Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,531 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Regarding euro 2016 applications:

Are they all or nothing?

Could you get, say, all 12 tickets or none? Or could you get something in between?

Or perhaps you get all the tickets for one game? But none for another?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

noodler wrote: »
    Regarding euro 2016 applications:

Are they all or nothing?

Could you get, say, all 12 tickets or none? Or could you get something in between?

Or perhaps you get all the tickets for one game? But none for another?

Am pretty sure it is all or nothing on a game by game basis. If you have applied for 4 tickets for each game you will get 0 or 4 for that particular game. You could be successful for our first game alone and miss out on the other games. Hope that makes sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,316 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Didn't see the game myself but heard Randolph had a very good game, be great to see him get more game time before the summer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

The Euros are harder to win, it's highly likely you could get lumped with two decent teams and not make it out alive at the group stage

Not true imo, yes you might get a harder group but if you are gonna win a WC you'll have to take on the big boys of Europe AND the big boys of South America!

To win Euro 2016 you don't have to worry about playing against the likes of Argentina, Brazil, Uruguay or Colombia. A lot of the World's top players won't be at Euro 2016 but they would be at a WC!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Watching the Peterborough and West Brom game

Forrester is playing,looking comfortable

Peterborough have another lad playing and himself and Forrester are very alike,same build and playing style,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

#ForresterForEuro2016

dreamers75 wrote: »
    #ForresterForEuro2016

Id love to see him get a run in one of the friendlies but I think it might have come too soon for him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭macslash

Did any three customers get presale tickets for the March friendlies? They were to go on sale yesterday. I cant get the link at all though. Anyone have luck?

• Great Article on RTE about the progress of the Irish lads at the weekend

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2016/0215/768084-irish-abroad-goals-goals-in-premier-league/

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Great Article on RTE about the progress of the Irish lads at the weekend

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2016/0215/768084-irish-abroad-goals-goals-in-premier-league/

Brighton are going well,Richie Towell must be finding it hard to break into the team

Paddy Madden still banging in the goals

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Great Article on RTE about the progress of the Irish lads at the weekend

Hard to see any reason for Forde to be in the squad for Euros when he's a sub for Millwall in League 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Hard to see any reason for Forde to be in the squad for Euros when he's a sub for Millwall in League 1

True.
    My guess as of now is Given, Randalf and Elliott.

Not that Given is playing much either , mind you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,619 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

True.
    My guess as of now is Given, Randalf and Elliott.

Not that Given is playing much either , mind you

Given shouldn't be near the squad.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Brighton are going well,Richie Towell must be finding it hard to break into the team

Paddy Madden still banging in the goals

Yes he is.......the pr*ck!

(I'm a Southend fan!)

(He scored against us earlier this season as well I'm sure.)

:D:)

But two of the three keepers you mentioned are subs for their clubs?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Randolph should be the starting keeper. Has done well when he has played and has been playing a bit for West Ham too. I don't rate Elliot at all. Given is past it and Forde should be our sub keeper.

noodler wrote:
    But two of the three keepers you mentioned are subs for their clubs?

I didn't mention any keepers but I would bring Westwood, Elliot and Randolph myself. Given should be no where near the squad, Forde as 4th choice imo

I didn't mention any keepers but I would bring Westwood, Elliot and Randolph myself. Given should be no where near the squad, Forde as 4th choice imo

You are right of course.

I quoted the wrong poster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,603 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

For some reason Westwood doesn't seem to be in the managements plans. If he was you'd think he would have gotten his chance by now, he is surely a better keeper than Given and Forde at this stage but I can't see him being picked over either of them for the actual squad. Randolph deserves to be first choice now and I would be surprised if he wasn't our number one in June.

• Advertisement

For some reason Westwood doesn't seem to be in the managements plans. If he was you'd think he would have gotten his chance by now, he is surely a better keeper than Given and Forde at this stage but I can't see him being picked over either of them for the actual squad. Randolph deserves to be first choice now and I would be surprised if he wasn't our number one in June.

Westwood seems to have fallen out with MON/Keane but is probably having the best season with a team challenging for promotion while Randolph is chiefly on d bench and Elliot is stuck behind a terrible defence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,526 ✭✭✭joe123

Has anyone NOT heard back from Uefas Ticketing portal thing? The last email I got was stating "From the beginning of next week, we plan to start taking payments from applicants with successful ticket applications."

I havent heard anything back since and I know the majority (all) have heard one way or the other now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭bren2001

joe123 wrote: »
    Has anyone NOT heard back from Uefas Ticketing portal thing? The last email I got was stating "From the beginning of next week, we plan to start taking payments from applicants with successful ticket applications."

I havent heard anything back since and I know the majority (all) have heard one way or the other now.

Just log onto your portal and it will tell you otherwise check your spam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,781 ✭✭✭eire4

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Randolph should be the starting keeper. Has done well when he has played and has been playing a bit for West Ham too. I don't rate Elliot at all. Given is past it and Forde should be our sub keeper.

I would go with Randolph as number 1 right now with Elliott as backup and Westwood as number 3. How is Stephen Henderson doing at Charlton?

eire4 wrote: »
    I would go with Randolph as number 1 right now with Elliott as backup and Westwood as number 3. How is Stephen Henderson doing at Charlton?

Iv no idea, I stopped looking at lower leagues when BBC got rid of the football league show

eire4 wrote: »

I'd also go for Randalf as marginally no.1.
    The rest are, as Liam Brady might say, much of a muchness.

In reality the third choice goalie won't play.
    So if you want experience in the squad for France, go for Shay Given.

If you want to bring youth along for the experience, then maybe Ian Lawlor ?

• Advertisement

I'd also go for Randalf as marginally no.1.
    The rest are, as Liam Brady might say, much of a muchness.

In reality the third choice goalie won't play.
    So if you want experience in the squad for France, go for Shay Given.

If you want to bring youth along for the experience, then maybe Ian Lawlor ?

That should be the way things are done, bring a young promising GK as third choice (as you say they never even get game time) give him some experience of training with the squad and the tournament environment.

Yeah although maybe Given does a great job in the background as mentor to the other goalies.

He is probably our best ever goalie and has been there and done that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

McGeady wasn't even in the squad for Wednesday today, and no reason given... don't think he's injured?
    He hasn't had a full 90mins yet... Wonder what's up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Could Damien Delaney be on the plane to France?

Alan Pardew: Damien Delaney set for international U-turn

Crystal Palace defender Damien Delaney may be on the verge on an Irish international U-turn according to his club manager Alan Pardew.

Delaney, 34, has nine caps for the Republic of Ireland but appeared to retire from international football last August.

The centre-back has been in fine form for Palace during the season but there had never been any real question of him being involved in Euro 2016 for Ireland after he put out a statement that seemed to close the door on his Ireland career last year.

“I know that at the age of 34 the future of Irish football does not lie with me. The rigours of Premier League football and the 24/7 dedication required takes its toll so I look on the international break as a chance to recover,” the defender said in a statement in August.

However Pardew has indicated that Delaney may be undergoing a change of heart and that he would be eager to put on the green jersey again, if called upon to do so.

In an interview with the Sunday Times, Pardew was questioned on whether Delaney would make a return and replied: “I think he would. I think he is big enough and bold enough to swallow his pride and do the right thing.”

Crystal Palace captain Scott Dann also believes that Delaney is eager to return to the Irish fold and told the same newspaper: “I’m sure deep down he would want to play at the Euros.

“He’s playing week in, week out, in the Premier League and he is playing well. He’s good enough to play for Ireland, he’s shown that. If he was asked the question, I know what the answer would be.”

Delaney’s apparent desire to return to the international scene could be a mixed blessing for manager Martin O’Neill.

The Crystal Palace defender has been a big part of Crystal Palace’s success this season and could offer Ireland another strong option in defence.

However the Ireland boss would have to balance Delaney’s talents against the risk that a player, who had no real part in Ireland qualifying for the Euros, could upset the team spirit were he to be drafted into the squad at the expense of someone who has been there throughout.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2016/0221/769733-damien-delaney-set-for-international-u-turn/

What do we make of this, then?

I think he is probably our best central defender at the moment and would be a good addition. The problem is would his inclusion annoy other members of the squad? It would be harsh to omit a player that worked to get us there in order to secure the services of a player who didn't feature, and who may not wish to feature upon the end of the tournament.

My feeling is O'Neill won't go after him. Should he though?

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Chrissybhoy

whiskeyman wrote: »
    McGeady wasn't even in the squad for Wednesday today, and no reason given... don't think he's injured?
    He hasn't had a full 90mins yet... Wonder what's up?

He's been found out I'd say

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭sonic85

Jaysus he's surely good enough for the championship though? I never thought he was going to be much good in the premier league but I would've thought he'd be a decent player in the championship?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,432 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Tickets sorted. Staying in La Rochelle for 5 nights.

Only doing first 2 games. looking forward to it

• Tickets sorted. Staying in La Rochelle for 5 nights.

Nice1

I could only do the Italy game. Hopefully we are still in it by then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Congrats Kew! Enjoy

Could Damien Delaney be on the plane to France?

What do we make of this, then?

I think he is probably our best central defender at the moment and would be a good addition. The problem is would his inclusion annoy other members of the squad? It would be harsh to omit a player that worked to get us there in order to secure the services of a player who didn't feature, and who may not wish to feature upon the end of the tournament.

My feeling is O'Neill won't go after him. Should he though?

I could take him or leave him.

Don't really see him as a step-up on O'Shea, Keogh, Clark or Wilson.

Plus he hasn't played in the qualifiers, and it's important the centre backs have an understanding built up.

I thought the initial reason for the exclusion was that it didn't make sense to have a 34-year old in the squad as 4th or 5th choice CB ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Came home from Canada to be ready for the finals, then found out wife was pregnant and due then, so well jealous of you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Martin o'neill is class act

• Registered Users Posts: 9,640 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Bowlardo wrote: »

He is.

Bowlardo wrote: »

martin-oneill.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Berns

See new kit out next week so gonna head down to Dublin next fri and try and get couple (& name printed for kid, 2 yrs). Any idea where would be close to Connolly that should have good stock and would do name/number?

Berns wrote: »
    See new kit out next week so gonna head down to Dublin next fri and try and get couple (& name printed for kid, 2 yrs). Any idea where would be close to Connolly that should have good stock and would do name/number?

Probably Lifestyle sports on Henry St

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Jaysus lads, I'm getting diizzy at these heights!
    Ireland up to 29th
    http://www.fifa.com/fifa-world-ranking/ranking-table/men/index.html

(Northern Ireland up to 28th)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

RTE showing 31 games in the Euro's including all Ireland games and have sub licensed out 21 games to TV3.

RTÉ 2's LIVE EURO 2016 GROUP FIXTURES

10 June France v Romania (kick-off 8pm)
    11 June Albania v Switzerland (2pm)
    Wales v Slovakia (8pm)
    12 June Poland v Northern Ireland (5pm)
    13 June Rep of Ireland v Sweden (5pm)
    Belgium v Italy (8pm)
    14 June Portugal v Iceland (8pm)
    15 June Russia v Slovakia (2pm)
    16 June England v Wales (2pm)
    Germany v Poland (8pm)
    17 June Italy v Sweden (2pm)
    Czech Republic v Croatia (5pm)
    18 June Belgium v Rep of Ireland (2pm)
    Portugal v Austria (8pm)
    19 June Switzerland v France (8pm)
    20 June Russia v Wales (8pm)
    21 June Northern Ireland v Germany (5pm)
    Czech Republic v Turkey (8pm)
    22 June Iceland v Austria (5pm)
    Italy v Rep of Ireland (8pm)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,107 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

who do you think should get the irish job when Mon goes ???

have a feeling it will be David Moyes or Stephen Kenny with Roddy Collins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

PTH2009 wrote: »
    who do you think should get the irish job when Mon goes ???

have a feeling it will be David Moyes or Stephen Kenny with Roddy Collins

More chance of Enda Kenny getting it than Stephen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,432 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Irish jersey to be revealed at 1pm today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Irish jersey to be revealed at 1pm today

Judging by the past 10 jerseys, it's going to be a monstrosity.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

PTH2009 wrote: »
    with Roddy Collins

:pac:

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement