Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Everyone has bar McClean , bang average works a treat during International qualifying campaigns ,

Our CB's (whoever stood in), Randolph, McClean all had good consistent campaigns. Meyler when he was used didn't let us down. Ward also. Most of the other players like Long, Walters, Christie, Brady, Hendrick, even Hoolahan, when available were under par in general over the course of campaign.

Seriously, though...................... four bloody goalkeepers and only 8 defenders.

I wish someone would ask him why he does this. It is bordering on complete stupidity.

And Johnny Hayes omitted also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

sugarman wrote: »
    Absolutely bizarre and baffling to include 4 keepers, yet drop McGoldrick who along with Murphy is our most consistent goal scorer this season.

Neither Long or Hogan have scored since last March FFS!

Keogh, McCarthy, Maguire injured
    McGoldrick, Browne, Horgan, Hayes cut from the provisional list

4 keepers is madness for 2 games. But I really don't think any of those 4 would have gotten close to a minute regardless and he didn't cut any defenders

8-10 wrote: »
    Keogh, McCarthy, Maguire injured
    McGoldrick, Browne, Horgan, Hayes cut from the provisional list

4 keepers is madness for 2 games. But I really don't think any of those 4 would have gotten close to a minute regardless and he didn't cut any defenders

It is not that he didn't cut, he should have added an extra defender. Too many yellow cards in defence. 4 out of our usual back 5 (ie incl Randolph) on yellows

4 out of our usual back 5 (ie incl Randolph) on yellows

Good job he's a couple of spare keepers then!

:P

Nah I get your point, defensive depth looks weak alright! Hopefully we stay away from the yellows on Saturday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

It is not that he didn't cut, he should have added an extra defender. Too many yellow cards in defence. 4 out of our usual back 5 (ie incl Randolph) on yellows

Surprised Marc Wilson wasn't called up, covers multiple positions and has played nearly 600 minutes of league football this season.

Surprised Marc Wilson wasn't called up, covers multiple positions and has played nearly 600 minutes of league football this season.

At this stage, I am not surprised at decisions like this! Just irritated!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

At this stage, I am not surprised at decisions like this! Just irritated!

Because management have been such a failure right?

I really don't think the exclusion of a player who's featured sparingly for the championships worst team and leakiest defence is something to get overly irritated about. They've conceded lots in the games he's actually played.

If this annoys you you must be perpetually irritated by life.

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Because management have been such a failure right?

I really don't think the exclusion of a player who's featured sparingly for the championships worst team and leakiest defence is something to get overly irritated about. They've conceded lots in the games he's actually played.

If this annoys you you must be perpetually irritated by life.

Why do you have to be so provocative most of the time on these forums and looking for a silly argument!

I am not going to justify that stupid post with a proper response.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

It'll be some Irish debut for Matt Doherty if Christie picks up a yellow on Saturday night! No pressure there. He really should have been capped before now, even in some meaningless friendly.

Why do you have to be so provocative most of the time on these forums and looking for a silly argument!

I am not going to justify that stupid post.

The irony of reacting with passive aggressive provocation lol.

Your post had an unjustifiably critical tone to it when current management have been by and large a big success. "At this stage" would suggest they've been getting it wrong consistently when the truth is anything but.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Colin Doyle is so annoying. If we are bringing a 4th Keeper why not integrate Lawlor (actually playing senior football) or O'Hara (Under-21 keeper but only playing underage for United)

Rekop dog wrote: »
    The irony of reacting with passive aggressive provocation lol.

Your post had an unjustifiably critical tone to it when current management have been by and large a big success. "At this stage" would suggest they've been getting it wrong consistently when the truth is anything but.

I was clearly on about the goalkeeping situation.

I was irritated that he keeps including 4 keepers.

I was not surprised "at this stage" he keeps doing so.

We have a potentially problem area in defence for second leg if things go awry, yellow card wise so it, pretty much irritated me he didn't address this at the expense of one of FOUR keepers.

Hope that clarifies my initial post, thought it was pretty evident what it meant.

I don't see anything "unjustifiably critical" about acknowledging his continued decision to draft in 4 keepers. I thought most agreed on that, especially the situation we are in re potential bans in defence. Maybe not.

It isn't perpetually on my mind, but as an Irish fan approaching a 2 legged WC qualifier, yes it does irritate me. If this leads you to speculate that I be perpetually irritated by life, so be it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Four keepers in the squad is stupid in my opinion.
    No logic to it.
    Another defender should have been selected to travel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

By far the better and most consistent of the 2, bizarre that he hasnt been considering he can play on the right or left, neither of which we are gifted with players in.

And this season for Wolves has been playing on the right of midfield, another position in which we lack personnel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

pjohnson wrote: »
    Colin Doyle is so annoying. If we are bringing a 4th Keeper why not integrate Lawlor (actually playing senior football) or O'Hara (Under-21 keeper but only playing underage for United)

Doyle is also now going to miss his clubs game on Saturday, just to be 4th choice keeper with no hope of any game time. Bradford must be so annoyed too.

Denmark back line seems to be depleted by injuries for this first leg. Lot of pressure on Christensen now, but he looks a potential superstar so will probably thrive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Westwood is getting a scan tomorrow, hence why we have 4 keepers. It's not as if he chose a 4th keeper at the expense of at outfielder, it is a 27 man squad he has narrowed it down to, I think we can name a squad of 23 on the day? Biggest surprise for me is O'Brien in over McGoldrick, admittedly don't know much about O'Brien but McGoldrick has always seemed to be in and around the squad and has a few goals this season. Neither would have seen game time but it's just more of a sign that McGoldrick is down the pecking order.

Doherty deserves his place in the squad. Biggest worry for me is the amount of players we have on bookings, we are guaranteed for one or two to be suspended for the second leg. If we lined up the same way as we did vs Wales (with Whelan for Meyler) that would mean 9 of our starting 11 would be a booking away from missing the return leg. Hendrick and Brady would be the only safe men.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

The bookings really should be cleared for the playoffs. Let all teams go in with a clean slate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

I’d much prefer Hourihane over O’Kane. Think he’s a great player.

Would make sense to have Lawlor/O’Hara be 3rd/4th choice keeper also. Other than that bit of nitpicking I have no complaints.

Matt Doherty is twice the player Christie is if you ask me, but I understand it would be a bit nuts to throw him in above Christie for his debut in a World Cup play off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,939 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

God the nerves

We really need to get to Russia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Is it my imagination or do we have someone suspended for this game?

Is it my imagination or do we have someone suspended for this game?

Meyler

There is a full list of both teams yellow card tightrope list.

http://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer/soccer-news/ireland-walking-suspension-tightrope-taking-11359702

our whole back 5!!

Have a feeling we won't have Arter,Clark and Mcclean for the 2nd leg

Players one card away from suspension
    For Ireland:
    Goalkeeper:
    Darren Randolph (Wales - a)

Defenders:
    Cyrus Christie (Austria - h)
    Ciaran Clark (Wales - a)
    Shane Duffy (Austria - a)
    Stephen Ward (Serbia - a)

Midfielders:
    Aiden McGeady (Wales - h)
    Glenn Whelan (Serbia - a)
    Harry Artur (Moldova - h)
    James McClean (Wales - a)

Forwards:
    Daryl Murphy (Wales - a)

Denmark:
    Goalkeeper:
    Kasper Schmeichel (Poland - a)

Defenders:
    Simon Kjaer (Romania - h)**
    Peter Ankersen (Romania - a)

Midfielders:
    Christian Eriksen (Poland - a)
    Thomas Delaney (Montenegro - h)

Forwards:
    Andreas Cornelius (Armenia - a)
    Viktor Fischer (Montenegro - h)
    Yussuf Poulsen (Montenegro - h)
    Nicolai Jorgensen (Kazakhstan - h)**

Have no idea how someone as talented as Kasper Dolberg doesn't get into their squad. I'm not complaining, but I'd rate him above Fischer for impact off the bench.

Still might get in if Jorgensen pulls out I guess but he was one I was expecting to see

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Have a feeling we won't have Arter,Clark

Arter C. Clark...

Wow, only just saw that Sean St. Ledger played his first game in 2 years at the weekend for Solihull .Was one of our main stay defenders under Trap.
    Awful injury problems, told he had to retire at one stage.

He had about 4 good years for us .Between transfers not working out and injuries he was more or less finished at 30.Pity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Denmark's injury scares seem ok

Near full strength team.

Was more to do with his attitude and lifestyle choices than transfers "Not working out" ...If only he cared as much as he did going out on the rip at any/every chance.

Has spent more time partying with Taylor Swift than on the pitch for a few years at this stage!

Yeah, Boro and Leicester fans were happy when he was let go due to his attitude and off pitch lifestyle. Orlando City dropped him also I recall when he arrived back late after being out on the p*ss.

Then the injuries happened

Pity.

Denmark's injury scares seem ok

Near full strength team.

balls

they will win 2-0 on Sat watch :(:(:(:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

PTH2009 wrote: »
    balls

they will win 2-0 on Sat watch :(:(:(:(

Doubt itll be that score

Both teams will want to keep it tight so mabe a 1-0 or 1-1 would be likely and we are great away from home

Im more worried about the home leg with extra time knowing of they score well be screwed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Was Kyle Naughton ever asked about playing for us. As far as I know he's eligible, only 28 and still playing at a decent level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

I’d much prefer Hourihane over O’Kane. Think he’s a great player.

Would make sense to have Lawlor/O’Hara be 3rd/4th choice keeper also. Other than that bit of nitpicking I have no complaints.

Matt Doherty is twice the player Christie is if you ask me, but I understand it would be a bit nuts to throw him in above Christie for his debut in a World Cup play off.

If Christie picks up a yellow on Saturday he may well be playing in the second leg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,304 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Was Kyle Naughton ever asked about playing for us. As far as I know he's eligible, only 28 and still playing at a decent level.

As far as I remember, Trapattoni had inquired about him but the answer was he had no interest in playing for Ireland which is fair enough, he's English.

Playing at a decent level alright and a consistent PL starter, not worth pursuing if he doesn't want to wear the jersey though

eire4 wrote: »
    If Christie picks up a yellow on Saturday he may well be playing in the second leg.

Hell stick Myler at RB if that happens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Sin City wrote: »
    Doubt itll be that score

Both teams will want to keep it tight so mabe a 1-0 or 1-1 would be likely and we are great away from home

Im more worried about the home leg with extra time knowing of they score well be screwed

Yeah I don't get why so many prefer their home tie to be the second leg???

I take it normal away goal rules count here?

If so surely it's better to have the second leg away, knowing what needs to be done and in the knowledge that one goal could be really crucial.

Anyhow I guess it preferred just for the fans and atmosphere.

Hell stick Myler at RB if that happens

He has played successfully there many a time at Hull and was dropping into that position a lot against Wales so wouldn't be the craziest of ideas, that, if we were in a hole!

I remember him playing there in the 2 legs in the league cup in January and he was very impressive, especially the second leg and he set up the winner with a real typical FB assist

He has played successfully there many a time at Hull and was dropping into that position a lot against Wales so wouldn't be the craziest of ideas, that, if we were in a hole!

I remember him playing there in the 2 legs in the league cup in January and he was very impressive, especially the second leg and he set up the winner with a real typical FB assist

Didnt he play there against Germany and was pretty decent

Ah, yes, almost forgot about that. I think that is what influenced Silva to stick him there for a while!

Ah, yes, almost forgot about that. I think that is what influenced Silva to stick him there for a while!

He maybe a better option in midfield but he'd put in a good shift as a RB if called upon so not too worried about Christy getting booked

The main concern is McClean coming out of Saturday without getting booked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

Really need McClean with a cool head, signs of it from Keane though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

In the past Meyler was our utility player, and he would no doubt do a reasonable job at RB.
    But at this stage we need him in midfield, and the loss at midfield would be too great if he filled in at RB.

Speaking of utility players, can JO'Sh still play RB?
    It would indeed be difficult and maybe unfair to give Doherty his debut in such a high pressure game.

Anyways, hopefully Christie can just be careful.

I would have no problem if Doherty had to start in the second leg.He has being performing very well for a few seasons .
    Sure it would be a big game to make his debut but hes not young and has plenty of experience.

Imo when Coleman is back in as first choice RB Doherty is a better option than Christie as a squad member because he is capable of covering 3 positions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Denmark getting beaten by Montenegro and drawing with Romania in qualifying give us some hope.

You'd still have to expect Denmark are favorites to win this playoff comfortably.

Reckon we'll regret not topping the group with all the missed chances we had :(

Denmark getting beaten by Montenegro and drawing with Romania in qualifying give us some hope.

You'd still have to expect Denmark are favorites to win this playoff comfortably.

Reckon we'll regret not topping the group with all the missed chances we had :(

Not at all. I don't think the vast majority of Irish/Danish fans go with that sentiment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,118 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Fairly sure Christie played right back, was down in front of me and he was getting slaughtered especially in the first half.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement