Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

irishman86 wrote: »
    Wow buddy you are a sad sad boy
    The stupid reasons are nothing to do with him being from the north
    Go check where Duffy is from...... i'm sure your google has found hes from the north...how about Gibson.....yes google again shows another northener :rolleyes:
    I've explained to you countless times why the "lowest common denominator " fans of Ireland like him and its because of his run around, least hes trying, oh a big slide tackle that left something on the player attitude
    So instead of writing nonsense maybe google something about football because you havent a clue
    He's been our player of the campaign and even after he scored the last night you couldn't help yourself or have the self awareness to admit your mistake and move on. Your contribution on that match thread is there for all to see, you made a show of yourself and now your back to do it all over again.

I was wondering what was behind all your nonsense on that Wales/Ireland match thread about McClean because I thought to myself surely no-one can be that ridiculous and clueless there has to be something else there but perhaps there's not much more to you than just that. It's best to ignore you probably. Carry on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

TheCitizen wrote: »
    He's been our player of the campaign and even after he scored the last night you couldn't help yourself or have the self awareness to admit your mistake and move on. Your contribution on that match thread is there for all to see, you made a show of yourself and now your back to do it all over again.

I was wondering what was behind all your nonsense on that Wales/Ireland match thread about McClean because I thought to myself surely no-one can't be that ridiculous and clueless there has to be something else there but perhaps there's not much more to you than just that. It's best to ignore you probably. Carry on.

Yawn
    As usual ignore everything said, how about the fact i dont rate Whelan does that mean i hate the Dubs :eek:
    Clown comment from a clown poster, head up the Celtic forum with your paranoia buddy. Continue the show :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I was wondering what was behind all your nonsense on that Wales/Ireland match thread about McClean because I thought to myself surely no-one can be that ridiculous and clueless there has to be something else there but perhaps there's not much more to you than just that. It's best to ignore you probably. Carry on.

Christ you talk some utter, utter ****e.

TheCitizen, as a matter of idle interest do you go through each player in NI squads and think to yourself "is he one of us or one of them".

Ah go on, bet you do...;)

noodler wrote: »
    Christ you talk some utter, utter ****e.
    :pac: You've been quiet lately

• Advertisement

TheCitizen, as a matter of idle interest do you go through each player in NI squads and think to yourself "is he one of us or one of them".

Ah go on, bet you do...;)
    Not at all. I'd like to see one Ireland team, and would be willing to change somethings in relation to Anthems and emblems to make it possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Any Irish supporters watching Man United and Liverpool here? Mourinho set his team out to stifle the game. They created little or nothing. Mourinho wanted to get to 70 minutes at 0-0 and hope that Liverpool would take the bait. Klopp didn't take the bait and when he made his substitutions he merely replaced like for like, he didn't go for it.

MON is a similar coach to Mourinho in style. He makes the best of what he's got. He's at his best in a game like the one v Wales last week. The difference of course is Mourinho at Man U has millions to spend and can get players with talent that can turn games around on their own. His philosophy on the game is similar to Martin O'Neill's.

On here though we get comments like MON produces 'puke football', do posters (most of them Man U or Liverpool fans on this site I'd say) say the same of Mourinho's Man U team in a game like today? Or of Klopp's reluctance to 'go for it'?

There are some knowledgeable Ireland supporters on here but there's a lot who really haven't a clue.

:pac: You've been quiet lately

Your implication that I have somehow been "quiet lately" is because? Because you think you have a monopoly on celebrating Ireland doing well?

I haven't been talking all sorts of ****e to posters anyway.

Leave your sectarian agenda at the door will you.

Patww79 wrote: »

You're entitled to your opinion on that and I have respect for your views.

I'm a Celtic supporter myself and am Republican in my political views, but when I weigh it all up I'd prefer one Ireland team in soccer even if it meant giving up a little on elements like the Anthem. The flag you'd imagine should stay because it is about promoting co-operation between the two largest distinct communities on this island.

Anyway, a lot of that is for another day, and you're right the blazers in both organisations are probably the biggest obstacle to it ever happening.

I'm enjoying watching Ireland under MON now and know he's the man that can get the very best out of the squad of players we have.

• Advertisement

Your implication that I have somehow been "quiet lately" is because? Because you think you have a monopoly on celebrating Ireland doing well?

I haven't been talking all sorts of ****e to posters anyway.

Leave your sectarian agenda at the door will you.
    Who's sectarian? Nothing I've said is sectarian. You're a bitter little man aren't ya.

We'd see plenty of you on here if we didn't beat Wales last Monday.

You were on here 24/7 when we drew with Georgia and lost to Serbia, but in the recent round of games when we picked up 6 points and got the play off spot, you weren't seen for dust.

Says it all about you noodles.

Who's sectarian? Nothing I've said is sectarian. You're a bitter little man aren't ya.

We'd see plenty of you on here if we didn't beat Wales last Monday.

You were on here 24/7 when we drew with Georgia and lost to Serbia, but in the recent round of games when we picked up 6 points and got the play off spot, you weren't seen for dust.

Says it all about you noodles.

I had a 36 hour shift in work on Monday.

I've also been posting here for ten years.

Your high horse interpretation based on a day or two of quiet posting is fairly typical of your agenda against people who express an opinion against your ultra - nationalist views.
    You're entitled to your opinion on that and I have respect for your views.

I'm a Celtic supporter myself and am Republican in my political views, and won't hear anything negative against McClean or our Northern Irish manager without accusing you of being anti-Irish

This is more accurate.

I see your point. On this potential issue of one Ireland soccer team there's very valid argument on both sides for all sorts of reason. I think though if it ever became possible I'd side with one team to represent Ireland.

One of these days the question may actually come up. Mightn't happen for years yet though, but it will come up I reckon.

Right now am happy with MON's team and their efforts to get us to Russia.

I had a 36 hour shift in work on Monday.

I've also been posting here for ten years.

Your high horse interpretation based on a day or two of quiet posting is fairly typical of your agenda against people who express an opinion against your ultra - nationalist views.

So you've downgrade me from sectarian to ultra nationalist, very good.

Can you arrange a 36 hour shift for in and around the play offs if at all possible?

This is more accurate.
    Nope, that's just you changing my words to suit your agenda angry little man. Poor stuff noodles. Go back to bed.

So you've downgrade me from sectarian to ultra nationalist, very good.

Can you arrange a 36 hour shift for in and around the play offs if at all possible?

Nope, that's just you changing my words to suit your agenda angry little man. Poor stuff noodles. Go back to bed.

You keep hanging around so.

Keep shutting down any debate or criticism that doesn't go with your 15-year old Celtic jersey wearing views.

Just don't delude yourself that real fans aren't allowed cast a critical eye on performances.

If you want blind, unquestioning faith - then go to church. A football board forum might not be for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Republic of Ireland team talk/news/rumours........................ hmmmm

Anyway Maguire with a goal

You keep hanging around so.

Keep shutting down any debate or criticism that doesn't go with your 15-year old Celtic jersey wearing views.

Just don't delude yourself that real fans aren't allowed cast a critical eye on performances.

If you want blind, unquestioning faith - then go to church. A football board forum might not be for you.
    I've been critical of MON myself on occasions that we should be flexible enough to adapt from time to time when we meet a team officially weaker than us.

I knew though for definite that he was the best man to have in the dugout v Wales last Monday.

His style is best suited to playing against teams that may have more possession than us. Most of the teams we would hope to play against will have most of the possession, especially if we reach our targets and qualify for tournaments.

If Jose Mourinho was managing Ireland noodles, how do you think he'd set us up?

He'd do exactly what MON is doing.

Fair play to Seanie. Hitting the ground running.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Republic of Ireland team talk/news/rumours........................ hmmmm

Anyway Maguire with a goal

Got the assist for the first goal too, second goal was a deflection that came off him but they all count. Unfortunately for him though to come off injured after 30mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Seemed to be a lengthy delay for the injury to Maguire. 7 minutes added on in the first half. Hopefully nothing serious.

Balls. He was going really well too, hopefully not a career changer.

Pulled up with a tight hamstring apparently

Nice from McGeady this, 3rd of season. He really should have been given 30 odd minutes against Moldova, in my opinion

https://twitter.com/LilZe8/status/919262786806575104

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭mada82

Nice from McGeady this, 3rd of season. He really should have been given 30 odd minutes against Moldova, in my opinion

We definitely need goalscorers on the pitch but he just doesn’t seem able to replicate his championship form for ireland.

mada82 wrote: »
    We definitely need goalscorers on the pitch but he just doesn’t seem able to replicate his championship form for ireland.

In fairness, he hasn't been given the chance to since he hit form last season. Anytime he has came on, he has been lively. Granted, he got a half hour against Georgia and missed a good chance, I still think he is deserving of a bit more opportunity. Especially when we need creativity. Him being in the team would change the dynamic and stability of it all at present, whether that be for positive or negative reasons is different!

mada82 wrote: »

Most likely down to the different way the teams are set up and then most times when he does get a run out he'll most likely be playing on the right and he's completely wasted out there if you want him to beat his man and whip in crosses.

Wolves had another good win today against Villa which puts them top of the Championship and Matt Doherty has played every minute of every game for them and bar a couple of games at RB every game hes played RM. Would love to see him get a run out for Ireland given we really have no natural right sided players. The only two who seem to be naturally right footed are Johnny Hayes and McGeady.

Hayes struggles to get his game at club level and should really be pushed out of the national set up in favour of younger squad members and McGeady plays better on the left when he can cut back in on his stronger right foot. Apart from them you're looking at Johnny Walters but he's pushing on now, shoe horning Robbie Brady in on the right or trying out Maguire who seems to be playing out wide for Preston.

Seems to be the only bright side for Sunderland this season.

Does he ever score crap goals?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭briany

Any Irish supporters watching Man United and Liverpool here? Mourinho set his team out to stifle the game. They created little or nothing. Mourinho wanted to get to 70 minutes at 0-0 and hope that Liverpool would take the bait. Klopp didn't take the bait and when he made his substitutions he merely replaced like for like, he didn't go for it.

MON is a similar coach to Mourinho in style. He makes the best of what he's got. He's at his best in a game like the one v Wales last week. The difference of course is Mourinho at Man U has millions to spend and can get players with talent that can turn games around on their own. His philosophy on the game is similar to Martin O'Neill's.

If O'Neill hasn't got the players who can make things happen at will, then I suppose what he's relying on, in that vacuum, is a bit of luck. Certainly, that's what Ireland got on Monday. In saying that, the team capitalised on that luck very well and didn't squander it.

But the problem with using luck as part of your game plan is it can never be relied upon. It is, almost by definition, a variable. You're always an errant gust of wind, a mis-kick, or deflection away from being the hero or the villain. From people calling for your contract to be extended, or them calling for your head.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭mada82

briany wrote: »
    If O'Neill hasn't got the players who can make things happen at will, then I suppose what he's relying on, in that vacuum, is a bit of luck. Certainly, that's what Ireland got on Monday. In saying that, the team capitalised on that luck very well and didn't squander it.

But the problem with using luck as part of your game plan is it can never be relied upon. It is, almost by definition, a variable. You're always an errant gust of wind, a mis-kick, or deflection away from being the hero or the villain. From people calling for your contract to be extended, or them calling for your head.

Agree with the second paragraph completely. He was one Wales goal away from being a villain.

That’s what happens with that style of play, it’s only tolerated if results are good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Luckily the coin has landed on the right side for Ireland and we have beaten the world champions, got to the knockout of the Euros, beaten top ranked sides away which we never do and next month we’ll try and qualify for the World Cup for the fourth time on our history.

This is an era that we shouldn’t expect to see again for a while , enjoy it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭tigger123

Anyone know when Coleman is expected to return? Will he be available for the play offs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

tigger123 wrote: »
    Anyone know when Coleman is expected to return? Will he be available for the play offs?

No chance of play offs.
    Be December/January before he returns for Everton.

McCarthy will be back for play offs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

yabadabado wrote: »
    No chance of play offs.
    Be December/January before he returns for Everton.

McCarthy will be back for play offs.

McCarthy won't be playing imo unless he gets a few games under his belt before the qualifiers. Hasn't played in ages so his match fitness would be a big issue.

• Advertisement

McCarthy won't be playing imo unless he gets a few games under his belt before the qualifiers. Hasn't played in ages so his match fitness would be a big issue.

Never mentioned playing just that he will be available for selection.

Dots1982 wrote: »
    Luckily the coin has landed on the right side for Ireland and we have beaten the world champions, got to the knockout of the Euros, beaten top ranked sides away which we never do and next month we’ll try and qualify for the World Cup for the fourth time on our history.

This is an era that we shouldn’t expect to see again for a while , enjoy it.

I expect we can probably finish third in the euro qualifying next time around.

Hell, I hope we can get top two and qualify automatically.

I expect our next WC group will be tougher though.

The next Euro qualifying format is completely different. Impossible to know how it will work out for most teams.

Duffy off injured.

The next Euro qualifying format is completely different. Impossible to know how it will work out for most teams.

Yeah I just Googled that.

I'm literally none the wiser.

Looks a bit of a farce.

• Advertisement

Don't think there'll be any 3rd place play offs in the next qualifiers. Looks to me that the teams who qualify through the Nations League tournament will take up the spots that would have been there for those who finished third and it will be top two in each group automatically qualifying.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Duffy off injured.

Looked like a hammy. Bad news

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭briany

Didn't Jason McAteer score that goal against Holland when he was without a club at all?

Point being that if options are scant, McCarthy's available to play, and O'Neill likes his form in training, then whether he's been getting a game with his club won't be so much of a concern.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Didn't Jason McAteer score that goal against Holland when he was without a club at all?

Point being that if options are scant, McCarthy's available to play, and O'Neill likes his form in training, then whether he's been getting a game with his club won't be so much of a concern.

Think he'll be playing for Everton under 23's this week. 2/3 games with them should see him back in the first team squad in 2 weeks and Everton have plenty of games this month

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Think he'll be playing for Everton under 23's this week. 2/3 games with them should see him back in the first team squad in 2 weeks and Everton have plenty of games this month

The new manager might pay him :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

ScummyMan wrote: »
    Looked like a hammy. Bad news

Was his groin. Precautionary I’d say.

Irish u19s captain Jayson Molumby was named on the bench for Brighton today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Duffy doesn't seem too worried which is hopefully a good sign...

https://twitter.com/shaneduffy/status/919598230517755904

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

Duffy doesn't seem too worried which is hopefully a good sign...

https://twitter.com/shaneduffy/status/919598230517755904

That is great news. I was very worried when I read he had come off injured. Duffy has really grown into a quality defender and is starting to build a nice partnership with Ciaran Clark there for us.

eire4 wrote: »
    That is great news. I was very worried when I read he had come off injured. Duffy has really grown into a quality defender and is starting to build a nice partnership with Ciaran Clark there for us.

Still prefer Keogh over Clark tbh!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement