Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Keane and Doyle should no longer be part of the squad imo. Time to move on.

Didn't Keane retire after the Euros?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The previous poster said he wasn't sure, nor am i.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Frogdog

No, no official announcement yet. The only one to officially confirm was Given.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I wouldn't cry if Keane was still around the squad tbh. Especially versus the minnow in the group.

Really need O'Shea to stay on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Frogdog wrote: »
    No, no official announcement yet. The only one to officially confirm was Given.

Keane will start vs Oman and retire after it.

Unless he comes out this week with the announce meant I don't think he'll play and retire after the game as I don't think the FAI would pass up the chance to make a few quid by marketing the game as peoples last chance to see him play for Ireland.

In other news John O'Shea has went off injured during the Sunderland but no word on how bad it is yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Matic and Kolorov suspended for next Mondays match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Yeah that's been the case since the end of the last Euro qualifying campaign when they both picked up red cards. Will gladly take any help we can get as Kolorov and Matic would be definite starters for them. Still, they have other decent players in Dusan Tadic, Zoran Tosic, Aleksandar Mitrovic, Branislav Ivanovic and Liverpool duo Markovic and Grujic so it won't be easy. Belgrade is as intimidating as they come as well.

In saying all the above, I'd still be a bit disappointed if we were to lose the game. The names above are all decent on paper with most playing for top clubs but they generally perform average enough and IMO no better or worse than what we've got. We're usually good for a draw in these types of games too and coming off the back of a decent Euros, confidence should still be high enough. 0-0 or 1-1 most likely result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Trond wrote: »
    Matic and Kolorov suspended for next Mondays match.

Monday week btw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Adam Llajic out now i'd say as well. Stretchered off in his match for Torino yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

What do ye think lads? Who has the best chance of getting called up?

https://www.balls.ie/football/players-martin-oneill-should-consider/343838

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

What do ye think lads? Who has the best chance of getting called up?

https://www.balls.ie/football/players-martin-oneill-should-consider/343838

You could make a case for all those players but I reckon Cunningham Doherty Mason and Houirhan will get the nod.
    Surprised Hogan isn't mentioned.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

yabadabado wrote: »
    You could make a case for all those players but I reckon Cunningham Doherty Mason and Houirhan will get the nod.
    Surprised Hogan isn't mentioned.

Likewise with Chris Forrester, although I must admit I haven't exactly been keeping tabs on his progress this season so maybe he doesn't deserve to be mentioned after! :D

Wilberto wrote: »
    Likewise with Chris Forrester, although I must admit I haven't exactly been keeping tabs on his progress this season so maybe he doesn't deserve to be mentioned after! :D

I suppose all the players mentioned are playing at a higher level than Forrester (McNamara debatable) but it would be no harm if he was called into the extended squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Shane duffy got the winner for Blackburn tonight in extra time in the league cup, badly needed after a disastrous few weeks.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Shane duffy got the winner for Blackburn tonight in extra in the league cup, badly needed after a disastrous few weeks.

He's at least trying to be the next Richard Dunne at least. In fairness, Dunne isn't a bad player for one to model himself on. :D:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I was disappointed to read that Jack Byrne was subbed at 56 minutes when they were losing at the time. Dunno if he took a knock but it's not encouraging.

In better news Shodipo played the full 90 in QPR's win over Rochdale and from looking at tweets, he did well. Also Eoin Doyle came on for Preston and had a goal and an assist as they beat Oldham 2-0.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

I was disappointed to read that Jack Byrne was subbed at 56 minutes when they were losing at the time. Dunno if he took a knock but it's not encouraging.

In better news Shodipo played the full 90 in QPR's win over Rochdale and from looking at tweets, he did well. Also Eoin Doyle came on for Preston and had a goal and an assist as they beat Oldham 2-0.

On the Byrne thing I can't comment as didn't watch the game only saw live text. Hopefully it's just a case of taking him off due to the fact that he has played a lot recently and may have been tired.

So far he is doing very well, and the fact that he has now become a starter is very promising. Could be a very big season for him.

On Shodipo I haven't seen much of him myself but as you said the QPR fans on twitter etc are giving him a lot of praise.

Yeah I'm probably reading too much into Byrne being subbed. He's probably the one player I'm desperate to see succeed because of the position he plays.

• Advertisement

Yeah I'm probably reading too much into Byrne being subbed. He's probably the one player I'm desperate to see succeed because of the position he plays.

Completely agree, he has been one of the most exciting prospects for a while.

If he continues his progress it would be brilliant. Even though he is only 20 years old I can definitely see him breaking into the team over the next year or two. He could go on to have a very impressive and important career for us.

Also anyone at all hear anything about Lawlor?

I have heard and found nothing on him. It is clear he's behind Gunn for Man City but I'm not seeing anything about him being loaned out. Bit worrying I have to say.

Jaysus that Ireland squad just smacks of pure laziness. No one new called up and we are crying out for new blood.

Republic of Ireland squad to face Oman (31 August) and Serbia (5 September):

Goalkeepers: Randolph, Westwood, Forde
    Defenders: Christie, Coleman, Keogh, O’Shea, Pearce, Wilson, Clark, McShane, Ward
    Midfielders: Brady, McCarthy, Hendrick, Arter, Kane, Whelan, Meyler, Quinn, McGeady, McClean, O’Dowda, Hoolahan
    Forwards: Keane, Long, Murphy, Walters

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Wonder how likely Coleman is to be fit to play against Serbia

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

I thought Conor Hourihane would have been called up, even if were just for Oman.

Perhaps if that game's the final game for Keane then it's a glorified testimonial and not the right time for new call ups, nor is Serbia away either I suppose :pac:

There is no ideal time to call up uncapped players but we need new blood in that squad asap and Oman at home is as good a time as any.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

yabadabado wrote: »
    There is no ideal time to call up uncapped players but we need new blood in that squad asap and Oman at home is as good a time as any.

Seems an awful waste of a handy fixture not to introduce new talent and give them experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Called it. Wish McGeady would follow him. The deadest of deadwood in the squad.,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Disappointing squad announcement. I understand that he's probably being loyal to those who got us past the group stages in France but a friendly vs Oman should have included 2-3 new additions.

Forrester, Jack Byrne, Hourihan (not sure if I spelled his name correctly).

I don't really want to see a whole new squad but now should have been the perfect time to have them in the set up, get a feel for the training sessions and the preparation for match day.

O'Shea and McShane have no business at international level anymore.

The problem I have is some of the lads called up have been called up numerous times before and will get no game time.MON knows exactly what they offer and he should have brought in 2 or 3 new faces and get a good look at them.Surely there is more merit bringing in Egan and Cunningham for Pearce and Mcshane for example. Hogan or Mason should be given a run as we are threadbare in attack.

Chances are there will be no uncapped players called up before this year.

There should be more youth. I just spent the past few minutes looking at the ages of the players in the squad. The average age of the squad is 29. (When you remove Robbie Keane, it remains the same - 28.62)

Only 5 players in the squad are aged 25 or younger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

What is the point of having Forde in the squad? Surely theres some young keeper who would benefit more?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭Alfa Quadrifoglio

Conor Hourihane should be in the squad for sure, captain of Barnsley, great season last year and off to a good start this year in the Championship, disappointing to see him not included.
    Patrick McEleney has been superb in Dundalk's six Champions League games this year and will be a star in their Europa League Group stage matches to come. He was particularily outstanding in the brilliant 3-0 win over BATE Borisov in Tallaght, hes from Derry and has played for the Republics U19's, deserved a squad place for this friendly.

Going against the grain here but we'll already be playing Keane vs Oman and he will have no.role in the WCQs.

I don't see huge merit in trying brand new players in a friendly which is going to have so much fanfare and occasion to it with Serbia coming up so soon after. I don't see what we could possibly learn that could have a bearing on the Serbia game.

These qualifiers have come around very quickly. I think its more important to have a bit of time with the settled squad.

noodler wrote: »
    Going against the grain here but we'll already be playing Keane vs Oman and he will have no.role in the WCQs.

I don't see huge merit in trying brand new players in a friendly which is going to have so much fanfare and occasion to it with Serbia coming up so soon after. I don't see what we could possibly learn that could have a bearing on the Serbia game.

These qualifiers have come around very quickly. I think its more important to have a bit of time with the settled squad.

While a valid point I think so many are annoyed or frustrated due to the fact that there are many young Irish players out there who deserve a call up and it would be beneficial to give them international experience.

I'm all for having a stable settled squad, but personally find it rather disappointing that no real changes or efforts were made to even give one two players a chance of some experience.

I know he is being loyal to players for him but it's a bit worrying looking at the squad called up. Something especially worrying for me is the fact that only one of our forward players called up is under 30 years old, and he's 29.

It doesn't strike confidence into many for the future of the team when you look at older players who are not that pivotal to the squad anymore like Daryl Murphy, Paul McShane, Stephen Quinn, even Aiden McGeady in my eyes, a man not consider in his clubs squad and so far not attracting much interest from anyone else, getting called up over the young promising players we've seen performing well for their clubs.

Lads like McShane and Pearce weren't deemed good enough for the Euros yet they are back in the squad when it seems obvious to bring in a few of the younger lads and see what they are about.
    We have a couple of younger players at championship level who would benefit from getting called up instead the same faces are there and most likely they won't even make the bench v Serbia.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Serbia is a huge game for us, one we could very easily lose. Now is not the time to be experimenting with squad selection. The squad named is for both the Oman and Serbia games not just the Oman friendly. If the squad was just for the friendly match then I would agree with everyone.

Kingp35 wrote: »
    Serbia is a huge game for us, one we could very easily lose. Now is not the time to be experimenting with squad selection. The squad named is for both the Oman and Serbia games not just the Oman friendly. If the squad was just for the friendly match then I would agree with everyone.

This argument of not experimenting seems to come up every time there is a lack of youth and chances given to our squads.

Yes Serbia will be a tough game and no one is suggesting we throw out a load of untested players making their debuts.

We have however a 28 man squad. It's a big squad where half the players called up won't see any time against Serbia. Why bring up some of the usual old reserves and bench players who won't be used in the Serbia game? Surely two to three places in the 28 man squad at least could be used to bring in some promising players and give them a runout for the friendly.

The fact that no chance has been given to some of the young lads to get some game time in the friendly or even the experience of a call up and gel with the current squad is very disappointing and frustrating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Don't think now is the time to be experimenting with the team especially with the qualifiers next week.

The Serbia game is huge and could be crucial in deciding the outcome of the group. Our first team are struggling to get game time at club level so hopefully will all start to get that match sharpness.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Don't think now is the time to be experimenting with the team especially with the qualifiers next week.

The Serbia game is huge and could be crucial in deciding the outcome of the group. Our first team are struggling to get game time at club level so hopefully will all start to get that match sharpness.

Again would it be that much of "experimentation" to have not called up someone like McShane and given a chance to a young player to get some well needed experience?

It's a 28 man squad like I said before. Half the players won't play against Serbia and some won't play at all against Oman. People here and elsewhere aren't calling for us to be giving 10 players debuts or something, it's a reasonably expectation that at least 1-3 players who have been doing well would get some experience being around the squad and some minutes versus Oman.

How anyone can justify not giving any of the young players who have been doing well a call up, not even one because we shouldn't "experiment" is not right in my eyes.

Giving 1-3 spots of a 28 man squad that includes a friendly to young players who are performing well is not some "experiment" which keeps being thrown around, it's the natural order and progression of an international football team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Very disappointing to see that squad. Pointless to see some of the same names who won't see the pitch over the international break.

• Advertisement

I kinda agree with you on this one. While I've said it before that new players need to bee called up to the squad to replace some of the older lads and players who are called up but never used, I don't see the point in calling in any new players unless it's done on a consistent bases. No point calling up three or four lads for a gloried training exercise against Oman to never be seen again until the next friendly rolls around in three months time or next year.

The one pick who I really don't get is Aiden bloody McGeady, does this guy have incriminating photos of MON of something that he's consistently picked even though he's not wanted at Everton and even Sheffield Wednesday dropped him after awhile and didn't use him in any of the play-off games.

But in other news it looks like Shane Duffy has moved from Blackburn to Brighton for €4million. Hopefully the change in scenery and manager gets him back playing well again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

That_Guy wrote: »
    Forrester, Jack Byrne, Hourihan (not sure if I spelled his name correctly).
    Forrester is 23 and playing for a mid-table club in League 1.

Jack Byrne is playing central midfield for a team rooted to the bottom of the Championship.

Hourihane is 25 and is only now playing his first season in the Championship.

I know people are sick seeing some of the same old faces, but MON can (and should) pick players on merit. Out of the player listed above, you certainly could definitively say they deserve to be in the squad on merit.

Was there a dedicated thread on Robbie Keane's retirement?

Anyone know what the ticket situation is like for Oman now?

I'd like to go pay my respects to someone who gave me the happiest moment of my football fan life, a couple of absolutely amazing moments and dozens of smaller ones!

Was there a dedicated thread on Robbie Keane's retirement?

Anyone know what the ticket situation is like for Oman now?

I'd like to go pay my respects to someone who gave me the happiest moment of my football fan life, a couple of absolutely amazing moments and dozens of smaller ones!

Be no hassle getting a ticket,plenty on TM or you could just pick one up on Wednesday evening TM usually have a ticket booth beside Berkley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Disappointing not to see a few new faces in the squad but as a few others have said no point in picking lads just for the sake of it. We had a good tournament and a lot of players have enhanced their reputation in an Irish shirt, still might be a bit early to call up a lot of players with the potential to line out for us in the future, Jack Byrne will undoubtedly be a regular in our midfield in the future but I'd like to see him get a decent chunk of games under his belt in a tough championship before he's selected in our squads regularly.

McGeady is probably the only player in the squad that I have a real issue with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Conor Hourihane should be in the squad for sure, captain of Barnsley, great season last year and off to a good start this year in the Championship, disappointing to see him not included.
    Patrick McEleney has been superb in Dundalk's six Champions League games this year and will be a star in their Europa League Group stage matches to come. He was particularily outstanding in the brilliant 3-0 win over BATE Borisov in Tallaght, hes from Derry and has played for the Republics U19's, deserved a squad place for this friendly.

McEleney is Northern Irish no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Forrester is 23 and playing for a mid-table club in League 1.

Jack Byrne is playing central midfield for a team rooted to the bottom of the Championship.

Hourihane is 25 and is only now playing his first season in the Championship.

I know people are sick seeing some of the same old faces, but MON can (and should) pick players on merit. Out of the player listed above, you certainly could definitively say they deserve to be in the squad on merit.

Forrester is making a very good impression across the pond. Captain of Peterborough and he was only there 11 months. Top championship clubs looking at him. Playing regularly. League 1 is a decent standard, comparable with some of the top tier Scottish football...his worth s look against oman

Can represent the Republic also, think he played with the underage teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭Alfa Quadrifoglio

He's from Derry but has played for Republics U19's, he is a real talent with a great attitude. His contribution to Dundalks first and second goal against BATE Borisov in the Champions League was outstanding.
    Would not be surprised if Michael O'Neill, who managed Rovers to the Europa League Group stages and knows the League of Ireland, was tracking him for Northern Ireland.

• Advertisement

sugarman wrote: »
    Our U21's are playing 2 qualifiers over the same period which most of these lads mentioned are part of. They cant be in both squads. Im sure MON is keeping tabs on everyone.

He called up Jack byrne to train with the senior squad and felt he wasnt ready.
    Of the players the majority here mentioned who we felt deserved a call up its only Jack Byrne who is involved with the U21 squad.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement