Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Watching MoTD you would hope Randolph gets a run at WH soon. Looked rusty against Serbia.

Unless Adrian gets injured he'll only be used in cup games.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Randolph needs to move if he wants game time imo, won't get regular football at West Ham.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

GLaDOS wrote: »
    Randolph needs to move if he wants game time imo, won't get regular football at West Ham.

He wont be going anywhere! New 4 year deal signed a couple of months back. He is obviously content with the situation he is in. Its between him and Adrian and the truth of the matter is a lot of number twos at high clubs are international keepers also. He is only there a year now so I anticipate he has been made promises to get game time from here on. Bilic seems to like him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Charizard

He wont be going anywhere! New 4 year deal signed a couple of months back. He is obviously content with the situation he is in. Its between him and Adrian and the truth of the matter is a lot of number twos at high clubs are international keepers also. He is only there a year now so I anticipate he has been made promises to get game time from here on. Bilic seems to like him
    I wouldnt start him over Adrian and dont think Bilic will either. He will get some cup games thats about it. Westwood is also the better regarding Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Randolph has done fine for us and doesn't deserve to be dropped but Westword is imo a better keeper and a first team regular.
    I dont think Westwood will be getting much games anytime soon.Barring injury Randolph will be No.1

yabadabado wrote: »
    Randolph has done fine for us and doesn't deserve to be dropped but Westword is imo a better keeper and a first team regular.
    I dont think Westwood will be getting much games anytime soon.Barring injury Randolph will be No.1

never stop a winning formula. Shipping and shaping a team has caused us problems in past. Especially O Neills messing about with our goal keepers. Randolph deserves his place for now

I am a big fan of Whelan and have wrote some pieces on him in a sports page I have and delving into his past I learnt a lot more about why managers trust him asnd when I watch him in games sometimes I find it very intriguing what he does. But... its clear that last few games he has shortchanged himself and a change is needed which I think O Neill recognises. He would have played McCarthy and Hendrick against Serbia and thats the way forward I think. But they need to play together regularly as like centre of defence, its a position you must be able to trust what the instincts of your central partner is doing and build a relationship.
    Saying that, a return to the 3-5-2 system he used so effectively at Leicester, and also, for a considerable period of time, at Celtic like below:

It would be no harm playing Whelan behind those two and have Brady on the left (I wouldnt omit Ward if Brady was in front of him) and Walters on right.

otherwise Randolph

Keogh O Shea Duffy (maybe even Ward)
    Coleman Brady
    McCarthy
    Walters Hendrick MCclean
    Long

worth a try against Georgia anyway and even in away game against Moldova. Need to get goals in these less difficult games as either the group winning or even a playoff place could boil down to goal difference so attacking team like that would be good to see

This is what formation reached the UEFA cup final with Celtic

..........Rab Douglas

........Joos Valgaeren - Bobo Balde - Johan Mjallby

Dider Agathe
    Alan Thomson

...........Paul Lambert
    Neil Lennon

................Stilyan Petrov

......Henrik Larsson - Chris Sutton

..............Randolph

Coleman
    Brady
    McCarthy
    ..........Hendrick MCclean
    ....................Walters
    Long

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

We need to be trying to unearth someone better than Mc Clean.
    He just doesn't do it for me.
    Headless chicken. Very willing but entirely limited.

A hard worker who puts in a huge amount of work but has very little end product.

O'Dowda and Shodipo(hopefully) will provide us with 2 good options in the near future.

never stop a winning formula. Shipping and shaping a team has caused us problems in past. Especially O Neills messing about with our goal keepers. Randolph deserves his place for now

Thats it in a nutshell ,Randolph got his chance and took it so will be No. 1 but imo Westwood deserved his chance but his previous with MON probably went against him.

Randolph and Westwood should be the first 2 keepers but I would like to see MON bring in a someone else at 3rd choice.Forde or Rodgers aint gonna be around much longer and aren't going to improve so would like to see a younger keeper in for experience.Until Elliott is back at least.

best Irish player on pitch last week.

Only one showing endeavour to get forward and get the ball on the ground. Sometimes you need raw runner like that in a team like Irelands.

• Advertisement

..........Rab Douglas

Dider Agathe
    Alan Thomson

...........Paul Lambert
    Neil Lennon

..............Randolph

Coleman
    Brady
    '...................McCarthy
    ..........Hendrick
    MCclean
    Long

Walters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Good to see Eoghan O'Connell getting a chance to test himself against the best, tonight in the Nou Camp. I think.

We won't see many Irish lads in the Champions League group games this year

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Good to see Eoghan O'Connell getting a chance to test himself against the best, tonight in the Nou Camp. I think.

He'd be the only Irishman registered I think?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

In fairness, they only conceded two after he came on as opposed to the five beforehand. :D:) :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Did alright when he came on actually and did well in the crucial CL qualifier games for Celtic when thrown in at the deep end. Looks to be a player with a good solid temperament. I think he's a player with a bright future, potential Ireland regular.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RichFTW

Kevin Kilbane was talking about Scott Hogan there on OTB. 10 goals in his last 11 games and apparently is a big Roy Keane fan. Is quoted as saying it would be hard to say no to Roy Keane if he called. Kilbane was raving about him. Anyone see him play?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

RichFTW wrote: »
    Kevin Kilbane was talking about Scott Hogan there on OTB. 10 goals in his last 11 games and apparently is a big Roy Keane fan. Is quoted as saying it would be hard to say no to Roy Keane if he called. Kilbane was raving about him. Anyone see him play?

Haven't seen him play but remember reading the Irish management have been looking at him but he's had his fair share of injury problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

GLaDOS wrote: »
    He'd be the only Irishman registered I think?

Where's Cillian Sheridan these days?

:P

Where's Cillian Sheridan these days?

:P

Still in Cyprus but doesn't play with Apoel anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

..........Rab Douglas

Dider Agathe
    Alan Thomson

...........Paul Lambert
    Neil Lennon

..............Randolph

Coleman
    Brady
    ..........Hendrick
    MCclean
    Long

Walters

:confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,183 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Think he's trying to show that MON has played with 3 centre halves before

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

..........Rab Douglas

Dider Agathe
    Alan Thomson

...........Paul Lambert
    Neil Lennon

..............Randolph

Coleman
    Brady
    ..........Hendrick
    MCclean
    Long

Walters

Did O'Neill really play with Alan Thompson at wing back? That surely must have been only very temporary?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Corholio wrote: »
    Did O'Neill really play with Alan Thompson at wing back? That surely must have been only very temporary?

Here's the lineups from the 01/02 CL games. And here's the 03/04.

That site gets formations wrong occasionally, but we know they played 352 a lot during MON's time and Thompson is starting a good few on the left, so it makes sense that formations are correct and he was the wing-back.

Edit: interesting to note MON's away record vs the home one. It's night and day.

I am a big fan of Whelan and have wrote some pieces on him in a sports page I have and delving into his past I learnt a lot more about why managers trust him asnd when I watch him in games sometimes I find it very intriguing what he does. But... its clear that last few games he has shortchanged himself and a change is needed which I think O Neill recognises. He would have played McCarthy and Hendrick against Serbia and thats the way forward I think. But they need to play together regularly as like centre of defence, its a position you must be able to trust what the instincts of your central partner is doing and build a relationship.
    Saying that, a return to the 3-5-2 system he used so effectively at Leicester, and also, for a considerable period of time, at Celtic like below:

It would be no harm playing Whelan behind those two and have Brady on the left (I wouldnt omit Ward if Brady was in front of him) and Walters on right.

otherwise Randolph

Coleman Brady
    McCarthy
    Walters Hendrick MCclean
    Long

worth a try against Georgia anyway and even in away game against Moldova. Need to get goals in these less difficult games as either the group winning or even a playoff place could boil down to goal difference so attacking team like that would be good to see

This is what formation reached the UEFA cup final with Celtic

..........Rab Douglas

Dider Agathe
    Alan Thomson

...........Paul Lambert
    Neil Lennon

..............Randolph

Coleman
    Brady
    McCarthy
    ..........Hendrick MCclean
    Long
    :confused::confused::confused:

see above

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

John Egan and Conor Hourihane seem to be coming on very well in the Championship.

Hourihane won Championship Player of the Month and Egan has 3 goals in 7 games from CB with Brentford.

• Advertisement

Paully D wrote: »
    John Egan and Conor Hourihane seem to be coming on very well in the Championship.

Hourihane won Championship Player of the Month and Egan has 3 goals in 7 games from CB with Brentford.

Be no harm to see both get a call up.Hourihane has had a great start to the season but Barnsley do seem to give him a free role be interesting to see what he would do in a more rigid set up.
    MON has to start calling up the form players even if they find it hard to get first 11 at least they are getting experience in the squad.

It seems like very few players have been given their first cap by MON.Has many gotten a first competitive cap under this management team?
    Duffy and Christie are the only 2 who spring to mind .

Be no harm to see both get a call up.Hourihane has had a great start to the season but Barnsley do seem to give him a free role be interesting to see what he would do in a more rigid set up.
    MON has to start calling up the form players even if they find it hard to get first 11 at least they are getting experience in the squad.

It seems like very few players have been given their first cap by MON.Has many gotten a first competitive cap under this management team?
    Duffy and Christie are the only 2 who spring to mind .

Harry Arter, Eunan O'Kane, Alan Judge and Callum O'Dowda would be some that spring to mind who have gotten their first cap under MON. Was there a couple of lads who played with Aberdeen who got capped for the first time under him.

Harry Arter, Eunan O'Kane, Alan Judge and Callum O'Dowda would be some that spring to mind who have gotten their first cap under MON. Was there a couple of lads who played with Aberdeen who got capped for the first time under him.
    competitive games was my question.Sure we gave ****ing Joe Lapira a cap in a friendly.

competitive games was my question.Sure we gave ****ing Joe Lapira a cap in a friendly.

Randalph, Hendrick, Murphy [the 2 goalscorers plus MOTM v Serbia], Quinn, Meyler, Duffy, Christie all made their competitive debuts under MON.

as well as a host of others who have been tried out in friendlies.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

We remain in 31st in the latest world rankings (somehow our big win over Oman didnt help;)) with NI just above us in 30th.

Rest of the teams in our group:
    Wales - 10th (+1)
    Austria - 26th (-4)
    Serbia - 50th (-3)
    Georgia - 137th (-19)
    Moldova - 161st (+4)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭ahlookit

We remain in 31st in the latest world rankings (somehow our big win over Oman didnt help;)) with NI just above us in 30th.

Rest of the teams in our group:
    Wales - 10th (+1)
    Austria - 26th (-4)
    Serbia - 50th (-3)
    Georgia - 137th (-19)
    Moldova - 161st (+4)

I know you mention it as a joke, but how much has the game against Oman cost us in ranking points.

As results over a 4 year period are taken into account, the three fixtures against Oman in that timeframe count against us.

Wales exploit the ranking system by avoiding friendlies...maybe the lads in the FAI should take note...
    The fundamental flaw is that considerably lower rewards for friendlies can drastically erode a decent average obtained from competitive matches.
    Without getting into the complexities about how this should be rectified with weighted averages to reflect the lesser importance of friendlies, the crucial upshot is this: for the most part, friendly matches are damaging to the top countries’ ranking points – even wins.
    Astute nations who are willing to look beyond the published list and investigate how the rankings actually work have therefore been getting involved in the numbers – assessing how a friendly result against a certain team might affect their ranking and, in extreme cases, considering if it’s worth avoiding those fixtures completely.

If the rankings existed only for the purpose of prestige, there wouldn’t be much of an issue. The significance is that they are used by FIFA to decide seedings.
    Read more: http://thesetpieces.com/world-football/beating-system-wales-planned-seeding-success-calculator/#ixzz4KLJ12f1i

never knew Duffy was a Norn Ireland born chap

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭ahlookit

never knew Duffy was a Norn Ireland born chap

You may not know about the injury he sustained while training with Ireland then. Gerry McEntee (former Meath footballer and surgeon) performed life saving surgery on him

In May 2010 a teenager named Shane Duffy switched allegiance from Northern Ireland to the Republic. The Derry centre half was instantly added to the national training squad when a tragedy struck that almost took away his life never mind his career.
    In what was described as a freak accident, Duffy required emergency surgery at the Mater, performed by Gerry McEntee, after lacerating his liver following a collision with goalkeeper Adrian Walsh.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/international/shane-duffy-the-standout-performer-in-victory-over-swiss-1.2587618

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

nah, I knew that alright.

ugh, just noticed next set of fixtures are in the midst of my exams!

Going to get tickets for the Welsh and Moldovan home games and probably Serbia in June (Sunday evening fixture) .

Both the Welsh and Moldovan games on a Friday night, Wales one pick of the group stages obviously, week after Paddys Day, and the Moldovan game will set us up for what could be the qualifying decider away in Cardiff on October 9th. (its a Monday night so might plan ahead take a 5 long long weekend and head to Cardiff, back to work Wednesday )

Please god we will have our sh1t together in the group by then

Kevin Doyle on a programme called Emigration nation at the moment on UTV Ireland if anyone is interested, talking about his Canadian life.

Billy Walsh also.

Kevin Doyle on a programme called Emigration nation at the moment on UTV Ireland if anyone is interested, talking about his Canadian life.

Billy Walsh also.
    He doesnt live in Canada, hes based in Denver

Charizard wrote: »
    He doesnt live in Canada, hes based in Denver

sorry, meant Colorado! Havent a clue why I put Canada. I ended up missing it anyway, had to leave for soccer

sorry, meant Colorado! Havent a clue why I put Canada. I ended up missing it anyway, had to leave for soccer
    Soccer always ends up ruining Soccer :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭Alfa Quadrifoglio

The case for Daryl Horgan and Patrick McEleney being brought into the Republic of Ireland squad has increased even further after once again playing so well for Dundalk in Europe tonight in a fantastic performance to come from 1-nil down against AZ in Holland with 10 men

I have a feeling Horgan and McElheany may be hard for Dundalk to hold on to. No doubt if they did move to England they would probably get a call up to senior squad immediately!

I have a feeling Horgan and McElheany may be hard for Dundalk to hold on to. No doubt if they did move to England they would probably get a call up to senior squad immediately!

Horgan was almost better during 2015 season. He is such an elegant player to watch, makes space out of nothing. I think he will head to England in January, he already trialled at Peterborough but sometimes those trial experiences are a waste of time. The fact now he is tried and tested at this level will remove the need for a trial you would feel anyway. If I was to pick a club that may be interested in him, I would probably say Reading, Bristol or perhaps Wolves. But in fairness he wouldnt be a bad squad player for teams like Bournemouth, West Brom or even Sunderland the latter of whom are desperate for a bit of craft.

Think Hughton was touted as being interested in him last year also for BHA. He is 24 now so I think he needs to do it now

As Eoghan O'Connell, Cillian Sheridan and the Dundalk team prove, playing European football is no help for getting an Irish call-up !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭stephenl15

As Eoghan O'Connell, Cillian Sheridan and the Dundalk team prove, playing European football is no help for getting an Irish call-up !

That really doesn't prove anything. O'Connell isn't a starter for Celtic and has only just broken into the first team squad, and Sheridan just isn't/wasn't good enough

O'CONNELL has done nothing yet to get a call up.Maybe in 6 months time with 15 -20 games played he will deserve a shot.Egan is the CB who deserves his chance.Very good last season and the step up to championship hasn't fazed him,taken to it very well.

Mentioning Sheridan is laughable .

stephenl15 wrote: »
    That really doesn't prove anything. O'Connell isn't a starter for Celtic and has only just broken into the first team squad, and Sheridan just isn't/wasn't good enough

I know, I know, not saying they should be called up.

Just pointing out a bit of a strange coincidence/anomoly that none of our senior squad are playing in European comopetitions, yet many players not good enoguh for the squad are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

Think Hughton was touted as being interested in him last year also for BHA. He is 24 now so I think he needs to do it now

That is the logic that has resulted in Richie Towell hardly playing a game in nearly 12 months.

I don't get your point? The logic behind my point is if he doesn't go in time at least for the 2017 season he will never. Why should towells situation bemail the precedent and hallmark for all ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I know, I know, not saying they should be called up.

Just pointing out a bit of a strange coincidence/anomoly that none of our senior squad are playing in European comopetitions, yet many players not good enoguh for the squad are.

It's not that strange really. European Competitions have a huge amount of teams at this point of the season. It's a good gauge of teams that are doing well in different leagues, but it's not a good gauge of players that are playing in it.

A Liverpool fan was remarking how the current team aren't in Europe this year, but ex-players Brad Jones, Sebastian Coates, Dirk Kuyt and Yossi Benayoun were all playing European football this week. Doesn't mean any of them are still good enough to play for Liverpool - just doesn't correlate like that. Same for Ireland, just because player A is in European competition and player B isn't, doesn't meant that player A is automatically better or in better form than player B even if they play the same position

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement