Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

eh i dunno wrote: »
    I'm not a news outlet. Was only posting as I follow on an Everton page on Twitter and thought it would be of interest here.
    You can link the info. Also the report is unconfirmed as yet, you could mention that as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

markc91 wrote: »
    Maguire just scored again for Preston!

https://mobile.twitter.com/_/status/924287072499888129

Video quality isnt great. O'Dowda played the full 90mins for Bristol assisting both goals in a 2-1 win over Sunderland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

https://mobile.twitter.com/_/status/924287072499888129

Video quality isnt great. O'Dowda played the full 90mins for Bristol assisting both goals in a 2-1 win over Sunderland.
    Well. He’s ( Maguire ) fit and scoring .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »
    Excellent goal.

Has been playing really well for Preston. In the 12 league games he's played he's been involved in 7 league goals ( scored 4, assisted 3) and is playing most of his football out wide (RW:6, CF:4, LW:2).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Interview that was done with the Irish Times looking at the many Irish athletes with African roots.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/sport/new-irish-busy-making-their-sporting-mark-1.3178485%3fmode=amp

Armstrong Okoflex, who moved to the UK a few years ago to play with Arsenal, also feels a strong connection to his Irish home. Okoflex has played under-15 international soccer for both Ireland and England.

“Ireland is where I’m from but England is financially better and the grounds are amazing. I enjoy playing with both but obviously I’m Irish so I feel the connection with them.”

The son of Nigerian parents who moved to Ireland more than two decades ago, Okoflex says diversity is a vital component of building a successful soccer team. “Nigerian players born in Dublin should be given more opportunities to play with Ireland if they’re good enough. Diversity is very important in football. The best nations have a mixture, not just white or black players. This is what Ireland can improve on.”

If he ends up playing for Ireland brilliant because he's highly rated but who can blame him for taken advantage of the fact its easy to switch between teams at a young age. The more football you play the better and I'm sure each team plays in different tournaments, so the more games he picks up the better for him. Wouldn't be surpised to see him come up through the English youth teams seeing how well they are playomg at the moment before making the switch back depending on his chances at senior level.
    Is this guy saying that Nigerian born footballers don't get opportunities to play soccer in Ireland the same as anyone else?

From reading that it seems to be, and it surprises me a bit to be honest

From reading that it seems to be, and it surprises me a bit to be honest

Unless he's talking about the senior team because in the 20 man squad for the victory shield you had Mazeed Ogbungo, Tega Agberhiere, Festy Ebosele, Armstrong Okoflex, Mipo Odupeko.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Have players who have snubbed Ireland for England in recent years made it with the England team?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Have players who have snubbed Ireland for England in recent years made it with the England team?

Harry Kane
    Michael Keane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

Eathrin wrote: »
    Harry Kane
    Michael Keane
    Kane hardly snubbed us. Don't think he ever even considered playing for anyone but England.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

Living in England, he's family moved over when he was young to play with Arsenal so qualifies through residency I presume.

Sure he can't have been over there that long can he? Youve to be in a country something mad like 7 years to be eligible for them in football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I believe it's 5 years of residency to become naturalised as a full English citizen.

D14Rugby wrote: »
    Sure he can't have been over there that long can he? Youve to be in a country something mad like 7 years to be eligible for them in football

He's been at Arsenal since he was 10 or 11, so has been there a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Eathrin wrote: »
    Harry Kane
    Michael Keane

Harry Kane?! You're having a laugh :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,794 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

fullstop wrote: »
    There were definite noises about us getting Kane prior to his breakthrough season.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2992149/Harry-Kane-considered-playing-Ireland-breakthrough-season-propelled-brink-England-says-Martin-O-Neill.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

I dont see why it wouldnt have been a option, he has close family in the west of Galway
    He sends Spurs gear to his cousins involved in local football for raffles for the teams there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

irishman86 wrote: »
    I dont see why it wouldnt have been a option, he has close family in the west of Galway
    He sends Spurs gear to his cousins involved in local football for raffles for the teams there

But he didn't play for us underage, did he? I mean the likes of Keane, Grealish etc. played for us underage and then switched. They're the kind I'd count as near misses, not someone who never showed any inclination to play for Ireland.

"I was talking to somebody about this last night and we were just saying that Harry himself always wanted to play for England. Really, it was as simple as that"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Basically just a case of agent covering all bases. Who knows, he may even have had a granny from Wales and he contacted them on the off chance.

This happens in international football. People need to get a grip with that, it isn't always a case of this overwhelming national pride, especially for a team like Ireland where we "claim" many English born players over the decades. It is, for some players, the opportunity to play internationally which may be limited by lack of opportunity to play for a country like England.

There is no doubt that Kane would have wanted to play for England growing up, I would lay my house on that, but if he didn't have such a meteoric rise in ability and wasn;t capped so early, his agent would be sniffing around, sometimes maybe even unbeknownst to him somewhat to explore all possible opportunities to get him playing at international level which will boost his profile as a player and that is the agents job. .........££££££££££

Obviously Kane isn't going to come out with a "I want to play for england, but i'll settle for Ireland" but people need to realise this does happen.

And, if it works out mutually for both the player and the country, I don't think we can really get into a hu ha about it, especially considering the wealth of talent we acquired over the past decades in this respect.

Scott Hogan is our most recent example and, if it works out for us, and he enjoys playing at the level, personally I have no issue.

It is all hindsight with Kane and based on a parallel universe when he didn't become the Harry Kane we know as a player that you can even consider the prospect of it being a "near miss" because it wasn't and never was going to be as you can't change the past.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Harry Kane has said he always wanted to play for England. So aside from old clickbait articles trying to claim he was Irish he was actually only ever as likely to play for Ireland as Leo Messi.

Michael Keane after a few Irish underage caps switched to England when he was 19 as he wanted to go to an Underage tournament with them. Did people really expect Dunne/O'Shea to be dropped in a competitive match so this kid from United can be tied to Ireland in case he comes good in 4 - 5 years?

Should we be playing O'Hara, Armstrong-Oxfale, Grego-Cox in the upcoming play-offs just in case they come good? I mean just to stop England claiming them, they may actually be the next Joe O'Cearuill but who knows!
    I can imagine the reaction if that happened :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

eh i dunno wrote: »
    I'm not a news outlet. Was only posting as I follow on an Everton page on Twitter and thought it would be of interest here.

On Rte now, hamstring injury apparently which if correct will rule him out of the playoffs.

On Rte now, hamstring injury apparently which if correct will rule him out of the playoffs.

Hopefully if there's any truth to it that it's only a precaution to not name him in today's squad, missed a lot of last season with a hamstring injury.

Also noticed Daryl Murphy wasn't named in the Forest match day squad for their game against Hull yesterday. Anyone heard anything about whether he's picked up an knock or what, seems strange to just drop your top goal scorer out of the match day squad.

But he didn't play for us underage, did he? I mean the likes of Keane, Grealish etc. played for us underage and then switched. They're the kind I'd count as near misses, not someone who never showed any inclination to play for Ireland.

"I was talking to somebody about this last night and we were just saying that Harry himself always wanted to play for England. Really, it was as simple as that"

I dont disagree with you buddy
    I'm merely saying it was off course a possibility as he has immediate family from here
    I dont see him being similar to Noble/Nolan if England hadnt capped him he would have eventually played for us
    But like you said hes not a loss as we never had him

pjohnson wrote: »
    Harry Kane has said he always wanted to play for England. So aside from old clickbait articles trying to claim he was Irish he was actually only ever as likely to play for Ireland as Leo Messi.

Michael Keane after a few Irish underage caps switched to England when he was 19 as he wanted to go to an Underage tournament with them. Did people really expect Dunne/O'Shea to be dropped in a competitive match so this kid from United can be tied to Ireland in case he comes good in 4 - 5 years?

Should we be playing O'Hara, Armstrong-Oxfale, Grego-Cox in the upcoming play-offs just in case they come good? I mean just to stop England claiming them, they may actually be the next Joe O'Cearuill but who knows!
    I can imagine the reaction if that happened :pac:

I would see no problem playing them against bottom seeds

• Advertisement

I would see no problem playing them against bottom seeds

And you'd have no problem if they make a mistake costing us the match?

Worked for a few Welsh lads
    They have a Liverpool and Chelsea wonderkid in the squad

No i wouldnt as in the long run it would make the squad stronger having young lads in the senior set up earlier

If you're losing a match against a bottom seed then an 18 or 19 yr old making a mistake is the least of your worries.

• Advertisement

No i wouldnt as in the long run it would make the squad stronger having young lads in the senior set up earlier

So sacrifice the present for the future. Joe O'Cearuill was great after Stan gave him his chance. Stephen Gleeson, Darren Potter (then of Liverpool) etc. Joe Lapira. How many of that south american trip actually came good?

If you're losing a match against a bottom seed then an 18 or 19 yr old making a mistake is the least of your worries.

Armstrong-Oxfale isn't even 18 or 19 but he could be stolen for England. We better get them capped at 16/17. Just in case they are good in the future.

Armstrong-Oxfale isn't even 18 or 19 but he could be stolen for England. We better get them capped at 16/17. Just in case they are good in the future.

And Grego-Cox and O'Hara are 20/21.

So sacrifice the present for the future. Joe O'Cearuill was great after Stan gave him his chance. Stephen Gleeson, Darren Potter (then of Liverpool) etc. Joe Lapira. How many of that south american trip actually came good?

Ok so never change, got ya :rolleyes:

Ok so never change, got ya :rolleyes:

No. Always change. Trap as many youngsters as possible in case they become good eventually :pac:

No. Always change. Trap as many youngsters as possible in case they become good eventually :pac:

Thats still a better plan than sticking with players like John O'Shea/Whelan or even Keane 4 years past there best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Good to see Jeff on the scoreboard tonight. With so few goals in our international side we need someone like him to chip in with more than he has done for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Good to see Jeff on the scoreboard tonight. With so few goals in our international side we need someone like him to chip in with more than he has done for us.

1 goal in 35 for us and 6 in over 100 the last few seasons at club level..........so bar a few wild out of range shots that "look close", you are never going to see him chipping in with goals.
    That is why people that call out someone like McClean for other facets in his game, some vigorously so, need to recognise how pivotal he has been for us.

cue Jeff Hendrick winner in Copenhagen! (if ever I would be happy to eat my words.......!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

1 goal in 35 for us and 6 in over 100 the last few seasons at club level..........so bar a few wild out of range shots that "look close", you are never going to see him chipping in with goals.
    That is why people that call out someone like McClean for other facets in his game, some vigorously so, need to recognise how pivotal he has been for us.

cue Jeff Hendrick winner in Copenhagen! (if ever I would be happy to eat my words.......!)

Jeff has the slightly better goals to game ratio in his time in England than James has, and he usually plays a lot deeper than James does. So he really ought to have bagged a few more for us. With no recognized striker of note coming through at a decent level, the onus will be on him, Robbie and Mcclean to all contribute in this regard if we're going to have a half decent future.

McClean(thankfully for us) just seems to be inspired to play for us and raises his performance level and consistency beyond anything he's shown club level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Video here of the Irish lad Ryan Nolan with Inter Milan doing keepy uppys with the rest of the youth (primavera) team.

https://twitter.com/seriea_tim/status/923581478801420289

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Rekop dog wrote: »

Wasn't exactly a worldy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Nalz wrote: »
    Wasn't exactly a worldy!

No, but he controlled a drilled cross really well and put away a bouncing ball nicely too. Very easy to get under that.
    He is a talent, but since the Euros he has been really poor for us. Games just pass him by, he needs to step it up at this stage.
    I rate him and would start him, but hope he can put in a performance like he did v Sweden.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Has another tonight

Daryl Murphy missed tonight's game as well for Forest, carrying slight hamstring injury. Warburton said after the weekends game that he'd hope to have him back for tonight's game. Lets just hope they're giving him an extra couple more days rest before Saturdays game against QPR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

5 Irish lads start, Boyle, Browne & Maguire for Preston, Whelan & Hourihane for Villa
    Horgan & O'Connor subs for Preston, Hogan sub for Villa.

Reckon O'Neill or Keane will be there tonight for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

In happier news Stephen Ireland is having to sell his 4 million super house #petty

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5046439/Stephen-Ireland-s-mansion-goes-sale-3-95m.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

O Dowda again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement