Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

U-21s losing 3-1 to Serbia, anyone have the starting team?

3 - 2 now

http://www.flashscore.com/match/pYTdkXqP/#lineups;1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Rogers
    Glen
    O'Connor
    Hoban
    Lenihan
    Charsley
    Cullen
    Byrne
    O'Dowda
    Shodipo
    Duffus

Finished 3-2

• Registered Users Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

That loss to Lithuania came back to bite them big time. Would be nice to see new management after this group finishes, dont want King hanging on for years like Givens did and getting nowhere

Would like to see a change in management as well.Give the gig to a younger man,someone when new ideas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

yabadabado wrote: »
    Would like to see a change in management as well.Give the gig to a younger man,someone when new ideas.

Unfortunately most Ireland fans aren't interested in the youth sides so I expect King will continue to be there. If the senior side suffered disappointment after disappointment heads would roll, but I'm quite sure King's position will be safe.

Could we not do what England did with Southgate and let a young, hungry former player, who has come through his coaching education, have a go? And then if they did really well at that level they could be a candidate for the senior side. I think Damien Duff recently completed his coaching badges. Why not give him a go? He would actually inspire some of the young players.

But it will be King again. And we'll fail to qualify again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

I really want Chris Houghton to be involved in the Irish set up. One of the better coaches in England. Obviously hes a manager but coaching was always his strong point. He was out of work for long enough as well. Hopefully in the future he'll be approached.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Salmon

Anything to be said for Brian Kerr at U21 level? Has a proven record underage by I dont think hes flavour of the month at the FAI!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Salmon wrote: »
    Anything to be said for Brian Kerr at U21 level? Has a proven record underage by I dont think hes flavour of the month at the FAI!!

You answered your own question there unfortunately. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

He wouldn't work for them again

I would love to see Kerr involved with our teams again but that will never happen as long as the current administration are there.

Chris Houghton I hope at some stage gets the senior job as I think he has a lot to offer but doubt he is interested at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

While we have rubbish like Noel King involved in Irish Football we will always struggle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

yabadabado wrote: »
    FAI man stopped him and he was let in after search and questioning. I will know more when he gets back home.

Was that him on Liveline just now? Deano? Came across well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Serbia are the World Youth Champions, aren't they ?

so maybe not a bad results

Serbia are the World Youth Champions, aren't they ?

so maybe not a bad results

well its a "bad" result as it means we haven't a hope of qualifying from a group we could have bar some crucial errors

• Advertisement

In fairness to Grealish, he is showing a bit of loyalty to the Villa shirt after signing long term contract. Credit where its due. Still hard to reason with the hype surrounding his potential. Needs to get over a lot of immaturity issues

Was that him on Liveline just now? Deano? Came across well.

3 of the lads were on .2 who were stopped and one who witnessed it.
    One of the lads who was stopped was just on GameOn,FAI were savaged on that.

No surprise but FAI were asked to comment on it and didnt .

In fairness to Grealish, he is showing a bit of loyalty to the Villa shirt after signing long term contract. Credit where its due. Still hard to reason with the hype surrounding his potential. Needs to get over a lot of immaturity issues

England forum >>>

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

England forum >>>

:D :pac:

He's right Ted.

England forum >>>

oh really.

Original.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Am I alone in the "Brady should always play at left back" camp ?

His exceptional skill is crossing so play him where it's easiest to get in crosses.

You could play him left mid but he isn't as good a winger as McClean in my view.

Dots1982 wrote: »

His exceptional skill is crossing so play him where it's easiest to get in crosses.

You could play him left mid but he isn't as good a winger as McClean in my view.

I do like Ward and see the merits of Brady at Left full but all in all in a game like Mondays Ward was the choice. Ward is very good at standing up to his man generally,

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Ward was probably the best of our back 4 on Monday, a completely unfair booking restrained him a bit as well.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

I do like Ward and see the merits of Brady at Left full but all in all in a game like Mondays Ward was the choice. Ward is very good at standing up to his man generally,

Yeah, it's not meant as ward bashing and maybe ward was the right choice on Monday but I just love the idea of Coleman hitting the byline on one wing while Brady swinging in quality early crosses on the other flank.

Let midfield be damned is nearly my view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,238 ✭✭✭✭briany

The problem with McClean is that, as ever, he is a hothead and is inconsistent in his play for Ireland. On his day, he can do a job, but when the chips are down he's top of the "Who'll get sent off?" pool.

briany wrote: »

The problem with McClean is that, as ever, he is a hothead and is inconsistent in his play for Ireland. On his day, he can do a job, but when the chips are down he's top of the "Who'll get sent off?" pool.

Indeed, indeed, but you can just play a left midfielder who's in the left of a diamond if you don't trust mcclean

GLaDOS wrote: »
    Ward was probably the best of our back 4 on Monday, a completely unfair booking restrained him a bit as well.

indeed, exactly like what happened with Hendrick against Belgium (for kicking the SECOND ball on the pitch away?), as strange a booking as you'll see. Had been brilliant against Swedes and was playing well up until then against the Belgians and after vthe yellow he just sauntered around and backed out of most tackles or hard contact

briany wrote: »

Not really, not sure he has ever been sent off in his career.
    Either way, that is a bit overstated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

I wouldn't say always but if he's not playing as a winger I'd prefer him played as a left back then as a make shift midfielder. Could always have a change of formation and play himself and Coleman as wing backs like how Wales play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Yeah, it's not meant as ward bashing and maybe ward was the right choice on Monday but I just love the idea of Coleman hitting the byline on one wing while Brady swinging in quality early crosses on the other flank.

Let midfield be damned is nearly my view.

I'd like to see Coleman in midfield. I feel he's nearly wasted at right back given some of the players we have to play further forward. Maybe I'm off my rocker completely but it's like with Alaba playing in midfield for Austria but fullback for Munich. I think our international team are behind the curve in trying new things, I mean it's not that long since we were a big-man-little-man 4-4-2 team. I think our most effective and creative players are wasted at fullback and I would have Brady and Coleman either side of James McCarthy in a midfield 3 with a regular back 4 behind. Then you can have Hendrick and Walters/McLean supporting Long.

Put our best players in the position where they influence the game the most, and right now our best players are Brady, Coleman and Long. We don't have the luxury of 11 players all fitting nicely into our best lineup when all fit, so i'd happily see us try compensate one position for another if it makes sense. And I'd argue that Coleman in midfield is no more alien an idea than the first time somebody decided to put Robbie Brady at fullback, or Alaba in midfield which has worked out ok

• Advertisement

8-10 wrote: »
    I'd like to see Coleman in midfield. I feel he's nearly wasted at right back given some of the players we have to play further forward. Maybe I'm off my rocker completely but it's like with Alaba playing in midfield for Austria but fullback for Munich. I think our international team are behind the curve in trying new things, I mean it's not that long since we were a big-man-little-man 4-4-2 team. I think our most effective and creative players are wasted at fullback and I would have Brady and Coleman either side of James McCarthy in a midfield 3 with a regular back 4 behind. Then you can have Hendrick and Walters/McLean supporting Long.

Put our best players in the position where they influence the game the most, and right now our best players are Brady, Coleman and Long. We don't have the luxury of 11 players all fitting nicely into our best lineup when all fit, so i'd happily see us try compensate one position for another if it makes sense. And I'd argue that Coleman in midfield is no more alien an idea than the first time somebody decided to put Robbie Brady at fullback, or Alaba in midfield which has worked out ok

GK
    Keogh---Duffy---Clarke
    Coleman
    Brady
    McCarthy----Hendricks
    Wes
    Long----Walters

If we'd a friendly in the morning and all players were fit I'd have something like that. Gives our full backs more freedom to go forward instead of shoehorning them into centre midfielders.
    sugarman wrote: »
    Theyve made recent attempts at improving coaching at underage setup by adding

Duff to the U15
    McPhail U16
    Andrews U17
    Cunningham U19
    Kinsella U21

Really is a step in the right direction, but not much use when you still have clowns King & Mohan involved as managers.

Don't think Duff is involved with the Irish 15s anymore and I think they are only there as advisers and not coaches. Think they really only brought these guys in after Lee Carsley and Kevin Kilbane went to the FAI to offer their assistance with the underage teams but nothing was done about it and the papers then went public with it after Carsley was offered a job with the English FA.

its as cliche as Robbie Keane never scores in the big games mantra! To a point! In fairness he does pick up a lot of yellow cards for club (he has been sentt off 3 times over last 5 seasons which is a good feat considering his yellow tally!) but he has gone through stretches picking up a yellow on average once every 3 games. But its the player he is, and he is just a raw sort of player who plays on instincts a lot and puts the head down. always going to pick up yellows when you are chasing balls whilst the rest of our MF sit back and wait for the ball to magically come to them. A team like ours we need someone like McClean pressing

GK
    Keogh---Duffy---Clarke
    Coleman
    Brady
    McCarthy----Hendricks
    Wes
    Long----Walters

If we'd a friendly in the morning and all players were fit I'd have something like that. Gives our full backs more freedom to go forward instead of shoehorning them into centre midfielders.

200_s.gif

200_s.gif

With hands as gifted as his he'd have to play in goals.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

indeed, exactly like what happened with Hendrick against Belgium (for kicking the SECOND ball on the pitch away?), as strange a booking as you'll see.

Yeah, except that's not quite telling the whole truth now is it?

He clearly kicked the second ball towards the Swede who had possession of the match ball and in a promising position down our righthand side. I'm fairly sure he actually hit the match ball too which was mightily impressive.

It was actually a blatant yellow though.

200_s.gif
    With hands as gifted as his he'd have to play in goals.

He'd cover CB or MF also

1992.jpg

He is yeah, he also looks after Rovers U15s as is working an interim assistant to Bradly in the first team at moment.

And from what i've seen, most the lads are pretty involved. Mainly taking the training sessions.

Is he still involved with Rovers 15s? I remember they came down to play Limericks 15s last month but the date they had it set for had to be pushed back as Duff had just being moved to coach with the senior team.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Theyve made recent attempts at improving coaching at underage setup by adding

Duff to the U15
    McPhail U16
    Andrews U17
    Cunningham U19
    Kinsella U21

Really is a step in the right direction, but not much use when you still have clowns King & Mohan involved as managers.

Are these lads good coaches?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Was just about to say that. He was sent off once last season, but I can't remember any other sendings off.

Was just about to say that. He was sent off once last season, but I can't remember any other sendings off.

Straight red at home against The Cherries last season and the other two times (14/15 and 13/14) were 2 yellow card sending offs

http://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=58543

Pro. F wrote: »
    Are these lads good coaches?

That's the thing no point bringing in lads as a token gesture because they played for us.Its still a step in the right direction getting players who have done there badges involved and if they are good coaches let them progress up the ranks instead of using the same faces over and over because they are good FAI men.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Conor Hourihane won Championship Player of the month. That sort of form should get rewarded next time around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Conor Hourihane won Championship Player of the month. That sort of form should get rewarded next time around.

Think he was player of the month in L1 at some stage last season too, let's hope he continues that form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭Alfa Quadrifoglio

One player that must come into Martin O'Neills reckoning is Sean Maguire of Cork City who scored a superb hat trick for City in their 5-0 win away to Shamrock Rovers in tonights FAI Cup Quarter Final. He also scored twice for Irelands U21's against Serbia and Slovenia in the last week and was also excellent in Corks impressive European run this season. Not sure why his move from Waterford United to West Ham did not work out but he is a class act who is on fire at this season for Cork City.

• Advertisement

McGeady scores on Preston debut

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

How did Given go to the Euros?

How did Given go to the Euros?

By plane I think

Joxer drove the van.

Watching MoTD you would hope Randolph gets a run at WH soon. Looked rusty against Serbia.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement