Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Sin City wrote: »
    I doubt he would have played against the Danes anyway
    Hes for the next campaign

I was more acknowledging the actual injury and setback for him personally as he was progressing very well at club level , rather than the effect of the injury on our playoff chances, but any injury to a squad member, especially in an area we are struggling, ie scoring, merits a disdained reaction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Any update on Walters or Long?
    Also Murphy had been injured recently, and of course we haven't an abundance of forwards to begin with.

Maguire would have had a reasonable chance of game time v the Danes, I would have thought.
    Very disappointing news for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Massive blow for Sean Maguire, he has hit the ground running in England and deservedly was in with a chance of seeing some game time in the playoffs. Hopefully he recovers well and can pick up where he left off for Preston.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Daryl Murphy starts for Forest today.

Richard Keogh came off injured for Derby today after 8 mins, could be him out of the squad for the playoffs too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Every time I see a new post in this thread I fear the worst. Some new injury to an Irish player.
    I'm going to give the thread a miss for awhile to try and change things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

I see Rafa has stopped playing Clark of late which is certainly bad for us.

Luckily Duffy continues to be one of the standout centre backs in England this season though.

Richard Keogh came off injured for Derby today after 8 mins, could be him out of the squad for the playoffs too.

That's a blow, wasn't gonna start but would be cover for both RB and CB. Might just see Matt Doherty make the squad now as cover for Christie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Massive blow for Sean Maguire, he has hit the ground running in England and deservedly was in with a chance of seeing some game time in the playoffs. Hopefully he recovers well and can pick up where he left off for Preston.

He was obviously rushed back from that initial injury too quickly by the Preston manager who will now probably suffer the consequences.

O'Dowda scored another cracker today -- man in form.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Huddersfield town supporters gifted James Mclean with a free bottle of Fanta today, great bunch of lads. I wonder will MOTD mention the incident.

Probably not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Huddersfield town supporters gifted James Mclean with a free bottle of Fanta today, great bunch of lads. I wonder will MOTD mention the incident.

Probably not.

Why would they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

noodler wrote: »
    Why would they?

Fanta don't sponsor the PL?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

I'm guessing Fanta = orange. Orange order etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »
    Why would they? Are you even serious?

As serious as I can be with an off the cuff question.

MOTD don't report on every silly thing fans do.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

As serious as I can be with an off the cuff question.

MOTD don't report on every silly thing fans do.
    McClean gets booed all season long because of the annual poppy fest. The BBC did do a piece with McClean on Football Focus a while back which addressed the nonsense of poppy fascism, but unfortunately the Beeb and all other media outlets in Britain kowtow to the annual poppy fest by buying into it for 4 or 5 weeks on end every year.

It would be no harm if it was highlighted and questioned why it's acceptable for football fans the length and breadth of England to boo a player simply because he doesn't want to wear a poppy.

It's poor stuff from the British year after year, ott jingoism. If it was just for one day in the year the fascistic and coercive nature of it would be less forceful and the broadcasting media outlets have allowed themselves to be used as conduits of that jingoism.

TheCitizen wrote: »
    McClean gets booed all season long because of the annual poppy fest. The BBC did do a piece with McClean on Football Focus a while back which addressed the nonsense of poppy fascism, but unfortunately the Beeb and all other media outlets in Britain kowtow to the annual poppy fest by buying into it for 4 or 5 weeks on end every year.

It would be no harm if it was highlighted and questioned why it's acceptable for football fans the length and breadth of England to boo a player simply because he doesn't want to wear a poppy.

It's poor stuff from the British year after year, ott jingoism. If it was just for one day in the year the fascistic and coercive nature of it would be less forceful and the broadcasting media outlets have allowed themselves to be used as conduits of that jingoism.

Strikes me as a bit precious.

Why not an investigation into the constant abuse players get every week opposition grounds for being black, gay, fat etc etc.

Strikes me as a bit precious.

Why not an investigation into the constant abuse players get every week opposition grounds for being black, gay, fat etc etc.
    Constant abuse of being black is surely (largely) a thing of the past, and that's because it has been made unacceptable for fans to indulge in firing abuse at someone simply because they are black. I think it is mentioned if players get abused for being black or gay etc. Not sure what your point is there?

Constant abuse of being black is surely (largely) a thing of the past, and that's because it has been made unacceptable for fans to indulge in firing abuse at someone simply because they are black. I think it is mentioned if players get abused for being black or gay etc. Not sure what your point is there?

What my point is??

You opened the can of worms, just scroll up one.

Bizarre.

• Advertisement

What my point is??

You opened the can of worms, just scroll up one.

Bizarre.
    You're point was;
    "Why not an investigation into the constant abuse players get every week opposition grounds for being black, gay, fat etc etc."

I think those issues are addressed regularly. I think fans firing abuse at black players for being black in particular has more or less been eradicated in Britain and that's because it has made unacceptable and the media in Britain have played their part in that. So I don't know why you're bringing up fans abusing black players in this instance of McClean getting abuse because he doesn't wear a poppy?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

The Brits go a bit Poppy Facist there for a few weeks . The way they carry on is a good warning about their past .

You're point was;
    "Why not an investigation into the constant abuse players get every week opposition grounds for being black, gay, fat etc etc."

I think those issues are addressed regularly. I think fans firing abuse at black players for being black in particular has more or less been eradicated in Britain and that's because it has made unacceptable and the media in Britain have played their part in that. So I don't know why you're bringing up fans abusing black players in this instance of McClean getting abuse because he doesn't wear a poppy?

God, you will twist anything.

I said black, gay, fat etc yet who focus on black alone.

Every week, players are subjected to abuse in away grounds. The scummier fans will latch onto literally anything (including anything that is public knowledge about the players history, giggs affair, terry affair, Rooney riding grannies).

Think of the sectarian abuse at Celtic park and Ibrox? It happens every week.

Now, thus morning McClean has claimed coins and other missiles were aimed at him which is altogether different. I absolutely think this could have been highlighted.

You're point was;

Every week, players are subjected to abuse in away grounds. The scummier fans will latch onto literally anything (including anything that is public knowledge about the players history, giggs affair, terry affair, Rooney riding grannies).

Now, thus morning McClean has claimed coins and other missiles were aimed at him which is altogether different. I absolutely think this could have been highlighted.

Wasn't that what the OP was on about when he mentioned the fanta bottle though!!!! So, eh!

Wasn't that what the OP was on about when he mentioned the fanta bottle though!!!! So, eh!

No, but there has been about 10 post since then.

Not too difficult to follow.

One poster argued for a special investigation into the abuse James McClean gets for not wearing a poppy.

I haven't twisted anything. There was mention of James Clean getting abused again for not wearing a poppy and this time a bottle of fanta thrown at him was referred to and you start off saying people bringing it up and asking why the media aren't mentioning it are being "precious", because footballers get abused for all sorts of other things every week. Good to see you disapprove of coins and other objects being thrown at him.

Why should he get abused for not wearing a poppy at all, verbal or otherwise is what I would ask. It's not acceptable, but it continues because people including in the media just ignore it. Says a lot about the annual poppy fest and the bullying, fascistic nature of it.

One poster argued for a special investigation into the abuse James McClean gets for not wearing a poppy.
    Who mentioned a special investigation, other than yourself that is?

Hard to believe it's only 6 days now.

Apart from adverts.ie, is there any private ticket selling forum/blog/Facebook site where you could pick up a ticket. There is a few on adverts but because it's a face value condition, its near impossibleto get one, given the amount of bidders.

DM me if you have recommendations.

I'd say a few are selling owing to the rail strike now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,939 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Hard to believe it's only 6 days now.

Apart from adverts.ie, is there any private ticket selling forum/blog/Facebook site where you could pick up a ticket. There is a few on adverts but because it's a face value condition, its near impossibleto get one, given the amount of bidders.

DM me if you have recommendations.

I'd say a few are selling owing to the rail strike now

Check out Toutless

https://www.toutless.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=29164

Only allowed sell tickets at face value or lower. U have to sign up for an account and do business through PM

I am on about your initial reply clearly where you indicated that attention shouldn't have been brought to it.

"Huddersfield town supporters gifted James Mclean with a free bottle of Fanta today, great bunch of lads. I wonder will MOTD mention the incident.

Probably not."

Your reply to that: "why would they"

You have now replied: "Now, thus morning McClean has claimed coins and other missiles were aimed at him which is altogether different. I absolutely think this could have been highlighted"

I am just pointing out that was what the point was initially! IE Missiles being thrown at McClean.

As McClean said on instagram last night, the only thing they highlighted last night and it was very much highlighted was the tackle (not defending the tackle, but I think they should continue to damn supporters for this behaviour)

Patww79 wrote: »
    They're too afraid of the poppy fascists to highlight it.
    They'd get Twitter abuse if they condemned fans for abusing someone simply because he chooses not to wear a poppy.

There's a cowardice on show every November in Britain. It's hard to blame people who want to appear on TV or wanting to play football in Britain for wearing it even if they don't want to, but if fans are openly abusing someone for not wearing one that should be roundly and repeatedly condemned by those in the media and elsewhere.

I am on about your initial reply clearly where you indicated that attention shouldn't have been brought to it.

"Huddersfield town supporters gifted James Mclean with a free bottle of Fanta today, great bunch of lads. I wonder will MOTD mention the incident.

Probably not."

Your reply to that: "why would they"

You have now replied: "Now, thus morning McClean has claimed coins and other missiles were aimed at him which is altogether different. I absolutely think this could have been highlighted"

I am just pointing out that was what the point was initially! IE Missiles being thrown at McClean.

As McClean said on instagram last night, the only thing they highlighted last night and it was very much highlighted was the tackle (not defending the tackle, but I think they should continue to damn supporters for this behaviour)

There's alot there but in order:

Why indeed would MOTD bring special attention to poppy abuse at McClean when they don't for chants at any other player? Massive stretch from you to argue I want it swept under the rug,merely that MOTD wouldn't be going out of their way to cover one particular instance of abuse.

I didn't see anything about missiles until this morning on independent.ie. That is not the context under which I posted last night and that is why I made that clear in this morning's post.

The tackle is a complete red herring here, it's part of the actual on field action, hardly not going to be covered especially when his yellows are usually for late challenges rather than an accumulation of fouls or cynical play.

But he mentioned the missiles! ! That was the whole point of the post!

Maybe you misinterpreted what he initially said. Don't want to get into an off topic riff raff! I just found it funny how quickly you changed your opinion re the coverage of the missiles (such as the fanta bottle! )

Let's move on!!

• Advertisement

But he mentioned the missiles! ! That was the whole point of the post!

Maybe you misinterpreted what he initially said. Don't want to get into an off topic riff raff! I just found it funny how quickly you changed your opinion re the coverage of the missiles (such as the fanta bottle! )

Let's move on!!

I absolutely did.

I did not realise a Fanta bottle had been thrown at him.

So weekends club football is over, and we are back to the important stuff! Looks like we got through that weekend relatively unscathed, Sean Maguire injured for the next 3 months and Richard Keogh also came off injured but not sure how serious, both were unlikely to get much time on the pitch in either game. Likely to be the both of them, Walters, McCarthy all missing but a fairly full squad to choose from after that.

Denmark seem to have suffered a few injuries this weekend, Dalsgaard, Kjaer, Bjelland, Jorgensen all seem to have suffered injuries over the weekend so they could have a bit of a makeshift back line (although their replacements are arguably as good).

How do we think MON will line us up? Back five picks itself providing there are no injuries, AFAIK I think all of them are a booking away from missing the second leg so we will need our backups ready to step up. Would imagine he will start Whelan in the first leg then bring Meyler back for the second. Arter, Hendrick, McClean, Brady all likely to start? Question is then do we go for Murph or Long up front.

Murphy for me up front. More of a threat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Murphy for me up front. More of a threat.
    Absolutely.
    And fair play to Murphy too. Not too long ago people would have laughed at him being our biggest threat upfront, but he has really come good for us.
    Similar to Wardinho, shows great attitude to demonstrate show such improvement at this stage of their careers.

Long will probably start, I anticipate, with absence of Walters. He would have started against Wales also, MON more or less said that. And personally I see good merit for such.
    I can see both of them starting

But I think, at this stage, a thread solely for discussing Shane Long is almost necessary at this stage!!

Hmm, saying that, forgot about Arter.

Actually, it is hard to be sure!

If anyone needs a kick up the ars* and shouldn't be first on team sheet as everyone assumes he should be it is Hendrick!

• Advertisement

At least long has seen more game time in the lead up to this game than he had last time.

I can see Murphy on his own. Be a tough enough night for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭The Red Lad

MON loves Hendrick he’ll start think it will be the same team it was for the Wales game except for Whelan to come in for Meyler pending all stay fit of course! Long to come on for Murphy in the second half.

MON pulls a surprise sometimes. An away goal will be vital in this. I think he might start Hoolahan in the away leg or put him on on the hour mark.

MON loves Hendrick he’ll start think it will be the same team it was for the Wales game except for Whelan to come in for Meyler pending all stay fit of course! Long to come on for Murphy in the second half.

He loves Long also and what he brings so that has to be considered.

...Hendrick - Meyler - Brady

.....Long............McClean

........... Murphy.............

That will take a fair amount of pressure off Murphy as Long and Mcclean will do most of the running and covering and he can just hover about the Danish half

Long is too impatient and busy to do that job

If Southampton had a decent No. 9, Long would be much more valued. Just recently had a gawk at their fan fan forum as he has being playing serious amount of minutes of late and they do seem to think he has been offering a value to their team, despite the lack of goals

MON pulls a surprise sometimes. An away goal will be vital in this. I think he might start Hoolahan in the away leg or put him on on the hour mark.

Wouldn't surprise me that the surprise could be O'Dowda. 3 assists and a goal all from the right this past week, a position we are severely lacking in personnel. It's probably too much of an out of left field call.

I think the best bet with Hoolahan is the super sub role, get him on early in the second half of both games so we'll have someone whose confident and technically good with the ball at his feet when we are defending a 1-0 win.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

Long will probably start, I anticipate, with absence of Walters. He would have started against Wales also, MON more or less said that. And personally I see good merit for such.
    I can see both of them starting

But I think, at this stage, a thread solely for discussing Shane Long is almost necessary at this stage!!

Hmm, saying that, forgot about Arter.

Actually, it is hard to be sure!

If anyone needs a kick up the ars* and shouldn't be first on team sheet as everyone assumes he should be it is Hendrick!

If it wasn't for him we probably wouldn't have scored against the Welsh. He literally ran his socks off. I couldn't believe he was still going in the 90th min in Cardiff. Meyler is suspended for the first leg too btw.

PhilipsR wrote: »
    If it wasn't for him we probably wouldn't have scored against the Welsh. He literally ran his socks off. I couldn't believe he was still going in the 90th min in Cardiff. Meyler is suspended for the first leg too btw.

It was a great but of determination for the goal.

He has been pretty quiet in the previous games but that coupled with his winner for Burnley the other week will hopefully have him in a stronger position.

Important to be as tight as possible in the first half. What I wouldn't give for Erikson to have a bad day.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

The whole suspension thing is an absolute farce when you look at the players one game off a suspension for both sides.

We have 12 players one game away from suspension whilst Denmark have 10! It's bananas.

Players one off a suspension are here (I've counted players with 3 or 1 yellows so far):

http://www.uefa.com/european-qualifiers/season=2018/statistics/round=2000717/players/kind=disciplinary/index.html

My bad.

Hendrick has had a bang average campaign though. Deny it if you wish. And he definitely had a rough first half against the Welsh, very much passed by him. I think the assist has clouded a few issues with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

My bad.

Hendrick has had a bang average campaign though. Deny it if you wish.
    Everyone has bar McClean , bang average works a treat during International qualifying campaigns ,

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement