Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

How did Horgan play last night? That Barnsley player, Hourihane, seems to be peaking at the moment. I'm not even going to pretend I know much about him apart from reviews lately and a few YouTube findings but some pleasant competition and a nice bit of squad depth in midfield. Pity about up front. Although we were unlucky last squad with injuries. It's amazing what a positive result can do to both squad and fan morale.

Horgan had a bit of an off day. There was 2 players on him anytime he got the ball and his delivery was a bit off. Looked like he was trying to do too much at times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

No he hasn't missed the point at all. We can beat Wales even if they have bale fit but of course we'd have a better chance of beating them if he was to miss the game. Therefore I'm happy he's injured.

I'd be echoing the thoughts of others, I just want 3 points and I couldn't care less about what excuses they'd have.

3 points is what it's all about and I couldn't care less if they're so short of players that they have to play Charlotte Church and Gavin Henson up front and our winning goal comes from Jonny Walters punching it into the net from an offside position.

I said I'd prefer to beat their full team it would make it even sweeter.
    I obviously want us to get the 3 points no matter how it happens.
    The poster made up some gibberish about McCleans goal v Austria which had no relevance at all with what I said.

How did Horgan play last night? That Barnsley player, Hourihane, seems to be peaking at the moment. I'm not even going to pretend I know much about him apart from reviews lately and a few YouTube findings but some pleasant competition and a nice bit of squad depth in midfield. Pity about up front. Although we were unlucky last squad with injuries. It's amazing what a positive result can do to both squad and fan morale.
    Hourihane is a good player and having an excellent season so far.He is the main attacking focal point for Barnsley and it would be interesting to see how he gets on in the attacking cm role for us.
    He is one of the players I would like to see start v Iceland.That's definitely a game that a few of the lads on the fringes of squads should gets caps.

yabadabado wrote: »
    I said I'd prefer to beat their full team it would make it even sweeter.
    I obviously want us to get the 3 points no matter how it happens.
    The poster made up some gibberish about McCleans goal v Austria which had no relevance at all with what I said.

It's just this whole "I hope we beat them with their best player playing" is something new to me. If we beat them, I certainly wouldn't have your "this would have been sweeter if..." sentiment, just as I didn't have it after our Austria win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭eire4

Hourihane is a good player and having an excellent season so far.He is the main attacking focal point for Barnsley and it would be interesting to see how he gets on in the attacking cm role for us.
    He is one of the players I would like to see start v Iceland.That's definitely a game that a few of the lads on the fringes of squads should gets caps.

Was watching him play today against Nottingham Forrest and his pass for the games opening game to put Barnsley 1-0 up was superb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

eire4 wrote: »
    Was watching him play today against Nottingham Forrest and his pass for the games opening game to put Barnsley 1-0 up was superb.

On the negative side he was at fault for Forests second goal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

I watched the game tonight, and although I have no other game to compare him by as I have never seen a full game with him before but apart from his involvement in the 2 goals he was very average, I thought. I don't doubt it was an off day though for him, given the praise he is getting

It was a mental game though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I reckon Bale will be fit by March so I think we'll have to do it the hard way.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Randolph has started the last 2 games for West Ham now, apparently played brilliantly yesterday (didn't see the game). Hopefully he can keep his spot. Regular games are essential for a goalkeeper.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

GLaDOS wrote: »
    Randolph has started the last 2 games for West Ham now, apparently played brilliantly yesterday (didn't see the game). Hopefully he can keep his spot. Regular games are essential for a goalkeeper.

He got MOTM and pulled off 3 or 4 good saves.
    The papers last week were saying Adrian was being frozen out by Bilic and they would be looking for a new keeper in January/Summer if that's the case Randolph may get a decent run of games over the coming months.

If he's not going to get regular games he should be looking for a move otherwise Westwood is a better option although Randolph hasn't done anything wrong when he's played for us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

James McLean seems to have relegated to the bench for West Brom despite his good form for his country. Shane long also has a lot of work to get back into the southhamton team. Walters in similar position at Stoke despite starting at the weekend. Meyler can't get into an awful Hull team. These lads may need to make big decisions in January

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    James McLean seems to have relegated to the bench for West Brom despite his good form for his country. Shane long also has a lot of work to get back into the southhamton team. Walters in similar position at Stoke despite starting at the weekend. Meyler can't get into an awful Hull team. These lads may need to make big decisions in January

For McClean, Meyler and Walters, I'd be afraid the Championship would be the only available moves.

Shane Long could get an EPL move.

noodler wrote: »
    For McClean, Meyler and Walters, I'd be afraid the Championship would be the only available moves.

Shane Long could get an EPL move.

McClean is a PL squad player. No way, at 27, he should be, or needs to be considering a drop down.

Walters is different story but he has a contract until Summer 2018 so I reckon he will be happy to stay where he is as a valued squad member. He was very good Sunday and one of the main reasons they won the game.

McClean is a PL squad player. No way, at 27, he should be, or needs to be considering a drop down.

Walters is different story but he has a contract until Summer 2018 so I reckon he will be happy to stay where he is as a valued squad member. He was very good Sunday and one of the main reasons they won the game.

Not sure about that. Had a couple of good games for Ireland but not sure he has had EPL consistency.

His age may imply a preference to stay at EPL level but he'd need another club willing to take him on. Hopefully the poppy crap and other baggage doesn't hurt his chances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Unless I'm getting the wrong numbers here (I use premierleague.com),but

- Walters has featured in 12 games this season
    - McClean in 11
    - Meyler in 12
    - Long in 9 (but he had a lengthy enough injury)
    and we're still only in November

So I wouldn't expect any of those to move in January.

At Walters' age it's possibly better than his games are a bit more managed

Walters is regularly given captains armband and is really well respected at the club as both a player and general squad member. He regularly plays 90 minutes and on Sunday kept Bony, Krkic and Crouch on the bench for the whole game. He was granted a contract until the end of next season. If he was to leave before then I would be extremely surprised

Walters is regularly given captains armband and is really well respected at the club as both a player and general squad member. He regularly plays 90 minutes and on Sunday kept Bony, Krkic and Crouch on the bench for the whole game. He was granted a contract until the end of next season. If he was to leave before then I would be extremely surprised

Agreed.

No value in selling him.

Worth more to the club as a player than any fee they might get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Another goal for Hogan Saturday, 3rd in 2 games. Although both in defeats and Brentford creeping ever slowly towards relegation after that fine start to season. 1 win in 8 games after losing just twice and conceding only a handful of goals in their opening ten games.. Awful drop in form.

• Advertisement

Hogan has 11 goals which is a good achievement considering they are on such a terrible run.Only Gayle has gotten more league goals and that with a team that are flying high.

Be good to get an answer from Hogan regarding him representing us,we are in dire need of another striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,311 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Hogan has 11 goals which is a good achievement considering they are on such a terrible run.Only Gayle has gotten more league goals and that with a team that are flying high.

Be good to get an answer from Hogan regarding him representing us,we are in dire need of another striker.

Sooner rather than later, he's on some run. 18 goals this calendar year, great going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,991 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Would he suit Irelands style of play? I haven't seen Brentford play but going from looking at their formations they seem to play with two up top which is something Ireland hasn't done in awhile I think preferring the lone striker as a target man.

Sooner rather than later, he's on some run. 18 goals this calendar year, great going.

MON is supposed to be meeting with him soon to discuss it.Need it sorted asap one way or another .

MON is supposed to be meeting with him soon to discuss it.Need it sorted asap one way or another .

I wouldnt be too surprised if he's told MON he wants to play for Ireland but focus on his club career, try and finally have an injury free season for once before adding international football to his schedule.

Alan Judge gave an interview about Scott Hogan saying that there's no fear of him holding out for a better offer somewhere that he is just looking out for his health at the moment after a nightmare two years plagued with injuries and who'd blame him.

• Advertisement

Patww79 wrote: »

No, we shouldn't. theres logic as to why he is completely focusing on his club career at the moment after all the injuries and how Brentford stood by him and supported him but people seem reluctant to accept that. I would let him and expect him to wait until season's end to make his decision.

I wouldnt be too surprised if he's told MON he wants to play for Ireland but focus on his club career, try and finally have an injury free season for once before adding international football to his schedule.

Alan Judge gave an interview about Scott Hogan saying that there's no fear of him holding out for a better offer somewhere that he is just looking out for his health at the moment after a nightmare two years plagued with injuries and who'd blame him.
    Ideally that is what is happening be disgusted if it was a case of a player leading us on .Need more options up top badly.

Would he suit Irelands style of play? I haven't seen Brentford play but going from looking at their formations they seem to play with two up top which is something Ireland hasn't done in awhile I think preferring the lone striker as a target man.

Brentford played 5 at the back at the weekend and generally play just one up front.

Ideally that is what is happening be disgusted if it was a case of a player leading us on .Need more options up top badly.

Hopefully if he is to commit to Ireland it might see a change to the way we play. A big man little partner ship that worked for Keane and Quinn or a change to three at the back and two up front as I don't see him playing the same role that Long, Walters or Murphy play.

Brentford played 5 at the back at the weekend and generally play just one up front.

Did they, as I said I've only gone of formations I've seen and live score had them down as a 3412 this week.

• Advertisement

Genuine question, what are you basing that speculation on? Give me a quote from Hogan? He has made much more soundbites regarding playing for Ireland.

Here's what his own teammate, Alan Judge, said. I'd give more credibility to his opinion than speculative articles that are based on ifs, buts and maybes.

"I think he will come and play for us, he’s not stalling for a better offer, he has the right to take his time after two years of hell with injury. He’s played every minute of every game for us this season so he sees the international breaks as a chance to recover. If he does come and play for Ireland, he will be worth waiting for. He’s a good striker, quick and strong and he’s a natural goalscorer,” says Dubliner Judge.

Anything at all to back up that theory?

Did they, as I said I've only gone of formations I've seen and live score had them down as a 3412 this week.

No, generally their formation is one up front. In fact in last few months Smith has been criticised for not playing 2 in the forward line.

Because then he will be similarly criticised by Irish fans if he has declared for us yet is refusing call ups. Makes sense to me. Anyway, I can't give you any more factual evidence at this stage so it is merely two views of the scenario clashing! So lets leave it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Because then he will be similarly criticised by Irish fans if he has declared for us yet is refusing call ups. Makes sense to me. Anyway, I can't give you any more factual evidence at this stage so it is merely two views of the scenario clashing! So lets leave it!

Then he should accept the call ups. If he is playing for his club he is back from injury. He wither wants to play for Ireland or he doesn't. Our next game is in 4 months time so that is plenty of time for him to make his mind up and if he is asked to join the squad and refuses that should be the end of him playing for Ireland.

Then he should accept the call ups. If he is playing for his club he is back from injury. He wither wants to play for Ireland or he doesn't. Our next game is in 4 months time so that is plenty of time for him to make his mind up and if he is asked to join the squad and refuses that should be the end of him playing for Ireland.

The whole point is he doesn't want to go on international duty of any kind at the moment . And there is perfectly reasonable, understandable and clearly explained reasons for this.
    So why would he accept the call ups?? He owes his club a lot, he may feel, and perhaps they have mutually agreed that he focus on his club career this season which was rampaged by injuries for a couple of years. Maybe he may decide come March but up until now he has a perfectly reasonable excuse to forego any international commitments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

The whole point is he doesn't want to go on international duty of any kind at the moment . And there is perfectly reasonable, understandable and clearly explained reasons for this.
    So why would he accept the call ups?? He owes his club a lot, he may feel, and perhaps they have mutually agreed that he focus on his club career this season which was rampaged by injuries for a couple of years. Maybe he may decide come March but up until now he has a perfectly reasonable excuse to forego any international commitments.

I agree with this to an extent, but March has to be decision time. It's understandable that he wants to get fully fit and him not being in the squads in September and October was quite understandable, we could have really done with him in Austria considering our lack of options up front but again he has only been back from injury around 6 or 7 months, but by March he needs to be on or be out.

Would he have turned down Englands game against Scotland if they came calling?

I agree with this to an extent, but March has to be decision time. It's understandable that he wants to get fully fit and him not being in the squads in September and October was quite understandable, we could have really done with him in Austria considering our lack of options up front but again he has only been back from injury around 6 or 7 months, but by March he needs to be on or be out.

Would he have turned down Englands game against Scotland if they came calling?

I would imagine so. He is not playing psychological games! He has been straight to the point since as far back as last Summer about all this.

Anyway, this is just going down the Harry Arter "will he, won't he" route and we are all just going around in circles! There is a certain amount of optimism behind my confidence he will declare for us, of course, but there is plenty of logic also as to why he has shunned any definitive press comments on the matter.
    After speaking to his agent, O Neill did specifically say he was hopeful he would make a decision in March so I certainly will give him the benefit of the doubt until then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I'd agree that if he doesn't commit for March then he should wait until the next campaign.

I'd hate to see a situation where he waits until we're qualified before committing and someone who has turned up throughout the campaign gets dropped for the world cup.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

I'd agree that if he doesn't commit for March then he should wait until the next campaign.

I'd hate to see a situation where he waits until we're qualified before committing and someone who has turned up throughout the campaign gets dropped for the world cup.

Completely agree.

He needs to earn his crust to earn a place in our "World Cup squad" :D

If he's called up in March and he doesn't commit that should be it for him with Ireland.

Ugh, I find the last few pages of this thread so depressing.

My view is if the guy is offered a chance to play in a WORLD CUP qualifier and declines that opportunity then he should be told in no uncertain terms where to go.

We don't need weak, half-hearted players. I'm quite sure if Jon Walters had several of his toes cut off he would still do his damnedest to play the week of a game, as would Robbie Keane in years past; and if this guy can't exemplify that attitude then he can take a running jump. No matter how many goals he scores against Burton Albion!

Ugh, I find the last few pages of this thread so depressing.

My view is if the guy is offered a chance to play in a WORLD CUP qualifier and declines that opportunity then he should be told in no uncertain terms where to go.

We don't need weak, half-hearted players. I'm quite sure if Jon Walters had several of his toes cut off he would still do his damnedest to play the week of a game, as would Robbie Keane in years past; and if this guy can't exemplify that attitude then he can take a running jump. No matter how many goals he scores against Burton Albion!

Nonsense. He had two horrific cruciate injuries. Barely played any football for 2 and a half years before this season. And his club stood by him. Silly sensationalism like that Walters analogy is ridiculous given his situation.

The point is he has no Irish squad attachments yet so he isn't being unloyal but he is eligible for us and has shown interest. We are crying out for a striker and at the end of the day it is perfectly normal that he doesn't go to bed at night dreaming of playing in the Aviva. Like a good percentage of our best players over the last 30 years didn't before they took a call up.

Calling him weak, half hearted and with bad attitude, given the circumstances, is a load of rubbish.

Nonsense. He had two horrific cruciate injuries. Barely played any football for 2 and a half years before this season. And his club stood by him. Silly sensationalism like that Walters analogy is ridiculous given his situation.

The point is he has no Irish squad attachments yet so he isn't being unloyal but he is eligible for us and has shown interest. We are crying out for a striker and at the end of the day it is perfectly normal that he doesn't go to bed at night dreaming of playing in the Aviva. Like a good percentage of our best players over the last 30 years didn't before they took a call up.

Calling him weak, half hearted and with bad attitude, given the circumstances, is a load of rubbish.

This is not the club game. The international game is about pride in representing your country and it should be an honour to play for Ireland for any player who has the chance if he doesn't deem it to be that important then that is perfectly fine for him but this sort of stuff where players don't jump at the chance to play for their country really cheapens international football and it disrespects the team and all those who were born outside of Ireland who desperately wanted to play for Ireland and had no hesitations about playing for Ireland. I can somewhat accept his reasons for not wanting to play now but if he decides not to accept the call up in March then that is it for good for him.

If he turns down a chance to play in the games next year - which are of massive importance to us - due to worries over his fitness, or because he isn't sure if he wants to play for England, then that suggests a weak mentality and/or a half-hearted attitude.

What I find a load of rubbish is fans falling over themselves to find excuses for a guy who's had a few good months in the second tier of English football. I know we are in need of more depth up front but we don't need to throw away our dignity by fawning over a guy who has not really proven anything as yet.

This is not the club game. The international game is about pride in representing your country and it should be an honour to play for Ireland for any player who has the chance if he doesn't deem it to be that important then that is perfectly fine for him but this sort of stuff where players don't jump at the chance to play for their country really cheapens international football and it disrespects the team and all those who were born outside of Ireland who desperately wanted to play for Ireland and had no hesitations about playing for Ireland. I can somewhat accept his reasons for not wanting to play now but if he decides not to accept the call up in March then that is it for good for him.

But do you expect him to be weeping with pride at the juncture?

I doubt most of our granny rule players, when they first entered the squad were bursting with this huge heart on sleeve pride initially but were eager to play international football and maybe grow that pride. The likes of Houghton, Mcateer and Aldridge were open about the fact that they jumped on the bandwagon a bit when they got the call up and their pride grew over time.

If you can understand the reasons why he has not accepted a call up yet, then I don't know why you are reading more into it and bringing up the "honour" card at the moment. Give him the benefit of the doubt and hopefully he will continue his form, keep injury free and be wearing a green shirt soon. Maybe he won't.

He seems to have a sensible head on his shoulders. And he is clearly also in some sort of an understanding with Brentford WHO PAY HIS wages and have paid his wages for 2 years when he played 8 games to concentrate on his club football at the moment.

If he turns down a chance to play in the games next year - which are of massive importance to us - due to worries over his fitness, or because he isn't sure if he wants to play for England, then that suggests a weak mentality and/or a half-hearted attitude.

What I find a load of rubbish is fans falling over themselves to find excuses for a guy who's had a few good months in the second tier of English football. I know we are in need of more depth up front but we don't need to throw away our dignity by fawning over a guy who has not really proven anything as yet.

That is completely different to now though. Thats the point. People seem to be judging him for concentrating on his club career at the moment.

• Advertisement

But do you expect him to be weeping with pride at the juncture?

I doubt most of our granny rule players, when they first entered the squad were bursting with this huge heart on sleeve pride initially but were eager to play international football and maybe grow that pride. The likes of Houghton, Mcateer and Aldridge were open about the fact that they jumped on the bandwagon a bit when they got the call up and their pride grew over time.

If you can understand the reasons why he has not accepted a call up yet, then I don't know why you are reading more into it and bringing up the "honour" card at the moment. Give him the benefit of the doubt and hopefully he will continue his form, keep injury free and be wearing a green shirt soon. Maybe he won't.

He seems to have a sensible head on his shoulders. And he is clearly also in some sort of an understanding with Brentford WHO PAY HIS wages and have paid his wages for 2 years when he played 8 games to concentrate on his club football at the moment.

None of those players turned Ireland down though.

I'm not a particularly big fan of the grandparents rule in the first place.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement