Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Randolph
    Coleman - O'Shea - Clark - Brady
    Whelan - Arter
    Hendrick - Hoolahan - Horgan
    Walters

That would be the team I'd pick anyway, doubt Martin will think the same however :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Patww79 wrote: »

Striker situation is fairly dire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Is it not usually a 23 man squad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

https://twitter.com/SSEAirtricityLg/status/795725833277177856

About time. Delighted for Horgan & Boyle. Great day for LOI football.

Lets see if they make the 23 man squad for the game. Can't be having 17 substitutes.

Hopefully will give Horgan enough time to make his mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

A wonderful day for Irish football. Lads who play the game in Ireland can hold their heads up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭9de5q7tsr8u2im

28 man squad?
    11 starting and 3 subs, 14 out of 28 will be playing why is the selection so high why not lower?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭Alfa Quadrifoglio

Delighted for both of the Dundalk boys, Austria on Saturday night in a World Cup qualifier and then AZ Alkmaar in the Europa League Group game the following Thursday week in Tallaght .... living the dream and playing in the League of Ireland!
    Horgans goal against Zenit St Petersburg, who were packed with Internationals including the brilliant Alex Witsel who scored for Belgium against Ireland in the Euros.

https://twitter.com/eirSport/status/794256963215491073?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

I'd imagine there's a chance they won't make the plane. Surely 28 players aren't travelling to Austria. 28 man squad almost seems like a cop out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,991 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

SantryRed wrote: »
    I'd imagine there's a chance they won't make the plane. Surely 28 players aren't travelling to Austria. 28 man squad almost seems like a cop out.

Seems like it, name them in a 28 man squad and then cut it again a day or two out from the game. Really hope the two lads are in the match day squad, would really send out a statement to the youngster that you dont need to move abroad to maybe one day represent your country that stay at home and work your socks off and you just might get recognised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Understandable that a lot of attention goes to Horgan and Boyle, but for me this game is all about Arter. Baumgartlinger worried me with his impressive performance against Spurs in the CL. The guy won so many tackles. If we are going to win or at least hold our own in midfield then Arter is essential imo.

Do people think Hoolahan will start? I can see MON using him as a sub.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

I'd imagine we will see something like this:

Randolph
    Coleman, O'Shark, Keoffy, Brady
    Hoolahan, Hendrick, Whelan, Arter, McClean
    Walters

Centre backs are anyones guess.
    Given the players available, could we see a 3-5-2?
    Coleman and Brady as wing backs, McClean up top beside Walters, with Arter or Hoolahan dropping out of the team above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Mr. Guappa wrote: »

Randolph
    Walters

Coleman and Brady as wing backs, McClean up top beside Walters, with Arter or Hoolahan dropping out of the team above.
    I like the look of O'Shark, he chases people down well and has plenty of bite about him pacman.gif

Would like to see the above team, think it would be the strongest we could put out, given the few absentees. MON has no reason at all not to start Arter but I could see him starting McGeady over Hoolihan given it's a tough away game.

Getting a bit nervy about this game, we really can't afford to lose it or we'll have lost a bit of ground and made last months good results count for little. Austria are a strange team the last few years, they are either really good or really bad. Hopefully it'll be the latter on Saturday but they know they need a result having been beaten by Serbia the last day.
    Worth also keeping an eye on Wales v Serbia, a draw there wouldn't be too bad I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

If Arter Starts I think we can win Saturday.

Imagine that a away win agsinst decent side ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

One of the sh!ttest strike forces we've had in decades. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Think it will look like the below
    Randolph
    Coleman-Duffy-Clark-Brady
    Arter-Whelan-Hendrick
    McGeady-Walters-McClean

Would prefer to move Clark out LB and bring in Keogh and drop Whelan and replace McGeady with Horgan but that wont happen!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,611 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Mr. Guappa wrote: »

Randolph
    Walters

O'Neill used to do a 3-5-2 with Celtic in Europe. We definitely have the wing backs for that formation and to get the most out of them a 3-5-2 would suit.

Randolph
    Clark, O'Shea, Duffy
    Coleman Hendrick, Hoolahan, Whelan, Brady
    Walters McClean

You could put Hoolahan up front with Walters and Arter in his spot with McClean coming on as a sub. Or bring Hoolahan on as a sub for McClean or Arter. Lots of options there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

My guess:

Randolph
    Coleman - Duffy - Clark - Brady
    Whelan - Arter
    Hendrick - Hoolahan - McClean
    Walters

With Walters taking up a more defensive role as we try soak up pressure, McClean probably playing on the shoulder in an effort to break.

I actually wouldn't be surprised to see Meyler in there in place of Hoolahan or Arter too - as I said last week, this one will not be pretty!

My preference:

Randolph
    Coleman - Keogh - Clark - Brady
    Hendrick - Whelan - Arter
    McClean - Walters - O'Dowda

The clamour for Horgan to start is understandable but it's not gonna happen I'd say - MON is reluctant to give anyone their first outing in a competitive game and I don't see that changing.

Do we not have any other full-backs? I know Christie is injured but surely we have someone that could fill in on the left so that Brady could stay forward?

Aaaand, finally...

For all the 'why do we have 28 players'?

3/4 are fitness concerns and will be assessed by the Ireland set-up. O'Kane has sat out training, O'Shea is an injury doubt, I presume others will be there too.

It makes more sense to bring everyone that may be included and have them training, getting used to tactics, etc instead of having to call up players the day before if we lose a few through injury. Means a more seamless transition if we do have to look to the fringe players.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭wardides

TheCitizen wrote: »
    O'Neill used to do a 3-5-2 with Celtic in Europe. We definitely have the wing backs for that formation and to get the most out of them a 3-5-2 would suit.

Randolph
    Clark, O'Shea, Duffy
    Coleman Hendrick, Hoolahan, Whelan, Brady
    Walters McClean

You could put Hoolahan up front with Walters and Arter in his spot with McClean coming on as a sub. Or bring Hoolahan on as a sub for McClean or Arter. Lots of options there.

Probably due to the amount of time he has to work the players I would have thought. I've been banging this drum since MON came in, think we have an ideal squad to use 3-5-2, could nearly pull Brady in the middle and play McLean at LWB against smaller sides. Doubt it will happen though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Do we not have any other full-backs? I know Christie is injured but surely we have someone that could fill in on the left so that Brady could stay forward?

He could have called up Preston's Greg Cunningham but he's decided against that. I didn't realise Ward was injured; that's a shame.

I'm quite worried about this fixture. I have a bad feeling we're going to slip up here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

He"ll play his favoured 5-5-0 formation and hope for 0-0 :(:(:(

• Can somebody remind me where Shane is at

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Randolph; Coleman, Keogh, Clark, Brady; Whelan, Arter, Hendrick, Hoolahan, McClean; Walters is what I think he will go with, but as others have said the centre halves are anyones guess. I can't see Horgan starting and maybe rightly so, but he would definitely be my first choice attacking player off the bench. If we are down at any stage and he brings on McGeady and Doyle I can't see us coming back into the game. We are down to the bare bones really and the injury to Shane Long is really showing up how weak we are up front. I also have a bad feeling going into this game and I'd take a boring 0-0 now if you offered it to me, a defeat isn't an absolute disaster but it would put a lot of pressure on us going into the Wales game, whereas a point would put us in a good position going into it.

Massive game for Harry Arter, who has to start IMO, if he puts in a good performance and we manage to come away undefeated I'm sure he will become a fans favourite very quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

So the mystery of Roy's new found beard-love has been solved. The poor divil is balding. I'm with you all the way Keano.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Mc Clean is doubtful. RTE News.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,311 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Mc Clean is doubtful. RTE News.

Seen that. Worrying..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,743 ✭✭✭Worztron

I predict 1-1.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

I guess it would have been the height of cheek to beg Robbie Keane, but the options are pretty grim when Long is out...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,991 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

I guess it would have been the height of cheek to beg Robbie Keane, but the options are pretty grim when Long is out...

Think Clinton Morrison is still playing ball somewhere. While the options are grim beyond Long I think it's even worse that they gotta call the likes of Doyle into squad instead of maybe bringing in a youngster from the 21s to get him some experience around the squad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

No offence but Robbie Keane coming back? The options aren't anywhere close to that stage.
    Walters can do the job perfectly well.

The plan will be to go for a 0-0 and use a lone forward imo, which leaves the lone forward running his wee sacks off and Walters is pretty good at that role, he's a work-horse by nature.

Robbie Keane wouldn't have been able to do that role aptly a year ago, let alone now.

People need to move on a bit from Robbie keane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭Guffy

People need to move on a bit from Robbie keane

Or back... to Doyle

Paddy Madden should without doubt be in the squad at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,976 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Does anyone else think Daryl Horgan and Damien Duff lookalike ?

Love to see Horgan get a start. Arter needs to start, I'd put Mcgoldrick up front

• Registered Users Posts: 8,743 ✭✭✭Worztron

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Does anyone else think Daryl Horgan and Damien Duff lookalike ?

Love to see Horgan get a start. Arter needs to start, I'd put Mcgoldrick up front

From a distance there's a similarity alright.

Agreed, Horgan should start - def Arter also.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Horgan should start BUT there's not a chance MON will start him.
    Doubt he'll start Arter either. MON far too conservative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Horgan instead of McLean??

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Any thoughts on the whole Keane v Koeman spat?

I'm not sure engaging in a fight with a club is smart...but on the other hand kinda enjoy seeing someone come out and question the tendency of some clubs to have players who get injured around about international duty time, or moan about players called up to represent their country. I think in the long run clubs would get more by celebrating the recognition of their players, rather than seeing it as a confrontation. It's easy for Koeman now to make pronouncements, but he togged out 78 times for Holland...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Any thoughts on the whole Keane v Koeman spat?

I'm not sure engaging in a fight with a club is smart...but on the other hand kinda enjoy seeing someone come out and question the tendency of some clubs to have players who get injured around about international duty time, or moan about players called up to represent their country. I think in the long run clubs would get more by celebrating the recognition of their players, rather than seeing it as a confrontation. It's easy for Koeman now to make pronouncements, but he togged out 78 times for Holland...

Didn't think it wise given McCarthy had just played two internationals ( Georgia and Moldova) in 3 days for Ireland despite not having played for his club for a while against the wishes of Koeman.

Surely the benefit of the doubt is merited in light of this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

This one really is about the result though. A draw here would be some result

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭9de5q7tsr8u2im

Austria to win seems like the only option of the result happening

Bowlardo wrote: »

Absolutely, even with the injuries I think we're more than capable of getting the draw.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Bowlardo wrote: »

Absolutely, even with the injuries I think we're more than capable of getting the draw.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭ahlookit

Tyson Fury wrote: »

Once we don't attempt a Harry's Challenge today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Jaysus, Charlie Bicholas has backed us for a 0-1 win (Hoolahan).

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/12090/10652042/charlie-nicholas-predictions-england-too-strong-for-scotland-wales-to-beat-serbia

I remember him predicting a bad time for us in Bosnia a year ago!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭eamonpk

I think Arter is fairly certain to start but doubt Horgan will
    Ireland have injuries but so do Austria and I would be confident of getting some sort of result as Austria haven't been that great recently. It is Austria that are going into this game under pressure and need the 3 points

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

MON is conservative so he could definitely be forgiven if he doesn't start Horgan, but Arter is a must start IMO. He has been the best Irish player in the premier league this season and he definitely has a point to prove to Irish fans after missing so many games in the past, it seems as if this is the perfect chance for him to make an impression and I'm confident that he will if he starts. McCarthy, Quinn and O'Kane are all out injured the the only other alternative to Arter would be Meyler, if Meyler were to start instead of Arter it would scream that we are going out here playing for a 0-0. Shane Long is a huge loss the more I think about it.

Is kick off at 5.00pm Irish time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,611 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

I think Arter will start, it will be his first start in a competitive fixture but that's because he's been usually unavailable, not because MON left him out because he was "too conservative". I don't think you could throw Horgan in at the deep end in this game, he might get on for a few minutes towards the end depending on the score.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement