Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Have to say having watched the game again I have to give great credit to players, but especially the manager.

Yep I am Praising O Neill:P

Thought his tactics were pretty much spot on and the subs came on at right time. I have lambasted O Neill, so credit where it is due. A Playoff spot is decent return and gives us some sort of platform going into Playoffs. I'm just trying enjoy the few days after beating Wales and worry about draw next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Subasic
    Modric
    Rakitic
    Perisic
    Mandzukic
    Kovacic
    Corluka
    Lovren
    Brozovic

Just the names I'm aware of. I'll pass on Croatia thanks. Italy too.

I will agree with you there. Plus I think given their ability with keeping the ball and creativity in attack they are a tough match up for us. We will be underdogs no question no matter who we get but I really would give us very little chance over 2 legs against either Italy or Croatia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Go old school,play it in Dalymount Park :D

Was this the last Ireland game to be played there?

Jayus it lashed down that night, soaked by the time I got home

Think it was Andy Townsend debut, 0-0 boring match.

Very good starting line that was.

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Jayus it lashed down that night, soaked by the time I got home

Think it was Andy Townsend debut, 0-0 boring match.

Very good starting line that was.

It was also Laurent Blanc's debut...

Would take that Irish team any day..except for Morris. He was weak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Patww79 wrote: »
    Tickets already sold so it will have to be in Aviva

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

I am not that much of a rugby fan but the November internationals are not considered "friendly games" and to suggest to move them to the RDS is ridiculous! Especially when the tickets are already almost sold out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

I am not that much of a rugby fan but the November internationals are not considered "friendly games" and to suggest to move them to the RDS is ridiculous! Especially when the tickets are already almost sold out!

Let's not start this no friendlies in rugby ****e again.....:-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Isn't it a case that if you play on the 9th (Thursday), you play on the 12th (Sunday) then? Or is that just a group stage thing?

• Advertisement

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Let's not start this no friendlies in rugby ****e again.....:-)

First time I have ever commented on it in my whole life! I'm just saying that the rugby world would consider them anything but friendlies!

I am not interested in the debate, just stating it's stupid to even consider they will be moved to RDS at this stage!

They should have envisaged this scenario on the horizon when the IRFU and Aviva stadium chiefs were sitting down 6 months ago and considering dates and possible clashes and consulted the FAI who would surely have been considering the playoff scenario.

That was the time to suggest moving, say, the Fiji match even to Thomond Park as the series opener and having the South Africa game the following week instead!

Anyway, didn't Ireland rugby team play a November international the following day after the first leg against France in 2009!

It will solve itself out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

First time I have ever commented on it in my whole life! I'm just saying that the rugby world would consider them anything but friendlies!

I am not interested in the debate, just stating it's stupid to even consider they will be moved to RDS at this stage!

They should have envisaged this scenario on the horizon when the IRFU and Aviva stadium chiefs were sitting down 6 months ago and considering dates and possible clashes and consulted the FAI who would surely have been considering the playoff scenario.

That was the time to suggest moving, say, the Fiji match even to Thomond Park as the series opener and having the South Africa game the following week instead!

Anyway, didn't Ireland rugby team play a November international the following day after the first leg against France in 2009!

It will solve itself out!

Ah I'm only joking

I find the no friendlies in rugby hilarious, like saying there are no autumn international series in football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Jaysus lads the match isnt gonna be moved to Croker(presume that was a joke) and the rugby isnt gonna be moved or date changed.
    Football and Rugby both have games/dates set well in advance and isnt going to be a issue.Both bodies wpuld have known about this when fixtures were getting arranged.As much of a joke the FAI are there isnt a **** up here.

When the draw is made and who is home/away first it is then up to FAs/UEFA/TV to trash out dates and times.Not a problem at all and happens all the time.

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Ah I'm only joking

I find the no friendlies in rugby hilarious, like saying there are no autumn international series in football

It really irritates me when people play down the value of our annual Oman Super Tuesday clash. It's like they don't understand the importance of our desperation to f*ck ourselves around on the coefficients table by playing such a match and leave us as bloody 4th seeds.

Only in Ireland.................

000ca5e2-614.jpg

Brilliant angle to watch the goal from!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=12&v=KueXCT9VA-Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=12&v=KueXCT9VA-Y

People give out about the Darron RanHOOF tactics but, jaysus, looking at the alternative here, maybe Randolph has it spot on!! What a c*ck up by Hennessy and tbh, Williams' decision making there was worse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Good angle of Roy Keane losing his inhibitions for a few moments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Having a look at the qualifying campaigns over the last few years (last 5 campaigns), we have a very decent record of reaching the playoffs. Compared it to other nations of roughly similar size or ability, just for comparison - Greece, Sweden, Switzerland, Croatia, Bosnia and Ireland have reached the playoffs or better in 4 of the last 5 campaigns. The only country who have done better (bar the elite) are Denmark, who have always succeeded in at least getting to the playoffs.

Not in bad company there, we are definitely performing above par for the players we have and a country of our size.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭briany

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Play the home qualifier in Croker

Move the home game to some ratty 3,000 seater with a few potholes on the pitch, a closet to change in, and the possibility of some sideways rain. Make it a grim affair like something out of the 80s, and in no way conducive to fluid technical play.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

You literally suggested to move the Fiji game to Thomond and switch the games around 10 posts ago. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

briany wrote: »
    Move the home game to some ratty 3,000 seater with a few potholes on the pitch, a closet to change in, and the possibility of some sideways rain. Make it a grim affair like something out of the 80s, and in no way conducive to fluid technical play.

Should bring them to the asshole of nowhere and play it in Ballybofey. Hope whoever it is gets lost on the way and we get the walk over.

Autumn International the wanky way to say November friendly :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

They stopped doing pay at the gate after 90,000 turned up to watch the NZ match last year.

PhilipsR wrote: »
    You literally suggested to move the Fiji game to Thomond and switch the games around 10 posts ago. :pac:

Nope...................I said a completely different thing........if you read my post properly! Good lad! The November Internationals are a specific 3 weekend schedule of games so that is what I meant by there was nothing they could have done when sitting down all those months ago and sorting the fixtures out UNLESS they considered BACK THEN moving one of the games (Fiji, perhaps) to Thomond. I never said that such a thing should be considered at this juncture.

This was my follow up post after the suggestion to move it to RDS at this juncture.

"I am not interested in the debate, just stating it's stupid to even consider they will be moved to RDS at this stage!

"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭briany

You can often have a team that have a great qualifying campaign, Austria had a great qualifying campaign for the last Euros but didn't do much when they got there. I'd rate Croatia as a more difficult opponent with Modric pulling the strings for them.

I'm more worried about teams that have the mentality to get it over the line in terms of qualifying for finals, and it seems like Switzerland have this a bit more than Croatia. Having said that, neither team is fanciable. Both would be heavily favoured by bookmakers in a tie with Ireland, or perhaps any unseeded team.
    Rekop dog wrote: »
    The Swiss group was very soft. I also think the fact they lost the lead on the final match day will play negatively on their minds. Not that impressive a side. Midfield comprises of a Shaqiri of Stoke, Dzemaili of Montreal Fc and Xhaka who while decent hasn't set the world alight at Arsenal and is a bit of a hot head. They'd be my pick for sure.

Seems a bit cherry-picky. They also have a selection of players who play around Europe at a high level in teams like Juventus, Schalke, Benfica, Milan, Deportivo, Atalanta and Galatasary. So while there may be a weak spot or two in the team, my worry is more the quality surrounding that to make it only a minor concern for the Swiss.

Also, although they did lose to Portugal in the final game, they did manage to win the home tie. It's not exactly a case that they folded whenever tested by the only other quality team in the group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,178 ✭✭✭✭josip

Go the whole hog and let them play on Pitch 19 in St. Annes.

• Advertisement

Nope...................I said a completely different thing........if you read my post properly! Good lad! The November Internationals are a specific 3 weekend schedule of games so that is what I meant by there was nothing they could have done when sitting down all those months ago and sorting the fixtures out UNLESS they considered BACK THEN moving one of the games (Fiji, perhaps) to Thomond. I never said that such a thing should be considered at this juncture.

This was my follow up post after the suggestion to move it to RDS at this juncture.

"I am not interested in the debate, just stating it's stupid to even consider they will be moved to RDS at this stage!

"

Your posts are outrageously condescending at times. I'm not reading past the second line. Good lad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Seems a bit cherry-picky. They also have a selection of players who play around Europe at a high level in teams like Juventus, Schalke, Benfica, Milan, Deportivo, Atalanta and Galatasary. So while there may be a weak spot or two in the team, my worry is more the quality surrounding that to make it only a minor concern for the Swiss.

Also, although they did lose to Portugal in the final game, they did manage to win the home tie. It's not exactly a case that they folded whenever tested by the only other quality team in the group.

Lichtsteiner isn't the force he was at Juve, nearly 34, still good defensively but doesn't make the marauding runs he used to. I support Milan and Rodriguez has had a poor start to his career there, not in good form right now. Djourou has always seemed to have a brain fart in him at centre back as well.

I mean all our potential opponents have multiple players at better sides than us. I just feel the Swiss might be the least daunting followed by the Danes. Can see us having maybe 35% chance vs them two. Would be closer to 20% against Italy or Croatia.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Rekop dog wrote: »
    What's mad is people who necessarily think playing better equates to getting better results. We lost our one game in this group when we played at our best with some nice open passing football.

Cherry-picking, spoofing nonsense.

Yesterday was the 5th anniversary of Ireland 1 Germany 6.

O'Dea and Cox starting, Long on the bench, Hoolahan and Clark not in the squad...whether you like O'Neill or not, we're a long way away from those depressing days.

• Advertisement

A bit harsh,McClean may not be starting many game's but is involved in all the match day squads and usually gets time on the pitch so far this season.
    Last season he was involved in all but 4 league games,WBA were top 10 last season so its a lot better than plenty of our squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

The rugger is only a friendly so could they not be shoved to the RDS?

Also the FAI season tickets have the seat number and everything written on, and this covers the play-off game. 
    I think the playoff has to be at the Aviva.

Lads, as much abuse as the FAI gets, they've known the potential play off dates for a long time and incorporated it into this year's season ticket. A plan is in place around the rugby game.

I hope we get the second leg at home. I think it'd mean a double header on the Saturday of the rugby with the away leg kicking off at 7:45pm. Home leg would then be on the Tuesday. All will be revealed next Tuesday anyways. The Aviva will be bouncing regardless.

The season ticket has included potential play off game's since it started iirc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

yabadabado wrote: »
    The season ticket has included potential play off game's since it started iirc

there would be November friendlies if there were no playoff, so the FAI always spin it as it includes more competitive games.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

I'm more worried about teams that have the mentality to get it over the line in terms of qualifying for finals, and it seems like Switzerland have this a bit more than Croatia. Having said that, neither team is fanciable. Both would be heavily favoured by bookmakers in a tie with Ireland, or perhaps any unseeded team.

You're describing this Ireland team under Martin O'Neill there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Personally think we should look to draw teams strong in the middle and weak on the wings so probably Denmark. We are good at negating teams with strong midfields. When teams are strong on the wings I think we are more vulnerable. Belgium been an extreme case with Hazard and De bruyne who are the only team under MoN to completely dismantle us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet or not (haven't read the last few pages) but Brady will not be retro-punished by FIFA for his weird/loving head nudge on Williams, so he's available for the play-off.

I'M saying it's harsh on Pulis who does pick McClean on a regular basis.

• Advertisement

I thought I'd put this comment over here as I think there might be something to it. I could be wrong though.

The article actually makes a good point about a certain kind of idiotic partitionist mindset that does exist (and you'd see around here at times) manifested by the girl in the clip that the article (Joe.ie) refers to who asked Martin McGuiness some very stupid questions when he ran for the Presidency.

I actually like Dunphy as a pundit, or I used to, he's become a bit stale and out of touch in recent years. But that was a stupid infantile "joke" if that's what you want to call it. It's no big deal and I don't think anyone will bother to get offended, it's just a a bit embarrassing from Dunphy and he should wary of that partitionist mindset that exists with the hard of thinking here in the Irish Republic. Now that's something to take the piss out of.

BTW, that bit in bold I think explains some of the antipathy towards MON that you'd see around here at times, it would be dressed up as "I don't like his style" stuff but with some and I emphasise some it may have an idiotic partitionist type mindset behind it.

This idiotic mindset would also extend to James McClean. There was a poster on this match thread while the game was actually on that was talking shíte about McClean and he remarkably continued it even after he scored.

I thought I'd put this comment over here as I think there might be something to it. I could be wrong though.

The article actually makes a good point about a certain kind of idiotic partitionist mindset that does exist (and you'd see around here at times) manifested by the girl in the clip that the article (Joe.ie) refers to who asked Martin McGuiness some very stupid questions when he ran for the Presidency.

I actually like Dunphy as a pundit, or I used to, he's become a bit stale and out of touch in recent years. But that was a stupid infantile "joke" if that's what you want to call it. It's no big deal and I don't think anyone will bother to get offended, it's just a a bit embarrassing from Dunphy and he should wary of that partitionist mindset that exists with the hard of thinking here in the Irish Republic. Now that's something to take the piss out of.

BTW, that bit in bold I think explains some of the antipathy towards MON that you'd see around here at times, it would be dressed up as "I don't like his style" stuff but with some and I emphasise some it may have an idiotic partitionist type mindset behind it.

This idiotic mindset would also extend to James McClean. There was a poster on this match thread while the game was actually on that was talking sh about McClean and he remarkably continued it even after he scored.

You should accuse posters directly if you think you know why they are criticising / talking sh|te about players/managers. This carry on of saying the posters might be doing it because they don't like people from the north is silly bollix. Address the posters directly or just shut the fúck up about it, that would be the sensible approach to take.

Pro. F wrote: »
    You should accuse posters directly if you think you know why they are criticising / talking sh|te about players/managers. This carry on of saying the posters might be doing it because they don't like people from the north is silly bollix. Address the posters directly or just shut the fúck up about it, that would be the sensible approach to take.
    I'm saying directly that a partitionist mindset exists the girl in the clip on Joe.ie is a prime example. I'm saying that that sort of attitude may be behind some of the attitude you see against players or the manager who comes from The North who are involved with the Republic of Ireland soccer team. I'm opening the point for discussion, if you have a problem with that you're free not to comment or to give your views. There's no need to be rude. I wouldn't be so presumptuous as to tell you how to approach raising a subject matter.

I'm saying directly that a partitionist mindset exists the girl in the clip on Joe.ie is a prime example. I'm saying that that sort of attitude may be behind some of the attitude you see against players or the manager who comes from The North who are involved with the Republic of Ireland soccer team. I'm opening the point for discussion, if you have a problem with that you're free not to comment or to give your views. There's no need to be rude. I wouldn't be so presumptuous as to tell you how to approach raising a subject matter.

Okay, cool. I'm sure there is a really great discussion that can be had about this poster who nobody knows the name of except for you, who you think might have a dislike of people from the north, but you don't really know.

Pro. F wrote: »
    Okay, cool. I'm sure there is a really great discussion that can be had about this poster who nobody knows the name of except for you, who you think might have a dislike of people from the north, but you don't really know.
    Have alook at the match thread there. There's a poster "irishman86" he calls himself that was having a go at McClean with a lot of comments you'd see about him on here from time to time. Here's one of his comments number 280 on the thread that received two likes from others; Appreciate all you want. "Hes a very poor player who Irish fans enjoy for very stupid reasons"

This was while the match was going on about a player that Liam Brady correctly called our man of the campaign so far.

Then McClean scores the goal and this poster inexplicably continues with his comments.

Maybe you can tell me what exactly is going through that posters head when he's making those comments about one of our star performers, because I can't figure it out?

Now I can't say for definite it's because he has a partitionist mindset but that certainly exists. Are you saying it doesn't?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Maybe you can tell me what exactly is going through that posters head when he's making those comments about one of our star performers, because I can't figure it out?

Now I can't say for definite it's because he has a partitionist mindset but that certainly exists. Are you saying it doesn't?

Well then maybe you shouldn't speculate as to his reasons, maybe ask him directly? Saying that he might hate people from the north is pretty low.

Well then maybe you shouldn't speculate as to his reasons, maybe ask him directly? Saying that he might hate people from the north is pretty low.
    I didn't say he "might hate people from The North", I'm saying I find his comments on McClean in that match thread inexplicable and some of his comments were 'liked' by others. He's free to come on and explain himself if he wants to.

I'm also saying that a partitionist mindset exists in Ireland and that that may lead to some of the attitude you'd find against players and others involved in the Republic of Ireland set up from The North. Are you saying that it doesn't?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I didn't say he "might hate people from The North", I'm saying I find his comments on McClean in that match thread inexplicable and some of his comments were 'liked' by others. He's free to come on and explain himself if he wants to.

I'm also saying that a partitionist mindset exists in Ireland and that that may lead to some of the attitude you'd find against players and others involved in the Republic of Ireland set up from The North. Are you saying that it doesn't?

The very fact you bring the two things up in the same post is very insidious.

As an aside, in real life if anyone used the term "partitionist" I'd run a mile from them.

The very fact you bring the two things up in the same post is very insidious.

There's nothing insidious about it. I am using his comments as an example of what a partitionist mindset might lead to. As regards his comments I'm merely saying in the context of that match thread that they were inexplicable. Did you read his comments what did you think of them and the fact that some others 'liked' them?
    As an aside, in real life if anyone used the term "partitionist" I'd run a mile from them.

Would ya now. Run a mile and stick your head in the sand perhaps?

Martin McGuiness I think it was who referred to the term 'partitionist mindset' in that clip from Joe.ie, when the girl was questioning his right "to come down here and run for the Presidency" and "who did he think he was" or words to that effect. What would you call that mindset?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Have alook at the match thread there. There's a poster "irishman86" he calls himself that was having a go at McClean with a lot of comments you'd see about him on here from time to time. Here's one of his comments number 280 on the thread that received two likes from others; Appreciate all you want. "Hes a very poor player who Irish fans enjoy for very stupid reasons"

This was while the match was going on about a player that Liam Brady correctly called our man of the campaign so far.

Then McClean scores the goal and this poster inexplicably continues with his comments.

Wow buddy you are a sad sad boy
    The stupid reasons are nothing to do with him being from the north
    Go check where Duffy is from...... i'm sure your google has found hes from the north...how about Gibson.....yes google again shows another northener :rolleyes:
    I've explained to you countless times why the "lowest common denominator " fans of Ireland like him and its because of his run around, least hes trying, oh a big slide tackle that left something on the player attitude
    So instead of writing nonsense maybe google something about football because you havent a clue

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement