Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Long won't be dropped if fit. Walters is not a natural front foot striker but makes for a good alternative, especially in scrappy away games. He will naturally by instinct drop too deep and very wide and that showed on Saturday. Thats why it was great that we had JM to counterattack. Long is a lot lot faster than Walters so we need that in what will be a very open fast game against Wales as we can't solely rely on McClean for counter attack, especially in the next game where he will be covering back even a lot more (again, like Walters, as is McClean's instinct).

I really hope we don't make the Welsh game too open!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

noodler wrote: »

It won't be open or fast. Half our team (almost our entire midfield) are on the field as much to disrupt the opposition as to get on the ball. If the game is fast we are in trouble as our aim is to force the tempo and make that tempo slow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Obviously it wouldn't be ideal but it will It will be a more open game than Serbia and Austria, you would imagine. Especially with Bale on the pitch and the fact Wales generally play a 4-4-2.

Wales won't be here to play for a draw either. I guess it will also depend on whether MON reverts (please god, no) to McCarthy and Whelan both on the pitch)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

If we manage to beat Moldova, Georgia and Serbia and not lose to Wales in one of the games would that be enough to win the group? 20 points?

If the above were to happen and a draw/win vs Austria in the aviva would mean we're sorted! :)

Lots of football to be played between now and then

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭kerosene

Meyler could have done enough to put his hand up for a start v Wales, id have no problem if he was incuded ahead of either McCarthy or Whelan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

If we can beat Wales in Dublin they'd almost be eliminated, Austria need to go on a great run which is unlikely.

Am I right in saying only 4 of the 9 runner up spots will qualify?

If that's the case we really need to finish top.
    I'd imagine 20 points would win the group.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Hopefully lot's of draws for our rivals going forward! Wales away to Serbia is a very big game. Whoever loses, it probably is fair to say is out of running for top spot and a draw (probably likely) is even better. Austria also have the Serbs at home so the group is most definitely ours to lose now.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Rega

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    If we can beat Wales in Dublin they'd almost be eliminated, Austria need to go on a great run which is unlikely.

Am I right in saying only 4 of the 9 runner up spots will qualify?

If that's the case we really need to finish top.
    I'd imagine 20 points would win the group.

8 of the 9 runners up qualify for the playoffs. That's 4 games.

Was there a friendly scheduled for this week at some point?

I may have dreamt this but I thought we were playing Norway soon.

Nalz wrote: »
    Was there a friendly scheduled for this week at some point?

I may have dreamt this but I thought we were playing Norway soon.

Ha, there was a November friendly against Norway about 5 years ago I recall, Jon Arne Riise days! I think it was Longs first goal for us?

You may have been in a coma since that was announced!

I certainly wouldn't be dreaming of an Ireland-Norway friendly!! ha!

EDIT: It was during our Euro 2012 qualification. (2010, Nov 17th) We lost 2-1

EDIT EDIT: Maybe you were thinking about Iceland game scheduled for next Spring? Snow and all that !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

McCarthy Arter and Hendrick would be my choice of cm .I think they offer a really good balance .Brady and McClean the wide men with Long upfront.
    Whelan and Walters have always served us well imo but I think both will be phased out from being starting xi over the nest few games.

yabadabado wrote: »
    McCarthy Arter and Hendrick would be my choice of cm .I think they offer a really good balance .Brady and McClean the wide men with Long upfront.
    Whelan and Walters have always served us well imo but I think both will be phased out from being starting xi over the nest few games.

Doubt that.

Whelan is an important player for us and Walters is fairly vital.

Doubt that.

Whelan is an important player for us and Walters is fairly vital.

Whelan and McCarthy are similar and I think McCarthy will be the one who will be first choice .Walters isn't getting as much game time at Stoke as in previous years and I think Brady and McClean may be the 2 first choice wide men .

Both players are still very important for us but not sure either will be guaranteed starters.

Anyways things are looking really positive so far in the campaign and was a great night Saturday. One of the best away trips I've done .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

When our whole midfield is fit I think Whelan will struggle to get a starting place. This is definitely his final campaign.

If Walters loses his legs, then you lose Jonny Walters. When Russia (if we qualify, yada-yada) rolls around, he'll be a few months short of his 35th birthday. He might last another year, but could be well down the pecking order come a final squad for World Cup.

Time is not on the side of a few Irish players. I fear poor Wes could miss out too. 18 months is a long time when you're getting on in football.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,611 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

How come we didn't arrange a friendly match for midweek like a lot of others did. Would've been an opportunity to give Horgan a run out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭ahlookit

TheCitizen wrote: »
    How come we didn't arrange a friendly match for midweek like a lot of others did. Would've been an opportunity to give Horgan a run out.

Oman are washing their hair that night

ahlookit wrote: »
    Oman are washing their hair that night

We are head and shoulders above them

Its mad to be predicting Walters demise after one really good game from all our midfielders.

I doubt MON has even contemplated dropping him, especially after leading the line so well on Saturday.

I wouldn't be getting overly concerned about his age or playing time for Stoke either, his scoring rate for Ireland is still better than Long's and competition is virtually nonexistent at the moment.

He will be vital in anything we do for the rest of this campaign.

TheCitizen wrote: »

Damned if you, damned if you don't it seems particularly in relation to fixture congestion and some people's perception of "meaningless friendlies".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭ahlookit

Damned if you, damned if you don't it seems particularly in relation to fixture congestion and some people's perception of "meaningless friendlies".

We don't seem to do away friendlies all that much, and with the autumn internationals at Lansdowne they mightn't have fancied another game on the pitch at this time of year. Always thought that our below par away showings over the years were linked to lack of away friendlies, but its all about trying to bring in the cash....

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

I was fairly drunk in a pub in Waterford watching this. Never had any time for NI football after this one. As a kid I cheered for them in 82/86. Great night overall :)

https://twitter.com/FAIreland/status/799329922971934722

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I just could not cheer for that shower.

jaykay74 wrote: »
    I was fairly drunk in a pub in Waterford watching this. Never had any time for NI football after this one. As a kid I cheered for them in 82/86. Great night overall :)

https://twitter.com/FAIreland/status/799325064256692224

link is dead ?what is it about ?

link is dead ?what is it about ?

Think this is it

https://twitter.com/FAIreland/status/799329922971934722

Forgot I was barred from FAI twitter that might be the reason I cant see link !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Forgot I was barred from FAI twitter that might be the reason I cant see link !

It's showing as a dead link for me too, and I'm definitely not barred from that account.

:)

I know what ye are on about now.This night 1993 .

I know a few lads who support Ireland but live in the North and they would often go to NI games back then but that night was the end of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

That was just incredible. One of the great nights as an Irish fan.

Remember our game finishing first then coverage switching to the end of Spain v Denmark. Those were tense minutes!

And RTE finishing the show with "America "
    Always loved that song since:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭eire4

Patww79 wrote: »

I remember that night so well. McLoughlin's goal made it all worthwhile but the behaviour of their so called support and in particular of Bingham was a disgrace. Never mind their assistant coach flipping our bench off.

Brother was at it.

He always shrugged his shoulders and said it was great. Terrifying...but wholly expected by every fan who travelled up. This was just a few weeks after the Shankill Road Bombing, where children queuing up at a fish shop were obliterated by the IRA on the street of the Linfield Supporters Club. No one was expecting a welcome.

Actually one other memory from that time was Joe Delaney, John's father. My brother travelled everywhere to follow the Irish team, Germany 88, Italia 90, USA 94, Windsor Park etc. He always said Delaney was a great man for tickets. Not in some corrupt way, my brother wouldn't have had a pound to his name and just spent his cash on tickets, travel and drink and was the standard football supporter. But he said no matter where you rocked up, Joe Delaney would do everything to get Irish fans tickets. He managed to get a ticket amongst NI fans that night and walked up to Delaney who told him he was a clown...but still swapped his ticket for the RoI end, he just wanted to make sure that Irish fans were safe and sorted.

• Advertisement

I dunno, know a few Cork City fans who travelled up for the Setanta Cup game a few years back and said they were given a great night by Linfield fans in the supporters club on the Shankill. That would not have happened during the Troubles. I haven't heard Michael O'Neill being targetted for abuse, which would have been a certainty back in the day. 93 was a tough night in Windsor...but we have to remember the context and the backdrop of terrorist atrocities...and I think the context has changed a bit.

And yet they all thought Greysteel was a major laugh at the same time that night.

Their fans haven't changed a bit either, no matter what the big hug push from the media here in the summer.

Was in France for the Euros.

NI fans who were there were good fun, friendly.

I wouldn't be basing any opinions on internet boards (if you are I mean).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

2 for scott hogan in 30 minutes today

I spent enough time living among that demographic to know the youth aren't leaving any of it behind. The majority of them absolutely despise us.

Ah now, you hardly lived in every county.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Rikand wrote: »
    2 for scott hogan in 30 minutes today

What's the update on him? Has he declared for us yet?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,991 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Nope, and I'd have let that ship sail after the first knock-back.

So a player whose had a nightmare with injuries over the last two years and has finally hit an injury free spell for his club doesn't deserve the right to look after himself and use the international break as a time to rest up before committing himself to international football?

like you did with Arter, yeah!;)

So a player whose had a nightmare with injuries over the last two years and has finally hit an injury free spell for his club doesn't deserve the right to look after himself and use the international break as a time to rest up before committing himself to international football?

It is bizarre that anyone cannot understand the situation he is in . Hogan is completely doing the right thing here. He owes the club a lot more at present and needs to ensure his recovery requirements are completely adhered to.

Jaysus Jeff Hendrick has gone off the boil big-time.
    Looks a very ordinary player at the moment.
    Hopefully he will have his best form back before we play again.

sugarman wrote: »
    Ah come off it, the whole team looks absolutely awful! How can you expect him to do anything positive in a game where theyre getting pumped away from home?

I watched the last number of games too. He's not playing well or looking too interested.

I watched the last number of games too. He's not playing well or looking too interested.

Sure.

You are like the boards.is equivalent of clickbait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Regarding the Scott Hogan situation Ireland shouldn't be chasing players to play for them they either want to or they don't.It's a simple enough choice and they should be given one opportunity to declare and if they turn us down that should be it.The Jack Grealish situation was really embarassing and he should have been told to **** off with himself very early in the process.

Personally I'd change the rules so that players have to declare by age 18 by sending an official document into FIFA and once their decision is made it cannot be changed.

It's disrespectful to the country to be humming and hawing over it and it's even more disrespectful to the likes of Kevin Kilbane and others who had a choice and had no qualms about playing for Ireland because it always leads to the suspicion that the non Irish born players aren't 100% committed whether it is true or not.Playing for Ireland should be about you heart not your head and logic shouldn't come into the decision.

Sure.

You are like the boards.is equivalent of clickbait.
    So nobody can have an opinion that is not positive towards Irish players?
    I won't fall into the "thanks whoring" catagory.
    I will continue to say what I see.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement