Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Dots1982 wrote: »
    No chance, he’s is slow, prone to rash fouls and is bad on the ball.

On the positive defender he’s an agricultural defender and a threat from set pieces.
    He has improved and will continue to improve. Don't know how far he can go but regular EPL action and with his positive attitude will ensure he'll be our mainstay cb for years to come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

I think Duffy is benefiting enormously from being in a settled team at a stable club with a pragmatic manager. 

He doesn't have the world class abilities (especially pace and agility) required to be a centre back in the plying systems at Liverpool or Arsenal, and not many do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Yep I think he’d struggle in an offensively minded team with a high line defense.

However he’s perfect for the park the bus style teams like Burnley, Brighton, West Brom and ..... Man Utd :pac:

Yep I think he’d struggle in an offensively minded team with a high line defense.

However he’s perfect for the park the bus style teams like Burnley, Brighton, West Brom and ..... Man Utd :pac:
    I don't know if he'd get a move to Arsenal or Liverpool as has been suggested but if he keeps improving, who knows? He'll become an experienced, solid EPL cb, Jonny Evans was heavily linked with a big money move to Man City from West Brom this summer precisely for that reason and he was at Man United for a few years as was John O'Shea. If Duffy keeps getting better, cuts out the rushes of blood to the head that he used to do, he could become a useful cb for any team in that league.

MON promoted him to first pick for Ireland and was criticized by some for doing so and dropping John O'Shea. He made a couple of glaring errors as well v France and v Moldova, but I reckon that promotion as first pick for Ireland has helped his progress enormously and his club manager at Brighton obviously trusts him as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

He's too terrified of the ball at his feet to ever play for a top 6 club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Belated happy birthday to Kim Il-John.

A party for a fully grown man.

https://twitter.com/irish_pics/status/922480962272989184

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Zebra3 wrote: »

The cardboard cut out :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

sometimes i look at the aviva and think that havelock square end really does make it look ****e.

makes a really bad looking cake though.

yabadabado wrote: »
    The cardboard cut out :o

Still having fantasies of being a player.

Brought back memories of him going down to applaud the fans after the match in Moscow as if he was Richard Dunne.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Ireland's u16s made a winning start to their defence of the victory shield this evening beating the North 1-0.

• Advertisement

Still having fantasies of being a player.

Brought back memories of him going down to applaud the fans after the match in Moscow as if he was Richard Dunne.

He used to do that at all the away games for a while and throw his ****ing tie into the crowd .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

yabadabado wrote: »
    He used to do that at all the away games for a while and throw his ****ing tie into the crowd .
    Ye , were lucky it wasn’t his underwear.......:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

On the funny side I just seen Celtic won Fifa fans of the year for 2017,
    It was only yesterday morning that they where fined for the 12th time in 6 season's over fan behaviour  by UEFA , 
    So how in the world did they win that,

It was only yesterday morning that they where fined for the 12th time in 6 season's over fan behaviour  by UEFA , 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

1. What has it got to do with the Irish national team?

Jesus sorry for mentioning it just thought it was funny ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I know one poster who will deem it relevant anyway...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Most successful and biggest Irish club worldwide aren't they? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

Tha tifo display on the last home game of last season to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Lisbon Lions victory is how Celtic won it.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2017/05/lisbon-lions-display.png?strip=all&w=960&quality=100

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

It was only yesterday morning that they where fined for the 12th time in 6 season's over fan behaviour by UEFA ,
    So maybe 100 fans causing trouble doesn't mean the other 99% are not amazing. As a neutral, European nights at other grounds just cannot match Paradise.

• Advertisement

Jesus sorry for mentioning it just thought it was funny ,
    Funny How:eek::P:eek::P:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Thank f*ck Koeman is gone. His snidey remarks at MON re McCarthy were tiresome. Maybe the injury problems are due to his own (former) club rather than passing the issue and publicity onto Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Anyone hear any funny stories about Andy Reid lately? If you know you know.

I saw a text.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

I saw a text.

Tell us more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Ya can't say that and then not tell us, ffs!

What is the point of bring up a story you can't tell!!

Give us a clue .

• Advertisement

So maybe 100 fans causing trouble doesn't mean the other 99% are not amazing. As a neutral, European nights at other grounds just cannot match Paradise.

LOL galore.

No fans in Britain (or indeed in Ireland) can match the atmosphere of grounds in Italy and Turkey to name but two countries.

link doesn't work

No idea why the link doesn’t work. If you scroll down to that accounts “oddsonfpl” tweets from the 13th of this month you’ll see the rumour.

It originated from someone close to the Irish camo I think.

It might be against the charter so I’m not posting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

No idea why the link doesn’t work. If you scroll down to that accounts “oddsonfpl” tweets from the 13th of this month you’ll see the rumour.

So Trap had no problem with his guitar playing after all :D

Think the incident had nothing to do with Andy Reid’s international prospects. Think that’s something needlessly tagged onto the story to make it more juicy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,939 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Denmark didnt qualify for a finals since the 2010 World cup and missed out on Euro 2016 so they must be guaranteed a bit of luck??

• Advertisement

Hmm, i'll believe it when I see it, but I have no desire to see it so, eh, i guess I will be a non believer!!

Given that Kilbane interviewed him on OTB recently and addressed the issue and spoke about the reasons being the ones we were previously led to believe (Kilbane being part of the squad with him), I imagine those reasons still stand.

I don't see anything in that tweet that suggests that the "rumour" emanated from anyone close to the camp! Just seems to be a random, silly tweet!

anyway...............great "little" baller was Andy. Sad when you see technically gifted players like himself, Hoolahan and Ireland never being everpresents.

Still remember being in a hotel bar in Tenerife when he scored that cracker against Cyprus!

That rumour doing the rounds a long while. It didnt end Reids international career as his team mate supposed to not have cared less .

Oh yeah, because obviously the parties involved would have gone to the FAI first to trash it out, it has a famous reputation for dealing with delicate family matters.

Oh and obviously then you'd get the FAI, the managers and all the players in on the secret and hatch this elaborate plot involving a guitar, and get Reid to go along and even to complain about it to dress it up that little bit better.

Honestly, the amount of football fans who believe every single internet rumour with the word "banging" in it.

Think the incident had nothing to do with Andy Reid’s international prospects. Think that’s something needlessly tagged onto the story to make it more juicy.

Think no one read the above. I know it didn’t end Reid’s Ireland career. I also didn’t just see it on twitter. I saw it as a WhatsApp conversation.

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Tell us more

I'm not sure if i'd be carded or banned for telling the story. It was an off the ball presenter that confirmed the story in the Whatsapp text I saw, it related to Reid and another players mother in law.

• Advertisement

Decent by O'Dowda who has been criticised a bit of late by Bristol fans.

https://twitter.com/GodSaveTheFoot/status/922929381873504256

Declan Rice starting tonight for West Ham.Game is on Sky.

Be good to get a proper look at him,done as starting at CB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

James McCarthy playing tonight, must be his first game of the season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

TheCitizen wrote: »
    James McCarthy playing tonight, must be his first game of the season?

Good to see. Hopefully he gets another couple of games in before the play offs. Not a big fan of his, but would much rather see him replace Meyler in Copenhagen than Whelan.
    He has done ok for us in the past as the holding midfielder.

Stevecw wrote: »
    Good to see. Hopefully he gets another couple of games in before the play offs. Not a big fan of his, but would much rather see him replace Meyler in Copenhagen than Whelan.
    He has done ok for us in the past as the holding midfielder.
    He has, he's a better option than Glen Whelan. He's played quite well for us at times despite all the negativity about him. He's had awful injury problems, needs to put those behind him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

If he can get march fit but not alot of time.

Here's hoping he can keep fit. Hasn't been able to the last three years.

3 games until away leg so hopefully he gets some minutes under his belt.A fit and playing McCarthy will be a regular for us ,maybe new Everton manager will rate him more than Koeman otherwise he needs a move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

After a shaky start young Rice seems to have played very well for WHU.
    Good praise from 5Live.
    Good to see him getting plenty of action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement