Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Was the same situation with Mc Carthy before he finally committed.

LOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Jack Byrne not in the squad for Blackburn again today, the calls for him to be included in the Irish squad were definitely premature anyway. I feel bad for him as it seems as if Blackburn are going for more experienced players to get them out of the slump that they are in, he probably would have been better off going on loan to another European league rather than the championship where it's all physical.

It's been a disastrous move. He's not played in weeks and he won't learn the nuances that are required for his position by sitting on a bench. He needs to play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

noodler wrote: »
    LOL
    Yep.
    Injured for Ireland but fit to play the following Sat.

Yep.
    Injured for Ireland but fit to play the following Sat.

You were wrong about McCarthy.

Stop trying with Arter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭Alfa Quadrifoglio

The brilliant Daryl Horgan scores again for Dundalk tonight who are well on their way to winning yet again and going 7 points clear. First cap for the Republic of Ireland senior Team cannot be too far away for Daryl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Lemmy Scott

The brilliant Daryl Horgan scores again for Dundalk tonight who are well on their way to winning yet again and going 7 points clear. First cap for the Republic of Ireland senior Team cannot be too far away for Daryl.

Him and Towell together in midfield :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Has Towell ever started a game since leaving Dundalk?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Has Towell ever started a game since leaving Dundalk?

Started an FA cup game I believe.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Patww79 wrote: »
    He'll get the cap in the first friendly after he moves to England.

Am I right in saying that the next friendly is in June?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

yep, Jun 4th (Sunday) Uruguay

(Thats right, not a misprint I said Uruguay, not Oman)

FIFA World Cup 2018 Qualifying Round
    Wales Wales vs Republic of Ireland
    Monday, October 9, 2017 - 19:45

DublinRepublic of Ireland vs Moldova
    Friday, October 6, 2017 - 19:45

Dublin Republic of Ireland vs Serbia
    Tuesday, September 5, 2017 - 19:45

Tblisi Georgia vs Republic of Ireland
    Saturday, September 2, 2017 - 20:00

Dublin Republic of Ireland vs Austria
    Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 17:00

Friendlies
    Dublin Republic of Ireland vs Uruguay
    Sunday, June 4, 2017

Dublin Republic of Ireland vs Wales
    Friday, March 24, 2017 - 19:45

Vienna Austria vs Republic of Ireland
    Saturday, November 12, 2016 - 18:00

Chronologically backwards! Oops!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,991 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

There's still plenty of time for them to fit in a game versus Oman during the March* match against Wales or next August.

*Assuming you're allowed organise a friendly when only playing one qualification game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭eamonpk

According to the BBC website the game is at 9.00pm - I can't see it starting that late
    International Friendlies R. of Ireland V Uruguay Sun 4 Jun 21:00

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/republic-of-ireland/fixtures

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

eamonpk wrote: »
    According to the BBC website the game is at 9.00pm - I can't see it starting that late
    International Friendlies R. of Ireland V Uruguay Sun 4 Jun 21:00

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/republic-of-ireland/fixtures

It could be to try and accommodate the Uruguay fans watching at home

Ridiculous time if it is. Stadium will be 2/3 empty. Sunday night at 9pm!!

FAI controls the time so getting fans in and watching on TV is priority.

Could even be a 5pm kick off, that match

Yes just checked and they are 4 hours behind us so it will be a 5.00pm kick off in Uruguay but seeing it is a country with a smaller population than Ireland I'm surprised to see such a late kick off to accommodate a smallish TV audience.
    The game is on a Sunday so an afternoon kick isn't going to stop people watching the match on TV
    I know its only 1 hour 15 minutes later than most games and I will be going with my 2 kids as we have season tickets - but I reckon we won't be home to about 2.00am

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

Can a game be on that late?

Thought they would have to be over by a certain time due to residents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

TaosHum wrote: »
    Can a game be on that late?

Thought they would have to be over by a certain time due to residents.

Europa League final (or our playoff games when the second leg was at home) could have gone on that late with extratime and penalties so I don't think that would be an issue.

meh, no way there would be a 9pm kick off for a friendly in Aviva on a Sunday night. I'd bet my bottom dollar on it! Sure FAI haven't even declared the time so not sure why BBC would assume its 9pm!

Anyway, I'll keep my money for the following week against Austria.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,611 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Bank Holiday weekend is June 4th

aaaaahhhh! So maybe it is then! Still a bit late! Pity we weren't playing Austria that day then, would be a good buzz about town

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Doubt it'll be a 9pm kick off. Probably just a place holder.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,714 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Latest rankings of our Group

Wales - 11 (Down 1)
    Austria - 30 (Down 4)
    Ireland - 33 (Down 2)
    Serbia - 43 (Up 7)
    Georgia - 122 (Up 15)
    Moldova - 173 (Down 12)

Thought Georgia would rise more and Wales would drop more after their draw!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Free game for ST holders being announced at 1pm.

SantryRed wrote: »
    FAI to announce free game for Season Ticket holders?
    Was it the Netherlands game at the start of the Summer that they added free for last years Season Ticket holders

SantryRed wrote: »

Iceland to visit Aviva Stadium in bonus game for FAI Season Ticket holders

FAI Season Ticket holders will be treated to a bonus game in Aviva Stadium on Tuesday, March 28 when the Republic of Ireland play host to Iceland in a 'Three' International Friendly.

Quarter-finalists at UEFA EURO 2016, Iceland - who are placed 21st in the FIFA World Rankings - will make their fourth visit to Dublin in what will be the first meeting of the teams since September 1997.

The game will arrive four days after Martin O'Neill's team will have played Wales in their first FIFA 2018 World Cup Qualifier of 2017 - which will also be hosted at Aviva Stadium.

• Advertisement

Good friendly booking for a change, Iceland are the sort of opposition that won't be there for an exhibition and a fair opposition on a similar par to our 3 main group opponents

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,976 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

with Shane Long possibly out for the Austria game and no sign of Mr Hogan coming abroad, Daryl Murphy will not be match fit, Few under 21 strikers not up to senior standard yet

Arter might start the game which will be good (if he doesnt get injured again :()

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

PTH2009 wrote: »
    with Shane Long possibly out for the Austria game and no sign of Mr Hogan coming abroad, Daryl Murphy will not be match fit, Few under 21 strikers not up to senior standard yet

Arter might start the game which will be good (if he doesnt get injured again :()

Martin O Neil if your stuck im available

Harry Arter making hard man Wanyama look like Billy Elliott!! Some engine on him. A midfield trio of him, McCarthy and Hendrick could really work.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭RickyOFlaherty

Is this one of these emergencies where we ask Robbie Keane to fill in? Even a retired Keano is better than any of the alternatives .. like Sammon etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

It'll be Walters up front surely.

Daryll Murphy will be grand for the bench? Sure walters is getting f all game time also.

If all came to all I'd stick McClean up front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Harry Arter making hard man Wanyama look like Billy Elliott!! Some engine on him. A midfield trio of him, McCarthy and Hendrick could really work.

Arter really does deserve to be in our starting 11,he has been probably our best player so far this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭Alfa Quadrifoglio

Sin City wrote: »
    Martin O Neil if your stuck im available

As are Daryl Horgan, Andy Boyle, Brian Gartland, Robbie Benson, Chris Shields, Patrick McEleney .....all great Irish footballers, playing for a truly great Irish club team against top opposition.... Bate, Legia, AZ, Maccabi Tel Aviv and Zenit......and lets remember who knocked in the Icelandic Champions out of this years UEFA Champions League......yes Dundalk.
    Time to recognise a new reality, there are Irish players playing in Ireland good enough to play in our National Team.

As are Daryl Horgan, Andy Boyle, Brian Gartland, Robbie Benson, Chris Shields, Patrick McEleney .....all great Irish footballers, playing for a truly great Irish club team against top opposition.... Bate, Legia, AZ, Maccabi Tel Aviv and Zenit......and lets remember who knocked in the Icelandic Champions out of this years UEFA Champions League......yes Dundalk.
    Time to recognise a new reality, there are Irish players playing in Ireland good enough to play in our National Team.

Very rarely would any manager bring in an uncapped player for a crucial qualifying tie so it's unlikely it will happen this time and you can't say it wouldn't be without justification to not bring in any uncapped players for such a big game.

TheCitizen wrote: »
    We need to get Arter playing, he always seems to pick up a knock. That midfield trio of Arter McCarthy and Hendrick is the way to go I reckon in either a 4-3-3 or 3-5-2. If Arter remains unavailable then Hoolahan gets to start. The cb's are the obvious weakest link and against better opposition need to be protected.

Did Arter play today?

If so, in fairness the management have made it clear he is committed to Ireland...but a cynic might wonder just how committed...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Need to get Arter in the squad, he's been Bournemouths best player and one of the better midfielders in the league this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Arter was MOTM for Bournemouth and he spoke with Kevin Kilbane on Newstalk afterwards and put to bed any notion he doesn't want to play for Ireland.
    "The times I have been there I've been fully prepared to play,"he told Kevin Kilbane after today's scoreless draw with Tottenham at Dean Court. "Unfortunately it hasn't happened for me yet, so hopefully this time round if I am there and I am fit I'll get a chance.

"The two results [against Georgia and Moldova] were great and it's set us up now in a great position. I feel the Austria game is going to be the toughest in the group really so it's set us well to go there with good points behind us. The pressure is going to be solely on them. If they don't get a result there'll be a lot more pressure on the team.

"There was a lot of criticism directed toward the team but results are the most important things at this stage and we've been picking them up."

The 26-year-old added that he felt there was an opportunity to be given a cap at the beginning of the qualifiers in September, but that competition was fierce.

"I thought in Serbia there was a chance that I would get the nod to play, but unfortunately I didn't. I felt we performed well in Serbia and got a result there. Hopefully this time around I'll get more of a chance and if I do then it'll be down to me."

Asked what his thoughts about being absent for the European Championships in June he said: "It was disappointing to miss out through injury, but we have such a fantastic team that I may not have even been picked for the squad. I wasn't thinking I was a guaranteed spot. I definitely wasn't thinking that.

"For me even the game against Belarus was still an opportunity to get myself into his mind but the injury was just too much at that time. All throughout the summer I was watching the Euros and using it as my motivation to get fit and to try establish myself as a Premier League player."

http://www.newstalk.com/Harry-Arter-targets-return-to-Ireland-squad-ahead-of-next-years-World-Cup-qualifier-with-Austria

He was terrific against Spurs and if fit, should imo get one of the central spots against Austria.

Very rarely would any manager bring in an uncapped player for a crucial qualifying tie so it's unlikely it will happen this time and you can't say it wouldn't be without justification to not bring in any uncapped players for such a big game.

He won't even bring in players like Arter etc so he hasn't a hope of bringing in LOI players.

We'll see the exact same team again in the months to come.

You dont get into the starting 11 unless you've an unwillingness to pass and retain the ball... it beggars belief but that's how its going.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Arter was MOTM for Bournemouth and he spoke with Kevin Kilbane on Newstalk afterwards and put to bed any notion he doesn't want to play for Ireland.

I was just about to post this as well. Thankfully, the idiots on social media who abused him didn't manage to persuade him to pack it in with us.

Did Arter play today?

If so, in fairness the management have made it clear he is committed to Ireland...but a cynic might wonder just how committed...

My God, get a hobby will you?

He won't even bring in players like Arter etc so he hasn't a hope of bringing in LOI players.

We'll see the exact same team again in the months to come.

You dont get into the starting 11 unless you've an unwillingness to pass and retain the ball... it beggars belief but that's how its going.

Wasn't Arter in the last squad and had to pull out with an injury.

I don't think any manager doesn't want his team to pass the ball this idea constantly being put out about O'Neill (and Trappatoni previously) is just nonsense.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Wasn't Arter in the last squad and had to pull out with an injury.

He didn't even pull out I believe, stuck around in case he managed a return for the second game.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

noodler wrote: »
    My God, get a hobby will you?

I got a hobby.

I'm gonna collect all memorabilia about Arter's great games for Ireland. The times he battled through injury to play for us, his determination to tog off for the nation and stick 2 fingers up to the club manager etc...

So far...I don't got much...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement