Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Duff wrote: »
    Leon Best is mint!

ok-then.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭eamonpk

so possible starting line-up for Thursday night, given who we are missing

Randalph

Coleman
    Ward
    O'Shea
    Keogh

McClean
    Brady
    Whelan
    Hendrick

Walters
    Long
    This is the same starting 11 as the Serbian match isn't it? If it is then the injuries have not been a big factor. Still like to have Arter starting. Anyone know if Hoolahan is fully fit as he is the other one I would possibly have played

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

eamonpk wrote: »
    This is the same starting 11 as the Serbian match isn't it? If it is then the injuries have not been a big factor. Still like to have Arter starting. Anyone know if Hoolahan is fully fit as he is the other one I would possibly have played

arter has picked up a knock, in fairness plenty enough in that starting midfield to win both games comfortably. Nice to have a solid 11 with no injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,743 ✭✭✭Worztron

We badly need to start to give fresh strikers a chance. Come 2 years our current strikers will be well past it.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭wardides

justshane wrote: »
    Eh? They don't play in Ireland how is that possible? Silly argument. I'm a huge fan of the league of Ireland but for a player to be touted for Ireland they have to be really exceeding in it and probably Europe also, i.e Daryl Horgan. Maguire isn't even top scorer in the league so he's nowhere near it.

For example Huddersfield are top of the championship, Scannel is playing regularly and well for them. So he's a better selection.

I'd also argue that Madden, Scannell etc would walk into this Dundalk team, and you could therefore say they are playing regularly in Europe. It's not Paddy Madden or Joe Mason's fault that their route to showcasing himself in Europe is 100x harder than Daryl Horgans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Worztron wrote: »
    We badly need to start to give fresh strikers a chance. Come 2 years our current strikers will be well past it.

I think that time has already arrived. We're toothless in attack.

Long has the legs on most defenders, but pace doesn't mean goals, as we all know. Literally every other striker is a journeyman. I'd be worried now, not 2 years down the road :(

arter has picked up a knock, in fairness plenty enough in that starting midfield to win both games comfortably. Nice to have a solid 11 with no injuries.
    Looks like James McCarthy is fit which will probably change the 11 that most think will start i.e. Randolph, Coleman, O'Shea, Keogh, Ward, Whelan, McClean, Hendrick, Brady, Long, Walters
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37424268

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Duff wrote: »
    Leon Best is mint!

Mint?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,976 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

As nervous for tomorrow's game as I was for the Sweden game in the euros

A draw could be as bad as a defeat (may sound stupid but wins against the lower ranked teams are a must If we want to progress)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Ah jaysus lads, was a thing a few years ago. Probably more memorable to us Toon fans.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    As nervous for tomorrow's game as I was for the Sweden game in the euros

A draw could be as bad as a defeat (may sound stupid but wins against the lower ranked teams are a must If we want to progress)

Ah, now, tournament football v early rounds qualifying home match that we should win!!

Nothing stupid about that, I would envisage every fan has that line of thinking!

wardides wrote: »
    I'd also argue that Madden, Scannell etc would walk into this Dundalk team, and you could therefore say they are playing regularly in Europe...

Ermmmmmmmmm.

Ammmmmmmmm.

Ummmmmmmmm.

They're not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Ermmmmmmmmm.

Ammmmmmmmm.

Ummmmmmmmm.

They're not.

Hard argue with that :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

U19's currently winning again.

Hopefully they see that out and they'll be looking at 4 wins in a row before they play Germany which (i think sees them qualify automatically!).

They look as good a side as we've produced in long time....Mohan seems a great manager for them as well.

From http://sportsnewsireland.com/soccer/soccer_irish/team-news-for-republic-of-ireland-v-georgia-kick-off-745pm-thursday/
    Manchester City goalkeeper Ian Lawlor and Aberdeen striker Adam Rooney were both been added to the squad, while several players have been assessed by the FAI medical staff.
    I believe Forde was injured but anyone know what happened Westwood?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭earlytobed

I think he was taken off injured on Saturday
    Checked, taken off at half time

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Ciaran Clark. **** me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 704 ✭✭✭frisbeeface

That defence makes me scared.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Hope it works but it's not the team i'd start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Havent seen Clark play this season,but going by what the lads are saying on TV

MON is rolling the dice and hoping that Clark brings his club form to the team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭Alfa Quadrifoglio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Win is a win! Georgia are a sticky wicket team. They will take points of other teams in the group.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Win is a win! Georgia are a sticky wicket team. They will take points of other teams in the group.
    The result is the most important thing but to bring in Whelan near the end just gave the signal we were hanging on by defending to the win rather than going out and scoring a 2nd to make sure of the win
    Austria away next month and we have been lucky in the last 2 WC qualifiers but I can't see it continuing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

The result is the most important thing but to bring in Whelan near the end just gave the signal we were hanging on by defending to the win rather than going out and scoring a 2nd to make sure of the win
    Austria away next month and we have been lucky in the last 2 WC qualifiers but I can't see it continuing.

MON is every bit of the negative manager trap was so i dont see why its surprising that hed bring whelan on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,611 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

There was mention in the match thread about MON being passive aggressive with Tony O'Donoghue. I think he picks on O'Donoghue as a symbol of his disdain for the pundits sitting in the RTE studio. Pundits have their job to do and they're supposed to entertain the public as well which is what Dunphy does when he goes into hyperbole. Still for O'Neill it's boring to be listening to. Dunphy never managed anyone.

Brady, he was talking about the Euro's saying we did what was expected of us at the Euros and nothing more which is fair enough. But when he was involved in the set up with Trap we didn't qualify, and after he left when we did qualify with Trap we were pathetic in Poland utterly pathetic, a disgrace actually. So we didn't punch our weight under Trap when we did manage to qualify but Brady spent the following two years defending Trap on RTE as things went from bad to worse with him. It's easy for Brady to sit there and say we only did what was expected of us in France, but it rings fairly hollow.

I'm not saying you have to have been a manager to be a pundit but you can understand why O'Neill would get pissed off with them. If we go on to qualify again, which I think we will, the first half of the game last night will be forgotten.

sky88 wrote: »
    MON is every bit of the negative manager trap was so i dont see why its surprising that hed bring whelan on.
    This isn't accurate. There are times like last night when the approach appears overly cautious, but there also has been a good few performances under O'Neill, positive attacking performances, that Traps team delivered a lot less of.

Makes sense to bring on a defensively minded midfielder when 1 nil up with 10 minutes to go. There's no extra points for scoring a second goal but if we were to concede our chances of reaching the world cup would be almost over.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

sky88 wrote: »

No he isn't. Case in point being our full backs getting forward. Ward and Coleman were getting forward a lot. Coleman was basically in the back of the neck when he scored his goal.

Under Trap I remember watching in home games, even bloody friendlies, our full backs rarely crossed the half way line!

Yes he focuses a lot on structure in the middle 3rd of the pitch and Shane Long is stranded too much on his own but allowing our full backs to get forward signifies he isn't half as defensive as Trap.

Trap had Andrews and when in the midfield. MON is breeding a system of allowing Hendrick to get forward as much as he can.
    The fact that our midfield and wingers and even JW are obliged to cover back too much when we are not in possession may be at the cost of quick counter breaks I think.
    Quiet honestly MON hasn't massive confidence in his centre backs, (justifiably) and that is the root of the evil.

Henrick, Brady and possibly Shane long to miss the Moldova game. I'd imagine wes and Whelan to come into the team.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Walter and Adam Rooney possibly our only forward options possibly for Moldova

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Arter "sticking" with Ireland as per the Daily Mail!

Utter nonsense of a story to begin with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,311 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Trond wrote: »
    Arter "sticking" with Ireland as per the Daily Mail!

Utter nonsense of a story to begin with.

I'd pay no attention to that tripe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,203 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Friendly against Uruguay announced for the Aviva next June

No he isn't. Case in point being our full backs getting forward. Ward and Coleman were getting forward a lot. Coleman was basically in the back of the neck when he scored his goal.

Under Trap I remember watching in home games, even bloody friendlies, our full backs rarely crossed the half way line!

Yes he focuses a lot on structure in the middle 3rd of the pitch and Shane Long is stranded too much on his own but allowing our full backs to get forward signifies he isn't half as defensive as Trap.

Trap had Andrews and when in the midfield. MON is breeding a system of allowing Hendrick to get forward as much as he can.
    The fact that our midfield and wingers and even JW are obliged to cover back too much when we are not in possession may be at the cost of quick counter breaks I think.
    Quiet honestly MON hasn't massive confidence in his centre backs, (justifiably) and that is the root of the evil.
    There is a tendency on this site with a fair few posters to criticise MON and tie him with Trap no matter what. Most of that lot didn't want O'Neill to get the job in the first place.

At the end of the day if he gets us qualified like he did for France it doesn't matter what they say and they're wrong anyway, he is not as negative as Trap was and the team have demonstrated under him on numerous occasions that they can play attacking, expansive, positive football.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭ahlookit

paulie21 wrote: »

Are Oman busy that day?

paulie21 wrote: »

What about Oman?? Bit harsh on them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

TheCitizen wrote: »
    There is a tendency on this site with a fair few posters to criticise MON and tie him with Trap no matter what. Most of that lot didn't want O'Neill to get the job in the first place.

At the end of the day if he gets us qualified like he did for France it doesn't matter what they say and they're wrong anyway, he is not as negative as Trap was and the team have demonstrated under him on numerous occasions that they can play attacking, expansive, positive football.

He isn't as defensively solid as Trap's teams were.

There are a couple of more adventurous performances, particularly in the Euros, but there isn't the difference I feel those who campaigned for MON to get the job feel there is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Dunphy never managed anyone.

He managed to stay alive for 63 and a half years baby :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

noodler wrote: »

Trap had a better team available tbf. Richard Dunne and a younger John O'Shea would massively improve us at the back.

Our options at centre back at the moment are really poor.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Thats the Irish team and bench from 2009 France match under trap,

GK 1 Shay Given
    RB 4 John O'Shea
    CB 5 Richard Dunne
    CB 2 Sean St Ledger
    LB 3 Kevin Kilbane
    RM 7 Liam Lawrence Substituted off 80'
    CM 6 Glen Whelan
    CM 8 Keith Andrews
    LM 11 Damien Duff Substituted off 76'
    CF 10 Robbie Keane (c)
    CF 9 Kevin Doyle Substituted off 71'
    Substitutes:
    GK 16 Joe Murphy
    DF 13 Paul McShane
    DF 14 Stephen Kelly
    MF 12 Aiden McGeady Substituted in 76'
    MF 15 Darron Gibson
    MF 17 Stephen Hunt Substituted in 80'
    FW 18 Leon Best Substituted in

Not many would get into that team from last night. 2 or 3 at a push.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭stephenl15

Thats the Irish team and bench from 2009 France match under trap,

GK 1 Shay Given
    RB 4 John O'Shea
    CB 5 Richard Dunne
    CB 2 Sean St Ledger
    LB 3 Kevin Kilbane
    RM 7 Liam Lawrence Substituted off 80'
    CM 6 Glen Whelan
    CM 8 Keith Andrews
    LM 11 Damien Duff Substituted off 76'
    CF 10 Robbie Keane (c)
    CF 9 Kevin Doyle Substituted off 71'
    Substitutes:
    GK 16 Joe Murphy
    DF 13 Paul McShane
    DF 14 Stephen Kelly
    MF 12 Aiden McGeady Substituted in 76'
    MF 15 Darron Gibson
    MF 17 Stephen Hunt Substituted in 80'
    FW 18 Leon Best Substituted in

Not many would get into that team from last night. 2 or 3 at a push.

Brady, Coleman maybe Hendrick?

What ever happened to Steven Kelly?

He should still be pretty young!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    What ever happened to Steven Kelly?

He should still be pretty young!

He's a 33 year old right back playing for Rotherham. We've got much better players in in that position in Seamus and Cyrus.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭LordAwesome

Why has Anthony Pilkington been frozen out of the team? He was an exciting PL winger a couple of years ago and has score 3 in 9 this season in the Championship.

noodler wrote: »

There are a couple of more adventurous performances, particularly in the Euros, but there isn't the difference I feel those who campaigned for MON to get the job feel there is.
    Under MON we are beating higher ranked teams like Germany and Italy, that didn't happen with Trap, that's the most significant difference. I don't agree that we're less solid defensively now than when Trap was here and that's despite the reduction in quality of the squad overall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Under MON we are beating higher ranked teams like Germany and Italy, that didn't happen with Trap, that's the most significant difference. I don't agree that we're less solid defensively now than when Trap was here and that's despite the reduction in quality of the squad overall.

MON seems to be able to motivate the team for the big matches. But that'll count for nothing if we can't put away the lesser nations. We dropped 2 points away to an atrocious Serbia team. Could bite us on the arse come the end of qualifying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Anyone know how serious Robbie Brady's injury is please?

MON seems to be able to motivate the team for the big matches. But that'll count for nothing if we can't put away the lesser nations. We dropped 2 points away to an atrocious Serbia team. Could bite us on the arse come the end of qualifying.
    If we beat Moldova 7 points from the first 3 matches would be a good start, despite not playing at our best. I reckon Serbia will take points off Wales and Austria at home as well.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement