Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2017

Comments

• I think this is possible fantastic result. Group is there for the taking
    Come on blow it up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

Surely a draw is the best result no? We stay top by 2 points and play next game against Wales which even if we lost, we would still stay above them. And if Serbia lose or draw we would still be top. Serbia win and we draw with Wales and we're still top or maybe second depending on goal difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Any suspensions for Wales for the Irish match?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭ahlookit

Yeah, think that draw is better for us ... we've gone to Serbia already.. that result puts a lot of pressure on Wales coming to Dublin. If we beat them we go 7 points clear of them. We've got a bit of momentum going now, and Wales are losing their way a bit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,991 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Surely a draw is the best result no? We stay top by 2 points and play next game against Wales which even if we lost, we would still stay above them. And if Serbia lose or draw we would still be top. Serbia win and we draw with Wales and we're still top or maybe second depending on goal difference.

Of course, any result which means Ireland are first in the group is a good result seeing as finishing second possibly might not be good enough for a play-off spot I think.

Of course the draw is best result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Salmon

Any suspensions for Wales for the Irish match?

Dont think they will be missing anyone! There were 3 or 4 of their best players booked alright, but it was a first yellow in each case, as far as i could see. I kept hoping the little "Misses next game" graphic appeared, but to no avail!!!:mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

That game against Wales in Dublin is going to be huge. After that game Wales have got to go away to Serbia which as we know is a tough match. If we can beat Wales at home then it's going to be really hard for them.

Shame it's a long wait for the next one but at least we can enjoy the feeling of being top.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Not sure that goal for Serbia is good for us or not. I think we can beat Wales. Serbia might be a tougher nut to crack.

We can't say with any certainty if that was a good result for or not, but my initial thought is that it is indeed a good outcome.

As it stands, Serbia are our main competition for top spot and we've already taken a point away to them.

Plus, from a purely mathematical point of view, there was 3 points up for grabs, and only 2 were availed of so that can't be bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Great day for the Republic

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

Salmon wrote: »
    Dont think they will be missing anyone! There was 3 or 4 of their best players booked alright, but it was a first yellow in each case, as far as i could see. I kept hoping the little "Misses next game" graphic appeared, but to no avail!!!:mad::mad::mad:

Anyway, not the end of the world Brady being out. Barring injuries, Ward will slot back in, McClean on left, Walter on right, Arter, Hendrick, Whelan (I can hear the calamity on the horizon about Meyler, inevitably now though!), Wes and Long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

I think the draw was good as well. Keeps us in top spot by two points and keeps Wales four points back. We've also played three away games.

If we can take three points from Moldova at home and three from a tricky Georgia away trip we'll only need a few more to nail down a playoff spot. But obviously we have to be looking at finishing top now.

It's good to sitting top instead of looking up hoping for slip ups.

Fromvert wrote: »
    I think the draw was good as well. Keeps us in top spot by two points and keeps Wales four points back. We've also played three away games.

If we can take three points from Moldova at home and three from a tricky Georgia away trip we'll only need a few more to nail down a playoff spot. But obviously we have to be looking at finishing top now.

It's good to sitting top instead of looking up hoping for slip ups.

Only noticed that myself as well, with 6 games remaining Ireland have 4 of them at home and think it's 4 home games in a row with Georgia away and Wales away as the final two games. A win against Wales next March and Serbia dropping points away to Georgia then really fancy Ireland to top the group for automatic qualification.

Next two games against Wales & Austria at home. Wont be easy, but both winnable. Two wins there and we are in great shape...

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mocha Joe

Anyway, not the end of the world Brady being out. Barring injuries, Ward will slot back in, McClean on left, Walter on right, Arter, Hendrick, Whelan (I can hear the calamity on the horizon about Meyler, inevitably now though!), Wes and Long.

3-5-2 formation? Or 3-6-1?

Mocha Joe wrote: »
    3-5-2 formation? Or 3-6-1?

4-4-1-1

Or am I missing something here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,917 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

ahlookit wrote: »
    Next two games against Wales & Austria at home. Wont be easy, but both winnable. Two wins there and we are in great shape...

I saw a few of the Welsh fellas interviews and they are justifiably sickened.
    Joe Ledley said "we have to take the positives we are undefeated" :D.

As for the game against Ireland I think it is a pity there is such a long wait until Ireland play Wales because with momentum Ireland have a better chance of winning.

I am wary of the Welsh games now. I suppose Ireland's hope of qualifying depends on stopping Bale, but that is easier said then done.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,202 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

24/3 Home to Wales
    11/6 Home to Austria
    2/9 Away to Georgia
    5/9 Home to Serbia
    6/10 Home to Moldova
    9/10 Away to Wales

It's definitely there for the taking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Great shape? That's an understatement. Two wins in our next two and we're as good as through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

NufcNavan wrote: »
    Great shape? That's an understatement. Two wins in our next two and we're as good as through.

Nah.

Serbia also win their next two then gap would still be two points.

Then we go to Georgia - absolutely not a guaranteed win. I still hold out massive hope Wales or Serbia themselves could drop pointa there.

Even if we did win, next game would be Serbia at home who.could conceivably overtake us with a win.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

It's nice to have so many home games ahead but a part of me feels like we're playing better away these days. Seems to suit us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

noodler wrote: »
    Nah.

Serbia also win their next two then gap would still be two points.

Then we go to Georgia - absolutely not a guaranteed win. I still hold out massive hope Wales or Serbia themselves could drop pointa there.

Even if we did win, next game would be Serbia at home who.could conceivably overtake us with a win.

I know that of course but the point being if we're playing well enough to tuck away Wales and Austria in the next two games then Georgia won't be a problem. Serbia would be nothing to be feared by that stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,976 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

10 points out of 12 ending 2016. If we were told before the Serbia game that we would have that many points at the end of matchday 4 we would of taken the hands off them (hell we would of settled for 7/8 pts)

The lads are getting more and more confidence and a few will return from injury and possibly a few new faces (Hogan mite be convinced to join us now) come March 2017

If we don't go through automatically we then have the danger of being drawn in a playoff with a top team like Italy (they won't be messing around like Euro 2016), Spain, Holland, Portugal etc

Still a long long way to go and there will be turns in this group and big shocks

From Miguel Delaneys report in today's indo....puts the last year in perspective :

There was also the fact that this was Ireland's fourth win over a ­higher-ranked side in the last 13 months alone. That was something that didn't happen at all in the 15 years between the 2001 victory over the Netherlands, and then the October 2015 win over Germany, but it is now something that has become a hugely encouraging trait of this team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

From Miguel Delaneys report in today's indo....puts the last year in perspective :

There was also the fact that this was Ireland's fourth win over a ­higher-ranked side in the last 13 months alone. That was something that didn't happen at all in the 15 years between the 2001 victory over the Netherlands, and then the October 2015 win over Germany, but it is now something that has become a hugely encouraging trait of this team.

we seem to play much better when we are forced into playing and have to react somewhat to the opposition. It'll be interesting to see how we do against Wales when we will be expected to take the game to them and actually be under pressure to win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,611 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

we seem to play much better when we are forced into playing and have to react somewhat to the opposition. It'll be interesting to see how we do against Wales when we will be expected to take the game to them and actually be under pressure to win.
    We can take a game to teams when we have to as well. Against Sweden we did that brilliantly for the first 70 minutes. Obviously Bale is a handful, but I think Wales will be more worried about us than the other way around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,311 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

We can take a game to teams when we have to as well. Against Sweden we did that brilliantly for the first 70 minutes. Obviously Bale is a handful, but I think Wales will be more worried about us than the other way around.

Fact. We're on a roll, best start to a campaign for as long as I can remember, absolutely over the moon.

Wales players and coleman & sky last night looked and sounded as if they had been beaten rather than drawn. I think Ledley said it felt like a defeat. They have lost the post euro feelgood factor. Hopefully we make the most of it in March

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Wales players and coleman & sky last night looked and sounded as if they had been beaten rather than drawn. I think Ledley said it felt like a defeat. They have lost the post euro feelgood factor. Hopefully we make the most of it in March

From a psychlogical viewpoint it's bad for them. They know 6 points from 4 is a poor return and it'll hit their morale. That draw at home to Georgia will be looked back on as a missed oppurtunity. On the flip side they'll view the game in March as a must win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

I think we're potentially 3 wins from at least 2nd. Wales would need 4 wins and a draw to get to 19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

For once the group is in our own hands,we shouldn't fear no one,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

For once the group is in our own hands,we shouldn't fear no one,
    - x - = + Yes we should take no team for granted.

I think the manner of the draw/timing of the goal is the main factor there.I only saw patches of the game but all in all, they were both much of a muchness stat wise. They have lost their momentum now and that was what carried them through so many games. I don't think they are as good as a team as they were portrayed this last year or so.
    I can see two draws for us tbh. On balance of probabilities. And tbh, I would take that. Obviously a win would be great and we have a chance at home but I honestly wouldnt put any money on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Wales are still a decent team, they have a good team togetherness about them and are a bit unlucky they don't have any sort of decent forwards at all. I don't think they were ever seen as a great team, they just all worked really well together along with having a world class player as well. We should be looking to beat them of course, and play like yesterday and I've no doubt we will.

Corholio wrote: »
    Wales are still a decent team, they have a good team togetherness about them and are a bit unlucky they don't have any sort of decent forwards at all. I don't think they were ever seen as a great team, they just all worked really well together along with having a world class player as well. We should be looking to beat them of course, and play like yesterday and I've no doubt we will.

Such is the brilliance of Bale, Wales can just keep a good shape and hope he pulls.something out of the bag.

I'd be very confident if he wasn't available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

What a fantastic result and performance last night. Full credit to MON who got the tactics and team selection spot on despite a few injuries, it would be hard to drop anyone who played last night for the next game but I'm assuming Long & McCarthy will come back into the team, and presumably Ward at left back now that Brady is suspended. The past 12 months or so have been the best days of following this countries soccer team since 2002, wins against Germany, Bosnia, Italy and now Austria have been huge, getting to play at a euros and progress out of the group is again something we don't get to experience too often. Martin O'Neil has been a huge success, I had my doubts after the initial start we got off to in his first campaign (looked like we were in trouble before Georgia bet Scotland), but since then we have had a lot of memorable performances.

For the first time in a long time our squad is starting to look like we have some good options available and some healthy competition for places - McCarthy, Whelan, Hendrick, Arter, Meyler (who put in a great shift last night) are all premier league footballers competing for 2 or 3 positions in the team, at centre back Duffy and Clark seem to be the preferred partnership right now but Keogh and O'Shea are two other decent options. We are quite light up front obviously but Scott Hogan will certainly be thinking of going to the 2018 world cup now and hopefully he will be in the squads for the remainder of the campaign. Certainly the strongest squad we have had in a while and most of these guys will be around for another few years yet.

We are in a very healthy position right now, but the rest of the group will not be a breeze, there are not any easy games remaining really and every team will fancy taking points off one another, but we will go into the Wales game on a high and it could be a very special night in the Aviva if we get another three points!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Our next game is 4 and a half months away. Lots can change between now and then so I think its pretty pointless saying the team should remain the same for the next game. Thats fair enough in club football when the next match is a week later or even between the sept and oct internationals .

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭The Red Lad

Great result going into the Christmas McClean is playing fantastic stuff altogether, last night showed Martin o Neill and Keane how important it is to start Wes too, great to see Harry Artur in too. It's still very early days but it's a very exciting time to be going into the winter break top of the group. Buzzing for Wales at home the aviva and Dublin will be buzzing that weekend I really can't wait and please god we can get some sort of result we've no reason to fear wales but cannot afford to take anyone for granted hoping Bale will get a knock and be ruled out :P even though I'd love to see a player of his calibre in the flesh! Honestly think if we could get 4 points in are next two games or even 3 points out of wales and Austria we will be doing seriously well. Georgia away will be very very difficult and I'm hoping we won't be hit with disappointment there. No reason we should be settling for second place with the position we are in atm and the momentum and belief this new Irish team has we should now be aiming to top the group . Still very early days lads and not looking too far ahead but my god credit to O'Neill Keane and this Irish team hopefully they can keep it up and we will be in Russia for 2018 💚

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Where can I get tickets for the Wales game or would I have to wait until closer to the game?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

With Long back, Walters is likely to drop back to the wing. With him, the emergence of Arter and the return of McCarthy, who do people think will miss out in midfield.

Back to the bench for Hendrick? Plus one of Whelan or Hoolahan to also drop out depending on how conservative MON decides to be perhaps. It'd be unpopular but I'd guess it'd be hoolahan benched and kept as an impact sub

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

With Long back, Walters is likely to drop back to the wing. With him, the emergence of Arter and the return of McCarthy, who do people think will miss out in midfield.

Back to the bench for Hendrick? Plus one of Whelan or Hoolahan to also drop out depending on how conservative MON decides to be perhaps. It'd be unpopular but I'd guess it'd be hoolahan benched and kept as an impact sub

Long on the bench for me. Walters does a better job as the lone frontman. Long is also a very good impact sub.

Agree with SantryRed, as good as Long is I think he's much better when coming off the bench and chasing balls in behind the defence.

Also think after the Austria game that Hoolahan should be starting for every game that he's fit to play in, that pass to McClean was sexual.

I'm also inclined to feel that we should milk Wes for every minute his aging legs will give us.

I feel so much more confident after the games Arter and Meyler had.

Even Duffy and Clark surprised me - I still feel more confident with a Keogh/O'Shea confident but sudenly it feels like we have options.

Not sure about the Long/Walter thing.

Usually I like the cheat of being able to put Walters right and still avail of his muscle, aerial prowess and ball holding whilst still accommodating Long up top.

We didn't look any weaker in midfield on Sat with him out and I don't really feel confdient Long will score as a starter. An interesting one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Wales at isn't for another 4 months so will depend on their form at the time but as of now I'd be leaving Shane on the bench as an impact sub.

Scott Hogan would to declare before then also, he's either in or he's out but that decision needs to be made before the Wales game in March.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Long for me doesn't justify his position due to his lack of goals. I'd rather have Long on the bench if it means Wes stays in the team. Long to be an impact sub.

Ward at left back, and McCarthy to replace Whelan is all I can see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Where can I get tickets for the Wales game or would I have to wait until closer to the game?

They go on sale closer to the time. I got my Georgia tickets through Ticketmaster, so unless you're a season ticket holder I think that's the best option.

Hendrick would be one of the first names on the teamsheet for me.

If I was picking from a full squad, I'd go for:

Randolph / Coleman, Duffy, Clark, Ward / Hendrick, McCarthy, Arter / McClean, Walters, Brady

In the absence of Brady against Wales, I'd simply put Long up top and Walters out wide.

I reckon MO'N goes for a 4-2-3-1, with Arter, McCarthy (or Whelan) in the centre, and Hendrick making up part of a trio with McClean and Hoolahan or Walters with Long up top.

I feel like Hoolahan is still likely to be an impact sub for us more often than not, and I don't necessarily have any issue with that either. He does the job well. And it's nice to have a few options from there with him, Meyler, etc instead of looking to the bench and panicking if things start to go south.

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    Long for me doesn't justify his position due to his lack of goals. .

Lets be honest, goals are only a part of what he brings to the table.

In fact, apart from Keane (and maybe Walters in recent years), if you were to judge an Irish striker purely on goals then we would never play one.

Any debate on this needs to be a bit deeper than Long's scoring rate for Ireland.

Long won't be dropped if fit. Walters is not a natural front foot striker but makes for a good alternative, especially in scrappy away games. He will naturally by instinct drop too deep and very wide and that showed on Saturday. Thats why it was great that we had JM to counterattack. Long is a lot lot faster than Walters so we need that in what will be a very open fast game against Wales as we can't solely rely on McClean for counter attack, especially in the next game where he will be covering back even a lot more (again, like Walters, as is McClean's instinct).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

noodler wrote: »
    Lets be honest, goals are only a part of what he brings to the table.

In fact, apart from Keane (and maybe Walters in recent years), if you were to judge an Irish striker purely on goals then we would never play one.

Any debate on this needs to be a bit deeper than Long's scoring rate for Ireland.

Agreed, but pound for pound, good points and bad, Hoolahan has a more significant affect on games.

• Advertisement

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    Agreed, but pound for pound, good points and bad, Hoolahan has a more significant affect on games.

At the moment - nobody can argue with that - I'd hope it would be a case of Long or Wes but it probably will be.

If we went 5 in the middle and Long was playing - I'd expect Walters on the right though to partly accommodate Hoolohan.

I can't countenance Hoolahan not starting for Ireland ever again when fit personally.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement