Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

So nobody can have an opinion that is not positive towards Irish players?
    I won't fall into the "thanks whoring" catagory.
    I will continue to say what I see.

You just seem determined to go against the grain, take the wind out of people's sails or otherwise just exaggerate points for shock value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

noodler wrote: »
    You just seem determined to go against the grain, take the wind out of people's sails or otherwise just exaggerate points for shock value.

Pure BS from you again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »
    It seems like you have to praise all the time even when they're poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Goalkeepers
    Kieren Westwood
    Darren Randolph
    Rob Elliot

Defenders
    Seamus Coleman
    Cyrus Christie
    Richard Keogh
    Ciaran Clark
    Shane Duffy
    John O'Shea
    Stephen Ward

Midfielders
    Aiden McGeady
    Daryl Horgan
    James McClean
    Robbie Brady
    James McCarthy
    Glenn Whelan
    Jeff Hendrick
    Harry Arter
    Wes Hoolahan

Forwards
    Shane Long
    Jonathan Walters
    Daryl Murphy
    Scott Hogan

My ideal squad for next March if everyone is fit, what do ye all think? Some notable exclusions are:

Darron Gibson
    Marc Wilson
    Alan Judge
    David Meyler
    David McGoldrick
    Conor Hourihane
    Eunan O'Kane
    Stephen Quinn
    Adam Rooney
    John Egan
    Callum O'Dowda
    Andy Boyle

And this is not even an exhaustive list, I can't remember us having such strength in depth in the past 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

Goalkeepers
    Kieren Westwood
    Darren Randolph
    Rob Elliot

Defenders
    Seamus Coleman
    Cyrus Christie
    Richard Keogh
    Ciaran Clark
    Shane Duffy
    John O'Shea
    Stephen Ward

Midfielders
    Aiden McGeady
    Daryl Horgan
    James McClean
    Robbie Brady
    James McCarthy
    Glenn Whelan
    Jeff Hendrick
    Harry Arter
    Wes Hoolahan

Forwards
    Shane Long
    Jonathan Walters
    Daryl Murphy
    Scott Hogan

My ideal squad for next March if everyone is fit, what do ye all think? Some notable exclusions are:

Darron Gibson
    Marc Wilson
    Alan Judge
    David Meyler
    David McGoldrick
    Conor Hourihane
    Eunan O'Kane
    Stephen Quinn
    Adam Rooney
    John Egan
    Callum O'Dowda
    Andy Boyle

And this is not even an exhaustive list, I can't remember us having such strength in depth in the past 10 years.

Meyler was, after McClean, possibly our best player in Vienna. He will be in with a big shout of starting the Welsh game.

Patww79 wrote: »
    How dare you not say every Irish player is a world beater.

Sure hold off and see, you'll notice a more diverse trend from his posts eventually.

It isn't all.about Irish players.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭ahlookit

From BBC website (though they are carrying a story from the S*n)

Could we be facing a Welsh team with a new manager in March?
    Crystal Palace manager Alan Pardew will be sacked if his team loses against Swansea on Saturday, according to the Sun.

Palace are on a five-game losing run in the Premier League and are one point above the relegation zone.

The Sun claims Wales manager Chris Coleman and former England boss Sam Allardyce are in the frame to replace the 55-year-old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Brady is suspended for the Wales game!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,611 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

ahlookit wrote: »

I'd say Coleman will take a chance on an EPL offer if one came along right now. It will be difficult for him to top what he has already achieved with Wales. Palace though might go for Allardyce who'd be a safer bet to keep them up, if Pardew get sacked that is.

Sure hold off and see, you'll notice a more diverse trend from his posts eventually.

It isn't all.about Irish players.

Poor effort. Can do better.
    Do you try that with everyone who disagrees with you Noodles?

Pass no remarks of that rag.
    The main thing is that we beat Wales in Dublin. Do that and we at least maintain our 6 point lead on them. Then beat Serbia at home and we are nearly there.

Poor effort. Can do better.
    Do you try that with everyone who disagrees with you Noodles?

Strawmanning.

Strawmanning.
    You wouldn't be worth that much effort. Now back to the thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

If we can beat Wales then we'll almost be guaranteed at least a play off spot imo. That match is huge. Hopefully Bale picks up some sort of injury and has to miss the match,

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    If we can beat Wales then we'll almost be guaranteed at least a play off spot imo. That match is huge. Hopefully Bale picks up some sort of injury and has to miss the match,

Indeed. But we'll never get a better chance to actually win a group and avoid a play-off. We're in a great position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭eire4

TheCitizen wrote: »
    I'd say Coleman will take a chance on an EPL offer if one came along right now. It will be difficult for him to top what he has already achieved with Wales. Palace though might go for Allardyce who'd be a safer bet to keep them up, if Pardew get sacked that is.

To be fair getting to the semi-finals of the European Championships there is no chance he will ever top with Wales that and I say that as someone who has always thought Chris Coleman was a decent coach and one of the good guys from what I know of him in he game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Meyler was, after McClean, possibly our best player in Vienna. He will be in with a big shout of starting the Welsh game.

Agree that Meyler will surely be in the squad, but I think Christys post proves that we have a lot of options for the first time in a long time. Apart from arguably Daryl Horgan, I would say the rest of that squad is guaranteed to be announced if there are no injuries or suspensions (Brady is suspended so he will miss out). Our squad is the strongest it has been in a long time, in midfield in particular - players like Hourihan, Judge, Forrester, Byrne have a long way to go before they are competing for a place in the team despite a lot of people calling for their inclusion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

One swallow doesn't make a summer, I still don't think he's better than any of the midfield options I named there. I did say it was my personal squad after all.

Wales should be desperate to hang on to Coleman. Lose him and they could spiral right back down. He's no genius, but clearly he clicks with this group of players.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Debil

Bale out for a long while.

'a traumatic dislocation of the peroneal tendons'

RIP

You'd hope so. It's traumatic after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

He will be back for El Classico. I would put money on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭ahlookit

He's doubtful for El Clasico.....he'll be grand by March...

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/38084142

He's doubtful for El Clasico.....he'll be grand by March...

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/38084142

Oh, no I have seen the headlines. Still would be confident he will be back by then!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

What's the story with duo tickets for Iceland and Wales? Only tickets I'm seeing available are premium level!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

https://twitter.com/FAIreland/status/801468157026242564?lang=en
    We will be hosting 4 #EURO2020 matches in Dublin and tomorrow morning we'll be unveiling the #Dublin2020 logo!

Bale will be back in a month. It's not that serious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    What's the story with duo tickets for Iceland and Wales? Only tickets I'm seeing available are premium level!

I think they sold out on the day. A lot of tickets will probably be given to clubs and leagues etc closer to the time so maybe you will pick one up then, but the ones that were on ticketmaster only lasted a couple of hours on Monday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

There will be single tickets on sale in the new year(I think end of January)
    ST holders will get a presale code and whatever is left will go on general sale.I don't think there will be a major problem getting a ticket.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

http://www.eurosport.com/football/gareth-bale-out-for-fourth-months_sto5959820/story.shtml

Bale could be out for up to 4 months.

Could be cutting it tight for the Ireland game.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

The win over Austria has lifted us to 23rd(up 10) in the world, highest since 2012.
    Others in the group:
    Wales = 12(-1)
    Austria = 31(-1)
    Serbia = 44(-1)
    Georgia = 119 (+3)
    Moldova = 162 (+11)

GLaDOS wrote: »
    http://www.eurosport.com/football/gareth-bale-out-for-fourth-months_sto5959820/story.shtml

Bale could be out for up to 4 months.

Could be cutting it tight for the Ireland game.

Sky saying 2-3 months.

You'd almost swear it was timed so he'd definitely be back for that.

Edit: scratch that, I thought it was an injury he had been playing with - see now he only picked it up this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I dont wish injury on anyone, I like Bale, but if he was out of our game in Dublin it would be a blessing.

This kind of hopery and wishery is exactly the type of thing that comes back to haunt you :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I dont wish injury on anyone, I like Bale, but if he was out of our game in Dublin it would be a blessing.

If his surgery is next Tuesday Nov 29th and he's potentially out for 4 months it'll be pretty tight alright. Certainly won't have much football behind him anyway even if he does make it.

Debil wrote: »
    This kind of hopery and wishery is exactly the type of thing that comes back to haunt you :)

I tell myself I am not hoping for it but it would be convenient.

I would prefer to beat them with their full team out.

• Advertisement

yabadabado wrote: »

How ethical of you!

How ethical of you!

We are more than capable of beating them and be all the sweeter with Bale playing.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I'll take 3 points, regardless of the circumstances!

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Same here,give them no excuses

But I do think we are plenty good enough to beat them if Bale plays or not

I coudn't give a sh1te what excuses they would have if he was missing! Makes no odds at all to Ireland

• Advertisement

When McClean's shot went through the keepers legs in Vienna, I was disgusted. I wish their first choice keeper wasn't injured and we scored a better goal. That win should have an asterisk beside it...;)

When McClean's shot went through the keepers legs in Vienna, I was disgusted. I wish their first choice keeper wasn't injured and we scored a better goal. That win should have an asterisk beside it...;)

:o

Poor effort ,you obviously are missing my point completely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭bren2001

I couldn't give a monkey if we beat the Welsh team after their entire 23 man squad came down with food poisoning ala Spurs 2006, as long as we get 3 points. If Bale is out, that is a good thing for us. We can go for the moral victory next October when we've qualified and they've a fully fit squad.

If Wales beat us can we put an asterisk beside it because Robbie Brady is out? No and I'm sure Welsh fans are happy to see him banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

:o

Poor effort ,you obviously are missing my point completely.

No he hasn't missed the point at all. We can beat Wales even if they have bale fit but of course we'd have a better chance of beating them if he was to miss the game. Therefore I'm happy he's injured.

I'd be echoing the thoughts of others, I just want 3 points and I couldn't care less about what excuses they'd have.

3 points is what it's all about and I couldn't care less if they're so short of players that they have to play Charlotte Church and Gavin Henson up front and our winning goal comes from Jonny Walters punching it into the net from an offside position.

How did Horgan play last night? That Barnsley player, Hourihane, seems to be peaking at the moment. I'm not even going to pretend I know much about him apart from reviews lately and a few YouTube findings but some pleasant competition and a nice bit of squad depth in midfield. Pity about up front. Although we were unlucky last squad with injuries. It's amazing what a positive result can do to both squad and fan morale.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement