Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Everyones saying Serbia are good thats bollocks we dropped 2 points against them over-worst serbia team in years

THey just beat the top seeds in the group....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Serbia are probably the best team in the league

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭enzo roco

SantryRed wrote: »

Who Wales???

Anyway, Austria are not a great team, I watched them a lot in the euros, I lost money on them ha. Ireland shouldnt fear them, but itll be very hard for Ireland to beat them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

But insisting they were atrocious in one game is still very different from saying they are an atrocious team.

Serbia are not an atrocious team. They've put 3 past Austria.

They are a very average team who were an atrocious team the day we played them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Lemmy Scott

No they didnt thats Wales:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

They are a very average team who were an atrocious team the day we played them.

We missed a chance to put itnup to them.

From the 20th minute onwards they were absolutely all over us.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Serbia are probably the best team in the league

In attack they probably are but judging by the goals they've given up so far they're very beatable at the back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Morrison J wrote: »
    That's what you get when you don't play the best CB in the squad (Keogh). O'Neill refusing to learn from the Euros.

Honestly no idea what Keogh has done wrong to not be in that team. Never put a foot wrong for us and consistently a standout player in the Championship.

I'd probably pick Keogh too, but let's not get carried away.
    Keogh is not exactly Beckenbauer.

I can see why they go for Duffy, he is a serious threat from set pieces, moreso than Keogh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I'd probably pick Keogh too, but let's not get carried away.
    Keogh is not exactly Beckenbauer.

I can see why they go for Duffy, he is a serious threat from set pieces, moreso than Keogh

With his flying elbows he's a serious threat to giving away penalties too.

If we need a defender, pick a defender.
    If we need an attacker, pick an attacker.

Don't pick a defender just cause you want another attacker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Yeah, given his season so far, he's actually a threat from the opposition set pieces tho.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,931 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Dunphy thinks Wes Hoolahan is good enough for the England team
    He doesn't play Wes except when it's absolutely unavoidable. He refuses to name him in his praise. He was glowing in his praise of James McClean but as Damien Duff observed on RTE last night, he seems curiously reluctant to acknowledge Wes's contribution, which is outstanding, of course. We've got Austria and Wales in the next three games and if we start with the centre halves we started with last night and if we start without Wes Hoolahan, we ain't going to the World Cup.
    Nothing that happened in Wales last night validates stupidity on our part. And the stupidity on our part is that we have a player who'd probably get into the England team, cos I saw England as well, and I saw France play Bulgaria. I was watching football all weekend. And there's very few players, if any, better than Wes Hoolahan.

https://www.balls.ie/football/eamon-dunphy-wes-hoolahan-348528/348528

Considering Hoolahan plays in the championship and England don't need to pick players from outside the top flight I'd say there is even zero chance of him being good enough for the England squad never mind start for England.I actually feel sorry for Hoolahan now as he's possibly the most over rated player who's ever played for Ireland.He's a tidy player but at 34 and the fact that he is a potential defensive liability in games where we would be under pressure and he's too much of a luxury to have in the team all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

The Hoolahan situation is bizarre. It has developed from a call for him to be in the squad to a deal-breaker in some people's support for MON, despite what has been achieved under his tenure.

I get the calls for Hoolahan to start for sure but, like Duff said the other night, I don't think he has to be an automatic starter in every game. Including him as a #10 means we are potentially compromising the defensive elements of our game, though he may allow us to keep the ball better.

For me, with a fully fit squad to choose from, a trio of McCarthy, Arter and Hendrick is our most logical midfield. McCarthy plays better as a DM when he does the role on his own instead of with Whelan, and Hendrick and Arter are both capable going back and forward, and decent on the ball.

The one major worry I have about our recent performances is that our defence is not strong enough to soak up pressure against better sides like we have in the past. Coleman and Ward I have no issues about, but none of our CB pairings fill me with confidence so I think we need to start our defensive game higher up the pitch. Arter/Hendrick/McCarthy (or, indeed, Whelan, Meyler, Quinn, etc) need to keep the ball better further from the goal. If the midfield is overrun, we are opening ourselves up for trouble with Duffy/Clark/Keogh as our final line of defence.

Also wouldn't be averse to a 3-5-2 formation, with Keogh, Duffy and Clark as CBs, Coleman and Brady as wing-backs, Arter, McCarthy/Whelan, Hendrick as a midfield trio, and then Walters and Long through the centre. Crowd the midfield and allow Coleman and Brady do their thing out wide. Walters was much more effective through the centre the other night and I have my doubts about Long's effectiveness as a lone striker against some sides.

Still, though, no room for Hoolahan there again!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭ahlookit

Dunphy thinks Wes Hoolahan is good enough for the England team

https://www.balls.ie/football/eamon-dunphy-wes-hoolahan-348528/348528

Considering Hoolahan plays in the championship and England don't need to pick players from outside the top flight I'd say there is even zero chance of him being good enough for the England squad never mind start for England.I actually feel sorry for Hoolahan now as he's possibly the most over rated player who's ever played for Ireland.He's a tidy player but at 34 and the fact that he is a potential defensive liability in games where we would be under pressure and he's too much of a luxury to have in the team all the time.

Eamo always has to find a "real football person" to be behind, and its always the big bad managers fault for not picking him and not understanding the "real football people of Ireland". He's been banging this drum for about 30 years now, started off with Brady & O'Leary, then there was Stephen Ireland, Andy Reid, now Wes. I'm sure there's some more I've forgotten. The sad thing is RTE keep giving him a platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,611 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

The clamour from some on the RTE panel for Wes Hoolahan to start every game probably doesn't do him any favours at all although I'm certain MON doesn't let it affect whether he picks him or not but it obviously irritates him that he has to justify every time if he leaves him out of the starting line up. Wes should play most of the time, but he's not an automatic first pick when fit like Coleman, Brady, Long or a few others.

The Hoolahan situation is bizarre. It has developed from a call for him to be in the squad to a deal-breaker in some people's support for MON, despite what has been achieved under his tenure.

I get the calls for Hoolahan to start for sure but, like Duff said the other night, I don't think he has to be an automatic starter in every game. Including him as a #10 means we are potentially compromising the defensive elements of our game, though he may allow us to keep the ball better.

For me, with a fully fit squad to choose from, a trio of McCarthy, Arter and Hendrick is our most logical midfield. McCarthy plays better as a DM when he does the role on his own instead of with Whelan, and Hendrick and Arter are both capable going back and forward, and decent on the ball.

The one major worry I have about our recent performances is that our defence is not strong enough to soak up pressure against better sides like we have in the past. Coleman and Ward I have no issues about, but none of our CB pairings fill me with confidence so I think we need to start our defensive game higher up the pitch. Arter/Hendrick/McCarthy (or, indeed, Whelan, Meyler, Quinn, etc) need to keep the ball better further from the goal. If the midfield is overrun, we are opening ourselves up for trouble with Duffy/Clark/Keogh as our final line of defence.

Also wouldn't be averse to a 3-5-2 formation, with Keogh, Duffy and Clark as CBs, Coleman and Brady as wing-backs, Arter, McCarthy/Whelan, Hendrick as a midfield trio, and then Walters and Long through the centre. Crowd the midfield and allow Coleman and Brady do their thing out wide. Walters was much more effective through the centre the other night and I have my doubts about Long's effectiveness as a lone striker against some sides.

We need to get Arter playing, he always seems to pick up a knock. That midfield trio of Arter McCarthy and Hendrick is the way to go I reckon in either a 4-3-3 or 3-5-2. If Arter remains unavailable then Hoolahan gets to start. The cb's are the obvious weakest link and against better opposition need to be protected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

A 3-5-2 would suit definitely be the formation to use to get our strongest players on the pitch IMO. Can't see it being used though as it isn't a formation we have used before and it would be a massive risk trying it for the first time against Austria or Wales. I'm a big fan of Hoolahan but it is more so the type of player he is rather than how good he is himself, we don't seem to have any other players who can play in his position. Agree that Hendrick, McCarthy & Arter is the best midfield trio we could play with, although it will be interesting to see how Arter fits into the team, we need him to be a player who gets forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭eire4

and if they beat Wales at home in the next set of games they will be very much in command of the group as we have to go away to Austria and the best I can see us doing there is getting a point. On paper for me and I have said it from the get go Serbia have the strongest squad in the group. They just have not got it together in recent years but if they get on a roll they have the talent in their squad to be a very decent side.

• O Neill was at the Dundalk / Cork City Game last night, anyone know why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

Should be to see Gartland and Hogan but prob not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    O Neill was at the Dundalk / Cork City Game last night, anyone know why?

Anyone know why not, I think is the more apt question!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

I actually feel sorry for Hoolahan now as he's possibly the most over rated player who's ever played for Ireland.He's a tidy player but at 34 and the fact that he is a potential defensive liability in games where we would be under pressure and he's too much of a luxury to have in the team all the time.

That is utter nonsense. He works hard without the ball and is excellent in possession. Just because a player isn't a defensive workhorse doesn't make them a potential defensive liability.

• Anyone know why not, I think is the more apt question!!

I didn't mean it in a smart way.
    Just wanted clarification as to why? Player watch I assume

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Vex Willems

When the top two teams in this country are playing, surely the National team manager being in attendance is expected?

Only if you are happy with optics!

I'd rather he was there with a genuine intention of considering the players involved.

Otherwise time might be better spent elsewhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

noodler wrote: »

I'd rather he was there with a genuine intention of considering the players involved.

Where, exactly, would be a better place for MON to spend the Tuesday of an international week?
    There were no PL, Championship or SPL club games for him to be watching, none of our international opponents were playing as they all played Sunday as we did...?

Presumably, he was there to keep an eye on Daryl Horgan, see if he is worth the fuss.

noodler wrote: »

It is quite clear he is more than considering Horgan. In fact I'm pretty sure Horgan will be in the next squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

When the top two teams in this country are playing, surely the National team manager being in attendance is expected?

Is it expected? Has that been something previous managers always tended to do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Vex Willems

8-10 wrote: »
    Is it expected? Has that been something previous managers always tended to do?

I'm not talking about previous managers but do you not think the National team manager should watch the two top teams in the National league?

The fact that people are questioning it, tells that there is a hell of a lot wrong with football in this country!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• When the top two teams in this country are playing, surely the National team manager being in attendance is expected?

I'm not sure. That's why I asked. Jesus.
    Friendly neighborhood boards :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭ahlookit

Sure Trap didnt bother going to games in the English league either. So he was very much equal opportunities for LOI in that regard ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

O'Neill has been in Oriel Park three or four times since he took over. Keane was with him one of the nights as well. Any excuse to visit one of the most beautiful towns in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I'm not talking about previous managers but do you not think the National team manager should watch the two top teams in the National league?

The fact that people are questioning it, tells that there is a hell of a lot wrong with football in this country!

Regardless about whether I think it should happen or not, I was making the response that i don't think it's expected as was mentioned

I would hope that all players that are eligible are assessed properly no matter what league they are in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,991 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

After this weekend's internationals he wanted to see at least one decent game of ball involving an Irish side.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Pighead wrote: »
    O'Neill has been in Oriel Park three or four times since he took over. Keane was with him one of the nights as well. Any excuse to visit one of the most beautiful towns in Ireland.

I presume you couldn't keep a straight face when typing this.

:pac: :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I didn't mean it in a smart way.
    Just wanted clarification as to why? Player watch I assume

I'd imagine to pay lip service (optics) so when he doesn't pick any players from the league he can point to the fact he was there and no one caught his eye.

I'd imagine to pay lip service (optics) so when he doesn't pick any players from the league he can point to the fact he was there and no one caught his eye.
    Daryl Horgan may get a call up. Richie Towell was last seasons League of Ireland star but he hasn't made an impact since transferring to Brighton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Daryl Horgan may get a call up. Richie Towell was last seasons League of Ireland star but he hasn't made an impact since transferring to Brighton.

Injuries have set Richie back

Bizarre post.

Strawmanning it to the nth degree.

Whether Horgan is genuinely being considered is what is being discussed not the pros or cons of a LoI game.

• Advertisement

Where, exactly, would be a better place for MON to spend the Tuesday of an international week?
    There were no PL, Championship or SPL club games for him to be watching, none of our international opponents were playing as they all played Sunday as we did...?

Presumably, he was there to keep an eye on Daryl Horgan, see if he is worth the fuss.

I dunno. There are probably other tasks as part being Ireland manager which can't be surmised from a quick glance at the fixtures calendar.

Not really the point of my post, just the part you have decided to latch on to.

Injuries have set Richie back
    Hopefully you're right and he gets fit. He's there since last January.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Wes on target for Norwich ;)

Clark for Newcastle too

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

GLaDOS wrote: »
    Wes on target for Norwich ;)

Clark for Newcastle too

Shane Duffy also doing what he does best...

..conceding goals! :pac: :D

(Although, he has only conceded one so far today.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Patww79 wrote: »

Was the same situation with Mc Carthy before he finally committed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Patww79 wrote: »
    Arter starts :pac:

Surprise surprise

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Seems Arter left the stadium on crutches after the game where he dominated possession with Wilshere and Surman. Sure the conspiracy theorists will probably say he is faking it so he is fit for the Austrian game!

In fairness, Keane said he stood a chance of being back for the Moldova game so clearly it isn't that hard of a stretch to see him back today. I doubt Keane or O Neill are soft touches with regard players over exaggerating injuries.

Hogan on scoresheet again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Jack Byrne not in the squad for Blackburn again today, the calls for him to be included in the Irish squad were definitely premature anyway. I feel bad for him as it seems as if Blackburn are going for more experienced players to get them out of the slump that they are in, he probably would have been better off going on loan to another European league rather than the championship where it's all physical.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Seems Arter left the stadium on crutches after the game where he dominated possession with Wilshere and Surman. Sure the conspiracy theorists will probably say he is faking it so he is fit for the Austrian game!

In fairness, Keane said he stood a chance of being back for the Moldova game so clearly it isn't that hard of a stretch to see him back today. I doubt Keane or O Neill are soft touches with regard players over exaggerating injuries.

Hogan on scoresheet again.

Keane has said he's happy Arter is committed to Ireland.

That's good enough for me tbh.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement