no harm to have them cleared especially when you see some of the yellows player's get,Murphys last night was a joke card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Edit:

link

Looks like he was having a laugh with Williams more than actually trying to have a real go at him. Whether the blazers at FIFA see it like that is another matter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

stupid by Brady. What a random way to react. pointless and childish. The 2 yellows against Austria in the campaign were also just as bad.

Fair play to Williams for not even acknowledging it if he knew exactly what had happened.

https://twitter.com/SeanOR95/status/917742405343961088

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement