Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Praying for The Swiss or Denmark this afternoon. I know we can thrive against the big teams at times but Croatia and Italy would be far too much for us I feel. COYBIG
    Id say worse option is Croatia,The Swiss, Italy then Denmark,
    Croatia would destroy us and the Swiss are a great unit and a proper team , Italy are in a real transitional period , Denmark are the weakest on paper,
    Each team have better players than us but I see Denmark as beatable and Italy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Croatia would destroy us and the Swiss are a great unit and a proper team , Italy are in a real transitional period , Denmark are the weakest on paper,

Can you explain Italy's transitional period?

I really don't know how people come up with such nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭MojoRisinnnn

Italy haven't failed to qualify for a world cup since 1958, they have the quality to really play us off the pitch. I don't think there nearly in as much of a crisis that we're hearing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,121 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

If we get the swiss or the Danes we'll have a half decent chance, if it's either of the other two then it's curtains unfortunately :(

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

There is some great football being played in Serie A at present, I don't think Italy would be a good draw for us.

I think people often say "Italy aren't what they used to be" because they heard some pundit say it in the last few years.

Most teams aren't what they used to be, but I think Italy would put us out. Plus I always think FIFA want the likes of Italy in the tournament and they are likely to get a dodgy decision in their favour than us.

I think in terms of order, our best chance is Denmark, Switzerland, Croatia, Italy.

Italy have bags of experience. Nothing even approaching a transition there. Regulars such as Buffon Chiellini Barzagli Bonucci Candreva Parolo Di Rossi all 30 or above.

Even there younger lads are fairly experienced. Verratti Darmian Insigne Immobile fairly battle hardened at this stage.

Belotti would be the only relatively new player that's made an big impact.

But all in all probably one of the most experienced and toughest sides to face in Europe.

I think Italy would beat us in both legs...

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭ozzy78

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Italy have bags of experience. Nothing even approaching a transition there. Regulars such as Buffon Chiellini Barzagli Bonucci Candreva Parolo Di Rossi all 30 or above.

Even there younger lads are fairly experienced. Verratti Darmian Insigne Immobile fairly battle hardened at this stage.

Belotti would be the only relatively new player that's made an big impact.

But all in all probably one of the most experienced and toughest sides to face in Europe.

That list of players is very impressive. Definitely rather have Denmark or Switzerland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,304 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Anyone saying Switzerland would be tougher than Italy is delusional IMO. Italy / Croatia would beat us no problem unfortunately.

I'd even rather play Switzerland over Denmark tbh. I watched the Portugal - Swiss game and they were absolutely awful, Portugal should have had 4/5 on them.

I know Portugal are Euro champions and have Ronaldo but Swiss only needed a point to qualify automatically but they rolled over and now in the play offs. Fair dues winning 9 from 9 but that win against Portugal was right after the Euros so you could say Portugal may have had a Euro hangover. Other than that, I'd be VERY disappointed if we dropped points against Faroe Islands, Latvia & Andorra home & away. That's 18 points and Hungary are hardly world beaters, 4 points from them would be deemed just fine.

Easy qualifying group makes them seem better than they are, we beat them 1-0 last March albeit in a friendly game, I'd much rather have them over the other 3.

I'd be wary of Denmark due to Eriksen, for me he's the best midfielder in the Prem, easily top 5 in Europe and has the ability to win the game on his own, similar to a Bale & Wales

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭sheroman01

PHEW! 50/50 between Italy and Denmark there. Denmark it is! Away first too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,927 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Denmark.

Well that is the one everyone wanted.

Best draw we could have hoped for.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭The Red Lad

Couldn’t ask for better draw imo especially with having the second game in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

So should we book flights now or?

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭MojoRisinnnn

Duff wrote: »
    So should we book flights now or?

Only for the Semi's, lets not get ahead of ourselves just yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Joekers

What's the dates?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭sheroman01

Denmark.

Well that is the one everyone wanted.

Well, second best outcome really, Switzerland would be easier. BUT - can't complain, second best option and we are at home for the second leg!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

God is an Irishman. That draw couldn't have turned out any better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Happy with that.

Quick look through the Danish squad their important players would be Eriksen, Bendtner, Tommy Delaney, and Kasper Dolberg off the bench. Schmeichel in goal and Kjaer is a good defender but mixed bag for the rest. Lasse Schøne is a classy player but old now and likely off the bench also.

We can take these.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭tigger123

Delighted with that!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

3 playoff campaigns in a row we get the easiest playoff draw going; Estonia, Bosnia, Denmark. Makes up for France a little bit...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

8-10 wrote: »
    Happy with that.

Quick look through the Danish squad their important players would be Eriksen, Bendtner, Tommy Delaney, and Kasper Dolberg off the bench. Schmeichel in goal and Kjaer is a good defender but mixed bag for the rest. Lasse Schøne is a classy player but old now and likely off the bench also.

We can take these.

who is that traitor?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

sheroman01 wrote: »
    Well, second best outcome really, Switzerland would be easier. BUT - can't complain, second best option and we are at home for the second leg!

I doubt the swiss would have been a better draw, Denmark around our level and 2nd leg at home, perfect draw, no excuses now. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,164 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

loyatemu wrote: »
    who is that traitor?

Our ace in the hole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Awesome! Someone rough Eriksen up good and proper and we've a great chance!

• Advertisement

Randolph interview right now is gas. Is there an exact date for the games yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Amirani wrote: »
    3 playoff campaigns in a row we get the easiest playoff draw going; Estonia, Bosnia, Denmark. Makes up for France a little bit...

Denmark are miles ahead of Estonia and Bosnia, I'd say they are somewhat better than the Swiss as well but would take them all day over Croatia and Italy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

loyatemu wrote: »
    who is that traitor?

Quality player, Irish on his dad's side but grew up in Denmark and the States.

Out of Denmark's last 10 goals, 8 were scored by either Thomas Delaney or Christian Eriksen with 4 each from midfield.

Beat Poland 4-0 at home in that stretch so they're not pushovers but if we keep it tight in the first leg we can do this.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Any idea when the game dates are confirmed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,939 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Happy enough with the draw but they did beat Poland 4-0 and will fancy themselves against us. Nice too be away first

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Eriksen to get the Joe Allen treatment. . .very early!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

For anyone watching Sky news, did someone just shout, "you're not even Irish" at Cyrus Christie while being interviewed in the Middlesborough media room?

For anyone watching Sky news, did someone just shout, "you're not even Irish" at Cyrus Christie while being interviewed in the Middlesborough media room?
    Copped that too and rewinded think he did yeah slightly awkward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

"banter"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

Copped that too and rewinded think he did yeah slightly awkward.

Done the same myself. Strange cause it looked like it was in some building on Middlesborough's grounds and not just a random person. Unless it's like an inside-joke or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Best we could have hoped for.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

theteal wrote: »
    Eriksen to get the Joe Allen treatment. . .very early!
    Burnley playing Spurs at the weekend......

No reason why we can't beat the Danes, their not that much better than us.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Joeyjoejoe43

Any dates?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

No matter who we got it was going to be difficult but the draw certainly could've been a lot worse. Reckon we have a sporting chance of getting to Russia now. People are saying Italy are struggling or in transition but they always qualify and Croatia have some very talented players, happy we avoided those two.

• Advertisement

8-10 wrote: »
    Happy with that.

We can take these.

Sisto and Poulsen having good seasons for Celta Vigo and Leipzig.

They still have far more players at better clubs than us, but under MONs excellent management we're used to getting results against better sides so bring it on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

A lot of people seem delighted we are at home in the second leg. We have really struggled at home in recent matches. Its hard to tell how it will go.

We have a chance to get through but we are still underdogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Anyone know the dates?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

MON saying that the home leg 2nd is good and bad, as the Danes have potentially 120 mins playing with the away goal rule on their side.
    So a 0-0 first leg, and all they have to do is play for a score draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

9th and 14th November are the dates

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,304 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

thelad95 wrote: »
    Anyone know the dates?

9-11 Nov 1st Leg, 12-14 Nov 2nd leg. Unconfirmed as yet

Worth keeping an eye on the FAI twitter page

https://twitter.com/FAIreland/status/920267602026483712

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

9th and 14th November are the dates
    source?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

source?

Just heard it on 2fm man that's all

The_B_Man wrote: »
    MON saying that the home leg 2nd is good and bad, as the Danes have potentially 120 mins playing with the away goal rule on their side.
    So a 0-0 first leg, and all they have to do is play for a score draw.
    If you get an away goal in the second leg there's little time for the opposition to do much about it. MON is right, there's pros and cons to being home for the first or second leg.

• Advertisement

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Sisto and Poulsen having good seasons for Celta Vigo and Leipzig.

They still have far more players at better clubs than us, but under MONs excellent management we're used to getting results against better sides so bring it on.
    He's exactly the man you want managing your team in a winner takes all tie like this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement