Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Big fan of Brady but iv been saying for a while his dead balls have gone to the dogs lately,
    He's lack of pace has been letting him down of late,but I still think he has to start as he has the ability to score goals , and also probably our only player I'd back taking a pen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭tigger123

If we can nullify Eriksen we'll go a long way to drawing or winning tomorrow. A few reducers might sort it out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Dont get me wrong I do know Brady will start and probably in the centre but I just meant that is possibly why he has been poor, hes not in his best position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 219 ✭✭purcela

tigger123 wrote: »
    Mexico and Uruguay in friendlies in June. Before that, in a match that mattered, it was France.

Belgium at Euro 2016 (3-0). We lost 2-1 to France.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Mexico and Uruguay in friendlies in June. Before that, in a match that mattered, it was France.

We beat Uruguay 3-1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭tigger123

8-10 wrote: »
    We beat Uruguay 3-1

We conceded 3 though, that was my point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,304 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

We conceded 3 though, that was my point.

We conceded 3 against Mexico and lost 3-1

We then beat Uruguay 3-1

Competitively, the last time we conceded 3 was the 3-0 loss to Belgium in the Euros

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,118 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Bradys problem is that ward is a better left back and McLean is a better left winger. Brady is fairly lucky to be in the starting line given his form and recent performances.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭MojoRisinnnn

No way Brady won't be starting in the middle, would be very harsh to drop Ward he's been solid for both club and country. I could be blindly optimistic but I think we are gonna nick a goal tomorrow, hopefully with no equalizer form the Danes although 1 all would be a good result.

I'm fearful for the lads on yellows who may miss the return leg, to lose 2 or 3 of our starting 11, in particular any of the back 4 would be huge. COYBIG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

I'm fearing Poulsen and Sisto in those wide forward positions, both young and improving and having good seasons, they've a lot to do with Denmark's much improved results this year compared to the few previous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Bendtner to have the game of his life tomorrow night. I just know its going to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Bradys problem is that ward is a better left back and McLean is a better left winger. Brady is fairly lucky to be in the starting line given his form and recent performances.

Well, maybe for his country McClean has been better recently but he can barely get a game for West Brom whilst Brady is playing week in and week out (and performing well enough by all accounts) in a Burnley team that's sixth or something in the table.

McClean's David Healy like form means he obviously starts there though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

Nervs starting to kick in now , God only knows what Ill be like tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

I've been critical of Murphy in the past but I hope he can find the net against Denmark.

My biggest concern is where will the goals come from. We aren't really blessed with a striker who instils you with confidence that they are going to go find a goal, something that has me worried.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Brady on the left and McClean playing off Murphy is an interesting option.....especially in the away leg...

Trond wrote: »
    Brady on the left and McClean playing off Murphy is an interesting option.....especially in the away leg...

McClean doesn't have the positional discipline or patience for that type of role. He will always drift left and he will spend more time chasing back than anything in the first leg.

Shane Long will start regardless.

I will be shocked if he doesn't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,939 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

have a bad feeling about 2morrow and think were all underestimating this danish side

losing 2-0 with 3/4 players (McClean, Arter, Clark and Duffy) missing the 2nd leg would be a real kick in the balls and really damage tuesdays atmosphere

an irish win in Denmark would be magical

PTH2009 wrote: »
    have a bad feeling about 2morrow and think were all underestimating this danish side

losing 2-0 with 3/4 players (McClean, Arter, Clark and Duffy) missing the 2nd leg would be a real kick in the balls and really damage tuesdays atmosphere

I am not sure the vast majority of fans, at least who have done a bit of research, are to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

I'm the opposite, I have a good feeling about tomorrow night and this tie.

We have developed an ability under this management of coming up with a desired performance when most needed.

The management and players won't be underestimating Denmark.

• Advertisement

TheCitizen wrote: »

I'm the opposite, I have a good feeling about tomorrow night and this tie.  

We have developed an ability under this management of coming up with a desired performance when most needed.

The management and players won't be underestimating Denmark.
    O'Neil seems to be marmite, loved or hated
    I personally think he is a brutal manger and we would be better without him , I would say we are in this position due to the heart of the players ,
    People go on about the master plan in wales 9times outa ten we lose that 1-0 ,We seem to play well against the big sides but I think that just the players rising to the challenge.
    We've been awful in far to many games we should win to give the management credit,
    but here's hoping the players turn up tomorrow and the home game and we get through as no matter who the management is the whole country should be behind the team .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

I personally think he is a brutal manger and we would be better without him , I would say we are in this position due to the heart of the players ,
    People go on about the master plan in wales 9times outa ten we lose that 1-0 ,We seem to play well against the big sides but I think that just the players rising to the challenge.
    We've been awful in far to many games we should win to give the management credit,
    but here's hoping the players turn up tomorrow and the home game and we get through as no matter who the management is the whole country should be behind the team .

Qualify or not, one thing is for sure, we are guaranteed to endure another O'Neil debate in here.
    Personally don't mind which side people land on, but most cases I find people are set in their opinion on him and nothing will sway it, be it they like him or not.

Anyway, here's hoping the big debate can hold off until after the playoffs at least!
    Going to be a stressful Saturday against a good Danish side.

but here's hoping the players turn up tomorrow and the home game and we get through as no matter who the management is the whole country should be behind the team .
    We've been beating teams higher ranked than us regularly for the first times since 2001 since he has taken over and you're still not going to give him and his management team credit?

It's the fact that we've shown ourselves capable of rising to the big occasion time and again and having no fear of teams that are ranked higher than us that gives me confidence that the players won't shirk the challenge of these play offs. We'll still need some luck or at least not bad luck or poor decisions against us like what Northern Ireland had last night. The players will be up for it and won't bottle it, that much I'm confident of, and MON and his management team deserve great credit for that belief and courage that the team and squad has.

Oh, god, let's not go down the MON debate again. Obviously it is related to ROI but it is the same to and fro and the exact same points and retorts over and over and over again.

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Qualify or not, one thing is for sure, we are guaranteed to endure another O'Neil debate in here.
    Personally don't mind which side people land on, but most cases I find people are set in their opinion on him and nothing will sway it, be it they like him or not.

Anyway, here's hoping the big debate can hold off until after the playoffs at least!
    Going to be a stressful Saturday against a good Danish side.

This.

We've been beating teams higher ranked than us regularly for the first times since 2001 since he has taken over and you're still not going to give him and his management team credit?  

It's the fact that we've shown ourselves capable of rising to the big occasion time and again and having no fear of teams that are ranked higher than us that gives me confidence that the players won't shirk the challenge of these play offs.  We'll still need some luck or at least not bad luck or poor decisions against us like what Northern Ireland had last night.  The players will be up for it and won't bottle it, that much I'm confident of, and MON and his management team deserve great credit for that belief and courage that the team and squad has.
    Yes weve beaten some higher ranked teams and stunk the place out against lower ranked teams,
    But lets all hope we do it in the next two games COYBIG

Thanks

You just have to accept these boards are open to everyone and you're going to get a mix of immature/mature and wide variety of intelligence levels.

Anyone who looks at the lack of talent at our disposal and can't give our management team any credit for their success probably aren't worth wasting your efforts on to convince them otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

Dots1982 wrote: »
    Yikes, you’d take out our best crosser and setpiece taker...on a team that scores most of it goals from crosses and set pieces , a player who has scored crucial goals in playoffs and tournaments...my my

I agree with you. Brady is actually one of our better players in IMHO and a nailed on starter for us. Scored the crucial away goal in Bosina in the playoffs last time out for the Euro Finals too when we drew 1-1 over there. Would be over the moon if we got a repeat of that scenario tomorrow.

Oh, god, let's not go down the MON debate again. Obviously it is related to ROI but it is the same to and fro and the exact same points and retorts over and over and over again.
    The "same to and fro" and "exact same points" should be over and done with by now.

It's acceptable if some say they don't like MON's general approach and style of football. It's acceptable comment to be critical of certain performances like v Georgia or home v Austria is one that I was personally annoyed with because as we proved towards the end of that game that if we had started the game with some tempo, we were much better than them and would've won that game easily. However to not give credit to the management team for the team being capable time and again of upping their game to beat teams that are higher ranked than us betrays either a churlish begrudging agenda against MON and Keane perhaps?, or it betrays a desperately poor lack of basic knowledge about the international game and where we stand in it.

If we can overcome Denmark our ranking goes higher again and with the current rate of success and if we can keep that going by the time MON is finished as Ireland manager our ranking will have improved significantly, making it easier for any subsequent management team when they take over as regards where our team will be seeded for any draws for qualifying for tournaments. That's a huge thing for Ireland that seems to be taken for granted with a few on here.

As I say people can say they don't like the style of play or whatever but to come out with nonsense like; "he is a brutal manger and we would be better without him" (and that isn't an isolated comment on here) in the context of the series of results v higher ranked teams since MON has took charge is utter gibberish and should be called out as such.

It's fair game to criticise certain performances or a seeming lack of a plan to adapt in style in a game v a lower ranked side, but enough of that nonsense in bold above.

• Advertisement

Rekop dog wrote: »
    You just have to accept these boards are open to everyone and you're going to get a mix of immature/mature and wide variety of intelligence levels.

Anyone who looks at the lack of talent at our disposal and can't give our management team any credit for their success probably aren't worth wasting your efforts on to convince them otherwise.
    I'm not bothered about convincing a certain cohort on here, but I will challenge that nonsense and call it out for the basic lack of knowledge that it betrays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,939 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I see Wales are playing France in a friendly tonight. I wonder would we have playing France if we didn't make the playoffs ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

a lot has been made of Denmark's 4-0 win over Poland

but the goals were fairly soft..i can't see the ROI defence conceding such goals

what you think....?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I see Wales are playing France in a friendly tonight. I wonder would we have playing France if we didn't make the playoffs ???

Oman were lined up if we’d not got the playoffs.

I'm not bothered about convincing a certain cohort on here, but I will challenge that nonsense and call it out for the basic lack of knowledge that it betrays.

Why bother? People are entitled to their opinion and you take it far too much to heart re O' Neill. Getting into these long round and round debates arguing on his behalf must be mind numbing at this stage as I doubt you can change the minds of his long term dissenters, much as it is frustrating to see unjustified criticism at stage

I'm happy with O'Neill, personally, but I can acknowledge the logic behind certain reasons why some people take issues with his approach. It isn't a black or white debate.

saying people have basic lack of knowledge because they disagree with you doesn't do your offerings to the debate much favours.

Why bother? People are entitled to their opinion and you take it far too much to heart re O' Neill. Getting into these long round and round debates arguing on his behalf must be mind numbing at this stage as I doubt you can change the minds of his long term dissenters, much as it is frustrating to see unjustified criticism at stage

I'm happy with O'Neill, personally, but I can acknowledge the logic behind certain reasons why some people take issues with his approach. It isn't a black or white debate.

saying people have basic lack of knowledge because they disagree with you doesn't do your offerings to the debate much favours.

I didn't say that though did I? Did you read what I said at all?

• Advertisement

And given that you pointed out the 2 results (Austria and Georgia) which probably cost us an automatic place and a good chance now that it will maybe even cost us a place at the World Cup, you can surely see why posters are frustrated with the manager and have criticised him to such a degree.

We wouldn't have needed the result against Wales had we performed in both those games. We need to control our destiny in both games and the overall group stage yet we have consistently found ourselves relying on "that moment" in certain games or not putting games to bed.

As I said, I am happy with O'neill and the early group stage results like Austria and even Wales at home were good results and even the Serbia game, although we gout out of jail there, again despite taking a lead and then allowing the opponent to control the game.

Serbia game at home was actually not a bad performance, I maintain we were the better team but, again, we didn't take advantage of that, like we don't generally take advantage of early leads in games and didn't take advantage of our position in the group going into the Austria, and indeed, the Georgia/Serbia games.

It is no coincidence that it is a growing trend and moments like Brady's header and McCleans great finish shouldn't be allowed to completely overshadow this trend.

We were well capable of getting better results against Austria, Georgia, Serbia etc, 3 vital games, one of which could have been the difference between automatic qualification and maybe even qualification and we didn't. This can't be thrown aside.

fryup wrote: »
    a lot has been made of Denmark's 4-0 win over Poland

but the goals were fairly soft..i can't see the ROI defence conceding such goals

what you think....?

Probably one of those games where everything fell right for them, but looked impressive nonetheless.

Our lads will be well drilled anyway. I'm not expecting anything other than being under the cosh the majority of the game. But our ability to soak up the pressure has been seen time and time again which would give me confidence beyond what I really should have given the gulf in quality between the sides.

Clark being dropped by Newcastle would be a small concern though, was great for us when he and Duffy were starting regular in the Prem. Hopefully his confidence or sharpness hasn't been dented.

I didn't say that though did I? Did you read what I said at all?

You said some people's offerings on some aspects of MON's management betrays basic lack of knowledge on same, despite their views being based on opinion, some of which are fairly logical. It isn't far and away different to what I said.

At least, that is how I read your post.

Anyway, lets leave it! I am being a complete hypocrite getting myself sucked ino a MON debate!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

I don't mind MON, it's all about results and qualifying for tournaments is his job and this time next week he could be 2 for 2 in qualifying for tournaments.

My criticism of MON is in some of the performances against Georgia (A), Austria (H) and against lower ranked teams like Moldova where we were 2-0 up after 20 mins and in the second half played like the team who was bottom of the group and made Moldova look half decent. Didn't agree with the timing of the new contract either, felt that should have waited until the campaign was over but with his comments about the older players in the squad I'm very intrigued to see how the squad is gonna take shape over the next campaign.

And given that you pointed out the 2 results (Austria and Georgia) which probably cost us an automatic place and a good chance now that it will maybe even cost us a place at the World Cup, you can surely see why posters are frustrated with the manager and have criticised him to such a degree.

We wouldn't have needed the result against Wales had we performed in both those games. We need to control our destiny in both games and the overall group stage yet we have consistently found ourselves relying on "that moment" in certain games or not putting games to bed.

As I said, I am happy with O'neill and the early group stage results like Austria and even Wales at home were good results and even the Serbia game, although we gout out of jail there, again despite taking a lead and then allowing the opponent to control the game.

Serbia game at home was actually not a bad performance, I maintain we were the better team but, again, we didn't take advantage of that, like we don't generally take advantage of early leads in games and didn't take advantage of our position in the group going into the Austria, and indeed, the Georgia/Serbia games.

It is no coincidence that it is a growing trend and moments like Brady's header and McCleans great finish shouldn't be allowed to completely overshadow this trend.

We were well capable of getting better results against Austria, Georgia, Serbia etc, 3 vital games, one of which could have been the difference between automatic qualification and maybe even qualification and we didn't. This can't be thrown aside.

True, but you cant fault the manager that we didnt finish or create any chances
    Ok he may have gone in defensivly thats seems to be his approach to everything
    however if Shane Duffys goal stood against Austria that might change public opinion or if we escaped a 1-0 off Georgia aswell most would be singing his praises

All the teams took points off each other in a tough group

Remember we were 4th seeds too

All we can do now is get behind the manager and the team for the next 2 games

• Advertisement

Sin City wrote: »
    True, but you cant fault the manager that we didnt finish or create any chances
    Ok he may have gone in defensivly thats seems to be his approach to everything
    however if Shane Duffys goal stood against Austria that might change public opinion or if we scaped a 1-0 off Gerogia aswell most would be sining his prases

All the teams took points off each other in a tough group

Remember we were 4th seeds too

All we can do now is get behind the manager and the team for the next 2 games

But we didn't create half as many chances as we should have because of our set up. In fact the funny thing is we probably had an alright chance to conversion rate, given how many chances we did create! And we scored f all goals!!

The 4th seed thing is irrelevant, we were on an even keel with all the other 3 teams. So you have to

MON gets some unfair criticism at times but this is the nature of international football, given we only have a certain amount of games and how vital each of the games along the way are.

The gas thing is every manager in our group has been under pressure from performances: Coleman has got plenty of criticism in Wales after this campaign, a lot of Welsh fans think he has gone as far as he can! This is despite what he has achieved, Austria have sacked their manager and even Serbia sacked their manager!

All 4 managers have screwed up at various points in the campaign but thankfully, we pulled through to this point!

Please God, now

But we didn't create half as many chances as we should have because of our set up. In fact the funny thing is we probably had an alright chance to conversion rate, given how many chances we did create! And we scored f all goals!!

The 4th seed thing is irrelevant, we were on an even keel with all the other 3 teams. So you have to

MON gets some unfair criticism at times but this is the nature of international football, given we only have a certain amount of games and how vital each of the games along the way are.

The gas thing is every manager in our group has been under pressure from performances: Coleman has got plenty of criticism in Wales after this campaign, a lot of Welsh fans think he has gone as far as he can! This is despite what he has achieved, Austria have sacked their manager and even Serbia sacked their manager!

All 4 managers have screwed up at various points in the campaign but thankfully, we pulled through to this point!

Please God, now

I agree with you to a point
    O Neil sets up not to loose matches nad I suppose looking at our group he felt we were better off not conceding and hoping to nick a goal

We dont have a proven goal scorer anymore so if we cant score dont concede

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Ive seen this a few times and i honest to God dont see how its even close. He turned his back and had his hand outstretched compared to a guy controlling the ball with his hand in a real obvious way :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I'm not really convinced about our two fullbacks, Christie and Ward. I think if the Danish wingers are good then they will exploit them. Hope i'm wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Ward us much maligned but the last two seasons at EPL level have seen him being pretty steady.

I don't see Christie much though and always worry a little about him.

Five years ago it would have been Ward who concerned me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Ward can sniff out danger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,941 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

If Ireland don't get through it won't be Denmark that cost us but the points thrown in the Liffey against Georgia and Austria. We were in such a great position but reverted to type and put needless pressure on ourselves :( Ah well, we are where we are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

noodler wrote: »
    Ward us much maligned but the last two seasons at EPL level have seen him being pretty steady.

I don't see Christie much though and always worry a little about him.

Five years ago it would have been Ward who concerned me.

Ward has done well the past couple of seasons I would venture to say they have been the best of his career and he has been pretty good in a green jersey as well. Christie to be fair to him has done a very solid job since stepping in for Coleman which was always going to be a big ask. So hopefully he can continue that tomorrow but certainly it will be a big ask for them both but especially for Christie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,941 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Hope we don't score early. Don't know if my little heart could take 90 mins of hoofball and backs against the wall :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭briany

Hope we don't score early. Don't know if my little heart could take 90 mins of hoofball and backs against the wall :(

This is one game where I'll gladly take an early Ireland goal, if one was going. In this type of game, scoring an away goal is like scoring a goal and a half.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement