Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

PhilipsR wrote: »
    Dots1982 wrote: »
    Can’t see how he will avoid a ban unfortunately , it’s deliberate use of the head on an opponent so it’s a red card offence.

It’s a big big blow.

A 'big big' blow is a bit much? I'm a big fan of Robbie but I can't remember anything he's offered of note in the last 4 games. To the point where if Walters is fit, there's a question to possibly be asked.

He’s by far the best crosser on a team that scores a lot of it’s goals from crosses.

I guess it will be between O’Dowda and mcgeady to come in if he’s suspended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

He’s by far the best crosser on a team that scores a lot of it’s goals from crosses.

If Brady is suspended then go with Walters and McClean on the flanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

O ‘ Dowda was good against Moldova particularly in the first half .

The level of opposition will be a bit higher though in the playoff .

yabadabado wrote: »

If Brady is suspended then go with Walters and McClean on the flanks.

Yeah sorry forgot about Walters, not sure he is the best option but he is the likeliest to come in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,425 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Mate was showing it to me on his phone.Ill see can i upload it.I think it was just a twitter link.

Edit:
    As i said earlier nothing in it,Id say Williams thought it was a pat on the back. Stupid from Brady,cant be giving FIFA excuses to look for bans.

link

what an idiot

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Looks like he was having a laugh with Williams more than actually trying to have a real go at him. Whether the blazers at FIFA see it like that is another matter.

not sure where you got that from!!
    Having a laugh in front of the linesman with an incident that could have got him sent off!
    He obviously wasn't trying to injure him, I don't have a clue what he thought he may achieve by it! Maybe he was hoping Williams would react back. Who knows. Either way it was stupidity. Thank f*ck it wasn't noticed.

Anyway, we would rightly moan yourself if it was the other way round so can't blame Welsh if they are p*ssed off with it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

It's a definite ban, intentional violent conduct.

Kaka was sent off in MLS this season for patting his friend on the face while laughing and ban was upheld

Don't be expecting any sort of leniency or common sense even if it contact was on the timid side.

Time to prepare without him.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Walters isn't expected to be fit I believe

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

GLaDOS wrote: »

MON said today that he believes he has "no chance" of playing, even saying he was more optimistic about Coleman returning!

GLaDOS wrote: »

MON said today that he believes he has "no chance" of playing, even saying he was more optimistic about Coleman returning!

Is it a minor injury with Long? Was he asked?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

Billy86 wrote: »
    Or 1994, Alan McLoughlin's goal is probably my earliest football memory. :)

Pretty sure we can't draw them though - even a draw puts the Swedes above them and if they lose I'd assume the Dutch are comfortably there already.

Was just thinking about that goal yesterday myself. Unfortunately your right I would imagine in the rigging of the playoff draw there is no chance of a repeat of 1994 sadly.
    Have said it before it really is a disgrace that the draw is being rigged again to favour the bigger teams. Facts are every country is seeded and drawn accordingly into the groups and earns the right to finish in second place on merit having already be seeded. To reseed again is blatantly rigging in fvaour of countries like Italy when they find themselves in the playoffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

Mate was showing it to me on his phone.Ill see can i upload it.I think it was just a twitter link.

Edit:
    As i said earlier nothing in it,Id say Williams thought it was a pat on the back. Stupid from Brady,cant be giving FIFA excuses to look for bans.

link

Was watching the after match analysis on Sky Sports and they highlighted it alright. Bellamy was saying it would be a joke if he got a suspension. To be honest it's hard to imagine how braindead professional footballers can be at times. I mean, what was Brady going to acheive with a half-arsed headbutt aimed towards Williams' back? If Meyler had been send off for his lunge on Hennessy in the last minute (in the Premier League it's a red 7 times out of 10 in my opinion) then I could understand that and understand why he dived in, and accept whatever ban he may have got. But to risk a suspension for a petulant, childish thing like that is just plain stupid. I would compare it to Beckham's flick on Simeone actually. That was equally stupid.

Great win all the same......COYBIG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I didn't see the Brady incident at the time. Disappointing to learn about this. We seem to invite unnecessary problems like this every so often. Brady would be a big loss to us for his set-piece ability.

Back to the game, I was listening on BBC to the post-game reaction from Welsh fans and was surprised at the amount of complaints that were made about the ref. A few callers were saying he was a disgrace and gave everything Ireland's way but I recall several of our players were booked. I didn't think anything more was warranted. The game wasn't as ugly as the one in Dublin was. Honestly I think they overrated their team and took us lightly. I really don't see much between us when you take Bale out of the equation.

One other thing that was mentioned, which I do agree with, was how great that rendition of their anthem was. I can't recall hearing them belt that out so well before. Make no mistake if Wales had won that game, the singing of the anthem would have gone down in folklore as being a big part of the result - "the twelfth man" and all that. Makes me appreciate even more the amount of bottle we have in this team that we withstood all that and still went out there and executed the gameplan perfectly. Terrific mental strength in this team. All those difficult trips to the likes of Germany, playing France in the Euros in their own backyard, Scotland away, Bosnia away, Serbia away, they've helped us prepare for difficult places and we're not intimidated by hostile atmospheres. It probably explains why we have had so many good away results in recent years, having gone a long time without getting any.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Would gladly see Long in for Brady. Deeper role might suit his lack of goalscoring :D He's had some lovely assists for Southampton lately.

Just had a gawk on the Welsh fan forum to see their thoughts/reactions! Jesus, they are bitter losers, just like in the rugby!

I mean, look at this thread, the most ridiculous thing I have EVER read!!

"Got to Cardiff about 6.45 as the trains from Newport were late due to a broken down train.

On Wood Street by the tesco, vue cinema etc a mob of Irish fans walking down the road singing "We're gonna beat the Welsh", not four or five more like twenty-five.

Not even were the English like that in Lens.

Hope they get smashed 5-0 in Italy first leg, and then their second leg paying a stupidly high price will mean sweet FA.

No respect for them from me, sorry, that is poor. Bet they didn't do that in Belgrade or they would have all been dead."

And then when this was pointed out to the same poster by a fellow Welsh fan ...........

"Well a group of Welsh fans starting singing '**** the IRA' inside the ground. Let's face it every team has its idiots."

here is how he responded.............

"I don't see what is wrong with that myself though! It's in the ground and it's banter. Plus the IRA are/were awful anyway."

http://apostlewelshfootie.proboards.com/thread/8175/irish-fans-cardiff

That poor devil must have an awful time at any sporting event if they are upset by that. reading the link there he just seems like hes just looking to be offended and most are calling him out on it.

Same person sees nothing wrong with songs about the IRA,think it might be a half hearted attempt to wum but it fell flat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,236 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Discipline is definitely an issue.

Clark near scored another own goal and defended badly a couple more times when he had time to be composed.

The Brady thing is no different to Moldova man getting sent off on Friday. Arter mad an absolute meal of it, there was very little there. It's a straight red, even though it was a half-arsed attempt.

Also:
    Meyler's challenge at the end was also a straight red.
    McClean's second bad challenge in as many minutes should have been a second yellow.
    We got off lightly yesterday disciplinary wise, even MON was having a go at McClean in the RTÉ interview.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

The Welsh have some cheek complaining about rough play after their carry on in Dublin. Can Coleman even walk unaided yet?

sdanseo wrote: »
    Discipline is definitely an issue.

Clark near scored another own goal and defended badly a couple more times when he had time to be composed.

The Brady thing is no different to Moldova man getting sent off on Friday. Arter mad an absolute meal of it, there was very little there. It's a straight red, even though it was a half-arsed attempt.

Also:
    Meyler's challenge at the end was also a straight red.
    McClean's second bad challenge in as many minutes should have been a second yellow.
    We got off lightly yesterday disciplinary wise, even MON was having a go at McClean in the RTÉ interview.

Is that 3 red cards you've given us from the match last night lol?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I've heard every excuse in the book being made for the result last night, with perhaps the most ridiculous one being that the ball was out before Hendrick crossed it in for McClean.

I will say I gained more respect for the BBC's Jason Mohammad. I've seen him on TV and haven't really warmed to him on those occasions but I heard him on the radio point out that they can't keep making excuses for the loss. He also said the same thing on Twitter as well.

• Advertisement

To be fair we can't talk about being sore losers. The Henry handball fallout was a full on national embarrassment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,236 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Is that 3 red cards you've given us from the match last night lol?

By the same token the score could have been 4-4 I'm just saying we got off lightly to get no reds especially in the last 5 mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Just had a gawk on the Welsh fan forum to see their thoughts/reactions! Jesus, they are bitter losers, just like in the rugby!

I mean, look at this thread, the most ridiculous thing I have EVER read!!

"Got to Cardiff about 6.45 as the trains from Newport were late due to a broken down train.

On Wood Street by the tesco, vue cinema etc a mob of Irish fans walking down the road singing "We're gonna beat the Welsh", not four or five more like twenty-five.

Not even were the English like that in Lens.
    http://apostlewelshfootie.proboards.com/thread/8175/irish-fans-cardiff

Depending on where that was I can see that being annoying to be honest. Not everyone has to love the Irish fans.

Bit on the IRA is moronic and makes him seem very bitter

To be fair we can't talk about being sore losers. The Henry handball fallout was a full on national embarrassment.

The Henry incident then turn farcical but at least there was a bit of injustice there .Wales fans complaining about rough play,ball was out of play,we dont play good football etc is just silly excuses.
    Rightly or wrongly they were top seeds and ended up in 3rd.

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Depending on where that was I can see that being annoying to be honest. Not everyone has to love the Irish fans.

Bit on the IA is moronic and makes him seem very bitter

I have heard lads chant that against plenty of teams It was going around Lyon before the French game in 2016,its harmless .You would need to be an extremely sensitive soul to be offended by it. Its a ****e chant anyways .

naughtb4 wrote: »

Bit on the IRA is moronic and makes him seem very bitter

Annoying is not how he is painting it. He is almost equating it to hoolagism!

The Henry incident then turn farcical but at least there was a bit of injustice there .Wales fans complaining about rough play,ball was out of play,we dont play good football etc is just silly excuses.
    Rightly or wrongly they were top seeds and ended up in 3rd.

Ah I'm sure there's plenty of them that took it well too. There's just so many avenues to seek out idiots these days that you'll find an outraged reaction if you look for one.

A quick look in the Wales Superthread would show not many here were good winners either, probably not the right place to gloat.

Ah I'm sure there's plenty of them that took it well too. There's just so many avenues to seek out idiots these days that you'll find an outraged reaction if you look for one.

A quick look in the Wales Superthread would show not many here were good winners either, probably not the right place to gloat.

Id say the vast majority were sound and cant say i bumped into any who were assholes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,121 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Brady will be a loss especially with Meyler out but he was probably one of our poorer players last night. Hopefully long will have recovered and Wes is still there. Roll on the draw.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Billy86 wrote: »
    Or 1994, Alan McLoughlin's goal is probably my earliest football memory. :)

Pretty sure we can't draw them though - even a draw puts the Swedes above them and if they lose I'd assume the Dutch are comfortably there already.

Netherlands are hardly gonna beat them 7-0 to overturn the goal difference!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Went a bit unnoticed there yesterday, but starting off a great day was our U-21s hammering Israel 4-0 to go top of their group.
    This evening Norway have beaten Germany 3-1 in that group which is a great result for us. For once the u-21s look good, here's the group as it stands.

1. Rep Ireland U21 4 3 1 0 8:1 10
    2. Germany U21 3 2 0 1 8:4 6
    3. Kosovo U21 4 2 0 2 6:4 6
    4. Norway U21 5 1 2 2 5:7 5
    5. Israel U21 3 1 1 1 3:5 4
    6. Azerbaijan U21 3 0 0 3 3:12 0

Ugh group looked perfect in preview, a bit of a mess here once posted!
    Anyway we are doing well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Will us finishing second in the group improve our seeding for the euro 2020 qualifiers?

LowOdour wrote: »
    Will us finishing second in the group improve our seeding for the euro 2020 qualifiers?

We are expected to jump about 8 places in the rankings announced in the next few days Id guess we would need to get to the finals from the playoffs for it to have a major impact.The draw is on December 2nd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

U19s beat Serbia to go top of their group too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Is this the 1st time we have ever won 3 away matches in the same qualifying tournament

• Advertisement

Stevecw wrote: »
    Went a bit unnoticed there yesterday, but starting off a great day was our U-21s hammering Israel 4-0 to go top of their group.
    This evening Norway have beaten Germany 3-1 in that group which is a great result for us. For once the u-21s look good, here's the group as it stands.

1. Rep Ireland U21 4 3 1 0 8:1 10
    2. Germany U21 3 2 0 1 8:4 6
    3. Kosovo U21 4 2 0 2 6:4 6
    4. Norway U21 5 1 2 2 5:7 5
    5. Israel U21 3 1 1 1 3:5 4
    6. Azerbaijan U21 3 0 0 3 3:12 0

Ugh group looked perfect in preview, a bit of a mess here once posted!
    Anyway we are doing well!

Yeah impressive stuff so far and hopefully that continues,some good players in that squad .
    U19s had a good win today V Serbia .Top of the group now with 2 wins and a draw.

LowOdour wrote: »

Beating high ranked sides such as Wales will definitely help. Be hard to see us not getting upto at least pot 3 anyway, 2 also possible if we continue to climb

Is this the 1st time we have ever won 3 away matches in the same qualifying tournament

Won 3 aways to qualify for 1994 WC but there was 6 away games in that group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Yeah impressive stuff so far and hopefully that continues,some good players in that squad .
    U19s had a good win today V Serbia .Top of the group now with 2 wins and a draw.

Highly rated Lee O'Connor scored one and got the assist for the winner, can play in defence and midfield. They also beat Cyprus 5-0 this weekend with Brigthons Jayson Molumby grabbing a hat trick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Highly rated Lee O'Connor scored one and got the assist for the winner, can play in defence and midfield. They also beat Cyprus 5-0 this weekend with Brigthons Jayson Molumby grabbing a hat trick.

Hopefully the two of them will fill the Waterford quota once Murphy and O'Shea have retired :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

TheCitizen wrote: »
    I think you've hit the nail on the head here. For me watching us last night I wish we could hold the ball a bit more even if to relieve pressure on the back 4 when we were a goal up. We did actually have some passages of play where we held the ball and played it right up the park through the press, it was few and far between though.

I think for us the pressure is to qualify and we must do everything we can by hook or by crook to do that because the management team for example are relatively expensive so they need to be getting us qualified to justify their salaries. However I think if we can actually get to Russia, then the shackles can come off and we can actually play a bit more football then.

In the Euros last summer we did that, the pressure was off and we played some decent football against Sweden, Italy and France, it wasn't 80% kick and rush like last night. If we get to Russia the pressure will be off and we will express ourselves and play a bit more ball like we did in France. Some fans need to get their heads around this and appreciate what MON is bringing to the table for us. Getting to two tournaments in a row would be remarkable if we can negotiate the play offs and so long as we express ourselves a bit and enjoy the tournament and punch our weight if we get there, anything in the lead up to getting there is worth it.

MON is delivering on his remit thus far, all knowledgeable supporters are well aware of that.

Hahaha, so anyone that agrees with you is "knowledgable" and the rest are uneducated. Laughable. O'Neill plays puke football. You can look back with green-tinted hindsight all you like, but his setup screwed us out of points away to Serbia and Georgia and almost dropped all the points against Austria at home. We should be celebrating qualifying for a WC now rather than a playoff. He's been extremely lucky this campaign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,121 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Portugal 2 up now, looks like it will be the swiss who will be in the play offs. No reason to fear them.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Bridge93 wrote: »
    U19s beat Serbia to go top of their group too

Very impressive, we seem to be doing really well again at those levels. Nice to see a few of the unusual names on the younger Irish teams. Great to see it and will be a huge benefit to us going forward.
    France, Germany and even England have done well from kids of African parents playing for them for many years.
    Most of these boys grew up here and have/are playing for clubs here, before going to England.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Hahaha, so anyone that agrees with you is "knowledgable" and the rest are uneducated. Laughable. O'Neill plays puke football. You can look back with green-tinted hindsight all you like, but his setup screwed us out of points away to Serbia and Georgia and almost dropped all the points against Austria at home. We should be celebrating qualifying for a WC now rather than a playoff. He's been extremely lucky this campaign.
    dear oh dear, such anger and bitterness:o

Ok so now for sure its either: Croatia, Italy, Switzerland, Denmark
    I'd give us a good chance against the last 2, Italy are Italy and they will always get there somehow. Croatia would be just too good.

I'd give us a good chance against the last 2, Italy are Italy and they will always get there somehow. Croatia would be just too good.

Yeah I agree, Croatia have been very poor this year but I'd still think likes of Modric, Perisic, Rakitic and Mandzukic could lift their games to get them through the playoffs, too much class there for my liking.

Croatia changed manager last week so should improve as Cacic seemed to have lost the plot over the few months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

When do we find out who we play?

Tuesday I just found out

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

I'd fancy our chances against Switzerland or Denmark, hopefully we get one of those

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭briany

TheCitizen wrote: »
    I'd fancy our chances against Switzerland or Denmark, hopefully we get one of those

Switzerland have the best record of any second-placed team. Besides the potential satisfaction of causing their exit from a tournament, as they've done a couple of times to Ireland, I see no reason why we'd want them. Croatia's statistics look a good bit less imposing.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement