Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Fairly sure Christie played right back, was down in front of me and he was getting slaughtered especially in the first half.

He means in the Gelsenkirchen game

Christie did play RB in Aviva

Are you sure that Brady didn't drop LB at that juncture after Meyler replaced Ward

In fact he definitely did........I think !!!

I swear I had an in-dream (dellusion) last night that Ireland won 2-0 in Copenhagan.............god, honest truth, I assure you!

30/1....................sure I have to stick a (waste a) tenner on it now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I wonder who is going to make up our midfield. I can see Whelan starting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭tigger123

I wonder who is going to make up our midfield. I can see Whelan starting.

Hope not. Think MON will be pretty conservative on Saturday though, so can see it happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

tigger123 wrote: »
    Hope not. Think MON will be pretty conservative on Saturday though, so can see it happening.

Mclean Arthur Whelan and Hendick with Brady in the hole behind Long/Murphy

Hope Im wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,304 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

I swear I had an in-dream (dellusion) last night that Ireland won 2-0 in Copenhagan.............god, honest truth, I assure you!

30/1....................sure I have to stick a (waste a) tenner on it now!

I'd a fairly vivid dream on Monday night it finished 2-2 in Copenhagen, two late goals from either team, I'd certainly take that.

Will let you know how the second leg goes :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

giphy.gif

Bahahaha

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Hopefully 1-0 to us but more likely 0-0 to them with the possibility of an away goal win in Dublin .

Hopefully we get a goal anyway .

• Advertisement

blinding wrote: »
    Hopefully 1-0 to us but more likely 0-0 to them with the possibility of an away goal win in Dublin .

Hopefully we get a goal anyway .

We've shown that we can score away, so wouldn't be surprised.

I expect it will be summit similar to the approach in Cardiff; rough and tumble with long balls.

Start playing football on Tuesday in the Aviva.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Sin City wrote: »

Hope Im wrong

I hope you're wrong too, Brady is useless in that position.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭The Red Lad

Whealan will 100% start hope I’m proved wrong however. Love if O’Neill started Wes on Saturday as realistically most of us think he won’t it would really send out a statement that we are going for that away goal which is huge I think.
    Going with a 1-1 on Saturday and praying McClean keeps his discipline get that and not too many suspensions and it will be a great result awful lot on yellows going into it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Sin City wrote: »

Hope Im wrong

I'd say you're dead right, I would probably go with that midfield too if I were MON. Wouldn't go two up top in the first leg and think Wes will be more effective off the bench or in the second leg, after that can't think of anyone else who should be in contention to start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Wes will start I reckon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Kingp35 wrote: »

Pretty sure he's played there about twice in his career to date. So useless is a bit harsh....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Whatever about how well he plays in that position with a fully fit Ireland team I wouldn't have Brady starting.

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    Whatever about how well he plays in that position with a fully fit Ireland team I wouldn't have Brady starting.

christ.

Who would start ahead of him then?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Yikes, you’d take out our best crosser and setpiece taker...on a team that scores most of it goals from crosses and set pieces , a player who has scored crucial goals in playoffs and tournaments...my my

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

Murphy HAS to play on Saturday. Our last two away games sum up with or without him. He allows us to grab a foothold in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Dots1982 wrote: »
    Yikes, you’d take out our best crosser and setpiece taker...on a team that scores most of it goals from crosses and set pieces , a player who has scored crucial goals in playoffs and tournaments...my my

I couldn't give a monkeys. He's gone missing since the Euros. I won't deny he's our best crosser/dead ball expert (on his day) but his delivery has been SHOCKING this campaign. Consistently shocking. The longer this campaign has gone on, the less he has justified his automatic starting spot.

Let's be honest, the over riding reason that he's in the team is for his dead ball skills, etc. And when these attributes go AWOL (which they have done) he's not been offering much else in other areas to consider him a first name on the team sheet.

Well he is playing anyway so that is terribly unfortunate for us, I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Heading off in morning, thankfully got a ticket. The neeves are jangling a bit but while I think its a 60/40 situation against us I think away goal to go ahead or level matters will make them nervous. Think Denmark will sneak it, but we need away goal and 2 would be lovely.(of course once we dont concede 4+)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭mada82

Have to agree with the comments about Brady’s over rated set piece delivery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

mada82 wrote: »
    Have to agree with the comments about Brady’s over rated set piece delivery.

In fairness.

Goal against Bosnia.

Assist versus Bosnia.

Goal Italy.

Corner versus Serbia.

Might even be more I am no not remembering.

Granted, he has been less effective lately but hardly a man to jettison. He is playing every week for a Burnley team doing very well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

christ.
    Does that Poster mean Liam Brady ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Brady has had a poor enough campaign but is still a hugely important player for us. Definitely want him in the side,tomorrow night is as good a time as any to make a mark o tbe campaign.

Feel we can get a positive result tomorrow,get out of there without defeat.We have been very good this campaign away from home.
    Just in airport and heard a verse of **** Delaney and the FAI :D

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

Brady has had an absolutely terrible campaign for us. He’s been suspended twice to compound things, and I’m one of Robbie’s biggest fans. He’d be the player out of everyone playing in this that could put in two big performances for us to look over the campaign. As there’s no way he can be happy with that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

In fairness, thinking about it, he has t been great this campaign.

But would I drop him? no chance. Also would I play him in the hole? no chance.

Biggest problem is Brady is best on the left so hes competing with McClean, McClean has been red hot this campaign so he has that spot nailed on. Brady just gets shoved somewhere else that doesn't suit him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

pjohnson wrote: »
    Biggest problem is Brady is best on the left so hes competing with McClean, McClean has been red hot this campaign so he has that spot nailed on. Brady just gets shoved somewhere else that doesn't suit him.

Unless McClean gets shoved up top or in the whole which MON has done before but rarely.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

Dont rate Christie at all -why not have brady and ward as the full backs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Christie has been fairly solid and is good going forward.

Brady is terrible defensively. He's not a defender. Anytime he plays there he gets caught out.

Zico ! wrote: »

Mainly because having 2 left backs and no right back would be an odd formation.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

One left back and one midfielder....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Steve The Barman

I think it'll be
    1st leg
    Denmark 3 - 1 Ireland

2nd leg
    Ireland 1 - 1 Denmark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

I wouldn't be rushing to drop Brady but he hasn't been great for club or country for some time now.

I think some people (not on here but general football fans) overrate him a bit because of the goal against Italy and hold him in higher esteem than his general performances actually merit. He's a solid performer but he's not untouchable.

Despite being a more talented athlete than McClean, he doesn't show half the drive and, as a result, his performances aren't on the same level over the last 12 months or so, for example.

Brady's also quite a poor full back so the idea of putting him on the right or shunting Ward, who has been pretty solid for club and country over the last while, is not a good one for me. I'd drop Brady before Ward and McClean which is Brady's main issue for us, I guess - he's not as good as the players who play in his positions but he's far better than our options in other positions.

Zico ! wrote: »

Surely you were smart enough to realise he meant switching Ward to RB

Not that I agree with that myself

• Advertisement

I think it'll be
    1st leg
    Denmark 3 - 1 Ireland

2nd leg
    Ireland 1 - 1 Denmark

I don't really understand what you achieved posting this with nothing to back up your predictions into an Irish thread other than being able to say "I told you so" if your outcomes come through

Poor taste

I don't really understand what you achieved posting this with nothing to back up your predictions into an Irish thread other than being able to say "I told you so" if your outcomes come through

Poor taste

If i'd to have said two reland wins would you have replied the same? I doubt it very much

I think it'll be
    1st leg
    Denmark 3 - 1 Ireland

2nd leg
    Ireland 1 - 1 Denmark

There's no way the Danes are gonna put 3 past us. Bale couldn't even score against us.

Surely you were smart enough to realise he meant switching Ward to RB

Not that I agree with that myself

Could easily have been Brady shoved at RB (think he played there a bit for Norwich when Whitakker was suspended years ago and Turner was injured so Martin had to go CB, he was awful but he playe there). Dont know has Ward played RB ever? He certainly hasnt last two years at least as Lowton has been near constant RB at Burnley. Surely the smarter option would have been Brady RB?

Either way if thats it we'd be shoving our best LB to the right just to accomadate our second best Left Midfielder out of position so he can take set pieces? Are Bradys set pieces that good we can weaken our defence just to shove him in?

Thats the problem with Brady. He is best on the left side. Our left side is solid with Ward and McClean so it becomes a case of what hole can we stick Brady in for this match.

I wouldn't be rushing to drop Brady but he hasn't been great for club or country for some time now.

I think some people (not on here but general football fans) overrate him a bit because of the goal against Italy and hold him in higher esteem than his general performances actually merit. He's a solid performer but he's not untouchable.

Despite being a more talented athlete than McClean, he doesn't show half the drive and, as a result, his performances aren't on the same level over the last 12 months or so, for example.

Brady's also quite a poor full back so the idea of putting him on the right or shunting Ward, who has been pretty solid for club and country over the last while, is not a good one for me. I'd drop Brady before Ward and McClean which is Brady's main issue for us, I guess - he's not as good as the players who play in his positions but he's far better than our options in other positions.

I think this is fairly bang on tbh, I agree Brady's contribution for club this year hasn't been eye catching. Only provided 2 assists albeit he's playing in a team that has scored only 10 goals this season in the Prem. For Ireland though yeah, since the Italian goal he hasn't done a lot to suggest he should be automatically starting every game.

Looking at others around the team, you can see why they'll start tomorrow evening, Hendrick's workrate vs Wales to get the goal, McClean nothing needs to be said, Murphy has earned it.

I still feel however though that he has the ability to do something out of the ordinary and grab a goal or assist when it matters most

tigger123 wrote: »
    There's no way the Danes are gonna put 3 past us. Bale couldn't even score against us.

Lets hope you're right! When the last time we shipped 3+ goals?

Could easily have been Brady shoved at RB (think he played there a bit for Norwich when Whitakker was suspended years ago). Dont know has Ward played RB ever? He certainly hasnt last two years at least as Lowton has been near constant RB at Burnley. Surely the smarter option would have been Brady RB?

Either way if thats it we'd be shoving our best LB to the right just to accomadate our second best Left Midfielder out of position so he can take set pieces?

Thats the problem with Brady. He is best on the left side. Our left side is solid with Ward and McClean so it becomes a case of what hole can we stick Brady in for this match.

Maybe Brady on the left and McClean free to sprint around the opposition half as much as he wants.

Whatever happens, Ward, Brady and McClean will all start.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

Well it wouldnt be hard for a right full to play at left its been done before

Lets hope you're right! When the last time we shipped 3+ goals?

Mexico and Uruguay in friendlies in June. Before that, in a match that mattered, it was France.

• Advertisement

If i'd to have said two reland wins would you have replied the same? I doubt it very much

I'd probably have taken no second look at your post.

You've literally landed into this thread having never posted here before, as there is a discussion about Irish team news, etc going on and basically said fúck it lads, you're getting thumped tomorrow night, g'luck

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement