Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I see Jack Grealish is endearing himself to the English FA. Turned down the chance to meet up and train with the squad next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

I see Jack Grealish is endearing himself to the English FA. Turned down the chance to meet up and train with the squad next week.

None of our business now really

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Wouldn't be surprised if it's his agent making this move to ensure that Hodgson doesn't have a chance to not like what he sees.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Jack who?? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

we always play well against the world champions when we play them. remember italy in the world cup qulaifers in 2009 in croke park when we had them beating but they scored late in the game to draw it and put them through.

can see germany will handy though there a different machine when there focused unlike last year when we got a lucky draw. The Scotland/poland match is more important though hope that polish guy who is scoring all the goals for bayern is on form but can see scotland win or draw

PTH2009 wrote: »
    we always play well against the world champions when we play them. remember italy in the world cup qulaifers in 2009 in croke park when we had them beating but they scored late in the game to draw it and put them through.

can see germany will handy though there a different machine when there focused unlike last year when we got a lucky draw. The Scotland/poland match is more important though hope that polish guy who is scoring all the goals for bayern is on form but can see scotland win or draw

Are you literally using that one example? :pac:

That Italy team were MASSIVELY on the decline by that stage also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

SantryRed wrote: »

Agreed. If we were somehow to get a point against Germany in this next game that would be a massive result and one I would gladly take right now if it was on offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

We got a draw away to World Champions Germany in this campaign.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

PTH2009 wrote: »

That "Polish guy scoring all the goals" is that a joke? If you don't know who Robert Lewandowski is, you have obvs not been a football fan long.
    Easily one of the best 5 strikers in Europe this 3/4 years

• Advertisement

That "Polish guy scoring all the goals" is that a joke? If you don't know who Robert Lewandowski is, you have obvs not been a football fan long.
    i do knw who he is just could not be bothered to type out his name or able to spell it lol. hopefully hes on fire vs scotland and crap vs ireland

Yes we did and if we somehow were to get a second point at home against them that would be an incredible achievment and a massive result for us.

Oh I know, but I wouldn't exactly say we played well that day...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Is Chris Forrester worth a call up to a friendly squad?

Seems to be doing well over with Peterborough since his transfer from LOI

It's mad how players can hop on the boat over to England, play 2-3 games and only play as well as he has been playing for years in the LOI and then these suggestions start. BTW, I'm not having a go at you personally at all either. But McLean had a handful of games before he was called up and he was terrorising defenses in the LOI. Brian Lenihan, Brian Murphy etc. Richie Towell has long deserved a call up and if you were to go out of your way to call up a few LOI players there's 5 or 6 you could make a case for.

Even this lip service for a meaningless friendly, Oman, could have been a great advertisement for the league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Don't worry. John O'Shea will have him in his pocket on Thursday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Oh I know, but I wouldn't exactly say we played well that day...

So?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

This sold out?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Don't worry. John O'Shea will have him in his pocket on Thursday.

We're playing Poland next Sunday , Germany Thursday .

Let's pray to god Poland beat Scotland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I'm extremely positive Poland won't score against Ireland on Thursday.

Would put house on it....

I'm extremely positive Poland won't score against Ireland on Thursday.

Would put house on it....

Can't see Germany score on us next Sunday either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭con___manx1

This sold out?

Unfortunately yes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Godot.

Scotland will draw with Poland
    We will beat Poland to finish 2nd

• Registered Users Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Godot. wrote: »

Based on our excellent record of beating higher ranked teams in the last few years?

I love your optimism but given our record against higher ranked teams over the past decade I don' think your going to be getting the call right on this one.

Scotland and Poland to draw and we will lose to Germany and draw with poland. Scotland will go through on head to head record

If we draw and Scotland don't win on Thursday we go through in 3rd or if poland/Scotland draw we stand a chance of 2nd place if we beat Poland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

MON would take a point out of the next 2 games no matter where or how it comes.

We know the maths are pretty simple, if Scotland get 4 we need to get 1 point from 2 games.

If Scotland get 6 pts, we need to get 3 pts from 1 of our 2games.

Poland can still be caught for second so will want to at the very least avoid defeat in Glasgow, however, if we have to go to Poland and need to claim points, I dont fancy our chances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭RickyOFlaherty

Bit confused this morning on my social media feed ... Robbie Keane departs to Dublin from LA and Robbie Keane's wife gives birth to baby boy.

Did he depart before or after this joyous event? Congrats Robbie and family (on the off chance that you are reading this).

Expecting a bebeto World Cup 1994 rocking celebration when he rounds Neuer to score a late winner 3-2

Is there not some scientific way of reversing the ageing process and freezing Keane forever as 26 year old Irish centre midfield player?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

We'll be beaten by Germany, narrowly. Scotland will draw with Poland. We'll get an equalizer against Poland in the last 20 minutes to scrape a draw. Play-offs await.

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    We'll be beaten by Germany, narrowly. Scotland will draw with Poland. We'll get an equalizer against Poland in the last 20 minutes to scrape a draw. Play-offs await.

Something along those lines is probably our best case scenario at this point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

I reckon this will happen except for the equaliser. Could see them playing out a 0-0 in Poland because it will suit them both just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

Riiight, you have realised that we never beat teams ranked higher than us? Would love to break this duck. Hopefully Scotland ruffle them up in Hampden (with us matching the result).

How Given has somehow reclaimed his "throne" is beyond me :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Is there not some scientific way of reversing the ageing process and freezing Keane forever as 26 year old Irish centre midfield player?
    Take him at 29/30 when he was in his prime

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Take him at 29/30 when he was in his prime

true .. 1999-2001 was probably the pinnacle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Alex Meier

Trond wrote: »
    How Given has somehow reclaimed his "throne" is beyond me :rolleyes:

I agree.

He's past it three years.

His performance in the FA Cup final was woeful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

edgecutter wrote: »
    Riiight, you have realised that we never beat teams ranked higher than us? Would love to break this duck. Hopefully Scotland ruffle them up in Hampden (with us matching the result).

Yeah we have beaten teams ranked higher than us
    Italy holland France Germany Croatia Brazil England

We just haven't beaten any recently .
    That doesnt mean that we never will again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Sin City wrote: »
    Yeah we have beaten teams ranked higher than us
    Italy holland France Germany Croatia Brazil England

We just haven't beaten any recently .
    That doesnt mean that we never will again.

Unfortunately, the last time we beat somebody ranked higher we were playing better (more positive) football, and with MUCH better players.

Enough of the doom and gloom ... Next Generation 2015: 20 of the best talents at Premier League clubs

http://www.theguardian.com/football/ng-interactive/2015/oct/06/next-generation-2015-20-of-the-best-talents-at-premier-league-clubs

Finnerty at Villa is mentioned. Kian Flanagan at Palace .. although the article mentions that England are sniffing around

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

Unfortunately, the last time we beat somebody ranked higher we were playing better (more positive) football, and with MUCH better players.

Doesn't matter that's the beauty of football. The games aren't played on paper. Anything can happen on the night. Not saying well beat Germany but I hope to give them a game. As for Poland they were lucky to escape Dublin with a point

• Registered Users Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Enough of the doom and gloom ... Next Generation 2015: 20 of the best talents at Premier League clubs

http://www.theguardian.com/football/ng-interactive/2015/oct/06/next-generation-2015-20-of-the-best-talents-at-premier-league-clubs

Finnerty at Villa is mentioned. Kian Flanagan at Palace .. although the article mentions that England are sniffing around

The Arsenal player is Irish as well I think

The Arsenal player is Irish as well I think

Yep he's played for us already.

There's another few Irish lads out there not mentioned in that article. Scully at West Ham beat Reece Oxford to their youth player of the year last season.

2 lads with Liverpool that are v highly thought of. One has made the bench already this season.

Not sure I can take another Grealish saga .. just cap them already

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

What's our line up for tomorrow and what are is the german one

Bowlardo wrote: »
    What's our line up for tomorrow and what are is the german one

Mine will be from behind the couch:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Anya missing Scotlands game vs Poland could be huge. It sucks were missing Coleman but if Poland beat scotland it won't matter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Anya missing Scotlands game vs Poland could be huge. It sucks were missing Coleman but if Poland beat scotland it won't matter
    Coleman def missing tonight? Don't worry Lewandowski will take care of the Scots!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Two draws would be nice - can't see it happening though, might have a cheeky fiver on score draw tonight, but I can't see us getting anything - the Germans will be relaxed knowing they are virtually through, might be given more freedom by the manager.

Does anyone know if finishing first or second has any affect on groups in the main tournament?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭exiledelbows

Does anyone know if finishing first or second has any affect on groups in the main tournament?

Only in that the results that get you first or second will affect your coefficient. Ours is alright at the moment, should get us seeded in the playoffs - we're above Wales.

Two draws would be nice - can't see it happening though, might have a cheeky fiver on score draw tonight, but I can't see us getting anything - the Germans will be relaxed knowing they are virtually through, might be given more freedom by the manager.

2 draws would be dreamland from tonights games. Can't see it happening in our game though. The only upside I see in our game is it can't be as bad as the last time the Germans were here! Losing Coleman is a massive blow for us the biggest one for me of the lads missing.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement