Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Quick (possibly quite stupid...) question!

I'll be heading straight from work to the Aviva on Thursday - will I have any issue bringing in a backpack?

I'll be staying with a friend outside the city and would be cutting it a bit tight to make it out and back in I'd say!!

One of the lads usually has a back pack with him and they just give it a quick search. You should have no problem getting it through.

Don't bring in any Anti JD propaganda and ur safe enough :D

Didn't get to see it - anything interesting in it ?

Harmless enough,nothing new in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Quick (possibly quite stupid...) question!

I'll be heading straight from work to the Aviva on Thursday - will I have any issue bringing in a backpack?

I'll be staying with a friend outside the city and would be cutting it a bit tight to make it out and back in I'd say!!

I was worried about the same when I was heading to the Bosnia game. They never even looked in the bag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

yabadabado wrote: »
    One of the lads usually has a back pack with him and they just give it a quick search. You should have no problem getting it through.

Don't bring in any Anti JD propaganda and ur safe enough :D
    Patww79 wrote: »

****e, I better repack then.

:p

Cheers lads!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

****e, I better repack then.

:p

Cheers lads!

Stick the banner down your pants. Maybe this one for added effect with "corrupt" on it.
    That way, even if they do a stripsearch all they will see is two ugly boll_x_s

image.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I'll be disapointed if Arter misses out. I think he can make a real difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭Alfa Quadrifoglio

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/martin-oneill-reveals-why-he-didnt-call-up-any-of-dundalks-european-heroes-in-his-latest-squad-35099974.html

Martin blaming Dundalks fixture pile up for not calling up any of their players after their Champions League exploits and now a superb start to their Europa League campaign, 2nd in the group unbeaten.
    Daryl Horgan, Andy Boyle, Patrick McEleney and Brian Gartland are all worthy of a call up after their outstanding performances against teams stuffed with Internationals such as BATE Borisov, Legia Warsaw, AZ Alkmaar and Maccabi Tel Aviv.
    Poor excuse not to be brave and unconventional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I'll be disapointed if Arter misses out. I think he can make a real difference.

I will also but I do find it suspicious about how often he seems to get injured in and around competitive games for Ireland. By my count, we have played 12 competitive games since he has made his debut for Ireland, 14 by this time next week, and he has not played in any of them. He has had injury problems in the past year or two in fairness but they always seem to flare up around international weeks. McCarthy was similar at the start of his Ireland career iirc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I will also but I do find it suspicious about how often he seems to get injured in and around competitive games for Ireland. By my count, we have played 12 competitive games since he has made his debut for Ireland, 14 by this time next week, and he has not played in any of them. He has had injury problems in the past year or two in fairness but they always seem to flare up around international weeks. McCarthy was similar at the start of his Ireland career iirc.

Suspicious, how?

• Great to see Hendrick in such good form coming into the double header

Hedging his bets to not get tied in. He may genuinely always be injured every time but it's been an awful lot of competitive games for it to be a coincidence at this stage.

Tied in to what?

You can't seriously think he considers himself English or in with a chance to play for England?

Actually Patww makes a valid point. I can't really remember Arter being effusive about the prospect of playing for us. Not that he needs to be, and if he feels he has a chance with the England team well good luck to him, he hasn't done the messing that Grealish did. But if his record is a bit suss, it's legitimate to ask questions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I wouldn't have concerns about Arter's loyalty. I remember the game prior to the Euros versus the Dutch where he produced a MOTM display and seemed to be trying to play his way on to the plane. I think he's just a player that picks up niggling injuries now and then.

I would have no concerns at all about Arter.He has been involved with us for 10 years now and imo if it wasn't for his extremely bad luck with injuries would be a starter for his now.

Actually Patww makes a valid point. I can't really remember Arter being effusive about the prospect of playing for us. Not that he needs to be, and if he feels he has a chance with the England team well good luck to him, he hasn't done the messing that Grealish did. But if his record is a bit suss, it's legitimate to ask questions.

Did you not have the same tinfoil hat theory about McCarthy?

noodler wrote: »
    Did you not have the same tinfoil hat theory about McCarthy?

Um, no.

Because McCarthy can't play for England.

But he did withdraw from a number of Irish squads, didn't Roy Keane raise the issue about Everton players always seeming to be injured?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I suppose we'll find out with Arter if he miraculously fit for his next league game

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Um, no.

Because McCarthy can't play for England.

But he did withdraw from a number of Irish squads, didn't Roy Keane raise the issue about Everton players always seeming to be injured?

If I am misremembering then forgive me, but I was certain I remember you militantly accusing him of being a bottler, or having something to hide etc etc etc when he missed Irish games through injury.

I thought you'd have learned your lesson re: reading way too much into these things.

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    I suppose we'll find out with Arter if he miraculously fit for his next league game

Thats 11 days away in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

That is what is wrong with the national team.

The Dundalk lads bleed green.

There would be no need to worry about their loyalty.

noodler wrote: »
    If I am misremembering then forgive me, but I was certain I remember you militantly accusing him of being a bottler, or having something to hide etc etc etc when he missed Irish games through injury.

I thought you'd have learned your lesson re: reading way too much into these things.

I'm happy enough to echo what Roy Keane believed about Everton players withdrawing and their """injuries""".

I also think Patww has a point. That's all. Maybe take up the militant tinfoil hat lesson learning stuff with him?

From Merson and Stelling and nobody else, though yeah? I mean, if you even watch their calls for his inclusion, they don't have a f*cking clue that he's played for Ireland.
    "Exactly, why not. He gets on the ball, he is a good footballer. He has loads of energy. Something has got to change with this England squad. What is the point in just picking the same players? Give these players a chance."

Let's not forget the calls for Wes Morgan to be in the England squad last year from this lot too. That'd be Jamaican international Wes Morgan...

I'm willing to give Arter the benefit of doubt here - at no point has he indicated he wants to play for anyone other than Ireland as far as I can see. He has suffered with niggling injuries for years and has had a very tough year by all accounts.

He's a very good player who is finally showing consistent form at the top level and hopefully we'll see that for Ireland before long.

No need whatsoever for him to respond .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,714 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Guardian have done the top youth talents for each EPL club with 1 Irish player appearing, Gavin Kilkenny at Bournemouth

https://www.theguardian.com/football/ng-interactive/2016/oct/04/next-generation-2016-20-of-the-best-talents-at-premier-league-clubs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,612 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Guardian have done the top youth talents for each EPL club with 1 Irish player appearing, Gavin Kilkenny at Bournemouth

https://www.theguardian.com/football/ng-interactive/2016/oct/04/next-generation-2016-20-of-the-best-talents-at-premier-league-clubs
    Has this boy made it clear that he intends to play for Ireland, he could nip it all in the bud with one simple statement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Has this boy made it clear that he intends to play for Ireland, he could nip it all in the bud with one simple statement.

It says that he comes from Dublin and played for St. Kevin's Boys for 10 years, is he even eligible for anybody else ?

The one identified for Middlesborough is called Tyrone O'Neill, althoguh it says he's from Middlesborough itself I bet there are Irish connections there.

Ah, lads, Harry Arter is 100% committed to Ireland. If he wasn't committed he wouldn't be over there in Abbottstown right now competing for a place (conspiracy theorists will be out again though as apparently he has picked up another knock!)

You would want to have some mentality to have spent ten years representing one country, accept call ups, play in friendlies, try to force yourself into senior team, training this week, knowing that you are likely to be on the teamsheet.

He is facing two WC qualifirs and knows well he will be involved if fit. Whats he going to do? Refuse to play or come on as a sub if/when called upon? Do you think O Neill or Keane would have him any way near the squad if they suspected he wasn't committed or thought he was feigning injuries? That sounds cowardly and a little bit unstable in his thought process! And that guy doesn't come across as a coward.

The lad is 27, he is not exactly young, naive and unstable in his thought process.

He is 100% Irish player. (of course a couple % of that, to accept the still regulatatory possibility of him declaring for England is overcoated by optimism!)

Keane on Scott Hogan

the manager has touched base with him and I think he’s due to meet up with him in the next few weeks,” he said. It seems, he continued, that “he’s keen to come on board. The manager’s looking after that and it would be great to get him involved. He’s a good player, a proper goalscorer. Fingers crossed there’ll be some good news on that over the next month or two.”

• Registered Users Posts: 8,743 ✭✭✭Worztron

TheCitizen wrote: »

His twitter image has him in an Ireland kit so that's promising.

https://twitter.com/gavkilkenny11

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Advertisement

Keane on Arter:
    Their conversation [Stelling and Merson] was put to Keane at today's press conference but he reiterated his belief that Arter is 'committed' to Ireland.
    "Maybe so," Keane said with a wry smile when told that some pundits believe Arter 'should be playing for England'.
    "We are delighted to have him on board but he is committed to us and it is unfortunate that he has missed one or two games through injury."

so possible starting line-up for Thursday night, given who we are missing

Randalph

Coleman
    Ward
    O'Shea
    Keogh

McClean
    Brady
    Whelan
    Hendrick

Walters
    Long

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭bren2001

Randalph

Coleman
    Ward
    O'Shea
    Keogh

McClean
    Brady
    Whelan
    Hendrick

Walters
    Long

I'd be shocked if that wasn't it (assuming McCarthy and Arter don't make it)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,612 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

It says that he comes from Dublin and played for St. Kevin's Boys for 10 years, is he even eligible for anybody else ?

The one identified for Middlesborough is called Tyrone O'Neill, althoguh it says he's from Middlesborough itself I bet there are Irish connections there.
    I was joking. There's a lad from Scotland called Lee Connolly as well that we might be having a look at, looks like Willo Flood.

bren2001 wrote: »
    I'd be shocked if that wasn't it (assuming McCarthy and Arter don't make it)

Given it's a home game there's always the chance they'll start Wes, maybe in place of Whelan, but I felt it's more likely he'll come on form the bench.

If we do end up chasing the game, Adam Rooney may well come on for his debut.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Given it's a home game there's always the chance they'll start Wes, maybe in place of Whelan, but I felt it's more likely he'll come on form the bench.

If we do end up chasing the game, Adam Rooney may well come on for his debut.

If they start Wes it's be in place of McClean, with Brady and Walters on the wing.

I'm not saying I'd agree with that lineup but I can't see him going 4-4-2 with Wes from the start. If he starts, it'll be a 4-5-1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

With the lack of attacking players we have at the minute, is there any reason Sean Scannall and the McGoldrick guy from Ipswich aren't being mentioned???

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

sugarman wrote: »
    Scannell worthy of a shout, McGoldrick is out injured.

Paddy Madden, Leon Best, Joe Mason, Eoin Doyle shouldn't be ignored either given out lack of options.

....or Sean Maguire, although his involvement with the U-21s, and also City's busy schedule are just two reasons for his inclusion to be ruled out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Randalph

Coleman
    Ward
    O'Shea
    Keogh

McClean
    Brady
    Whelan
    Hendrick

Walters
    Long

This will surely be the team presuming all injuries stay as they are. Not a bad looking team in fairness, despite all of our injuries it has mainly been fringe players who have been ruled out. We desperately need a striker but it seems as if most of our options after Long, Walters & Murphy are a level below.. Glad to see Rooney get a call up and he deserves a chance but the only striker I can see being a valuable addition to the team is Hogan if he declares (and I've never even seen the guy play).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

Wilberto wrote: »
    ....or Sean Maguire, although his involvement with the U-21s, and also City's busy schedule are just two reasons for his inclusion to be ruled out.

Are you serious? Sean Maguire is not near senior international level. He's not even top scorer in the league! Take away penalties and I'm not even sure he'd be in the top 3 goal scorers in Ireland at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

sugarman wrote: »
    Scannell worthy of a shout, McGoldrick is out injured.

Paddy Madden, Leon Best, Joe Mason, Eoin Doyle shouldn't be ignored either given out lack of options.

Padraig Amond over Leon Best anyways

justshane wrote: »
    Are you serious? Sean Maguire is not near senior international level. He's not even top scorer in the league! Take away penalties and I'm not even sure he'd be in the top 3 goal scorers in Ireland at the moment.

Oh yeah, because the likes of Leon Best, Sean Scannell, Eoin Doyle, and Paddy Madden are! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Leon Best is mint!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Isn't Clinton Morrison still kicking football?

Surely worth a shout at this stage..

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

Wilberto wrote: »
    Oh yeah, because the likes of Leon Best, Sean Scannell, Eoin Doyle, and Paddy Madden are! :rolleyes:

Eh? They don't play in Ireland how is that possible? Silly argument. I'm a huge fan of the league of Ireland but for a player to be touted for Ireland they have to be really exceeding in it and probably Europe also, i.e Daryl Horgan. Maguire isn't even top scorer in the league so he's nowhere near it.

For example Huddersfield are top of the championship, Scannel is playing regularly and well for them. So he's a better selection.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement