Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Poor old Coleman got an awful doing with Zlatan falling on him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Ya agree he was poor for goal but overall had very good game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

Very good article in The Guardian about Arter's last 12 months - link

Great to see him keep things on track after that terrible personal tragedy.

(Warning: that article might be tough reading for anyone who has experienced something similar.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,497 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Does anybody know how to get sse rewards tickets? I signed up but no sign of it on sse site, and can't start thread asking sse here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Jeff Hendrick and Stephen Ward have both scored for Burnley in the first 15 minutes of their game against Bournemouth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Patww79 wrote: »

Its good that his form is returning. Hope he keeps it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Hendrick had a good game today,has the talent but consistency is a problem for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Hendrick has been consistent in an Ireland jersey.

Two more for Scott Hogan today, one for Conor Hourihane too.

• Advertisement

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Hendrick has been consistent in an Ireland jersey.

Two more for Scott Hogan today, one for Conor Hourihane too.

He has done well for us but hhe seems to be the type of lad who drifts out of games.Still fairly young and is making the step up to the EPL so can't be too harsh on him.
    It was a criticism that a lot of Derby fans of him 1 good game and 2 or 3 games where he would be anonymous.

Our CM options are looking good at the moment .

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭The Red Lad

Harry Arthur is top quality on his day hopefully McCleans international form will stay for the Wales game we need him Walters and Hendricks to be on form especially with Brady out. Think Bale will be out for game here's hoping anyway and with Ramsey not getting much game time at Arsenal that's a bonus too !!

• Patww79 wrote: »

Loved his take down for the half volley
    Great technique & finish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Hourihane seems to be having a great season, hard to know who you would leave out of the squad to include him though, still a lot of people ahead of him in the pecking order for a midfield spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Hourihane seems to be having a great season, hard to know who you would leave out of the squad to include him though, still a lot of people ahead of him in the pecking order for a midfield spot.

Oh so your saying our regular midfielders should stay and we continue to leave out the fella who has 4 goals and 8 assists.

Maybe it would be a good idea to drop the loyalty bull**** and play our best performing players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Oh so your saying our regular midfielders should stay and we continue to leave out the fella who has 4 goals and 8 assists.

Maybe it would be a good idea to drop the loyalty bull**** and play our best performing players.

Who should he replace?

• Advertisement

Who should he replace?

Well given that right now he's statistically the best player in the Championship,your question should be who starts alongside him.Any other manager would have him an automatic starter and rightly so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I don't really care.I just think its farcical that our best performing midfielder who has been club captain since the age of 21,won two cups at Wembley this year,is an all-round midfielder and he cannot make the Ireland team.Then to top it all off Roy Keane told him he needs to do more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,311 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

World class save from Randolph there to deny Henderson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

I don't really care.I just think its farcical that our best performing midfielder who has been club captain since the age of 21,won two cups at Wembley this year,is an all-round midfielder and he cannot make the Ireland team.Then to top it all off Roy Keane told him he needs to do more.
    He's performing better at a lower level, surely that's obvious. Again, who do you drop?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭ahlookit

World class save from Randolph there to deny Henderson.

Good recovery after his horrible mistake for Liverpools equaliser. Hopefully he'll get a run of games in the first team now

In fairness, he has been captain in that division for a year. He was captain at Plymouth in the 4th tier.

I mean, fair play to him, but I'm not sure I'd be axing one of the midfielders who have played many times at international level. Even Arter, playing in a higher division, didn't easily displace the tried and tested players. Who would you axe from the team to accommodate him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Who should he replace?
    Well given that right now he's statistically the best player in the Championship,your question should be who starts alongside him.Any other manager would have him an automatic starter and rightly so.
    AgileMyth wrote: »
    He's performing better at a lower level, surely that's obvious. Again, who do you drop?
    In fairness, he has been captain in that division for a year. He was captain at Plymouth in the 4th tier.

I mean, fair play to him, but I'm not sure I'd be axing one of the midfielders who have played many times at international level. Even Arter, playing in a higher division, didn't easily displace the tried and tested players. Who would you axe from the team to accommodate him?

:D:D:D

Hopefully Randolph is getting all his mistakes out of the way before the Wales match.

Relax there.

Arter, McCarthy, Hendrick, Whelan and probably Meyler are all ahead of him in the pecking order. Most of the above get regular enough games in the premier league, whereas Hourihane has never even played a PL game yet.

I would like to see Hourihane get a chance maybe in the Iceland game but it's not as straight forward as you're saying for someone to break into the Ireland team, and rightly so. Despite his current form, Hourihane is untested at this level. I certainly wouldn't be throwing him straight in against the Welsh, maybe if we were playing terribly and in desperate need for a change you would have a point but we are top of the group and the players have been getting the results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Hopefully Randolph is getting all his mistakes out of the way before the Wales match.

He any well find himself back on the bench at West Ham if he keeps making them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

He any well find himself back on the bench at West Ham if he keeps making them

Made up for it with that save for the Henderson strike I reckon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Redo91

Relax there.

Arter, McCarthy, Hendrick, Whelan and probably Meyler are all ahead of him in the pecking order. Most of the above get regular enough games in the premier league, whereas Hourihane has never even played a PL game yet.

I would like to see Hourihane get a chance maybe in the Iceland game but it's not as straight forward as you're saying for someone to break into the Ireland team, and rightly so. Despite his current form, Hourihane is untested at this level. I certainly wouldn't be throwing him straight in against the Welsh, maybe if we were playing terribly and in desperate need for a change you would have a point but we are top of the group and the players have been getting the results.

Myler is struggling to get in the starting XI for Hull so he's the obvious one to drop out for me.

So, it appears that Preston North End have signed up Horgan and Boyle from Dundalk.
    I'd be interested to know how much €€€ Dundalk will get for this.

They will join fellow Irishmen Aidan McGeady, Greg Cunningham, Eoin Doyle, Alan Browne.

(and Alan Kelly on the coaching staff).

They can be our new second team!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

So, it appears that Preston North End have signed up Horgan and Boyle from Dundalk.

They will join fellow Irishmen Aidan McGeady, Greg Cunningham, Eoin Doyle, Alan Browne.

0 - they were both out of contract

• Advertisement

Redo91 wrote: »
    Myler is struggling to get in the starting XI for Hull so he's the obvious one to drop out for me.

But he was excellent in our recent away win at Austria, arguably man of the match, so hardly that obvious of a candidate to drop out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭Raoul

0 - they were both out of contract

Yep. Again Dundalk are unfortunate that players that have a chance of moving on to England don't want to sign longer contracts. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Raoul wrote: »
    Yep. Again Dundalk are unfortunate that players that have a chance of moving on to England don't want to sign longer contracts. :(

I wouldn't blame it on players not wanting to sign longer contracts. It is more down to all clubs in the league not being able to offer multi year contracts and leave themselves financially exposed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,991 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

I wouldn't blame it on players not wanting to sign longer contracts. It is more down to all clubs in the league not being able to offer multi year contracts and leave themselves financially exposed

I think some clubs could afford multi year deals for the right players but players know it's easier to move to England with one year deals and makes it easier to move around the league to whoever will pay them the most to get the best contract year after year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭Raoul

Oh yeah, I'm not blaming the players. They have to look out for themselves. Horgan actually was on a 2 year contract.

I think some clubs could afford multi year deals for the right players but players know it's easier to move to England with one year deals and makes it easier to move around the league to whoever will pay them the most to get the best contract year after year.

Club's give players 44 week contacts id reckon the majority of players would prefer proper contracts

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

yabadabado wrote: »
    Club's give players 44 week contacts id reckon the majority of players would prefer proper contracts

That's the problem, players are able to sign on for the other 8 weeks or do a few jobs and earn more money that way than on a 52 week contract. Players don't get good wages so they're better off this way. If a club pays a player over 52 weeks, they'll just end up with a lower weekly wage. If a player is on 500 a week a team won't increase his wages from 22k to 26k, they'll just pay him 423 per week instead.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,611 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Will Horgan be competing with McGeady for a start, although McGeady normally plays on the right. McGeady is only there on loan anyway and doesn't always start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Redo91

But he was excellent in our recent away win at Austria, arguably man of the match, so hardly that obvious of a candidate to drop out?

That's a fair point. He'd be my pick but ya maybe a bit harsh given how good he was in the Austria game.

• Advertisement

Redo91 wrote: »
    That's a fair point. He'd be my pick but ya maybe a bit harsh given how good he was in the Austria game.

He would also be my pick but as people have said, very hard to leave him out after his performance against Austria and when he has generally played pretty well for us. I am all for giving Hourihane a run in a friendly match but he is still some way off being a starting player, he only has about 20 Championship matches under his belt with the rest being in League 1/2.

What is the story with Alan Judge? He seemed to be last seasons Hourihane. I know he was terribly unlucky with the timing of his injury but surely he must be getting close to a come back now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,991 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

He would also be my pick but as people have said, very hard to leave him out after his performance against Austria and when he has generally played pretty well for us. I am all for giving Hourihane a run in a friendly match but he is still some way off being a starting player, he only has about 20 Championship matches under his belt with the rest being in League 1/2.

What is the story with Alan Judge? He seemed to be last seasons Hourihane. I know he was terribly unlucky with the timing of his injury but surely he must be getting close to a come back now?

http://m.herald.ie/sport/soccer/judge-has-world-cup-target-on-road-to-recovery-35167369.html

Interview he done with the Herald at the end of October. He doesn't give a definitive date but he says that hopefully be back by early February.

Robbie Brady being linked with Aston Villa.
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2016/1213/838469-villa-eye-up-l10million-swoop-for-robbie-brady/

He might be better off biding his time to get a Premier League move, alrthough hard to turn down a higher salary.
    Wait and see if Villa/Norwich get promoted this season.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2016/1213/838469-villa-eye-up-l10million-swoop-for-robbie-brady/

He might be better off biding his time to get a Premier League move, alrthough hard to turn down a higher salary.
    Yes, I'd wait if I was him. He could do better than Villa. Surprised he didn't get an EPL offer after the Euros.

Shane Duffy on the scoresheet at the right end for Brighton v Blackburn tonight. He has settled well there after a sticky patch at the start of the season when at Blackburn. There's a player there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,743 ✭✭✭Worztron

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Shane Duffy on the scoresheet at the right end for Brighton v Blackburn tonight. He has settled well there after a sticky patch at the start of the season when at Blackburn. There's a player there.

And Coleman has scored for Everton. :)

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Advertisement

Worztron wrote: »
    And Coleman has scored for Everton. :)
    Coleman is our best player. McCarthy played well for Everton tonight.

Robbie Brady is one of our better players as well and he's currently being linked with Aston Villa, he should reject them, and he'll get a move to a better club or maybe go back up again with Norwich. Norwich beat Villa 1-0 btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭The Red Lad

Imagine Coleman turned into are Gareth Bale lb converted into an attacker :P Duffy scored too !
    Hope Brady holds out he's good enough for a premiership move and delighted for Horgan think it was the right move as he will def get game time at Preston NE

Imagine Coleman turned into are Gareth Bale lb converted into an attacker :P Duffy scored too !
    Hope Brady holds out he's good enough for a premiership move and delighted for Horgan think it was the right move as he will def get game time at Preston NE

I've always thought that trying Coleman on the wing might not be a bad idea.It's such a shame that one of our most dynamic players is playing in a defensive position.

He's back to his best this season after tailing off a bit in the last couple of years under Martinez.

• I've always thought that trying Coleman on the wing might not be a bad idea.It's such a shame that one of our most dynamic players is playing in a defensive position.

He's back to his best this season after tailing off a bit in the last couple of years under Martinez.

Exciting times. He is totally is peaking at the right time. Looking forward to the Wales game even more now

Martinez had such a negative effect on the squad morale last season, I agree it also effected Coleman's performances

TheCitizen wrote: »

Yes, I'd wait if I was him. He could do better than Villa. Surprised he didn't get an EPL offer after the Euros.

EPL clubs wanted him, including Leicester, but Norwich put a huge price on his head apparently.

Which is their right to do I guess as he is under contract.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement