Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

wardides wrote: »
    Because playing "european football" is, in my head, reserved for getting the chance to pit yourself against some of the better teams in Europe. And people are using this phrase to argue that this "level" is better then what players are facing whilst playing in the Championship. My point is, I don't think anyone out of the teams Dundalk have played have been anywhere close to being above a Championship standard making the comparison of European vs Championship level redundant.

So your point is that BATE, who've qualified for the CL for the last 5 years or so, are championship level??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭kksaints

They definitely wouldn't be far off it?? What level, in comparison to Premier League teams would you envisage they are? AZ Alkmaar also wouldn't be at much in Premier League?

Look at the bigger picture

BATE have beaten Roma and Bilbao in the last two CL. They've also drawn with Leverkusen. They would be of a premier league standard I reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

kksaints wrote: »
    BATE have beaten Roma and Bilbao in the last two CL. They've also drawn with Leverkusen. They would be of a premier league standard I reckon.

Oh, don't get me wrong, they would contend on a game to game basis but they would struggle in the PL over a whole season to get a top 12 or 13 position. It is hard to call but, yeah, as I said they have had some spectacular European results of late.

I am just saying they wouldn't be far off a lot of teams in the PL in lower positions, meaning, on essence, they wouldn't be far off the Championship.

Still a brilliant result for Dundalk, noone can say otherwise.

I deleted my earlier message after editing it as I was slightly contradicting myself, just to clarify! And didn't want to get into a riff raff here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

So your point is that BATE, who've qualified for the CL for the last 5 years or so, are championship level??

Blinded by love for the English leagues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

kksaints wrote: »

They were diabolical against Dundalk though.I genuinely couldn't believe how bad they were and it had nothing to do with Dundalk playing well (which they did) BATE were plain awful and could barely put 2 passes together.

For a team with a big reputation they were very poor so I'd say the days of those good results are well in the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭Alfa Quadrifoglio

There is no question Horgan is the standard (as is Andy Boyle and in my opinion Patrick McEleney), he has shown his quality against regular Internationals playing in the Champions League qualifiers and the Europa league.
    Lets reflect on what Horgan and Dundalk have achieved.1) they knocked out the Icelandic champions from the CL, 2) they hammered BATE Borisov the Belarussian Champions and CL Group stage regulars for the last 5 years 3) they ran the Polish Champions Legia Warsaw close, home and away, attracting over 30,000 to the Aviva.
    Then with a crazy FAI Cup and Airtricity League schedule they: 4) drew away to AZ Alkmaar equalising when they had just 10 men after captain Stephen O'Donnell was sent off 5) beat Maccabi Tel Aviv who are normally the Israeli champions and were in last years CL Group stages and finally when their schedule really intensified playing 3 games a week ran Zenit CL regulars to the edge in both Tallaght and St Petersburg. All along playing a hi tempo passing game ...very little hoofing here.
    Dundalk are an exceptional League of Ireland team, one in a lifetime perhaps, and they have players who have clearly shown they are International standard by playing and beating Internationals in european competition.
    I was going to finish by saying Dundalk are way ahead of the rest of the League but amazingly Cork City are not far off them which makes this Sundays Cup Final one to savour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

If this Dundalk team were to play this Ireland team, I wouldn't be confident in predicting a winner.

I would be very surprised if O'Neil gave Horgan a run out but he must seriously be considering it, he is the most in form player we have at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭Guffy

I would be very surprised if O'Neil gave Horgan a run out but he must seriously be considering it, he is the most in form player we have at the moment.

I think the sad thing is, even given his form, I still wouldn't be shocked if he wasn't called into the final squad. In fact i would be surprised if he was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

If this Dundalk team were to play this Ireland team, I wouldn't be confident in predicting a winner.

I would say Arter is our most in form player .He's been immense for Bournemouth but is another who probably won't feature v Austria.

• Advertisement

Oh, don't get me wrong, they would contend on a game to game basis but they would struggle in the PL over a whole season to get a top 12 or 13 position. It is hard to call but, yeah, as I said they have had some spectacular European results of late.

I am just saying they wouldn't be far off a lot of teams in the PL in lower positions, meaning, on essence, they wouldn't be far off the Championship.

Still a brilliant result for Dundalk, noone can say otherwise.

I deleted my earlier message after editing it as I was slightly contradicting myself, just to clarify! And didn't want to get into a riff raff here!

That's backtracking nonsense. Championship level is now mid table Premier League level????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭Alfa Quadrifoglio

yabadabado wrote: »
    I would say Arter is our most in form player .He's been immense for Bournemouth but is another who probably won't feature v Austria.

Agree 100%, Harry Arter is a gem, like Daryl Horgan he will make a real difference. While I am at it Conor Hourihane of Barnsley is one for the future also a real talent.

That's backtracking nonsense. Championship level is now mid table Premier League level????

I said they aren't far off. I didn't say they WERE.
    Not backtracking at all. I don't think Bate are mid level PL team, I think over the course of a season, they would do well to be above 12th or 13th.

It was the other guy who said they were Championship level or insinuated same. I just would consider there squad which consists of all but 5 Belarusians would struggle as a whole in the PL.

I could be wrong though. Its all ifs and buts and I don't want to play the ifs and buts game!!

Thats why I originally deleted my message straight away almost! But the other poster quoted it!

Anyway, we have had the "what level are Dundalk compared to English league sides debate so many times over the last couple of months and it is extremely tiresome!

I think Horgan, for what its worth would be a perfectly suited player to the PL, 40 to 50 % of squads he would play a decent part over the season and would easily fit into starting sides in a decent proportion of these.

The lad is a dime of a player, evasive, intelligent, brave and deceptively strong and can finish and cross. Might need to work on his positional sense if the team is under pressure but, saying that, he is the perfect counter attacker player at times and someone who would fit right into an Irish attacking unit when we are chasing a goal or against sides we can dominate..

If we are playing for a draw in Vienna (and we all know that will be MON's "general" mindset,) he most definitely wouldn't be a starter, and won't come on if we are seeing out a draw either.

He is on such a intuitive chemistry, tactical sense, with his Dundalk teammates and such a connection with new set of players might need time adapting.

I said they aren't far off. I didn't say they WERE.
    Not backtracking at all. I don't think Bate are mid level PL team, I think over the course of a season, they would do well to be above 12th or 13th.

It was the other guy who said they were Championship level or insinuated same. I just would consider there squad which consists of all but 5 Belarusians would struggle as a whole in the PL.

I could be wrong though. Its all ifs and buts and I don't want to play the ifs and buts game!!

Thats why I originally deleted my message straight away almost! But the other poster quoted it!

Anyway, we have had the "what level are Dundalk compared to English league sides debate so many times over the last couple of months and it is extremely tiresome!

I think Horgan, for what its worth would be a perfectly suited player to the PL, 40 to 50 % of squads he would play a decent part over the season and would easily fit into starting sides in a decent proportion of these.

The lad is a dime of a player, evasive, intelligent, brave and deceptively strong and can finish and cross. Might need to work on his positional sense if the team is under pressure but, saying that, he is the perfect counter attacker player at times and someone who would fit right into an Irish attacking unit when we are chasing a goal or against sides we can dominate..

If we are playing for a draw in Vienna (and we all know that will be MON's "general" mindset,) he most definitely wouldn't be a starter, and won't come on if we are seeing out a draw either.

He is on such a intuitive chemistry, tactical sense, with his Dundalk teammates and such a connection with new set of players might need time adapting.

The last paragraph is absolute nonsense as well. You must be fairly new to football and got your info by reading about it?? Or at least never played to a decent level. I'm actually gobsmacked at how ludicrous it is.

The last paragraph is absolute nonsense as well. You must be fairly new to football and got your info by reading about it?? Or at least never played to a decent level. I'm actually gobsmacked at how ludicrous it is.

oh, grow up, you child!! Take your squabbles elsewhere! I am not going to go into the "I've played to a higher level than you" or "I am more knowledgeable than you" ct%p after a couple of posts. I tried to engage in a mature level with you but you resorted to personal attack. What do you expect me to furnish you with??? My sporting CV. Christ. !

And, yes, the final paragraph makes perfect sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

That's a terrible comment. Anyone could copy/paste that post and apply it to any other post they don't like.

Actually I could fire it back at you right now if I was a bit of a tool.
    See how easy it is?

Maybe you could give reasons for your absolute horror about said paragraph instead of throwing down cheap insults from the high horse.

Or do I need to have played at a level like you in the game to venture an opinion....? Up at 2am... No cup finals tomorrow?

• Advertisement

I've never heard about this taking time to adapt to the squad crap. People are literally finding excuses for MON to use when he's not called up.

There's no excuse for not bringing him now. He's been incredible and a magic fliight to the uk shouldn't be needed when you're also performing in the Europa League group stages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,991 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Patww79 wrote: »
    I know he's fairly down the leagues, but has Forrester ever made one of the larger 30+ squads for a look? Any time I've seen him he's looked very good and surely the level wouldn't be that different to the SPL.

Yeah he has made one or two extended squads. Youngfella is gifted in my opinion and I'd have him in the squad any day, reminds me of nobody but Wes Hoolahan.

oh, grow up, you child!! Take your squabbles elsewhere! I am not going to go into the "I've played to a higher level than you" or "I am more knowledgeable than you" ct%p after a couple of posts. I tried to engage in a mature level with you but you resorted to personal attack. What do you expect me to furnish you with??? My sporting CV. Christ. !

And, yes, the final paragraph makes perfect sense.

The final paragraph is hogwash. What book did you read about it in?? Football is football. Good players adapt, they don't need time to spiritually connect with new players. They don't need three months of intense hugging sessions to feel at one with new players 😂😂 Reading it back it is actually hilarious.

• Advertisement

SantryRed wrote: »
    I've never heard about this taking time to adapt to the squad crap. People are literally finding excuses for MON to use when he's not called up.

There's no excuse for not bringing him now. He's been incredible and a magic fliight to the uk shouldn't be needed when you're also performing in the Europa League group stages.

But he won't have an "intuitive chemistry" with the Irish lads hahahaha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Thats a load of bollix.

I'm sorry. But Adam Rooney is in the squad. I'd easily argue that Dundalk have played at a higher level than Aberdeen this year. Unless 4 games against Celtic is enough to justify not?

His biggest issues would be that he'd have no respect from most of the other players and that O'Neill's football wouldn't suit him at all unless he becomes good at getting under a Stephen Ward hoof 20 times a game.

No way Mr. Conservative picks him in the 23 anyway, this is all just a token from him.

That first part of that sentence is absolute nonsense. Absolutely clueless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Vex Willems

Ya, yet I count only three players in that squad still playing European football and two of them are from Dundalk!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

A lot of the squad came from LoI, I doubt they'd be looking down on Horgan, I think they would have great respect for his achievements. I think Horgan is in a position to look down on some of them.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement

Why people are calling it bollix is because you've already got people in the Irish squad like Wes and James McClean plus others who have worked their socks off in the LOI before heading across the sea and would welcome him with open arms because they'll know what it's like working hard in your own national league trying to get noticed and see his inclusion as a stepping stone for a lot of young guys playing at home and to say that you don't have to head abroad to just to make it into the Ireland squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭wardides

Blinded by love for the English leagues.

What absolute rubbish, you havn't a breeze about my opinion on English football.

This whole blood argument is pointless anyway. It was Richie Towell last year, it's Horgan this year and it will be somebody else next year.

I predict than within a year Daryl Horgan will become the new Wes Hoolahan/Andy Reid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Cyrus Christie knock before HT, came back out but limped off and substituted early in second half.

Cyrus Christie knock before HT, came back out but limped off and substituted early in second half.

Be grand, Sean Gannon will easily fit in at RB :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I predict than within a year Daryl Horgan will become the new Wes Hoolahan/Andy Reid.

You mean players who should have been picked at particular times in the recent past?

wardides wrote: »
    What absolute rubbish, you havn't a breeze about my opinion on English football.

Your opinion hasn't made any sense at all and the fact you've jumped on only four words from my whole post proves that.

Corholio wrote: »
    You mean players who should have been picked at particular times in the recent past?

No.just a campaign will be launched about how un-just their exclusion is regardless of how deserving they were and the manager despite getting good results using his own methods won't be given the benefit of the doubt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

No.just a campaign will be launched about how un-just their exclusion is regardless of how deserving they were and the manager despite getting good results using his own methods won't be given the benefit of the doubt.

Ah yes I thought that would be it alright.

It comes down to should he be in the squad, imo only people who dislike LOI or those who can't see our complete lack of wingers would say he woudn't deserve an inclusion. Whatever about 'campaigns' that's what it comes down to. At the time Reid deserved an inclusion too, but it's easy to rewrite it now because he's not heard from years later.

Corholio wrote: »
    Ah yes I thought that would be it alright.

It comes down to should he be in the squad, imo only people who dislike LOI or those who can't see our complete lack of wingers would say he woudn't deserve an inclusion. Whatever about 'campaigns' that's what it comes down to. At the time Reid deserved an inclusion too, but it's easy to rewrite it now because he's not heard from years later.

Horgan should be in the squad but no more than that at the moment.

Reid was a good player but clearly didn't fully suit Trapatoni's vision and he was pretty successful up until the final qualification campaign when Reid wasn't good enough for inclusion at that stage. Trapatoni wasn't given the benefit of the doubt by a lot of people though.

Of course. Professional footballers are renowned as decent down to earth people. What was I thinking?

Have you spoken to any of the Irish squad? Been in their company? Listened to any interview of ANY new player who's ever joined up with the Irish squad for the first time?? Most professional footballers are, shock horror, decent down to earth people.

Your opinion hasn't made any sense at all and the fact you've jumped on only four words from my whole post proves that.

I quoted your entire post there. My opinion doesn't make any sense because it doesn't lie in with the usual Ireland fans who need something to moan about brigade. We will see where Horgan is in 3 years and then we can see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

When's the final squad announced?

The_B_Man wrote: »
    When's the final squad announced?

Just announced, cant link to it but Boyle and Horgan have both being named in the 28 man squad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

GK: Randolph, Westwood, Doyle

DF: Coleman, Keogh, Pearce, O'Shea, McShane, Clark, Duffy, Boyle

MD: McGeady, McClean, Hendrick, Whelan, Arter, O'Kane, Meyler, Gleeson, Brady, Hoolahan, O'Dowda, Hayes, Horgan

FR: Walters, Rooney, Doyle, McGoldrick

Injuries to Christie and Ward ruling them out - real lack of full backs in this squad is my only concern [aside from the issues that we knew about, like Longs injury], but delighted to see Horgan and Boyle in there.

Apologies if I missed someone typing that out - think I got them all. Couldn't find a list to copy and paste from anywhere!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

One full back in the team, Ward and McCarthy both ruled out. Horgan has a real chance of seeing game time I would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Really hope we see Arter play.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement