Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

sugarman wrote: »
    and O'Connell

Was reading the previous squad:p

But still, point being. None of them have done anything worthy of a call up yet.

There should be friendlies schuduled for November and March, so plenty of time there and between after the season progresses a bit.
    I wouldn't have O'Connell near a squad yet or Byrne for that matter but there was definitely a case for 2 or 3 others to be called in imo.

No friendly games scheduled until June unless that changes in the coming weeks/months.Games are coming very quick 4 qualifiers in the next 11 weeks.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

The Squad named for Oman & Serbia excluding Keane who will retire had these 3 players listed as forwards

Shane Long
    Jonathan Walters
    Daryl Murphy

Murphy is thirthy three and a half years old & Walters plays primarily in a midfield role for Ireland albeit one that supports the strikers.

Other players listed by Wiki as recent call ups include Doyle (32 & now playing in the states and declining for a few years) and McGoldrick, Stokes, Cox & Adam Rooney all of whom should be in their prime at the moment but are at best championship standard and none of whom do I rate as having potential for Ireland.

If Shane Long gets injured we are F*cked!

I am sure Walters (almost 33) would move up front but we desperately need young forwards being found, brought through, in the squad etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Full U21 squad. Glad to see Shopido in there.

Daniel Rogers (Aberdeen - on loan at Falkirk)
    Liam Bossin (RSC Anderlecht)
    Tommie Hoban (Watford - on loan at Blackburn)
    Darragh Lenihan (Blackburn Rovers)
    Kevin Toner (Aston Villa - on loan at Walsall)
    Sean Hoare (St Patrick's Athletic)
    Glen Rea (Luton Town)
    Eoghan O'Connell (Celtic)
    Sean Kavanagh (Fulham)
    Joshua Cullen (West Ham - on loan at Bradford)
    Alan Browne (Preston North End)
    Connor Dimiao (Chesterfield)
    Kevin O'Connor (Cork City)
    Jack Byrne (Manchester City - on loan at Blackburn)
    Harry Charsley (Everton)
    Sean Maguire (Cork City)
    Courtney Duffus (Everton)
    Dylan Connolly (Bray Wanderers)
    Reece Grego-Cox (QPR)
    Olamide Shopido (QPR)
    Jake Mulraney (Inverness Caley Thistle)

That U21 squad is pretty good of course King will probably make a complete shamples of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Who's the goalie at Anderlecht? Is he getting a game at all?

• Advertisement

The Squad named for Oman & Serbia excluding Keane who will retire had these 3 players listed as forwards

Shane Long
    Jonathan Walters
    Daryl Murphy

Murphy is thirthy three and a half years old & Walters plays primarily in a midfield role for Ireland albeit one that supports the strikers.

Other players listed by Wiki as recent call ups include Doyle (32 & now playing in the states and declining for a few years) and McGoldrick, Stokes, Cox & Adam Rooney all of whom should be in their prime at the moment but are at best championship standard and none of whom do I rate as having potential for Ireland.

If Shane Long gets injured we are F*cked!

I am sure Walters (almost 33) would move up front but we desperately need young forwards being found, brought through, in the squad etc

With the striker options we have I was surprised Mason or Hogan didnt get a call up.At least take a close look at them,we must find a striker asap ,neither might be good enough but no harm looking.

Its probably already been done but Bamford should be asked if he is interested.He has gone off the boil the last 12 months but is a very good players just needs a good move now.

Bossin ,he doesnt get his game but thats not surprising for a keeper who just turned 20.Hes probably 3rd choice now so may need to go on loan to get time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Daryl Murphy gone to Newcastle, great move!

They've also signed Alan Judge I think but won't be moving till January because of his injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

But in other news it looks like Shane Duffy has moved from Blackburn to Brighton for €4million. Hopefully the change in scenery and manager gets him back playing well again.

That's a very interesting move that I only noticed when I saw today's starting line-ups and he will partner Dunk away at Newcastle. I think you're right about the change of scenery and I'd trust Hughton to get the best out of him. Blackburn has turned into a toxic club and going to Brighton is like winning the lottery for Shane.

That's a very interesting move that I only noticed when I saw today's starting line-ups and he will partner Dunk away at Newcastle. I think you're right about the change of scenery and I'd trust Hughton to get the best out of him. Blackburn has turned into a toxic club and going to Brighton is like winning the lottery for Shane.

Yeah it's such a shame that things aren't working out at Blackburn as they have a number of Irish lads playing with them

Looking at the squad again and noticed that Hendricks was included, isn't he suspended for the 'Serbia game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

No his only 19. Anderlecht paid decent money for him from a Brussels based club a few years back

Is it tho he'll be their 3-4 striker and will be looking for a new club next summer or not getting any minutes in the premiership next season

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Is it tho he'll be their 3-4 striker and will be looking for a new club next summer or not getting any minutes in the premiership next season

Yeah, to me it's quite a strange signing. I mean, it's not like he's a David Connolly type player who's almost guaranteed to get you promoted to the premier, but never actually good enough to play there himself!

I hope he's on good money there because at least that'll be a plus for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Debil

Have any questions been put to the FAI about what they are getting for these Oman friendlies? Oman has a horrid human rights record, and we shouldn't be giving them the light of day. Is the Sultan of Oman giving free ham shandies to yer man who's seeing the queen or what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Debil wrote: »
    Have any questions been put to the FAI about what they are getting for these Oman friendlies? Oman has a horrid human rights record, and we shouldn't be giving them the light of day. Is the Sultan of Oman giving free ham shandies to yer man who's seeing the queen or what?
    :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Debil

Money, someone reliable told me they received in the region on €250k last time we played them.
    :pac:

I know it's unlikely that people will be allowed ask questions about it, but it's strange that nobody is writing about it.

It's usual practice that money exchanges hands for a friendly as far as I know, but surely when it is against a country like Oman, some Journos should be questioning the moral aspects of the decision. At least it would put some pressure on them.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/ucd-teenager-dylan-watts-on-the-brink-of-fairytale-move-to-leicester-city-35000897.html

Dylan Watts, one of the stars of UCD's Europa League campaign last year, is poised to sign for England's Premier League champions, Leicester City for an undisclosed fee. He is expected to make his debut on Tuesday for Leicester's U-23 development team if the transfer goes through on time.

UCD manager Collie O'Neill, who introduced Watts to UCD's first team last year, has high hopes for the 19-year-old, who completed his Leaving Cert in June. "He is a confident player, who displays no nerves no matter how big the occasion," he said.
    "He has great feet, is very comfortable on the ball, and has great courage, always wanting to get on the ball. He has a great future ahead of him, and if he continues to make the progress he has made in the last two years I see no reason why he can't make the Irish team."

Two years ago Watts wasn't even a regular with UCD's reserve team when O'Neill promoted him to their League of Ireland team. "In our Europa League games last year, I thought Dylan and Robbie Benson were our two best players," said the UCD boss, who is preparing for another big game at Belfield this evening (6.0) against leaders Limerick.
    Watts, who is a former St Joseph's, Sallynoggin and St Kevin's player, is at his best, O'Neill said, when he is "given a licence to roam". While UCD are satisfied with the proposed fee, the add-ons for appearances, caps and possible transfers, if they kick in, is where the Students will profit.

• When is the squad to be announced?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    When is the squad to be announced?

Squad was announced last week,see previous page for details.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Squad was announced last week,see previous page for details.

Sorry thanks Man

• Advertisement

• sugarman wrote: »

I'd hope he's a cert to start.
    Agree good move.

I'd hope he's a cert to start.
    Agree good move.

I doubt he is but he brings great experience with him and should score plenty when hes picked.2 year contact so probably a nice pay day to finish off his career.

• Talk of Hull interest in Jeff Hendrick

Talk of Hull interest in Jeff Hendrick

I doubt it given their transfers to date.

Last rejected Burnley bid was over £7million...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

Trond wrote: »

Would be great to see him get a good move into the top flight before the transfer window closes on Wednesday.

Apparently Hull have bid £10million and he's having a medical tomorrow.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Going for £10m as per the transfer thread

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Dundalks Gary Rogers called up to Ireland squad. Apparently Forde returned back to Portsmouth to fight for his place.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2016/0830/812914-dundalks-rogers-called-into-ireland-squad/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Lads does anyone know will the season ticket drop in price after the game tomorrow . As in to buy it for the remaining games

• Advertisement

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Dundalks Gary Rogers called up to Ireland squad. Apparently Forde returned back to Portsmouth to fight for his place.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2016/0830/812914-dundalks-rogers-called-into-ireland-squad/

It is nice to see lads within the loi getting recognition but he's gonna be 35 next month, why not bring up someone like Slingerman whose 25 and young enough to improve to maybe one day actually play a few games or Ian Lawlor whose still young and finished with the 21s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Rogers replaces Portsmouth’s David Forde after he opted to return to his club to ensure he doesn’t lose his place as first-choice goalkeeper at Fratton Park.

I've never heard of a goalkeeper turning down an international because he is afraid his place might be taken when he gets back. Bizarre, and doesn't say much for his confidence.

As for Rogers, I thought he looked dodgy in the European ties I saw.

What's the story with Rob Elliot? Is he still recovering from his injury?

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭xredmanlfcx

I've a spare ticket for tomorrow in South Stand Lower block 112 if anyone wants it. €10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

I've a spare ticket for tomorrow in South Stand Lower block 112 if anyone wants it. €10.

ah for the sake of a tenner give it away !

but let them buy pints all night!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Fair play to LA Galaxy; front page ad taken out in the times congratulating Robbie Keane on his international career

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭R00ster

Is there anywhere near the ground I could leave a ticket for someone who's running late to collect?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

R00ster wrote: »
    Is there anywhere near the ground I could leave a ticket for someone who's running late to collect?

Try the mount Herbert

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Staff in Slatterys and The Bath are sound so I doubt they would have a problem if you leave ticket in an envelope to be collected.
    Boylesports beside Slatterys probably be sound with it too.

Any news of tonight's line up as yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Any news of tonight's line up as yet?

maybe something like this:

Al Habsi, Al Musalami, Al Rawahi, Al Yaqoubi, Raed Ibrahim Saleh, Hussain Ali Al Hadhri, Abdul Aziz Al Muqbali, Ahmed Al Mahajri, Abdul Salam Al Mukhaini, Mohsin Al-Khaldi, Harib Al Saad

maybe something like this:

Al Habsi, Al Musalami, Al Rawahi, Al Yaqoubi, Raed Ibrahim Saleh, Hussain Ali Al Hadhri, Abdul Aziz Al Muqbali, Ahmed Al Mahajri, Abdul Salam Al Mukhaini, Mohsin Al-Khaldi, Harib Al Saad

download.php?meme=Oh-man-Are-you-serious-meme-37873

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

BBC confirming Hendrick to Burnley. Great to see him playing in the Prem, even it's just for one season.

download.php?meme=Oh-man-Are-you-serious-meme-37873

pamyup.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Yes, it's only on Eir 1. Rte 2 only have highlights later on.

Team named:
    Westwood, Christie, Wilson, Clark, Brady, Quinn, Whelan, Arter, Long, Keane, Walters

Stevecw wrote: »
    Yes, it's only on Eir 1. Rte 2 only have highlights later on.

Team named:
    Westwood, Christie, Wilson, Clark, Brady, Quinn, Whelan, Arter, Long, Keane, Walters

Don't know why he persists with Keane.............well past it.

BBC confirming Hendrick to Burnley. Great to see him playing in the Prem, even it's just for one season.

In a midfield with dafour of Belgium solid player who he can learn from

In a midfield with dafour of Belgium solid player who he can learn from

yeah, I imagine it will be between him and Marney for that spot now.

Preston North End have signed Republic of Ireland international winger Aiden McGeady on loan from the remainder of the season.

Also, Shane O'Neill (nephew of Maurice Fitz, the Kerry GAA player) has moved to Breda in the Netherlands for a season loan.
    Not sure if relevant as he's represented USA underage, but is born in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

McCarthy confirmed as out for Monday.

Three from Hendrick, Whelan, Quinn and Hooloahan?

Assuming Walters will be right side and Long up front on his own.

noodler wrote: »
    McCarthy confirmed as out for Monday.

Three from Hendrick, Whelan, Quinn and Hooloahan?

Assuming Walters will be right side and Long up front on his own.

I would go with Whelan Henrick and Arter.
    Walters and Brady on the flanks with Long up front.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement