Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Good for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Daryll Murphy will be grand for the bench? Sure walters is getting f all game time also.

If all came to all I'd stick McClean up front.

Is Long definitely out ?

I think you're right though, behind Long, Walters or Murphy, McClean would be preferred to play upfront.
    We also have McGoldrick from Ipswich, though not sure if he's getting any game time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Walters up top with McLean and Brady on the wings.
    McCarthy may be out now as well Arter should be starting but would be shocked if MON did that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,611 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

TheCitizen wrote: »

McClean Is dead right ,Shiels is a ****ing idiot and made a bollix of himself with those comments.
    A total no mark,he would have bitten any managers hand off to get even close to international football.
    I'd say Dean was delighted to see those comments but it's been a few years since he got capped.

yabadabado wrote: »
    McClean Is dead right ,Shiels is a ****ing idiot and made a bollix of himself with those comments.
    A total no mark,he would have bitten any managers hand off to get even close to international football.
    I'd say Dean was delighted to see those comments but it's been a few years since he got capped.

Who is Dean? Dean Jarvis?

Dean Sheils is Kennys son who plays with Dundalk and has a few caps with Norn Ireland. Kenny Shiels is obviously looking for attention with his idiotic comments but he's made himself look like an eejit in the process. He'd love to have been good enough to play or manage at international level. Desperate stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Who is the Italian you McClean refers to in the article

• Registered Users Posts: 5,714 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Tony Cascarino I'd say

• Advertisement

Tony Cascarino I assume

Just to clarify, It was Shiels who brought up "Italian players". McClean just quoted and called him out on his bullsh*t

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Not the only LOI manager to make a pathetic comment the last day or two

https://twitter.com/DaveRobertson11/status/790996273168015361

I think he was only having a laugh as Dundalk played a second string seeing that we had the league won.
    It was "tongue-in-cheek" surely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

I think he was only having a laugh as Dundalk played a second string seeing that we had the league won.
    It was "tongue-in-cheek" surely.

no, wasn't at all. He tried to backtrack but it is clear the tone he meant it. He was p1ssed because it means Pats closed the gap to a point on Sligo. He is known for being a cocky sh1t talker anyway!

Mark Rossitter was among many players who called him out!

http://https://twitter.com/rossi3234/status/791000412010713089

Patww79 wrote: »
    no, wasn't at all. He tried to backtrack but it is clear the tone he meant it. He was p1ssed because it means Pats closed the gap to a point on Sligo. He is known for being a cocky sh1t talker anyway!

Mark Rossitter was among many players who called him out!

http://https://twitter.com/rossi3234/status/791000412010713089

I didn't hear the full story lads and thought he was only taking the p*ss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭ahlookit

Alan Judge reckons Hogan wants to play for Ireland:
    “I think he will come and play for us, he’s not stalling for a better offer, he has the right to take his time after two years of hell with injury. He’s played every minute of every game for us this season so he sees the international breaks as a chance to recover. If he does come and play for Ireland, he will be worth waiting for. He’s a good striker, quick and strong and he’s a natural goalscorer,” says Dubliner Judge.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/scott-hogan-will-come-play-for-usi-honestly-dont-think-he-is-holding-out-for-an-offer-from-england-35169298.html

He might have had a poor career as a player but he's had a couple of impressive runs as manager, bringing Kilmarnock to their first League Cup and their first silverware in 15 years and doing well at Derry.

But the man has some mouth alright, he just can't shut up. It's like he has no filter.

Brentford in action tonight on Sky if people want a closer view of Hogan in what should be a decent contest

Another Irish lad at CB, John Egan. Signed in Summer and has nailed his place in the team, as he did at Gillingham for the last couple of years playing almost 100 games over the last few seasons. . Scores a few goals also.

Gillingham fans said he could be premier league level, just looking at some of their fans forums here. Can play holding MF also

Brentford in action tonight on Sky if people want a closer view of Hogan in what should be a decent contest

Another Irish lad at CB, John Egan. Signed in Summer and has nailed his place in the team, as he did at Gillingham for the last couple of years playing almost 100 games over the last few seasons. Interesting. Scores a few goals also.
    Egan has been one of Brentfords best players this season,has made the set up to championship very well so far.

• Advertisement

Egan has been one of Brentfords best players this season,has made the set up to championship very well so far.

Gillingham fans loved him. said he could be premier league level, just looking at some of their fans forums here. Can play holding MF also

Gillingham fans loved him. said he could be premier league level, just looking at some of their fans forums here. Can play holding MF also

Yeah they rated him big time and in fairness he was much better than that level.A few seasons at championship will do him no harm but if he keeps up this form Im sure a few EPL teams will take notice,only recently turned 24 so no panic .

I have never heard of him playing midfield at club level,dont think he has played there since Ireland under age teams.

Very impressive tonight anyway.
    Very confident and commanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭ahlookit

His dad was a Kerry GAA legend, won 6 all Irelands. Nice feature on him here, it's a couple of years old, filmed while he was still at Gillingham

ahlookit wrote: »
    His dad was a Kerry GAA legend, won 6 all Irelands. Nice feature on him here, it's a couple of years old, filmed while he was still at Gillingham

https://vimeo.com/133138815

I think he was also featured in a documentary while at Sunderland.The name escapes me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,931 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

After his and his partners tragic loss last year Harry Arter has said today he and partner are expecting a new child.

I wish them both well with their great news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I see it's that time of year again when McClean gets bashed by the poppy fascists. The Daily Record in Scotland have done a piece on him asking if people respected his right not to wear the poppy: 55 % said yes, 45% no.

The Mirror have also done a piece and have ran the same poll: 67& said they supported his right not to wear the poppy, 33% said no.

Nice to see most people have a bit of cop on.

I see it's that time of year again when McClean gets bashed by the poppy fascists. The Daily Record in Scotland have done a piece on him asking if people respected his right not to wear the poppy: 55 % said yes, 45% no.

The Mirror have also done a piece and have ran the same poll: 67& said they supported his right not to wear the poppy, 33% said no.

Nice to see most people have a bit of cop on.

Tabloids putting out such polls is where the problems emanate from. Draws more attention to it all.
    I can guarantee you 90% or more who trash him on twitter during the couple of weeks don't even wear one themselves.
    I am sure it was annoying for him at the start, probably spurs him on now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

John O'Shea and Stephen Ward both went off with knocks yesterday. Possibly opens the door for John Egan and a few others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Hopefully both are okay in time for the Austria game, I think Shane Duffy needs to be benched for this game, he will have a long career in a green jersey I'm sure but he needs to cut out the lapses in concentration and this will be one of the toughest games of the campaign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Hopefully both are okay in time for the Austria game, I think Shane Duffy needs to be benched for this game, he will have a long career in a green jersey I'm sure but he needs to cut out the lapses in concentration and this will be one of the toughest games of the campaign.

I'd drop Clark before I'd drop Duffy

• Advertisement

Republic of Ireland Provisional Squad
    Goalkeepers: Darren Randolph (West Ham United), Keiren Westwood (Sheffield Wednesday), Colin Doyle (Bradford City), Ian Lawlor (Manchester City), Danny Rogers (Falkirk*)

Defenders: Seamus Coleman (Everton), Cyrus Christie, Richard Keogh, Alex Pearce (Derby County), John O'Shea (Sunderland), Ciaran Clark (Newcastle United), Paul McShane (Reading), Shane Duffy (Brighton & Hove Albion), Andy Boyle (Dundalk), Stephen Ward (Burnley)

Midfielders: Aiden McGeady (Preston North End*), James McClean (West Bromwich Albion), Jeff Hendrick (Burnley), James McCarthy (Everton), Stephen Quinn (Reading), Glenn Whelan (Stoke City), Harry Arter (Bournemouth), Eunan O'Kane (Leeds United), David Meyler (Hull City), Stephen Gleeson (Birmingham City), Conor Hourihane (Barnsley), Robbie Brady, Wes Hoolahan (Norwich City), Callum O'Dowda (Bristol City), Jonathan Hayes (Aberdeen), Daryl Horgan (Dundalk)

Forwards: Jonathan Walters (Stoke City), Adam Rooney (Aberdeen), Kevin Doyle (Colorado Rapids), David McGoldrick (Ipswich Town)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Forward line is worrying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

35 players, how many do we shed for the final squad does anyone know offhand? Are we limited to 23 like tournaments?

Either way, those forwards make for a depressing quartet - without Shane Long, we look far worse off. And even with him...

Hoping that the final squad includes Lawlor, Arter, Hourihane, O'Dowda and Horgan anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,976 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Looking bad for us and Scott Hogan

Where's Daryl Murphy ?

Long is going to be a huge loss

It'll have to be Walters up front as the main striker, I hope he stays fit.

PTH2009 wrote: »

Where's Daryl Murphy ?

Murphy's injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I remember once Jose Mourinho put out a 4-6-0 formation for Chelsea in the Premiership.
    If its good enough for them, then its good enough for us!! :pac:

It's worrying when we call up more keepers than strikers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,976 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Hope Arter makes it on the 23

Knowing his look he will prob slip getting out of the plane or something lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Glad to see Horgan get recognition. He's there on merit, if you've seen him play you'll know it's not token whatsoever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Godot.

Calling up 5 goalkeepers while just 4 strikers in a 34 man provisional squad is a bit weird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Hope Arter makes it on the 23

Knowing his look he will prob slip getting out of the plane or something lol

So can we take it he has now put to bed the England rumours?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

I think O'Neill or Keane was asked about why they name so many players in the preliminary squad. You could have one or two extra on standby in case of injuries, but 35 is a lot.

They said it lets players know that even if they aren't in the final squad, they are in the management's thoughts and not too far away

Where's Daryl Murphy ?

We all know the craic with Hogan by now. He is doing the right thing at this moment in time for long term. Been through bad few years with injuries and getting that rest will, in the long term, reduce the chances of further injuries. I have had ACL injuries and Meniscus injuries before and, trust me, the first year back is the worst. If you dont look after it then and get recuperation time, you will fk it up in long term and be a half cripple come mid 30s. Obviously the recovery is different at professional level but training every day takes its toll.

Hopefully after the season ends and his confidence fully intact he will make a decision.

JustTheOne wrote: »

WELL put to bed. Load of nonsense!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

JustTheOne wrote: »

He's put them to bed several times

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Godot. wrote: »
    Calling up 5 goalkeepers while just 4 strikers in a 34 man provisional squad is a bit weird.

It is a bit scary. Austria is such a huge game. Wouldn't be surprised to see McClean pushed into a very forward role alongside JW at some stage in the second half if we go behind,

Patww79 wrote: »

Righteo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Considering Doyle and Rooney are there, it's surprising not to see Paddy Madden included in the squad. Just back fit and in form for the team top of League 1. Probably no difference between that and the SPL/MLS.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement