Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

None of those players turned Ireland down though.

I'm not a particularly big fan of the grandparents rule in the first place.

None of those players were just back from the best part of two years with cruciate injuries when they were called up. That is the whole basis of this. Hogan played 8 games in over 2 years for his club just after they signed him from lower divisions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

That is completely different to now though. Thats the point. People seem to be judging him for concentrating on his club career at the moment.

Fair enough. I would give him some leeway as things stand. But if he is hemming and hawing if offered a chance for the crucial qualifiers in March then we have to move on for our own sake.

By the way, Houghton was not a granny rule guy. His father's from Donegal and I'm pretty sure he was delighted to play for Ireland right from the start. Big loss for the Scots that one. :cool:

Fair enough. I would give him some leeway as things stand. But if he is hemming and hawing if offered a chance for the crucial qualifiers in March then we have to move on for our own sake.

By the way, Houghton was not a granny rule guy. His father's from Donegal and I'm pretty sure he was delighted to play for Ireland right from the start. Big loss for the Scots that one. :cool:

Houghton stated that he wanted to play for Scotland. But they showed no interest, he said so he took the call up from Jack.
    I've no doubt he was delighted to play for Ireland but he grew up a Scottish kid who wanted to play for Scotland.
    Granny rule skit term was used generally, although obviously not literally correct for a few like Lawrenson, Aldridge and Houghton, as a collective term for all these foreign born players

this gives a bit of an insight into the likes of Houghton accepting Ireland call up

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/competitions/english/interview-ray-houghton-a-scot-despite-everything-1-3598429

Houghton stated that he wanted to play for Scotland. But they showed no interest, he said so he took the call up from Jack.
    I've no doubt he was delighted to play for Ireland but he grew up a Scottish kid who wanted to play for Scotland.
    Granny rule skit term was used generally, although obviously not literally correct for a few like Lawrenson, Aldridge and Houghton, as a collective term for all these foreign born players

this gives a bit of an insight into the likes of Houghton accepting Ireland call up

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/competitions/english/interview-ray-houghton-a-scot-despite-everything-1-3598429

The granny rule jibe is used for guys who accept a call up but know little of the country they represent. That hardly applies to a guy whose dad was from Donegal, like Houghton.

I don't dispute that he felt and feels Scottish; but I think it's unfair to label him like you did as someone who jumped on a bandwagon and whose pride grew over time. He shouldn't be mentioned with the likes of McAteer who probably would have thought Buncrana was a type of pastry.

The granny rule jibe is used for guys who accept a call up but know little of the country they represent. That hardly applies to a guy whose dad was from Donegal, like Houghton.

I don't dispute that he felt and feels Scottish; but I think it's unfair to label him like you did as someone who jumped on a bandwagon and whose pride grew over time. He shouldn't be mentioned with the likes of McAteer who probably would have thought Buncrana was a type of pastry.

Well he did jump on the bandwagon as, as he said "he had no choice". And his pride would have grown over time. He had no aspirations about playing for Ireland but in the end accepted Jacks call up because he was rejected time and time again by Scotland. So obviously, he didn't enter the squad with this huge Green jerseyed pride initially.
    I love Houghton but facts are facts.

I think what you said about Hogan's mentality earlier is much more unfair,

Sheedy is another guy. When he was asked to play for Ireland the first thing he done was call the welsh FA to see if they were interested in him!

Noone complains about these guys now though!

• Advertisement

Well he did jump on the bandwagon as, as he said "he had no choice". And his pride would have grown over time. He had no aspirations about playing for Ireland but in the end accepted Jacks call up because he was rejected time and time again by Scotland. So obviously, he didn't enter the squad with this huge Green jerseyed pride initially.
    I love Houghton but facts are facts.

I think what you said about Hogan's mentality earlier is much more unfair,

I wasn't aware Big Jack put a gun to Houghton's head and said accept the chance to play for Ireland or else. Once offered the chance he didn't hem or haw or dilly dally like others we could name - why was that, I wonder?

But yeah, I mean why would a guy who is half-Irish have any love for his parent's homeland? Of course most Irish people who move abroad and have kids NEVER tell their children anything positive about their native land. Only way you'll ever find out about that sort of thing is if an international coach comes along and offers you a cap. :pac:

I wasn't aware Big Jack put a gun to Houghton's head and said accept the chance to play for Ireland or else. Once offered the chance he didn't hem or haw or dilly dally like others we could name - why was that, I wonder?

But yeah, I mean why would a guy who is half-Irish have any love for his parent's homeland? Of course most Irish people who move abroad and have kids NEVER tell their children anything positive about their native land. Only way you'll ever find out about that sort of thing is if an international coach comes along and offers you a cap. :pac:

no need to be a smart a4se.

no need to be a smart a4se.

Just think you're being quite harsh on an Irish legend. But not gonna keep flogging this over and over. All the best. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭rebelomar

I think it's always difficult for lads of dual nationality in making a final decision who to represent.

I think it's even more complicated for lads who genuinely have the option of playing for both Ireland and England at their respective grades.

Being born in a country you must feel some attachment to it no matter how much your parents may or may not try to raise you to consider yourself Irish.

I don't think this is the case with Hogan...it just seems to be whether he wants to play any international football at all?

I think the recent Jack Grealish saga has muddled the waters further for any young lad who may be undecided and need some time.

Guys like Michael Keane, Dan Crowley and Marcus McGuane have all recently opted to turn their backs on Ireland. These are guys who have played in the green shirt yet still obviously felt strong enough in their English roots to move back.

Maybe it was a mercenary move in the first place to play with Ireland and there's a chance of that too but I also believe some of these lads and others in future will be conflicted in their choices.

The lad Cian Flanagan at Palace is the latest where we will possibly see a tug of war for his allegiance as England are rumoured to be chasing him.

Of course the biggest issue in all this is that these lads have been taking the place of Irish born kids desperate to play for their country but maybe not quite as talented.

Unless the FAI decide to abandon their pursuit of these English born lads for our underage sides it will continue to be a bone of contention. I'm unsure of what they should do. At the moment it seems any kid showing real promise like the lads above are jumping ship back to England.

Of course England are no longer producing premier league players in the numbers they once were so they will be fighting tooth and nail for every lad available in the coming years.

In an ideal world you put all your energies into developing your own players and hope that produces the necessary talent for your senior team but we can't say guys like Michael Keane and Grealish wouldn't add to senior squad at present.

I respect the opinion of posters who want full unquestionable commitment from an international player for this country from the time of initial selection/enquiry but I also feel just because some lads may take a little persuasion for the reasons mentioned above and if we can get them they will put their shoulders to wheel for the "cause" when their time comes.

Ciaran Clark captained English underage sides and I'd never for one minute question his commitment on the pitch for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I don't think Grealish would add anything to our squad at present he has been dire for a while now .Michael Keane would be a huge addition and I'd expect him to be chased by plenty of clubs in the summer if Burnley get relegated.Pity he decided to play for England.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

rebelomar wrote: »

I think the recent Jack Grealish saga has muddled the waters further for any young lad who may be undecided and need some time.

Guys like Michael Keane, Dan Crowley and Marcus McGuane have all recently opted to turn their backs on Ireland. These are guys who have played in the green shirt yet still obviously felt strong enough in their English roots to move back.

Maybe it was a mercenary move in the first place to play with Ireland and there's a chance of that too but I also believe some of these lads and others in future will be conflicted in their choices.

If we include them in underage teams, I think the possibility they play senior for Ireland is much higher.
    They won't always, but for every Grealish, there are probably a few who start off with a "yerra why not?" when asked to play for our youth teams, and end up contributing at senior level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Wales away ticket allocation update

http://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/fai-agrees-ticket-allocation-for-2017-qualifier-in-wales
    The ticket allocation is dependent on the final game in Group D being hosted in the Cardiff City Stadium or in the Principality Stadium. However, early indications suggest that it will be in the Cardiff City Stadium, which has a total capacity of 33,280.

Under FIFA regulations, host nations must offer at least five per cent of tickets to visiting supporters, but following discussions with the FAW, Ireland supporters travelling to Cardiff in October 2017 will be able to access more tickets to meet the expected high demand.

Should the Principality Stadium be chosen for the game, the FAW has indicated that it will be in a position to release more tickets again, but the agreement provides some certainty for Ireland supporters at this early stage.

The FAI continues to negotiate with all participating nations to cater for the most loyal Ireland supporters, who come under the Republic of Ireland Soccer Supporters Clubs and Fans' Direct.

Under the Away Ticketing Scheme, so far in this qualifying campaign over 4,500 loyal supporters have been supplied with tickets for the draw with Serbia in Belgrade and the victories over Moldova and Austria in Chisinau and Vienna respectively.

As a result of ongoing discussions with the Confederation of Republic of Ireland Supporters Clubs, the FAI has increased the allocation that will be reserved for regular away supporters in the breakdown of the distribution scheme. The new lay-out is as follows:

45 per cent will be distributed to supporters from affiliated football Leagues and more than 2,000 clubs which fall under their remit, Board and National Council members, players/staff, Club Ireland members, and Jack Charlton Lounge patrons.

40 per cent will be allocated to independent supporters who are members of Republic of Ireland Soccer Supporter Clubs and Fans' Direct.

15 per cent will be provided to supporters travelling with the FAI's official travel partner, Abbey Travel - these supporters have their details of match attendance at away games logged should they ever decide to apply independently for tickets.

The Confederation of Republic of Ireland Supporters Clubs (CRISC) said the increase by 10 per cent in allocation for members of supporters clubs and Fans' Direct was good news for all regular away supporters.

Declan Finnegan, Ticketing Officer of CRISC, said: "We are pleased the FAI has listened and responded to the approaches made by CRISC, by increasing the allocation to supporters clubs and Fans' Direct. We will continue to work with the FAI to ensure that a fair allocation of tickets is made available for all regular away supporters."

F*ck it, sure we will be home and dry by then! :D

F*ck it, sure we will be home and dry by then! :D

Heres hoping anyway. :o

Those percentages mean nothing when there isn't a transparent ticketing system in place.It's a pity the FAI give so little of a **** about the supporters that they can't have a proper system .The Scottish and Welsh FA put them to shame.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Heres hoping anyway. :o

Sure we will give Paul McShane and Kevin Doyle a run out that game. By then the likes of Cyrus Christie, Harry Arter and Scott Hogan will deserve a night off!

Shodipo has signed a new contract with QPR .Good to see some of our younger lads making progress,he has made 11 league appearences so far and been involved with every match squad.

Sure we will give Paul McShane and Kevin Doyle a run out that game.

Are you Martin O'Neill ?!

These guys need to be thanked for their service, and cut from the panel. Give younger lads a chance.

Are you Martin O'Neill ?!

These guys need to be thanked for their service, and cut from the panel. Give younger lads a chance.

it was a joke based on an earlier post....................:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Debil

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,991 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Fingers crossed

Fingers, toes and legs crossed that it's true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Maybe I'm missing something but why would they not put the Wales game (away) in the Millennium Stadium? Or is it a case of them not expecting those kind of figures so they're opting for a smaller ground?

Edit: Nevermind, just noticed the Millennium is known as the Principality Stadium. News to me.

Cake Man wrote: »
    Maybe I'm missing something but why would they not put the Wales game (away) in the Millennium Stadium? Or is it a case of them not expecting those kind of figures so they're opting for a smaller ground?

Edit: Nevermind, just noticed the Millennium is known as the Principality Stadium. News to me.

Players were supposed to prefer Cardiff City stadium and Wales weren't filling out Millennium so it made sense to not play there.Even after their Euro performance they would find it difficult to fill Millennium.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭rebelomar

yabadabado wrote: »
    I don't think Grealish would add anything to our squad at present he has been dire for a while now .Michael Keane would be a huge addition and I'd expect him to be chased by plenty of clubs in the summer if Burnley get relegated.Pity he decided to play for England.

With all due respect anybody who saw his recent performances against Brighton and Cardiff would say the kid has a hell of a lot to offer us...but to be fair it's all redundant now anyway. Best of luck to the chap.

I'd love to see more of John Egan and Conor Hourihane....fans of both their respective clubs seem to think they will do well to hold onto them in January.

On a side note is great to see these lads coming through after being left go by big clubs not so long ago.

It's disappointing to see Jack Byrne struggle for game time at Blackburn. I feel he may have been better off going abroad for another spell.

I wonder will they call a halt to his loan in January and seek a new opportunity for him? It's really halted the momentum he had going.

With all due respect anybody who saw his recent performances against Brighton and Cardiff would say the kid has a hell of a lot to offer us...but to be fair it's all redundant now anyway. Best of luck to the chap...

And if you add in that cup match the season before last, that's 3 great games. Southgate will be knocking on the door.

His record last season of 16 appearances and 16 losses in the top flight, that's one that could last forever.

With all due respect anybody who saw his recent performances against Brighton and Cardiff would say the kid has a hell of a lot to offer us...but to be fair it's all redundant now anyway. Best of luck to the chap.

I'd love to see more of John Egan and Conor Hourihane....fans of both their respective clubs seem to think they will do well to hold onto them in January.

On a side note is great to see these lads coming through after being left go by big clubs not so long ago.

It's disappointing to see Jack Byrne struggle for game time at Blackburn. I feel he may have been better off going abroad for another spell.

I wonder will they call a halt to his loan in January and seek a new opportunity for him? It's really halted the momentum he had going.

2 games in the last 18 months ain't much to shout about .The lad has talent but he has been brutal for the majority of the games he has played recently. Even if had declaredd for us he wouldn't be getting into the starting xi and I doubt he would have gone to France.

Jack Byrne needs to get outta Blackburn asap but he was probably overhyped after last season when all most people seen was a highlights reel of his good moments.A good loan move is imperative now but he's another who will have to bide his time with a few good options well ahead of him.

2 games in the last 18 months ain't much to shout about .The lad has talent but he has been brutal for the majority of the games he has played recently.

If you consider him passed out the road in the Canaries, taking nitrous oxide, going on the tear after his club were hammered by Everton etc., he's surely had as many great nights out as great games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Players were supposed to prefer Cardiff City stadium and Wales weren't filling out Millennium so it made sense to not play there.Even after their Euro performance they would find it difficult to fill Millennium.

Jaysus, certainly looks full when ive seen it the last campaign and this (albeit good times).

Surprised there is an atmosphere problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,499 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

noodler wrote: »

Jaysus, certainly looks full when ive seen it the last campaign and this (albeit good times).

All those games were in Cardiff City Stadium, not the Millennium.

I like how they're keeping the option of the bigger ground open. They know if both teams have a chance to qualify, it'll be the millennium, if Wales are out, can keep it in the smaller ground.

Regarding players and suspect about their commitment to Ireland, I like to use Damien Delaney as a standard. Lots if calls for him to be picked, he had no interest. All of a sudden it looked like Ireland could get to France and he's interested all of a sudden. Good riddance, fairly sure MON said as much too!

noodler wrote: »

IIRC they havent played in the Millenium stadium since 2012 Euro qualifiers and they played all their home qualifiers in Cardiff City stadium for Euro 16.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

IIRC they havent played in the Millenium stadium since 2012 Euro qualifiers and they played all their home qualifiers in Cardiff City stadium for Euro 16.

I had no idea.

Would the €€€€ be a factor if the Welsh FA knew they could sell out the Millenium stadium?

Obviously the smaller stadium is better if there is a smaller crowd, but when demand is high and people could miss out on a ticket....

Would the €€€€ be a factor if the Welsh FA knew they could sell out the Millenium stadium?

Obviously the smaller stadium is better if there is a smaller crowd, but when demand is high and people could miss out on a ticket....

Reportedly FAW aren't money grappers and will do what's best for their team.

they could also see it as looking after their own fans, but fair enough

• Advertisement

they could also see it as looking after their own fans, but fair enough

I dont think that will really be an issue or they wouldn't have given us more than our allocation.Wales don't get huge crowds at their games.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,611 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

I doubt that. Why would the FAW be any different to any other Football Association when it comes to maximising profits?

TheCitizen wrote: »
    I doubt that. Why would the FAW be any different to any other Football Association when it comes to maximising profits?

Only saying what I was told by 2 lads who I know that are Wales supporters,that was their spin on it.

Even if they did play it in the Millennium ,would they get 50K at it?It doesn't need to be decided for 60 days prior to the game so it could well end up there.

They switched their qualifier v England to the Millennium stadium a few years back, due to the levels of interest.
    So there is a precedent.

The irish will travel in decent number anyway, probably somewhere between 5-10k.

It'll be like the Soctland away game anyway, there'll be a lot of Irish in the home section.

• Advertisement

GavRedKing wrote: »
    The irish will travel in decent number anyway, probably somewhere between 5-10k.

It'll be like the Soctland away game anyway, there'll be a lot of Irish in the home section.

Would have thought Ireland might bring more, particularly with so many Irish based across the water and able to drive to it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Would have thought Ireland might bring more, particularly with so many Irish based across the water and able to drive to it.

If it was to qualify, I'd say up to 10k could end up going.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

While we are on the subject anyone thinking of going should book a room in Cardiff asap.A lot of places already booked out and rooms are fairly scarce.
    I booked rooms in September and it was slim pickings even then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Just the 3 assists for Conor Hourihane today. :eek:

He left Sunderland to link up with Keane again at Ipswich, failed to make an appearance for either club, but has been superb at League Two, League One and now Championship level over the last few years.

Noteworthy that his contract is up after this season too.

Can't be long until he gets a chance the way he's playing?

Paully D wrote: »
    Just the 3 assists for Conor Hourihane today. :eek:

He left Sunderland to link up with Keane again at Ipswich, failed to make an appearance for either club, but has been superb at League Two, League One and now Championship level over the last few years.

Noteworthy that his contract is up after this season too.

Can't be long until he gets a chance the way he's playing?

He is having an excellent season and I'd presume he will be getting a cap v Iceland .There will be plenty of interest in him from the bigger championship clubs in the close season ,I was reading recently that he was statisticly the championships best player so far this season.

Brady was very decent again yesterday, a goal and an assist. I won't mention a certain someone on the opposition but he actually still stood out despite losing 5-0! With Brentfords season spectacularly capitulating, no doubt he will probably be cashed in on next Summer

Wes didn't get any minutes but has featured very regularly this season so not too worried about game time for him.

Jonny Walters with a lovely goal this weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Mushy wrote: »

Harry Arter played very well against Pool.

Harry Arter played very well against Pool.

Only saw first half and he was very weak for Origi goal. Glad to hear he improved!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Only saw first half and he was very weak for Origi goal. Glad to hear he improved!

Yep. He allowed himself to be easily enough dispossessed but he did play well apart from that. He will learn from his mistake hopefully.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement