Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Keane, Doyle, Walters, Murphy all missing for Tuesday.

Long with Judge in behind is what I'd like to see tried.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Wasn't a great game last night but we looked comfortable enough and got the win. Was hoping Judge would make more of an impression but he looked fairly anonymous, although it must be hard when we don't have much of the ball. McGeady was pretty poor I thought, madness that at the beginning of the campaign he was one of our key players and at this point you would have to question if he is even good enough for the squad. He will make it in though because our options out wide are very limited. Clark and Duffy both looked pretty good last night, I also thought Quinn was decent without being outstanding. I don't think any of the normal squad will have anything too much to worry about as none of the newer players who were given a chance done anything too impressive (apart from Duffy).

Regarding the minutes silence, I got the impression that a few people thought it was meant to be a minutes applause and then as a result others joined in rather than having a minutes silence ruined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

A minutes applause is only appropriate if it for someone who has lived a full life and died of natural causes.

It is totally inappropriate for deaths caused by a terrorist attack.

I see where your coming from. I just personally have always felt a minutes applause was a more positive way to honour a person or group.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

A minutes applause is only appropriate if it for someone who has lived a full life and died of natural causes.

It is totally inappropriate for deaths caused by a terrorist attack.

I understand your opinion, but wasn't the applause/silence for the victims of the terrorist attacks, three former FAI members who had since passed since the last game, and the death of Cruyff. Obviously if a group of people start clapping most will join in rather than having the stadium half and half of people in silence and others clapping.

In terms of football yesterday thought Duffy and Clark looked good together. Felt bad for Doyle who had started brightly. Was a good comfortable win against a team high the ranking, but Switzerland did not look up for it that much. Still though, good for the players confidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

We are settling into a good side now under MON. We are hard to beat and know how to win with the minimum of fuss. It's taken a little bit of time but we are seeing MON show his mettle as a top manager and the results and self belief that comes with him for the team. Great to have him as Irish boss.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

No more 4-4-2 for the love of god.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

TheCitizen wrote: »
    We are settling into a good side now under MON. We are hard to beat and know how to win with the minimum of fuss. It's taken a little bit of time but we are seeing MON show his mettle as a top manager and the results and self belief that comes with him for the team. Great to have him as Irish boss.

It will take a bit more to convince some of us.

It will take a bit more to convince some of us.

No pleasing some people. For me, the most important thing you look for in a manager is that he gets the best out of the players available to him. With O'Neill you're guaranteed that and a bit more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I'd say we are about in the same fettle as we were going into Euro 2012.

Obviously we have a fine Germany win and Bosnia playoff under our belt as well.

We won't be playing the best Spain team ever or an excellent Croatian team but you still wouldn't be shocked if we lost every game.

Sweden is our silver lining.

noodler wrote: »
    I'd say we are about in the same fettle as we were going into Euro 2012.

Obviously we have a fine Germany win and Bosnia playoff under our belt as well.

We won't be playing the best Spain team ever or an excellent Croatian team but you still wouldn't be shocked if we lost every game.

Sweden is our silver lining.

Not at all, we're in much better nick now. We have more belief in ourselves this time, less fear in our play. I think we can qualify out of the Group. There is no chance that we will exit the tournament with no points, no chance that will happen, that much is certain.

• Advertisement

Not at all, we're in much better nick now. We have more belief in ourselves this time, less fear in our play. I think we can qualify out of the Group. There is no chance that we will exit the tournament with no points, no chance that will happen, that much is certain.

What?

Sounds like anti-trap hyperbole to me.

The quality of player in the squad is less than last time but the opposition is also lesser.

You'd be pretty optimistic not to be able to at least envisage how we could suffer three losses.

We lost to a fairly average Scotland team. Played with a great deal of fear in the qualifiers until we were losing.

Mightily impressed with how we dealt with Bosnia but I think it's incredibly naive to think there has been a seachange I'm how we approach games.

What?

I said;

What?

Sounds like anti-trap hyperbole to me.

The quality of player in the squad is less than last time but the opposition is also lesser.

You'd be pretty optimistic not to be able to at least envisage how we could suffer three losses.

We lost to a fairly average Scotland team. Played with a great deal of fear in the qualifiers until we were losing.

Mightily impressed with how we dealt with Bosnia but I think it's incredibly naive to think there has been a seachange I'm how we approach games.

I see you added a bit to your post. We are playing with more belief now. We won't fear anyone in the Euros. It took a bit of time for that belief and confidence to be instilled into the squad, but it's there now.

I see you added a bit to your post. We are playing with more belief now. We won't fear anyone in the Euros. It took a bit of time for that belief and confidence to be instilled into the squad, but it's there now.

We didn't lack either going into Euro 2012 imo.

In terms of actually playing football on the deck I'm not sure we do much more of that now than under Trap in his first two campaigns.

I suppose we are going back and forth here so I'll leave it.

I wouldn't be able to say we won't be pointless with the same confidence as you though.if Sweden turn us over I'd actually say it's the likely scenario (at least odds wise).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

Going into Euro 2012 we hadn't been beaten in our last 12-13 games, so I remember hopes were actually pretty high.

Was absolutely sickened to be eliminated after the 2nd game - but I don't think its possible for that to happen this time? Even going into the last game with 0pts, a win might be enough to give you a best 3rd place spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

I think we'll end up getting at least 2 draws.

A draw against Sweden that we probably should have won.
    A draw against Belgium that we probably should have lost.

Probably a loss against Italy.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

We're definitely in better shape now going in to these Euros as compared to the last ones. For a start, it feels as if we've actually qualified under our own steam rather than as a result of another team's implosion. One look at the two groups would clearly suggest that, even factoring in the extra qualification place, this one was far more difficult. I mean, for the last one, it came down to a match between ourselves and Armenia to see who would qualify for the playoffs (and having been at that game, it could have easily been Armenia!)

Also, I never felt that anyone was confident of getting anything at those Euros, and if there were, I'd just put it down to your typical pre-tournament delusion, which is understandable considering we hadn't qualified for a major tournament in ten years (and the Euros since '88). Personally, I was always of the view that three losses was extremely likely. I just didn't want us to get back on the plane with our tails between our legs (which ended up being the case unfortunately).

As for the upcoming tournament, I'm a little more optimistic about our ability to put in competitive performances, and that's not just down to the opposition we're going to face either. I mean, we have still got easily one of the most difficult groups, and it's entirely possible that could still lose all our games, but as long as are considerably more competitive in these games (which I think we will be) than we were the last time then I'll be happy.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Kenjataimu wrote: »
    I think we'll end up getting at least 2 draws.

A draw against Sweden that we probably should have won.
    A draw against Belgium that we probably should have lost.

Probably a loss against Italy.

Two points could see us through!

If the top two teams of a group beat the bottom two teams, and then the bottom two teams draw then 3rd place will have one point. If this happens in two groups (apart from ours obviously), then two points will see us though.

I have no idea how you can say that with so much certainty, but what I do know is how much I'd love to have your optimism. This isn't particularly a dig at our team as, like you, I believe we are in better shape heading into these Euros.

However, I feel people are underestimating the strength of the group. I can see Ibra being on fire for what will most likely (if not definitely!) be his last major tournament. I can easily envisage us finishing on zero points, despite probably playing better stuff than other teams who may actually still qualify, but alas, that's just the luck of the draw really, and we got a pretty awful one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Wilberto wrote: »
    We're definitely in better shape now going in to these Euros as compared to the last ones. For a start, it feels as if we've actually qualified under our own steam rather than as a result of another team's implosion

We have georgia to thank for us being in france because if they had not beaten scotland than we would not have made it even with the german win plus we also had lady luck our side (O Shea's goal vs Germany, Longs vs Poland, Mcgeadys vs Georgia etc). Our campaign could of ended around this time last year if we had of lost at home to poland.

it would of been terrible to be watching Scotland, Northern Ireland, Albania, Slovakia and Wales being in france and us at home

• Advertisement

Wilberto wrote: »
    We're definitely in better shape now going in to these Euros as compared to the last ones. For a start, it feels as if we've actually qualified under our own steam rather than as a result of another team's implosion. One look at the two groups would clearly suggest that, even factoring in the extra qualification place, this one was far more difficult. I mean, for the last one, it came down to a match between ourselves and Armenia to see who would qualify for the playoffs (and having been at that game, it could have easily been Armenia!).

That's a really mad, bizarre point!

We didn't lose to any of our main competitors for the play off spot. Only team in the group who held our nerve and got the three points in Armenia (even Russia couldn't!)

What's more, we finished second in that group! We finished THIRD in this one so surely it was more under our own steam the first time around (whereas third only got us a playoff due to the expansion).

The two losses to Scotland and Poland, our main competition for the play off spot would have cost us second in any previous euros qualifying.

Also, we qualified due to" another team's implosion" in 2012? What would you call Scotland losing in Georgia this time around???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

That's a really mad, bizarre point!

We didn't lose to any of our main competitors for the play off spot. Only team in the group who held our nerve and got the three points in Armenia (even Russia couldn't!)

What's more, we finished second in that group! We finished THIRD in this one so surely it was more under our own steam the first time around (whereas third only got us a playoff due to the expansion).

The two losses to Scotland and Poland, our main competition for the play off spot would have cost us second in any previous euros qualifying.

Also, we qualified due to" another team's implosion" in 2012? What would you call Scotland losing in Georgia this time around???

The first game against Scotland we were missing at least 5 players and Hanley should have been sent off. Trap was a nightmare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

The first game against Scotland we were missing at least 5 players and Hanley should have been sent off. Trap was a nightmare.

More anti Trapp hyperbole, even though you were not the poster accused of that the first time round, so apologies there.

I can't be sure we will not come home with 0 points after this.

I don't think we are a hell of a lot better than 4 years ago.

More anti Trapp hyperbole, even though you were not the poster accused of that the first time round, so apologies there.

I can't be sure we will not come home with 0 points after this.

I don't think we are a hell of a lot better than 4 years ago.

You obviously don't know a lot about football then. This team is a hell of a lot better prepared than Traps. It also plays without the rigid tactical straight jacket that Trap had imposed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

This was the Irish team that started Euro 2012:

Rep of Ireland: Given, O'Shea, St. Ledger, Dunne, Ward, McGeady (Cox 54), Whelan, Andrews, Duff, Doyle (Walters 53), Keane (Long 75).

This is the team that beat Bosnia:

R. of Ireland
    Randolph, Coleman, Keogh, Clark, Brady, Whelan (O'Shea), McCarthy, Walters, Hoolahan (McClean), Hendrick, Murphy (Long)

The 2012 versions of Given, Dunne, Duff and Keane were pretty strong. Plus O'Shea and Whelan were 4 years younger.

I guess Coleman, Brady and McCarthy have developed well and could be considered upgrades on the 2012 team.

As Liam Brady would say, it's much of a muchness, Bill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

were not going to do a greece on it and win the tournament but we need to win a match at least in these finals (euro 88 and Euro 2012 we played 6 matches, W1, D1,L4).

Belgium and Italy will be on fire and Sweden (might as well called them team ibrahimovic lol) will be there/there abouts.

if we were offered to switch groups with Northern Ireland would we do it ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

PTH2009 wrote: »
    were not going to do a greece on it and win the tournament but we need to win a match at least in these finals (euro 88 and Euro 2012 we played 6 matches, W1, D1,L4).

Belgium and Italy will be on fire and Sweden (might as well called them team ibrahimovic lol) will be there/there abouts.

if we were offered to switch groups with Northern Ireland would we do it ???

To be fair at the 88 finals we played some great football and came within a few minutes of knocking out what was a truly outstanding Dutch team and reaching the semi-finals. We really had some terrific players ourselves in that team.

You obviously don't know a lot about football then. This team is a hell of a lot better prepared than Traps. It also plays without the rigid tactical straight jacket that Trap had imposed.

I'm not going to start making andersonisgod type statements to backup my knowledge credentials :)

I remember a thread from pre Euro 2012 giving out about some BBC analyst who said that Ireland would no get put of the group.

I can image similar threads this time.

Reality is the likes of Belgium and Italy are very good teams, and Sweden are no slouches either.

Three losses is hardly a crazy prediction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I'd say 3 defeats is more likely than not .It's an absolute dog of a group so it's no shame if we lose all 3 games.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I'd say 3 defeats is more likely than not .It's an absolute dog of a group so it's no shame if we lose all 3 games.

I think we'll probably be outplayed 3 times but the difference is that MON has the team in a place where it can still nick something (Which ironically was Trap's plan).

I think the difference is that though MON reckons we'll be up against it, he knows you still have to have an out ball, you have to still play with some belief and plan that when the time comes you can, and will be able to, attack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

I'm not going to start making andersonisgod type statements to backup my knowledge credentials :)

I remember a thread from pre Euro 2012 giving out about some BBC analyst who said that Ireland would no get put of the group.

Reality is the likes of Belgium and Italy are very good teams, and Sweden are no slouches either.

Im looking forward to the competition, but I dont think were going to take points of Belgium or Sweden tbh, Italy honestly I think our best shot, but agree with you wouldnt be shocked by 3 losses, but wouldnt be surprised for us to get out of the group. I do think we will put up a much better showing this time.

This was the Irish team that started Euro 2012:

Rep of Ireland: Given, O'Shea, St. Ledger, Dunne, Ward, McGeady (Cox 54), Whelan, Andrews, Duff, Doyle (Walters 53), Keane (Long 75).

This is the team that beat Bosnia:

R. of Ireland
    Randolph, Coleman, Keogh, Clark, Brady, Whelan (O'Shea), McCarthy, Walters, Hoolahan (McClean), Hendrick, Murphy (Long)

The 2012 versions of Given, Dunne, Duff and Keane were pretty strong. Plus O'Shea and Whelan were 4 years younger.

I guess Coleman, Brady and McCarthy have developed well and could be considered upgrades on the 2012 team.

As Liam Brady would say, it's much of a muchness, Bill.

Given was injured and should never have played in 2012 finals. Keane was spent as a footballing force then too. Dunne had some good performances in him, as seen against Russia, but was on the downward slope of his career.

There is a world of difference between Trap and MON.

I wouldn't claim MON is great, but he maximised the resources available and he did the most important thing...he went to watch the players play and he made decisions (rightly or wrongly) based on that. Not on what videos were delivered to his villa, not on the basis of perceived slights, not on favouritism, not on language difficulties, not on reacting to media pressure. By the end of his reign with Ireland, Trap was a complete farce. Everything you need to remind yourself of the difference is captured by the following results...Ireland 1 Germany 6, Germany 1 Ireland 1, Ireland 1 Germany 0. Which is not to say that MON's regime was great or flawless, and of course the German team has changed too...but with Trap it was classic chickens coming home to roost.

Butland's injury for England may open up the door for Shay Given at Stoke

Assume if he gets some game time , and Forde doesn't, then he'll be in the squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Butland's injury for England may open up the door for Shay Given at Stoke

Assume if he gets some game time , and Forde doesn't, then he'll be in the squad.

Given was a great keeper for us but it's time for him to step aside

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭bren2001

Given was a great keeper for us but it's time for him to step aside

If he gets regular game time for Stoke between now and the Euro's he should be considered just like any other player. If hes the best on merit, he should start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Another defeat for the under 21's, this time to Slovenia, doesn't seem to be much conveyor belt of talent coming through.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Yeah the U21's have no hope of qualifying now. 7 goals shipped in the last two games against Italy and Slovenia says it all. Really doesn't bode well for the future especially considering we've been dire at nearly all underage levels for a good few years now. Apart from Jack Byrne, there doesn't seem to be anyone that looks good enough to go on and get a game for a PL side.

Euro 2016 could well be the last major competition we qualify for for a long time. In saying that though, I'm actually looking forward to WC2018 qualification as we have a fairly do-able group and will still have nearly all of the current squad (Long, Coleman, Brady, Hoolihan, Walters etc.) so I think we're in with a good shout there.

After that though, it looks a bit barren as our best players will either be finished or past their prime by Euro 2020 and we'll be reliant on the same lads who are currently struggling underage and shipping heavy beatings to pull out results.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭RickyOFlaherty

Cake Man wrote: »
    Yeah the U21's have no hope of qualifying now. 7 goals shipped in the last two games against Italy and Slovenia says it all. Really doesn't bode well for the future especially considering we've been dire at nearly all underage levels for a good few years now. Apart from Jack Byrne, there doesn't seem to be anyone that looks good enough to go on and get a game for a PL side.

Euro 2016 could well be the last major competition we qualify for for a long time. In saying that though, I'm actually looking forward to WC2018 qualification as we have a fairly do-able group and will still have nearly all of the current squad (Long, Coleman, Brady, Hoolihan, Walters etc.) so I think we're in with a good shout there.

After that though, it looks a bit barren as our best players will either be finished or past their prime by Euro 2020 and we'll be reliant on the same lads who are currently struggling underage and shipping heavy beatings to pull out results.

Roy Keane came from nowhere ... Robbie Keane exploded onto the scene with 2 goals on his debut for Wolves ... there is always hope that we might have some dumb luck

Roy Keane came from nowhere ... Robbie Keane exploded onto the scene with 2 goals on his debut for Wolves ... there is always hope that we might have some dumb luck

Was Robbie not part of a team that won an underage Euros and came 3rd in an underage World Cup ?

• Advertisement

I remember a thread pre O'Neill's appointment to the Ireland job and there was a lot of negativity towards his potential appointment on these pages back then, including from you among others. I'd wager a lot of that negativity that came from posters on here back then are now among the same posters predicting 3 defeats in the Euros for Ireland in France.

I was 100% confident that O'Neill would be a success as Ireland manager and I'm 100% confident we won't leave France empty handed. In fact I think we'll make a good bid to qualify.

Here's that thread I was referring to: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=87305208.

Go to post number 713 for a sample of your opinions. I used to be called Lennonist, closed that account and changed my username.

You were wrong then about predictions for Ireland under O'Neill, so there's a good chance you're wrong now.

I remember a thread pre O'Neill's appointment to the Ireland job and there was a lot of negativity towards his potential appointment on these pages back then, including from you among others. I'd wager a lot of that negativity that came from posters on here back then are now among the same posters predicting 3 defeats in the Euros for Ireland in France.

I was 100% confident that O'Neill would be a success as Ireland manager and I'm 100% confident we won't leave France empty handed. In fact I think we'll make a good bid to qualify.

Here's that thread I was referring to: http://m.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=87305208.

Go to post number 713 for a sample of your opinions. I used to be called Lennonist, closed that account and changed my username.

You were wrong then about predictions for Ireland under O'Neill, so there's a good chance you're wrong now.

Wow you are going to great lengths to try and convince us that Ireland will not come back empty handed and to try and prove me wrong about a opinion o had almost 3 years ago.

I'd be as delighted as the next person if they got out of the group, but as I said the idea of them losing a three games is not a crazy prediction.

As others have pointed out previously, in any other qualifying tournament the 3rd place finish would have left us at home.
    Yes they have had some great results v Germany, but they lost to both Scotland and Poland and the fact that Scotland lost to Georgia cannot be ignored.

I'm going to enjoy the tournament, but I'm not going to get too upset if we lose all 3 games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

To be honest, I was of that opinion. I think the football we play under O'Neill is absolutely dreadful but it's gotten us to the Euro's.

I've been hugely critical of the appointment but I'm being proved wrong and to tell you the truth, I'm happy to be proved wrong.

I still think O'Neill has his flaws including game management but despite the style of football we're playing, I think we have a much better chance in this tournament than the last time under Trap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭whatawaster81

I think our second season under O'Neill has shown an upward trajectory 4 wins 1 draw and a loss in Poland competitively. I think we'll be much more competitive than 2012 when whatever was going on in the camp the squad imploded.

I don't think we'll be hockeyed off the park this time out.

Cake Man wrote: »

Euro 2016 could well be the last major competition we qualify for for a long time........it looks a bit barren as our best players will either be finished or past their prime by Euro 2020 and we'll be reliant on the same lads who are currently struggling underage and shipping heavy beatings to pull out results.

This does seem like a logical conclusion to draw.

The only thing I'd say to disagree, is that we've been saying this for years and yet we keep coming back.

astonaidan wrote: »
    wouldnt be shocked by 3 losses, but wouldnt be surprised for us to get out of the group.

a-chance.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

No pleasing some people. For me, the most important thing you look for in a manager is that he gets the best out of the players available to him. With O'Neill you're guaranteed that and a bit more.

I know i'm hard to please.

I base my judgement on the games that I felt were vital during the campaign.
    Yes we had great results against a good German team.
    Yes we had poor results against a poor Scottish team. Poor mindset of manager in how we approached the Scottish games I felt,.
    The others I felt were on our level or below.

Great to get to the finals but i'm still not convinced about the management skills of MON. Just my opinion.

Hopefully I will be convinced during the Finals.

Wow you are going to great lengths to try and convince us that Ireland will not come back empty handed and to try and prove me wrong about a opinion o had almost 3 years ago.

I'd be as delighted as the next person if they got out of the group, but as I said the idea of them losing a three games is not a crazy prediction.

As others have pointed out previously, in any other qualifying tournament the 3rd place finish would have left us at home.
    Yes they have had some great results v Germany, but they lost to both Scotland and Poland and the fact that Scotland lost to Georgia cannot be ignored.

I'm going to enjoy the tournament, but I'm not going to get too upset if we lose all 3 games.

Wow is right, that thread linked there makes for interesting reading doesn't it Ted? Your username stuck in my mind because it's an inaccuracy as well:pac:. And sure enough when I thought of that thread pre O'Neill's appointment you were there among those carping about his potential appointment.

Fact is Scotland lost to Georgia but we beat them. Fact is we qualified. Fact is we are now playing with a level of composure and professionalism that is leading to confidence among the players whilst not losing the run of ourselves either.

We are well placed to take advantage of opportunities that may come our way in France. We will be punching our weight, or perhaps will punch above our weight, can the same be said for our opponents? That there is where we may be able to get places in the upcoming tournament.

Don't worry Ted we won't lose all 3 games, I'm delighted that you seem to think that we might though:).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I know i'm hard to please.

I base my judgement on the games that I felt were vital during the campaign.
    Yes we had great results against a good German team.
    Yes we had poor results against a poor Scottish team. Poor mindset of manager in how we approached the Scottish games I felt,.
    The others I felt were on our level or below.

Great to get to the finals but i'm still not convinced about the management skills of MON. Just my opinion.

Hopefully I will be convinced during the Finals.

You say Scotland are a poor team but at the time they were ahead of us in the rankings, we're not exactly Brazil.

For me O'Neill has done a good job so far. Great results against Germany both home and away. Played well against Bosnia in the qualifier.

Excellent team spirit and generally players playing at or above their limit.

We're not blessed with great players, don't have anyone regularly playing with a top 6 premier league team so he's done well with what he's got.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭RickyOFlaherty

Was Robbie not part of a team that won an underage Euros and came 3rd in an underage World Cup ?

nope that was Duff .. 1997 .. U20 World cup.. Keane made his Wolves debut and played for the U18s when they won the Euros in 1998

... ok .. actually we had a lot of decent youngsters that time .. although a lot didn't make it either..

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement