Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Redo91 wrote: »
    Is Lee O'Connor from United still eligible? I think I saw he played for our under 19s recently so I don't know is it a case he's been bumped up or is he overage now.

Yes Lee O'Connor is overage, he played in last two qualifiers /tournament (didn't qualify in 2016 and made the QFs in 2017) and is playing well for the u19s.

The u19s also qualified for the elite round of the u19s qualifiers as top seeds and funnily enough O'Connor plays midfield for the u19s so could be a very versatile player for the seniors if he keeps progressing.

so is that another 4 group qualifier to qualify for the competition?

Yup. Draw is on Dec 6th and the elite round will be played in March.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Burnley playing Spurs at the weekend......

Nope Spurs playing Liverpool at the weekend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

The time to take that extra minimal bit of risk is in the first leg. The way we set up camp, when we are ahead, if we brought any sort of away goal into the Aviva, we would have to be favourites. Aiming to get out "without losing", ie not conceding shouldn't be the approach.

I can't imagine Copenhagen is this daunting arena either. We came out of that Cardiff match (with a similar capacity, but a much more intimidating welcoming) so, if we are good enough to win in the Aviva, we shouldn't be any less likely to be capable of winning in the Parken.

Hopefully MON will take this on board ( I know you are listening, Martin.........under the username The Citizen...... :D:D - joke ) and tries to grab a priceless away goal.

A lot of people seem delighted we are at home in the second leg. We have really struggled at home in recent matches. Its hard to tell how it will go.

We have a chance to get through but we are still underdogs.

Have played better away from home and gives us the chance of grabbing an away goal in the first leg of the play off. Always prefer playing the second leg at home because you got the home fans behind you and you know what needs to be done in terms of qualifying.

Not gonna be easy because Denmark have some tidy players like Eirksen, Sisto, Delaney etc but I'm sure they won't be happy to have drawn us because they know they're in for two tough games given how hard we can be to break down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,317 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Away to Denmark on Saturday the 11th. In the Aviva on Tuesday the 14th

https://twitter.com/FAIreland/status/920281426557366272

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,166 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

theteal wrote: »
    Eriksen to get the Joe Allen treatment. . .very early!

really early, like maybe on Nov 5th when Spurs play Palace, Damien Delaney could make his contribution :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,666 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

DELANEY SNUBS IRELAND AND CONDEMNS FANS SHOCKER

Re:Thomas Delaney (from Wikipedia)

"Republic of Ireland tried to get him to declare for them, but, he declined, stating that he had no interest in playing for them, and that he was perturbed by the attention seeking antics of their fans whenever they travel abroad"

Now for ya Davy Keogh ðŸ˜႒

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

"Republic of Ireland tried to get him to declare for them, but, he declined, stating that he had no interest in playing for them, and that he was perturbed by the attention seeking antics of their fans whenever they travel abroad"

Now for ya Davy Keogh #4242;

No source for that though so could be anyone writing that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭chasm

According to the guy on RTE, Switzerland are 10 times World Cup winners!
    skip to 1 minute into the video that was posted at 1.25pm.
    https://www.rte.ie/sport/other-sport/2017/1017/912826-live-your-morning-sports-updates/

Would help if he actually qualified to play for us first, even Cascarino is more Irish than Thomas Delaney but agree with his comments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

just looking at the rankings there, danes at 19th are the lowest, croatia in 18th, italy 15 and switzerland 11th. we dont have great record against swiss. italy havene beaten us in god knows how many of the previous matches. I reckon it would be very tight over two legs and we could even do them, but as others mention, they always seem to find a way and fifa are going to want them there...

Danes probably the best draw... will have lots of support there and it wont be intimidating etc...

Away to Denmark on Saturday the 11th. In the Aviva on Tuesday the 14th

https://twitter.com/FAIreland/status/920281426557366272

Excitement kicking in now! Just wish it was next Saturday!

Cotton wool time for the squad!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,640 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

The time to take that extra minimal bit of risk is in the first leg. The way we set up camp, when we are ahead, if we brought any sort of away goal into the Aviva, we would have to be favourites. Aiming to get out "without losing", ie not conceding shouldn't be the approach.

I can't imagine Copenhagen is this daunting arena either. We came out of that Cardiff match (with a similar capacity, but a much more intimidating welcoming) so, if we are good enough to win in the Aviva, we shouldn't be any less likely to be capable of winning in the Parken.

Hopefully MON will take this on board ( I know you are listening, Martin.........under the username The Citizen...... :D:D - joke ) and tries to grab a priceless away goal.
    MON is all ears, especially when he's listening to a Talking Bread:D

I agree, an away goal would be priceless and could tilt the tie in our favour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,166 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Would help if he actually qualified to play for us first, even Cascarino is more Irish than Thomas Delaney but agree with his comments.

Wikipedia:
    "Delaney's paternal great grandfather moved from Ireland to the United States due to the Great Famine."

I'm older than him and my great grandfather would have been born at least 30 years after the famine. But anyway it seems he wouldn't qualify anyway.

Excitement kicking in now! Just wish it was next Saturday!

Cotton wool time for the squad!
    I remember we had a play off v Belgium and Roy Keane did his cruciate just prior to the tie. It was a devastating blow. Fingers crossed we don't lose any players before the Denmark ties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,245 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

That wikipedia thing is 1000% rubbish. Might get a few thanks though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,323 ✭✭✭✭briany

pjohnson wrote: »
    That wikipedia thing is 1000% rubbish. Might get a few thanks though :)

Yeah, I don't see anything on his page now, but someone was supposed to have written that Delaney said that he wouldn't be devastated if Ireland won the tie because of his affinity for the place. Bit of tit-for-tat going on, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    Trying to be realistic here, but we need a series of "moments" to qualify for Russia.

- Scotland drop points/Croatia & Ukraine draw
    - We beat Wales
    - We avoid horrible top seed and win playoff

It seems like a lot of sh!te is going to have to go our way.

Like we're talking a whole episode of 'reeling in the years' will be dedicated to this final month if we do it.

Nearly there... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,245 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

briany wrote: »
    Yeah, I don't see anything on his page now, but someone was supposed to have written that Delaney said that he wouldn't be devastated if Ireland won the tie because of his affinity for the place. Bit of tit-for-tat going on, I think.

After we drew Denmark I checked wiki for a laugh to see if they still rely on Bendtner (they do with ex Cardiff flop Cornelius one of their other strikers) was intruiged to see "Delaney" so clicked it. This was around 1.10pm. By birth his great grandfather was Irish, his grandfather American and himself and his father Danish. Hes no more eligible than Maradona. Any gobshįttery now is just tryna impress mates/get thanks. He has never been linked to Ireland National Teams in anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Denmark probably slight favourites, but to be a playoff against Denmark away from a WC is very exciting!

Possibly would have prefferred the swiss who tend to be a turgid side and who I feel we would have had two terribly boring games against. Denmark have more goals in them and there's a slight fear we might have to much to do come the return leg.

But very happy with the draw anyway, exciting times

• Advertisement

Denmark vs Republic of Ireland stats

These two sides have met 13 times.

The boys in green have won five, drawn five and lost three.

The last meeting was a 4-0 win for Ireland in Aarhus in 2007.

before the draw, the northern irish consensus was that they would definitely want denmark...

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

Anyone know the kick off times? Surely the football and rugby won't clash?

PhilipsR wrote: »
    Both games kick off 19:45. Who cares what time the rugby is at? A friendly match v South Africa

• Registered Users Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

https://twitter.com/RTEsport/status/920289986922123265

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Both games kick off 19:45. Who cares what time the rugby is at? A friendly match v South Africa

:rolleyes:

Myself and a significant portion of the Irish sporting public do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

Best draw Ireland could have hoped for imo, but still under dogs. I'd say Ireland are happier about the draw than the Danes are.

But still big hurdle. Meyler's suspension is a shame too. Anyway.... Not quite 50/50 but not that far off it. A fighting chance.

Best draw Ireland could have hoped for imo, but still under dogs. I'd say Ireland are happier about the draw than the Danes are.

But still big hurdle. Meyler's suspension is a shame too. Anyway.... Not quite 50/50 but not that far off it. A fighting chance.
    yeah, 100% out of the top seeds, the republic are certainly the ones I would not have wanted...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Any experts on the Danes? Would love to get some insight into their team.

Looking at their squad on Wiki and where they're playing, there really doesn't seem to be that much of a gulf between the squads even "on paper", the only noticeable difference being the fact they have a world class player in Eriksen. And we tend to be much better than the sum of our parts.

Always interesting to see how the bookies price it. Denmark are 8/11, Ireland Evs on bet365, probably around what I would expect.

I have this sneaking feeling we'll do it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,054 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

They have been playing very well in the World Cup qualifiation, they gave Poland a thumping in Copenhagen a couple of weeks ago. Beside the ones we know from the Premier league they have some really good players. Thomas Delaney only came to my attention since he went to the Bundesliga but he is a fine player and I seen the Sisto lad last night playing for Celta Vigo and he looks very good too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,603 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Best draw we could have hoped for really so very happy with that, we will still be the underdogs however but I would think it is similar to when we played Bosnia two years ago. Don't know what to make of being home for the second leg, the Aviva should be rocking and it was a special night for the aforementioned Bosnia game but this campaign we have generally been playing better away from home, also it will be tense if we draw the first leg 0-0 knowing that a Denmark goal in Dublin would give them a huge advantaged. A goal in Copenhagen would be huge to bring back to Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Happy with Denmark. I would have gladly taken that. I do think they need to be shown more respect though. In Eriksen they will have the best player on the park and while Wales didn't have a player with the craft to unlock our defence, in Eriksen Denmark absolutely do.

I would put him only behind De Bruyne as far as in-form creative midfielders in the Premier League right now. And according to a stat I saw on Sky, no player in the qualifiers created more chances than Eriksen - and he had made seven more than De Bruyne.

I know Martin Braithwaite from watching him at Toulouse last season. He is a good player, though not great. He's at Middlesbrough now. I haven't followed his progress there.

I'm not a great fan of their captain Simon Kjaer who's at Sevilla. He's not great on the ball although you could say the same about our defenders. I do like Daniel Wass from Celta Vigo. I saw him last night against Las Palmas and he played well. He was at right-back but he's usually a midfielder. Pione Sisto is another good player from the same team.

Bendtner we all know. He can hurt us but we don't need to fear him. I've heard good things about Thomas Delaney but haven't seen enough to comment on him. Likewise I know Dolberg's name but don't watch enough Dutch football to form an opinion. Don't know enough about the rest of the team.

I see the games being close affairs with a goal or two deciding it overall. I would be very fearful of Eriksen on current form. The one great relief is that they don't have any outstanding strikers to feed off his opportunities but sure we don't have any outstanding strikers ourselves.

I would be cautiously optimistic about our chances but I think a lot depends on which players are fit. It's a 50/50 one for me, but that's a damn sight better than playing Croatia or Italy where I think our chances would have been more like 20/80. Fingers and toes crossed MON and Roy come up with a good plan and we can do the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭R00ster

Not the first time Hierro has done us a big favour. Approaching Gary Mackay status at this stage:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

No matter what this is still a tough draw and i reckon we need to score two over there to get through this tie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

He “snubbed” Ireland by his ancestors leaving here well over a hundred years ago. He was never eligible for us. Wa eligible for USA or Denmark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,472 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

First, and last, time for everything I suppose.

TheCitizen, I agree with you 100%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

To even be in the playoffs after the Serbia result still feels almost too good to be true. This draw will do grand imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,542 ✭✭✭✭noodler

To even be in the playoffs after the Serbia result still feels almost too good to be true. This draw will do grand imo.

Yeah, it felt like we had thrown it away with Georgia and Serbia.

I just hope we don't take them lightly.

A drab set of games can be punctuated by Erikson set pieces. Will have to be disciplined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,176 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

First, and last, time for everything I suppose.

TheCitizen, I agree with you 100%
    There's hope for ya yet Toddy Umptious (sic)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭Onecoolcookie

Happen to be in Copenhagen by chance on the day of the match.

Never been to an Irish away game before though, how do I go about getting tickets?

• Advertisement

Happen to be in Copenhagen by chance on the day of the match.

Never been to an Irish away game before though, how do I go about getting tickets?

Won't be easy! Small stadium and apparently Danes only allocating 5 % to us! Less than 2000.

You would be very lucky to get one,

http://away.fai.ie./

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,566 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Yeah tickets are going to be tricky for this.
    2100 is all they have to give us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

yabadabado wrote: »
    Yeah tickets are going to be tricky for this.
    2100 is all they have to give us.

Ya, 5% + 200 is the minimum. Bit of talk that both FA's may agree a higher %, here's hoping anyway

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Did you watch Jose's expensively assembled Man U team at Anfield last Saturday?

You don't get it.

:rolleyes: so very very sad
    Two managers who play defensive football hence they are the same, sure you may aswell compare him to all the great Italian managers while your at it :pac:

We already have the right management, they've got us to a play off.

I recall you never wanted MON appointed as Ireland manager in the first place. I also recall asking you who we should've appointed instead at the time.

Your answer was Guus Hiddink ....LOL.

Guus would've been away with his loot two years back and no return for the FAI investment.

MON? He got us to the Euros and performed well there, and now we're in a play off for the World Cup.

Some Celtic fan you are.

And here we have it, the blindness of a Celtic fan, supporting Ireland has no relevance to being a Celtic fan

A lot of the Irish public would care, its funny because you were the one complaining about people hating the north and now dismiss a team that represents the whole Island
    You really are a poor clown at least show some consistency

Happy with Denmark. I would have gladly taken that. I do think they need to be shown more respect though. In Eriksen they will have the best player on the park and while Wales didn't have a player with the craft to unlock our defence, in Eriksen Denmark absolutely do.

I would put him only behind De Bruyne as far as in-form creative midfielders in the Premier League right now. And according to a stat I saw on Sky, no player in the qualifiers created more chances than Eriksen - and he had made seven more than De Bruyne.

I know Martin Braithwaite from watching him at Toulouse last season. He is a good player, though not great. He's at Middlesbrough now. I haven't followed his progress there.

I'm not a great fan of their captain Simon Kjaer who's at Sevilla. He's not great on the ball although you could say the same about our defenders. I do like Daniel Wass from Celta Vigo. I saw him last night against Las Palmas and he played well. He was at right-back but he's usually a midfielder. Pione Sisto is another good player from the same team.

Bendtner we all know. He can hurt us but we don't need to fear him. I've heard good things about Thomas Delaney but haven't seen enough to comment on him. Likewise I know Dolberg's name but don't watch enough Dutch football to form an opinion. Don't know enough about the rest of the team.

I see the games being close affairs with a goal or two deciding it overall. I would be very fearful of Eriksen on current form. The one great relief is that they don't have any outstanding strikers to feed off his opportunities but sure we don't have any outstanding strikers ourselves.

I would be cautiously optimistic about our chances but I think a lot depends on which players are fit. It's a 50/50 one for me, but that's a damn sight better than playing Croatia or Italy where I think our chances would have been more like 20/80. Fingers and toes crossed MON and Roy come up with a good plan and we can do the business.

Anyone good enough to warrant a 50mill bid from Monaco in the summer is someone i'd fear, i just hope they wait till the next qualifiers to make him there main striker

irishman86 wrote: »
    :rolleyes: so very very sad
    Two managers who play defensive football hence they are the same, sure you may aswell compare him to all the great Italian managers while your at it :pac:
    And here we have it, the blindness of a Celtic fan, supporting Ireland has no relevance to being a Celtic fan
    A lot of the Irish public would care, its funny because you were the one complaining about people hating the north and now dismiss a team that represents the whole Island
    You really are a poor clown at least show some consistency
    Oh dear, someone is upset:pac: You should be, you exposed yourself horrendously in the Wales/Ireland match thread and that's where your bitterness stems from.

Actually I do watch the rugby internationals but the soccer game that day takes precedence.

Embarrassing stuff from you pal, I'm scarlet for ya:o

Lads, anyone ever used their season tickets for presales?

Trying to pick up a ticket for the Denmark game for a friend but have no idea where to be looking on the website. All I know is that it's from 11am today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Lads, anyone ever used their season tickets for presales?

Trying to pick up a ticket for the Denmark game for a friend but have no idea where to be looking on the website. All I know is that it's from 11am today.

You'll have an email about with a link, follow that

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement