Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I actually think that was one of the worst away performances since Cyprus.

Harsh, and gotta give credit for the last ten, but atrocious from the 5th to 75th.

We did not deserve a draw.

We cannot take advantage of early goals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

I think the problem is o neill doesn't trust our players who want the ball like wes and quinn to also do the defensive side of the game and you have to see some sense in that.

Seems the thinking is that most international teams are pretty poor and if he gets 11 guys on the pitch that are physical and will graft then we might get a moment of skill out of the blue or a set piece that will win us the game.

Im not saying I agree with it but trapatoni, o neill and obviously keane seem to think its the only way this irish team can play. Yes we have proven in spells in games that we can play football but does anyone think we can get the RESULTS that we have been getting by playing out from defence and passing it through teams more technically gifted than us? ( which like it or not even lower ranked teams are )

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

tastyt wrote: »
    I think the problem is o neill doesn't trust our players who want the ball like wes and quinn to also do the defensive side of the game and you have to see some sense in that.

Seems the thinking is that most international teams are pretty poor and if he gets 11 guys on the pitch that are physical and will graft then we might get a moment of skill out of the blue or a set piece that will win us the game.

Im not saying I agree with it but trapatoni, o neill and obviously keane seem to think its the only way this irish team can play. Yes we have proven in spells in games that we can play football but does anyone think we can get the RESULTS that we have been getting by playing out from defence and passing it through teams more technically gifted than us? ( which like it or not even lower ranked teams are )

Trapattoni and O'Neill think that is the only way any team they manage can play.

I honestly think our results would be better if we tried to string a few passes together rather than played like we were scared of the ball and consequently invite wave after wave of pressure. O'Neill picks more skilful players and allows them to pass it more in the home games and the performances are much better because of it.

And you are wrong to portray that we are a technically limited side. We have a great group to select from in terms of technical ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Pro. F wrote: »
    Trapattoni and O'Neill think that is the only way any team they manage can play.

I honestly think our results would be better if we tried to string a few passes together rather than played like we were scared of the ball and consequently invite wave after wave of pressure. O'Neill picks more skilful players and allows them to pass it more in the home games and the 4performances are much better because of it.

And you are wrong to portray that we are a technically limited side. We have a great group to select from in terms of technical ability.

Wel have to agree to disagree on our technical ability, apart from hoolahan, brady,hendrick, maybe quinn and mcgeady I think we are a pretty limited bunch in comparison to other teams. I think our possession stats usually support this.

I do agree we are a better side when we try to play a bit more though

• Advertisement

We are technically limited.

But that pike of shire is not the limit of our abilities.

MON can't be that deluded despite his post game interview.

Really good chance for an away win. Work really cut out for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Taking a point out of Serbia on an awful pitch is an excellent start

Piss and moan about performance but it's a results business and the under dog achieved it today.

Not sure what people want, we played a way to get a result and it worked

Demand more from the home game but tonight job done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Our possession stats are poor because we are usually playing long ball crap.
    Plenty of the players have good technical ability.

tastyt wrote: »
    Wel have to agree to disagree on our technical ability, apart from hoolahan, hendrick, maybe quinn and mcgeady I think we are a pretty limited bunch

Wilson and Coleman for defenders. Then Brady, Arter, O'Kane and McCarthy just to name the more obvious ones further forward. Technical ability, suitable to passing the ball around a bit, is not in short supply in this group. But we rarely have any managers who trust players to pass it to each other.

Soups123 wrote: »
    Taking a point out of Serbia on an awful pitch is an excellent start

Piss and moan about performance but it's a results business and the under dog achieved it today.

Not sure what people want, we played a way to get a result and it worked

Demand more from the home game but tonight job done

Head in the sand stuff.

That went way beyond a "disciplined away performance".

75 minutes without the ball, an inability to make more than two consecutive passes, retreat upon retreat.

I've seen loads of away games where we didn't have a lot of possession and got something. This was far less disciplined and far less.ambitious whether it be down to tiredness or tactics.

• Advertisement

noodler wrote: »
    Head in the sand stuff.

That went way beyond a "disciplined away performance".

75 minutes without the ball, an inability to make more than two consecutive passes, retreat upon retreat.

I've seen loads of away games where we didn't have a lot of possession and got something. This was far less disciplined and far less.ambitious whether it be down to tiredness or tactics.

Nope no head in sand here just a realist, pitch was awful, we had a penalty against us that shouldn't, we scored 2 away goals, for all there possession Serbia did very little, they were favourites and we took a point.

Let's see how others fair there when the time comes. Games like this are 100% about result not performance

Nope no head in sand here just a realist, pitch was awful, we had a penalty against us that shouldn't, we scored 2 away goals, for all there possession Serbia did very little, they were favourites and we took a point.

Let's see how others fair there when the time comes. Games like this are 100% about result not performance

They hit the bar, had a shot saves at point blank, miscontrolled a tap in. They'd plenty of chances.

Letting the result cloud the piss poor performance there isn't being a realist.

Performance s like that need to be worked on and improved, it won't happen if it'd denied they even happened.

It's by far the luckiest I can remember us being in an away game relative to our performance.

How so?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Soups123 wrote:

Its true results are that matters but if we keep playing like tonight then those results will be losses. Got out of jail tonight

noodler wrote: »
    They hit the bar, had a shot saves at point blank, miscontrolled a tap in. They'd plenty of chances.

Letting the result cloud the piss poor performance there isn't being a realist.

Performance s like that need to be worked on and improved, it won't happen if it'd denied they even happened.

It's by far the luckiest I can remember us being in an away game relative to our performance.

We weren't as lucky as you make out, Serbia were they home team and favourites and lived up to that a bit, they scored one goal from play we scored two and missed some chances of our own.

It's wasn't a great performance but for the conditions it was played and the fact it's a results business, the job got done

Its true results are that matters but if we keep playing like tonight then those results will be losses. Got out of jail tonight

Agreed that performance won't wash for the home games but over the last two years this team have for some big results in big games, tonight was a job done result and performance

If we win our homes games and replicate away results like tonight against Wales and Austria I could give to f's how those away performances look

How so?

Do I have to explain that really or does the team that puts in the most appealing performance now qualify ahead of the teams with the most points?

Do I have to explain that really or does the team that puts in the most appealing performance now qualify ahead of the teams with the most points?

So the reason you say games like this are 100% about results and not performances is because qualification is based on results and not performances? Is that right?

So the reason you say games like this are 100% about results and not performances is because qualification is based on results and not performances? Is that right?

Yes

Yes

Right, well that logic applies to every single competitive game we play. So why do you want to treat home games differently to away games?

• Advertisement

Right, well that logic applies to every single competitive game we play. So why do you want to treat home games differently to away games?

I don't
    I was referring to fans wanting to see better performances. I'll take the decent pts at home to any team over performance every day of the week

Those who want to see better performances should demand it more for home games against better teams than the away leg but regardless points come first

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

We don't have loads of technical gifted players but we do have a good core group who are much better technically then we see in these type of games. We have players that can at least string 4 or 5 passes together at stages.

Our pass success rate was 56% tonight. That is a disgrace

I don't
    I was referring to fans wanting to see better performances. I'll take the decent pts at home to any team over performance every day of the week

Those who want to see better performances should demand it more for home games against better teams than the away leg but regardless points come first

Why should fans demand better performances at home?

• Some more thoughts;

If the ball was distributed to the midfield by a CB or by Whelan then Hendrick would have received much more of the ball.
    When he actually had the opportunity to be given possession he showed how strong he is physically. Couple of times he was well able to hold off two + players.

To the point of Whelan he doesn't have a role in this team from what I can see. This is not a Whelan bash either but if you intend on playing Brady and Hendrick in front of a holding midfielder you have to be willing to get possession and distribute it to them.
    I'd be interesting to know how many passes Whelan actually made in the whole match. I'd say it was maximum 10 - 15.
    Tbf to Whelan he was only ever going to gain possession by interceptions alone. Randoplh was never instructed to play out from the back. I counted 20+ times that Randoplh hoofed a ball to Shane Long.
    This is fine in moderation, if he can manage a knockdown or make a run in behind a defender but every time is just pointless.
    A knockdown was the only way Brady / Hendrick were ever going to get into the game.

Also, the illusion of Serbia playing a high pressing game was false. We just allowed them to have the ball.
    And it showed how shoddy they look when you actually pressurize them and play proper football.

I'm just a bit confused after what looked like O Neil had turned a corner at the Euros and started showing a bit of faith in constructive football but when I think back it was only a reaction to the fact that if we didn't have a go against Italy or France then we were out plain and simple.

This wasn't a "defensive" performance either. There are ways to be ultra defensive and still play some proper football when the opportunity presents itself.
    Directive to consistently hoof the ball is not one of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

We weren't as lucky as you make out, Serbia were they home team and favourites and lived up to that a bit, they scored one goal from play we scored two and missed some chances of our own.

It's wasn't a great performance but for the conditions it was played and the fact it's a results business, the job got done

Serbia were as bad as us. If we hadn't sat back and let them come at us with wave after wave of attack we could have won comfortably. They'll be hockeyed by Wales and Austria and I can even see Georgia getting a result there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

Sitting back defending for our lives on the edge of our own penalty area and just waiting for the inevitable equaliser, followed by same "plan" again for the inevitable 2nd Serbian goal was beyond madness.

And then of course it's 2-1 so we start playing again.

Why must we sit back any time we take the lead? Serbia are awful defensively, we looked like scoring anytime we attacked, we just barely ever attacked.

We pretty much battered Sweden in the Euro's too until we took the lead. Then the same thing happened. Everyone back and hold on for dear life, leading to equaliser and almost lost the game as a result.

That's on MON. The players he has are far more suited to actually attacking a bit and playing a balanced game, not all out blanket defence.
    He's got to realise that and stop being so insanely defensive any time we dare to take the lead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Tactics were poor last night. Result was excellent though.

I think its the wrong time of year to be writing anyone off. Half of the team isn't fit. Its always the same with qualifiers so early in a season (especially on the back a major tournament in the summer). Look at England!

I dont for one second think any of the progress made at the Euros has been lost. Its just of those things with international football. You get games like that.

The main issue for Keane and O'Neill is the collective shi*ing of the bed when we take the lead in matches. That needs immediate attention.

I'm pretty confident that we will perform worse than we should in every non-trivial away game in this campaign. It's MON's modus operandi.

We only completed 96 passes according to UEFA site that is a shocking statistic.

• Advertisement

FAI head of security was busy last night stopping and searching lads incase they had any banners that critizied JD.
    Gone beyond a joke now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

MON has Ireland playing with fear.
    Sitting back every time we score and hoofing balls up to nobody in particular in the hope that we might get a break will only steal so many points. Better team than Serbia will nail us to the cross.

Our football lacks belief and MON is setting us up for a few hidings.

• yabadabado wrote: »
    FAI head of security was busy last night stopping and searching lads incase they had any banners that critizied JD.
    Gone beyond a joke now.

Really??

Jesus christ

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Really??

Jesus christ

Yup it happened.I'd expect a few media sites to have the story in the next few hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

yabadabado wrote: »
    We only completed 96 passes according to UEFA site that is a shocking statistic.

that's definitely passed completed? thought it was passes attempted.

Dots1982 wrote: »
    that's definitely passed completed? thought it was passes attempted.

Passes completed.

http://www.uefa.com/european-qualifiers/season=2018/matches/round=2000717/match=2017779/statistics/index.html

• Advertisement

• yabadabado wrote: »

Awful stat
    Nearly 4-1
    I'd trying to find out how many passes Whelan made

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Gone beyond a joke now.

Where you hearing this from? What right had he to stop anyone over there? :confused:

Where you hearing this from? What right had he to stop anyone over there? :confused:
    Mate was stopped.
    They can't do much unless they have a banning order but can get UEFA reps/security to check flags/banners.Just being awkward really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Was mentioned in the paper at the weekend that there were extra stewards employed for the Oman game in the upper east and west stands briefed not to allow any banners to be unfurled that were critical of Delaney.

Not surprised they did the same for Serbia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

8-10 wrote: »
    Was mentioned in the paper at the weekend that there were extra stewards employed for the Oman game in the upper east and west stands briefed not to allow any banners to be unfurled that were critical of Delaney.

Not surprised they did the same for Serbia.

I'd have thought its kind of surprising they do it for an away game.
    Like I'm not even sure what rights they'd have to take non-offensive banners away from fans in a Belgrade stadium.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Every fan should now make sure they have a "Delaney Out" banner for the next home match.
    This guy has over-stayed his welcome especially if he is using his security to prevent peaceful protest.

• Every fan should now make sure they have a "Delaney Out" banner for the next home match.
    This guy has over-stayed his welcome especially if he is using his security to prevent peaceful protest.

Thing is is will they?
    We tend to enjoy bending over and taking it from anyone in a position of authority

Like I'm not even sure what rights they'd have to take non-offensive banners away from fans in a Belgrade stadium.

In fairness it's not your usual away game, I'm sure there were concerns about security in general for the away fans

Every fan should now make sure they have a "Delaney Out" banner for the next home match.
    You won't be long getting ****ed our of LR now if you have anything anti Delaney. They have ramped up the security big time the last few months.
    In fairness it's not your usual away game, I'm sure there were concerns about security in general for the away fans
    I doubt the same laday gives a **** about security.

I was thinking the same

:confused: What was unusual about it?

Mate was stopped.
    They can't do much unless they have a banning order but can get UEFA reps/security to check flags/banners.Just being awkward really.

Do you mind elaborating please. Was he stopped just by the FAI man or were UEFA/ Serbs involved and what was said to him?

Do you mind elaborating please. Was he stopped just by the FAI man or were UEFA/ Serbs involved and what was said to him?

FAI man stopped him and he was let in after search and questioning. I will know more when he gets back home.

:confused: What was unusual about it?

Irish fans were to get a police escort to the stadium, don't think that's something we get at all games!
    After gathering at 17:00 (local time), supporters will be brought to the stadium under police escort

http://www.fai.ie/ireland/match/17/2018/2017779?tab=preview

• Registered Users Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

U-21s losing 3-1 to Serbia, anyone have the starting team?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement