Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,611 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Anyone know how serious Robbie Brady's injury is please?
    He's fine but he won't be available to play so soon after last night with regulations regarding concussion. I think Hoolahan will start v Moldova.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

TheCitizen wrote: »
    If we beat Moldova 7 points from the first 3 matches would be a good start, despite not playing at our best. I reckon Serbia will take points off Wales and Austria at home as well.

Yeah I think everyone will take points off everyone, it seems to be already shaping up to be such that us, Serbia, Wales and Austria will all be kinda breathing down each other's necks and it may come to one of us slipping up somewhere. Georgia surely will get a result against someone, would be nice if they did it against Wales and/or Serbia in the next few games. Although if we were to go to Tblisi tomorrow I wouldn't be confident at all.

How bad are Moldova? Even with our absentees, we should still take care of them? Would they be worse than Georgia? They're a bit of an unknown quantity as if it was the likes of Andorra, San Marino or Liechtenstein you'd know it was a banker.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Just seen Vinnie Jones on Soccer Am,remember when he wanted to play for us?

And then a few years later he was Welsh :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,743 ✭✭✭Worztron

Trond wrote: »
    Arter "sticking" with Ireland as per the Daily Mail!

Utter nonsense of a story to begin with.

At the post-match press conference, I heard a reporter ask MON about rumors that Harry Arter may declare for England. He has 3 caps for Ireland but they are all friendlies -- so does it only mean that if a player plays a competitive game that they then cannot switch countries?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,714 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Correct. Alex Bruce had a few caps for us in friendlies but swapped to the North

Correct. Alex Bruce had a few caps for us in friendlies but swapped to the North

That's news to me. I always though any full cap meant the player was locked into that country. Cheers Ken.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Worztron wrote: »
    That's news to me. I always though any full cap meant the player was locked into that country. Cheers Ken.

Used to be but they changed the rules a few years ago.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

GLaDOS wrote: »
    Used to be but they changed the rules a few years ago.

Ah, I see. Thanks for clarifying that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Patww79 wrote: »
    He's scored too, a nice finish where he was tying his lace for half the build-up.

Haven't seen it all but he's playing very well.

He'll be a championship player next year, seen him play a few times for pat's, he is a serious talent. Seen a few highlights of him in league 1, think his Peterborough s best player

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Watched all the second half and he was easily their best again today. I know it's only L1 but he looks really comfortable on the ball.

League 1 is comparable with the Scottish prem to be honest overall

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Forrester's goal:

Beautiful first touch and then keeps calm and composed

https://twitter.com/kevymac77/status/784721708435595264

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭Alfa Quadrifoglio

GLaDOS wrote: »
    Forrester's goal:

Beautiful first touch and then keeps calm and composed

https://twitter.com/kevymac77/status/784721708435595264

Was superb with St Pats, will be at higher level soon, class player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Two different players tbh. Horgan is a mazy tricky player and very much a winger that can cut inside. Looks like Damien Duff and plays like him. Forrester, I'd say, is an attacking midfielder to the point he's almost an auxilliary striker.

The 3 or 4 levels above thing is a bit of stretch. League One isn't 4 levels above LOI. I concede it's better on average but 3 or 4 levels above,nah. Also, the point is a bit moot when Horgan is doing it in Europe.

He should be called up again,the more creative players in the squad the better

We have a small pool of players,every player should be looked at and given a fair crack at making the match day squad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,991 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

I'm not sure if it's his regular position but Forrester was fairly deep most of today. I wouldn't take the different players thing into consideration anyway as it's not like we're blessed with talent and couldn't do with new options in any position.

When he played with St Pats he played as the attacking midfielder behind the striker and scored some fantastic goals but since moving to Peterborough he's played as a sort of deep lying midfielder quite often and is equally as good in both roles.

Easily the closet player we have to Wes Hoolahan and should be up in the squad in my opinion even if it's as a sub. Hopefully it doesn't take the Irish management the same length of time it took them to recognise Wes brilliance with Forrester.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Was there any comment from the FAI on the future of Noel King as U-21 manager? Six defeats in a failed qualified campaign and the outcome of that will be more of the same, yes?

Was there any comment from the FAI on the future of Noel King as U-21 manager? Six defeats in a failed qualified campaign and the outcome of that will be more of the same, yes?

He is a long time in that job,

Maybe they should give U19 manager Tom Mohan a go at the job,freshen things up a bit at that level

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Lemmy Scott

Im sure a few ex players could take that u 21 job -players may look up to them and create hype around the whole set up-obviously king is better off managing womens teams his record is woeful.

Some of the players wouldnt even understand him with that accent

Georgia have equalised v Wales 58 minutes gone

• Advertisement

CuV53mvW8AAjxf5.png

CuV53mvW8AAjxf5.png
    Good team given the injuries. COYBIG.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭RickyOFlaherty

Wales and Georgia drawing... A draw with Serbia and Austria coupled with a win for us would be a most pleasant evening

I dunno. It's still...Wales. A country that drew and lost to Bosnia in the qualifying group, that lost to England, that were second best against Northern Ireland, that'll have a huge hangover and greatly increased sense of expectation after the excitement of these Euros. I think their run is great, but wouldn't now stand back and fear them at all.

A few boos in Cardiff as Wales hang on to a draw, I'm sticking with my call.

Wouldn't fear them, huge expectation and pressure on them. They play more attractive football than us - as most teams do - but still not convinced about their elevation.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

and it ended a draw for Wales and that match was in Wales too.

won't be the last dropped points in this group though but still get the job done tonight and we should be happy with our start regardless and tbh that starting lineup esp given the injuries is good enough to get it done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Why isn't Harry Arter called into this squad?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

CuV53mvW8AAjxf5.png

I had a feeling the reason Wes did not start last game was due to this game and he does not play 2 in quick succession.

FatherTed wrote: »
    Why isn't Harry Arter called into this squad?

Still injured. Had an article on the Sunday World (I know) he and the family were getting dogs abuse as they were saying he was switching teams

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

If Brady and Hendrick were available Wes would be on the bench, I reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

I had a feeling the reason Wes did not start last game was due to this game and he does not play 2 in quick succession.

say it has as much to do with criticism/poor performance last game. Ideally he should be playing home games over away, if any.

Brilliant result earlier though, only just saw it!!!

say it has as much to do with criticism/poor performance last game. Ideally he should be playing home games over away, if any.

Brilliant result earlier though, only just saw it!!!

I would agree but maybe he is seeing Moldova was a game he needed him than Georgia

I would agree but maybe he is seeing Moldova was a game he needed him than Georgia

Well, you would imagine that would be the logic given he is playing against Moldova and not Georgia!! :D

Anyway, should clean these lads up. Georgia much better team than these. Early goal and we are away

• Advertisement

Well, you would imagine that would be the logic given he is playing against Moldova and not Georgia!! :D

Anyway, should clean these lads up. Georgia much better team than these. Early goal and we are away

boom!!

5 nil

MON seems to be able to motivate the team for the big matches. But that'll count for nothing if we can't put away the lesser nations. We dropped 2 points away to an atrocious Serbia team. Could bite us on the arse come the end of qualifying.

A game and a half later, they don't seem so atrocious.

They will definitely take points against our main group opponents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Never

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

A game and a half later, they don't seem so atrocious.

How they are playing now has zero to do with how they played when we played them. They were terrible and we threw away 2 points

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Morrison J

That's what you get when you don't play the best CB in the squad (Keogh). O'Neill refusing to learn from the Euros.

Honestly no idea what Keogh has done wrong to not be in that team. Never put a foot wrong for us and consistently a standout player in the Championship.

Textbook Whelan there, could have tackled the player who had the assist, decided to stand off instead. Pathetic.

How they are playing now has zero to do with how they played when we played them. They were terrible and we threw away 2 points

Saying they played badly against us is different from saying they are an atrocious team.

Saying they played badly against us is different from saying they are an atrocious team.

They were atrocious against us. Absolutely atrocious, and we dropped 2 points against an atrocious side.

They were atrocious against us. Absolutely atrocious, and we dropped 2 points against an atrocious side.

But insisting they were atrocious in one game is still very different from saying they are an atrocious team.

Serbia are not an atrocious team. They've put 3 past Austria.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Lemmy Scott

Everyones saying Serbia are good thats bollocks we dropped 2 points against them over-worst serbia team in years

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement