Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Mccarthy was decent in the first half tonight. He'll get more minutes as Everton have 3 games in the next ten days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

After a shaky start young Rice seems to have played very well for WHU.
    Good praise from 5Live.
    Good to see him getting plenty of action.

He improved as the night went on,tough for a young CB back up against a team like Spurs.He was at fault for first goal but unlucky with second.
    Between him tonight and Conor Ronan last night its good to see 2 of our young lads starting to break though even if its only league cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

yabadabado wrote: »
    3 games until away leg so hopefully he gets some minutes under his belt.A fit and playing McCarthy will be a regular for us ,maybe new Everton manager will rate him more than Koeman otherwise he needs a move.

Hard for a manager to rate somebody when they're injured so often. From when Koeman joined Everton McCarthy has been injured for a total of 227 days, that's nearly half the length of Koemans reign which was 496 days.

Patww79 wrote: »
    I hadn't realised before he's London born so I hope he doesn't get too good too quick!

Should be capped competitively at the first oppurtunity we get post world cup or at least involved in the senior squad from here on out. Not many Irish teenagers involved in first team squads for Premier League teams never mind actually picking up game time at 18. Getting him into the senior squad training and playing with better players will only help his chances of first team football at club level.

Afaik Rice has already been involved with senior squad.
    Did a few sessions in one of those extended squads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

He improved as the night went on,tough for a young CB back up against a team like Spurs.He was at fault for first goal but unlucky with second.
    Between him tonight and Conor Ronan last night its good to see 2 of our young lads starting to break though even if its only league cup.

How was he at fault for the first goal?

Afaik Rice has already been involved with senior squad.
    Did a few sessions in one of those extended squads.

Was brought up to train with the squad while they were down in fota at the end of last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,425 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Decent by O'Dowda who has been criticised a bit of late by Bristol fans.

https://twitter.com/GodSaveTheFoot/status/922929381873504256

That's a really well taken goal. Had to hit it quick

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Know he's a long way off the team now, and apologies if talked about before but Jack Byrne has been hitting some nice form this month for Oldham.

Apparently becoming a fan favourite. Oldham got off to a brutal start this season seeing them in the relegation zone but now have moved 6 points clear after going unbeaten in their last 6 and winning 4 of them.

Byrne also put in a man of the match display against Blackburn two weeks ago, a club he had an unsuccessful loan spell at last year.

They find themselves 5 points off the top 6 now.
    I know it's baby steps but it's good to see some positive momentum building up for him.
    The goal is obviously to impress this season, in an attempt to get regular football in the championship, and he so far is fulfilling this.

Republic of Ireland Provisional Squad
    Goalkeepers: Darren Randolph (Middlesbrough), Keiren Westwood (Sheffield Wednesday), Rob Elliot (Newcastle United), Colin Doyle (Bradford City)
    Defenders: Cyrus Christie (Middlesbrough), Matt Doherty (Wolverhampton Wanderers), Paul McShane (Reading), Richard Keogh (Derby County), Shane Duffy (Brighton & Hove Albion), Ciaran Clark (Newcastle United), John O'Shea (Sunderland), Kevin Long, Stephen Ward (Burnley)
    Midfielders: Aiden McGeady (Sunderland), Daryl Horgan, Alan Browne (Preston North End), Glenn Whelan, Conor Hourihane (Aston Villa), Harry Arter (Bournemouth), James McCarthy (Everton), Robbie Brady, Jeff Hendrick (Burnley), Eunan O'Kane (Leeds United), David Meyler (Hull City), Wes Hoolahan (Norwich City), Callum O'Dowda (Bristol City), Jonny Hayes (Celtic), James McClean (West Bromwich Albion)
    Forwards: Shane Long (Southampton), Daryl Murphy (Nottingham Forest), David McGoldrick (Ipswich Town), Sean Maguire (Preston North End), Scott Hogan (Aston Villa), Aiden O'Brien (Millwall)

• Advertisement

Good to see Matt Doherty and Alan Browne get called up ,fully deserved.

Provisional squad named today. Any reason why Ireland name such a large provisional squad, seems like a waste of time to me imo.

Republic of Ireland Squad

Goalkeepers:
    Darren Randolph (Middlesbrough), Keiren Westwood (Sheffield Wednesday), Rob Elliot (Newcastle United), Colin Doyle (Bradford City)

Defenders:
    Cyrus Christie (Middlesbrough), Matt Doherty (Wolverhampton Wanderers), Paul McShane (Reading), Richard Keogh (Derby County), Shane Duffy (Brighton & Hove Albion), Ciaran Clark (Newcastle United), John O'Shea (Sunderland), Kevin Long, Stephen Ward (Burnley)

Midfielders:
    Aiden McGeady (Sunderland), Daryl Horgan, Alan Browne (Preston North End), Glenn Whelan, Conor Hourihane (Aston Villa), Harry Arter (Bournemouth), James McCarthy (Everton), Robbie Brady, Jeff Hendrick (Burnley), Eunan O'Kane (Leeds United), David Meyler (Hull City), Wes Hoolahan (Norwich City), Callum O'Dowda (Bristol City), Jonny Hayes (Celtic), James McClean (West Bromwich Albion)

Forwards:
    Shane Long (Southampton), Daryl Murphy (Nottingham Forest), David McGoldrick (Ipswich Town), Sean Maguire (Preston North End), Scott Hogan (Aston Villa), Aiden O'Brien (Millwall)

The Irish u16s side drew 2-2 with Wales yesterday in the victory shield, Arsenals Armstrong Oko-Flex scored an injury time equaliser to keep the u16s unbeaten after the opening two games.

They play Scotland tomorrow at 1pm, a win against Scotland will see the lads retain the victory shield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »
    Where's the guy we were on about earlier that played for West Ham last night? I thought he'd be in a provisional one or is he with the u21's?

Irish u21s are away to Norway on the same day as the home game against Denmark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Provisional squad named today. Any reason why Ireland name such a large provisional squad, seems like a waste of time to me imo.

Goalkeepers:
    Darren Randolph (Middlesbrough), Keiren Westwood (Sheffield Wednesday), Rob Elliot (Newcastle United), Colin Doyle (Bradford City)

Defenders:
    Cyrus Christie (Middlesbrough), Matt Doherty (Wolverhampton Wanderers), Paul McShane (Reading), Richard Keogh (Derby County), Shane Duffy (Brighton & Hove Albion), Ciaran Clark (Newcastle United), John O'Shea (Sunderland), Kevin Long, Stephen Ward (Burnley)

Midfielders:
    Aiden McGeady (Sunderland), Daryl Horgan, Alan Browne (Preston North End), Glenn Whelan, Conor Hourihane (Aston Villa), Harry Arter (Bournemouth), James McCarthy (Everton), Robbie Brady, Jeff Hendrick (Burnley), Eunan O'Kane (Leeds United), David Meyler (Hull City), Wes Hoolahan (Norwich City), Callum O'Dowda (Bristol City), Jonny Hayes (Celtic), James McClean (West Bromwich Albion)

Forwards:
    Shane Long (Southampton), Daryl Murphy (Nottingham Forest), David McGoldrick (Ipswich Town), Sean Maguire (Preston North End), Scott Hogan (Aston Villa), Aiden O'Brien (Millwall)

Presuming everyone stays fit I'd say MON will cut it down to the above 23, chances are there will be an injury or two however.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Goalkeepers:

Defenders:

Midfielders:

Forwards:

Presuming everyone stays fit I'd say MON will cut it down to the above 23, chances are there will be an injury or two however.

Be surprised and tbh disappointed not to see Hogan selected
    Has Keogh been in the last few squads :confused: if so i missed him completely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭stephenl15

The Irish u16s side drew 2-2 with Wales yesterday in the victory shield, Arsenals Armstrong Oko-Flex scored an injury time equaliser to keep the u16s unbeaten after the opening two games.

They play Scotland tomorrow at 1pm, a win against Scotland will see the lads retain the victory shield.

I had to Google that for verification. What. A. Name. :D

Armstrong Oko-Flex

Arsenal player?

Sounds like Alex Oxlade Chamberlain just rearranged the letters in his name.l.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Redo91

Republic of Ireland Squad

Goalkeepers:

Defenders:

Midfielders:

Forwards:

Jesus the size of that squad. Even I'm a bit disappointed to miss out!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

^^^^^^

It does give ya the feeling that there might still be a chance !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

On the funny side I just seen Celtic won Fifa fans of the year for 2017,
    It was only yesterday morning that they where fined for the 12th time in 6 season's over fan behaviour  by UEFA , 
    So how in the world did they win that,
    because the are the best fans ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

stephenl15 wrote: »

I don't think he'll be playing for us, he played for England Under 15 a few weeks later, He's suppose to be one of the best young talents in the whole of England at the moment,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

stephenl15 wrote: »

I don't think he'll be playing for us, he played for England Under 15 a few weeks later, He's suppose to be one of the best young talents in the whole of England at the moment,
    Sorry I meant before, seems he's playing for both at the minute

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭mada82

Sorry I meant before, seems he's playing for both at the minute

Fai should ask him who he sees his future with. No point in him taking someone else’s place if he sees his future with england.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

FFS, he plays U-15 and U-16 so I'm guessing he's 14 or 15. It's way too early to be putting someone that age under pressure to declare.

FFS, he plays U-15 and U-16 so I'm guessing he's 14 or 15. It's way too early to be putting someone that age under pressure to declare.

15, won't be 16 until March. Cap him next year, problem solved :D

15, won't be 16 until March. Cap him next year, problem solved :D
    Wales have been going part of the way there .

blinding wrote: »

Get them while they're young I saw. The way things are going it's gonna be us and Nigeria fighting over young Irish players as the years go on instead of us and England.

Ireland u16s retain the victory shield after a 2-0 win over Scotland.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭mada82

It’s a simple question to ask him. Who do you see yourself playing senior international football with?

If he’s unsure then play a player who is sure and give him the experience.

Tell him there’s a place waiting for him if he sees his future with us

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

blinding wrote: »

If Grealish had been Welsh he would have been capped at 17, i see no problem with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

mada82 wrote: »
    It’s a simple question to ask him. Who do you see yourself playing senior international football with?

If he’s unsure then play a player who is sure and give him the experience.

Tell him there’s a place waiting for him if he sees his future with us

But he can give a simple answer to that: yes I see myself here - and still go on to switch.

A player isn't going to spell out his doubts if he knows by doing so it would harm his chances of playing.

Interview that was done with the Irish Times looking at the many Irish athletes with African roots.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/sport/new-irish-busy-making-their-sporting-mark-1.3178485%3fmode=amp

Armstrong Okoflex, who moved to the UK a few years ago to play with Arsenal, also feels a strong connection to his Irish home. Okoflex has played under-15 international soccer for both Ireland and England.

“Ireland is where I’m from but England is financially better and the grounds are amazing. I enjoy playing with both but obviously I’m Irish so I feel the connection with them.”

The son of Nigerian parents who moved to Ireland more than two decades ago, Okoflex says diversity is a vital component of building a successful soccer team. “Nigerian players born in Dublin should be given more opportunities to play with Ireland if they’re good enough. Diversity is very important in football. The best nations have a mixture, not just white or black players. This is what Ireland can improve on.”

If he ends up playing for Ireland brilliant because he's highly rated but who can blame him for taken advantage of the fact its easy to switch between teams at a young age. The more football you play the better and I'm sure each team plays in different tournaments, so the more games he picks up the better for him. Wouldn't be surpised to see him come up through the English youth teams seeing how well they are playomg at the moment before making the switch back depending on his chances at senior level.

Mccarthy injured in training. Won't be available for Ireland games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

eh i dunno wrote: »

Amazing how injury prone he is coming up to Ireland games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,939 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Feel McCarthy will retire from International soccer soon, sad to see him injured so much

2 weeks til the 1st leg ðŸ˜ðŸ˜

Amazing how injury prone he is coming up to Ireland games.

He's only played once for Everton this season. That would be the team that pays him about 75k a week. Could be out for months again

The Lads actual career must be coming under pressure at this stage .

I don’t think its the time for snide comments .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Feel McCarthy will retire from International soccer soon, sad to see him injured so much

2 weeks til the 1st leg Ÿ˜

Relax there FFS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Armstrong Okoflex.

That is the greatest name I have ever seen, read or heard of.

Billy86 wrote: »

It is pretty good alright, it sounds like a brand.

Introducing the new Armstrong Okoflex flooring range, flexible for YOUR comfort...

Armstrong-American-Scrape-HFOT-LOGO-1024x804.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Billy86 wrote: »

One of my favs is Max Cream who played for Shels I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

Jeez his full names a mouthful, Armstrong Echezolachukwu Inya Oko-Flex, out of interest how is he eligible for England? Nigerian parents, Irish born, other than living in England where does it come in?

D14Rugby wrote: »
    Jeez his full names a mouthful, Armstrong Echezolachukwu Inya Oko-Flex, out of interest how is he eligible for England? Nigerian parents, Irish born, other than living in England where does it come in?

Living in England, he's family moved over when he was young to play with Arsenal so qualifies through residency I presume.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Interview that was done with the Irish Times looking at the many Irish athletes with African roots.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/sport/new-irish-busy-making-their-sporting-mark-1.3178485%3fmode=amp

Armstrong Okoflex, who moved to the UK a few years ago to play with Arsenal, also feels a strong connection to his Irish home. Okoflex has played under-15 international soccer for both Ireland and England.

“Ireland is where I’m from but England is financially better and the grounds are amazing. I enjoy playing with both but obviously I’m Irish so I feel the connection with them.”

The son of Nigerian parents who moved to Ireland more than two decades ago, Okoflex says diversity is a vital component of building a successful soccer team. “Nigerian players born in Dublin should be given more opportunities to play with Ireland if they’re good enough. Diversity is very important in football. The best nations have a mixture, not just white or black players. This is what Ireland can improve on.”

If he ends up playing for Ireland brilliant because he's highly rated but who can blame him for taken advantage of the fact its easy to switch between teams at a young age. The more football you play the better and I'm sure each team plays in different tournaments, so the more games he picks up the better for him. Wouldn't be surpised to see him come up through the English youth teams seeing how well they are playomg at the moment before making the switch back depending on his chances at senior level.
    Is this guy saying that Nigerian born footballers don't get opportunities to play soccer in Ireland the same as anyone else?

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Have you a link to this news?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭markc91

Maguire just scored again for Preston!

https://royalbluemersey.sbnation.com/2017/10/28/16563590/james-mccarthy-hamstring-injury-out-months-not-weeks-everton-training-news-latest-issue

This is all I can find on it. I'll wait till it's properly confirmed.

Posters on here should make a better effort to back up comments they make in my view.

TheCitizen wrote: »
    https://royalbluemersey.sbnation.com/2017/10/28/16563590/james-mccarthy-hamstring-injury-out-months-not-weeks-everton-training-news-latest-issue

This is all I can find on it. I'll wait till it's properly confirmed.

Posters on here should make a better effort to back up comments they make in my view.

I'm not a news outlet. Was only posting as I follow on an Everton page on Twitter and thought it would be of interest here.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement