Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

yabadabado wrote: »
    I would go with Whelan Henrick and Arter.
    Walters and Brady on the flanks with Long up front.

Isn't Hendricks also suspended? Thought he picked up a number of yellows at the Euros and would have missed the next match had Ireland beat France.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Isn't Hendricks also suspended? Thought he picked up a number of yellows at the Euros and would have missed the next match had Ireland beat France.

Only applies for the Euros, clean slate now

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Hendrick is available,those suspensions are for the tournament only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Hendrick is available,those suspensions are for the tournament only.

Cheers, so picking up yellow cards only count for the tournaments and stuff. Thought he was suspended along with Duffy but thankfully not.

Cheers, so picking up yellow cards only count for the tournaments and stuff. Thought he was suspended along with Duffy but thankfully not.

Henrick had a accumulation of yellows but Duffy got a red card.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭xredmanlfcx

Henrick had a accumulation of yellows but Duffy got a red card.

2 yellows. Which is ridiculously harsh. The rule cost Wales a place in the final as Ramsey was banned for the semi, having been booked only twice in 5 games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

I would go with Whelan Henrick and Arter.
    Walters and Brady on the flanks with Long up front.

Wouldn't mind seeing Wes start the game (alongside Hendrick and Whelan). We should be going there to win.

The Serbs lost at home to Albania and Denmark in the last qualifying group, and will probably lose at home to at least one of our group rivals, such as Wales or Austria.

I'd go with

Randalph

Christie
    Clark
    Keogh (if fit - otherwise Wilson)
    Ward

Walters
    Hendrick
    Whelan
    Hoolihan
    Brady

Long

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

2 yellows. Which is ridiculously harsh. The rule cost Wales a place in the final as Ramsey was banned for the semi, having been booked only twice in 5 games.

I think its fair to say on the evidence of the semi final Portugal would more than likely have won than loss, regardless of Ramsey (who I also aknowledge was their player of the tournament). It's all if and buts but Portugal were much the better team that night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

I think its fair to say on the evidence of the semi final Portugal would more than likely have won than loss, regardless of Ramsey (who I also aknowledge was their player of the tournament). It's all if and buts but Portugal were much the better team that night

It's the same rules for everybody.
    for example, Willy Carvalho was suspended for Portugal that day, Pepe was injured and so on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Ciaran Clark doesn't deserve a place in the team until he proves otherwise. Hope O'Neill has learned his lesson from starting him in the Euros.

Hardly ,he was a loss for sure but that's a stretch.

2 yellow cards over a whole tournament is ridiculous tbf. Should be extended after the group stage.

GLaDOS wrote: »
    2 yellow cards over a whole tournament is ridiculous tbf. Should be extended after the group stage.

All yellow cards should be cleared after the 3 group games and I'd like to see all cards cleared in the semi at least that way you only miss the final then is a red which is fair enough imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

I thought Wilson was brutal last night given the circumstances. Wouldnt trust him in the middle at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

sugarman wrote: »
    Fairly harsh, no?

Himself and Keogh were excellent in the playoffs that got us there.

Very unfortunate against Sweden.

I don't think it is.

Also cost us versus Austria before.

Really.not sure about him at CB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Ronan Raver77

McCarthy out of Serbia game.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

All yellow cards should be cleared after the 3 group games and I'd like to see all cards cleared in the semi at least that way you only miss the final then is a red which is fair enough imo.

I'm fairly certain that this is already the case and was in existence at the Euros as well. :)

Can someone explain to me why Oman???????? Every pre qualifiers friendly for last three tournaments has been against them?

What sort of money are the FAI pocketing? I have never seen such a bizarre relationship?

Wilberto wrote: »
    I'm fairly certain that this is already the case and was in existence at the Euros as well. :)

Is it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Ireland U-21s beat Slovenia 2-0 tonight with both goals coming in the last few minutes. Everton's Harry Charsley and Cork City's Sean Maguire (a peno that he won) with the goals.

QPR's Olamide Shodipo made his debut in the game. It's been discussed on this thread in the past that Nigeria are an option for him too (rumoured that his mother wants him to play for them) but it seems he enjoyed his experience:

https://twitter.com/MideSho/status/771831413876330496

Also was a debut for Everton striker Courtney Duffus who was born in England but is with us and seemingly happy to be involved:

https://twitter.com/courtneyduffus/status/771823327774056448

He has a brother called Tyrone, also at Everton, who I'm assuming must also be eligible for us. Seems like there's plenty of Irish talent to keep an eye on at Everton.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Ireland U-21s beat Slovenia 2-0 tonight with both goals coming in the last few minutes. Everton's Harry Charsley and Cork City's Sean Maguire (a peno that he won) with the goals.

QPR's Olamide Shodipo made his debut in the game. It's been discussed on this thread in the past that Nigeria are an option for him too (rumoured that his mother wants him to play for them) but it seems he enjoyed his experience:

https://twitter.com/MideSho/status/771831413876330496

Also was a debut for Everton striker Courtney Duffus who was born in England but is with us and seemingly happy to be involved:

https://twitter.com/courtneyduffus/status/771823327774056448

He has a brother called Tyrone, also at Everton, who I'm assuming must also be eligible for us. Seems like there's plenty of Irish talent to keep an eye on at Everton.

Doesn't this mean they've to play for Ireland now? Happened last week for England, wanted to call up somebody but they'd played for France U21. Can't remember who it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,182 ✭✭✭Guffy

Mushy wrote: »
    Doesn't this mean they've to play for Ireland now? Happened last week for England, wanted to call up somebody but they'd played for France U21. Can't remember who it was.

No they have to be capped at senior competitive level

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

Former Stoke player Steve Nzonzi

justshane wrote: »
    Former Stoke player Steve Nzonzi

Ah yes, that was a special case though. He was capped by the french u21 before he was eligible for england which meant he didn't qualify afaik

gufc21 wrote: »

No they have to be capped at senior competitive level

That's what I thought until I heard this story. Of course they could be leaving the story short somewhat.

We actually have a decent U21 side ,pity King is in charge of it.The man is clueless.

MON and the backroom staff were at the game which is good to see,supposed to have left with 5 minutes to go:eek:

That's what I thought until I heard this story. Of course they could be leaving the story short somewhat.

Ya.. he wasn't eligble for england when he was capped at u21.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

We actually have a decent U21 side ,pity King is in charge of it.The man is clueless.

MON and the backroom staff were at the game which is good to see,supposed to have left with 5 minutes to go:eek:

Was at the game myself. We were quite slow and only really got going during the last 10 or so mins. Few players will hopefully make the step up in the next few years

Probly no malice in Mon and the lads leaving early could of been they had to be back in Dublin quick ???. Nice to see Martin and Roy pose for pictures, sign autographs etc at ht

Ya.. he wasn't eligble for england when he was capped at u21.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/aug/28/sam-allardyce-steven-nzonzi-england-call-up-squad

This sounds like it would mean Odipo would be ineligible for Nigeria now cos of this cap at U21 though.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/aug/28/sam-allardyce-steven-nzonzi-england-call-up-squad

This sounds like it would mean Odipo would be ineligible for Nigeria now cos of this cap at U21 though.

But he was eligible to play for nigeria before he got the u21 cap.

Nzonzi qualified for england under the 5 year residency rule after getting the u21 cap.

Think about it Grealish had 5 or 6 irish u21 caps

• Advertisement

Re Nzonzi, the rule is if you have played for another nations under 21 but want to switch allegiance you must do it (declare it) (be capped) before your 21st birthday Nzonzi is now 27

that is provided you adhere to the normal rules of national eligibility.

But he was eligible to play for nigeria before he got the u21 cap.

Nzonzi qualified for england under the 5 year residency rule after getting the u21 cap.

Think about it Grealish had 5 or 6 irish u21 caps

This is what's confusing me, and it's probably easily understandable.

Yes he was eligible before the cap. In the Nzonzi case it says he wasn't eligble because of his U21 cap for France. Would this not mean Odipo would now not be eligible for anyone else?

I did think it needed to be a senior cap, just the Nzonzi thing has thrown me.

Yes he was eligible before the cap. In the Nzonzi case it says he wasn't eligble because of his U21 cap for France. Would this not mean Odipo would now not be eligible for anyone else?

read above.

read above.

Only saw that added post now, makes perfect sense. Che!

Only saw that added post now, makes perfect sense. Che!

worth 2 minutes of your time to fully understand it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIFA_eligibility_rules

read above.

Only saw that added post now, makes perfect sense. Cheers!

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Was at the game myself. We were quite slow and only really got going during the last 10 or so mins. Few players will hopefully make the step up in the next few years

Probly no malice in Mon and the lads leaving early could of been they had to be back in Dublin quick ???. Nice to see Martin and Roy pose for pictures, sign autographs etc at ht
    No malice at all just one of those things .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Stephen Nzonzi, think he'd played for the U21s in France before the rule changed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_UEFA_European_Under-21_Championship_qualification_Group_2

Probably the closest the U21's have been to progressing in a group that I can remember. Were they to win their last two games (they won't) they could sneak the playoffs spot as they have the H2H on Slovenia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

So coming 2nd won't guarantee a playoff place this time.

Gonna be very tough.

o8hcLCA.jpg

JustTheOne wrote: »
    So coming 2nd won't guarantee a playoff place this time.

Gonna be very tough.

Yeah 1 group misses out which is pretty sickening.

I don't think it will be "very " tough. We have came through tougher groups and confidence is high after the last year. The way I look at it is Wales, Serbia, Austria, Georgia, Moldova. All beatable. None of those games you would go into EXPECTING to lose. Home or away. Of course you could but you would be very disappointed ifor you couldnt at leat get a point away to the top few and take tgem at home. Its a very level playing field.

Christ, we haven't beaten Austria in 53 years! Thats a bit mad, Ted! No better time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Christ, we haven't beaten Austria in 53 years! Thats a bit mad, Ted! No better time!

Just reminded me of being at the 1995 game where we were leading with 20mins to go then Toni Polster (I think on as a sub?) scored that 10min hattrick to win it for them. Never forgot that glorious mullet of his. Some player but he really screwed us over that day.

• Advertisement

• Tough game tonight but Serbia are missing a few key players.
    Expecting to sneak a win. A draw wouldn't be bad result either.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭aodea

Its not the worst group in the world but Serbia, Austria and wales are all capable sides. The thing here is all these teams will take points off each other so it may affect the points total for second place sides.

I fancy Ireland against all these teams at home but we have 5 home games and will need to bring home 10+ points then also make sure we win games against Moldova and Georgia. Then you hope for one fantastic result away from home against Serbia, Wales or Austria. i think best chance of this comes tonight.

Wont be easy but confidence is high.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,238 ✭✭✭✭briany

Tough group. Not because they're all unbeatable sides but because they're all sort of unknown quantities. It's not like vs. Germany where you know they're a consistently great team. Wales, Austria and Serbia have looked utterly ordinary at times, but also have shown they know how to hurt teams who underestimate them.

I think Ireland has a good squad of players together now. For the first time in I don't know how long, the team's got something resembling a capable midfield and there are goal threats throughout the front 8 with Brady, Hendrick, McClean, Walters, Long and Hoolahan. Also players like Arter ready to break into the squad proper.

So, there's promise, but whether the team can realise it or fall into the championship hangover trap remains to be seen. I really would have preferred seeing the team face Moldova at home to ease them into this campaign. Away to Serbia is not the kind of cold start that excites me. Of course, if Ireland *can* get a result, then it leaves me and many others, feeling optimistic. I've a feeling this group will be decided by which teams falter more than which teams grab it by the scruff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Its time to start thinking "win" from the start. Go for it. There's a huge difference between 3 points and a solitary point. I always think you're better off thinking 3 points at the start of the campaign than looking for them at the end.

Odds for winning the group from Paddy Power, very tight between Austria, Wales and Serbia. We're a bit of an outside bet.

bfba65e7ceee691f9ca70367e54366be.png

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement