Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2017

Comments

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Exciting times. He is totally is peaking at the right time. Looking forward to the Wales game even more now

Martinez had such a negative effect on the squad morale last season, I agree it also effected Coleman's performances

Same number of points as they had after 16 games last season, 23.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

Same number of points as they had after 16 games last season, 23.

At this stage last season, Martinez had lost the dressing room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

McCarthy back to himself and Everton win

Screw you Dunphy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭bren2001

Koeman has suggested that something is right in the dressing room. This certainly fuels that theory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

I've always thought that trying Coleman on the wing might not be a bad idea.It's such a shame that one of our most dynamic players is playing in a defensive position.

He's back to his best this season after tailing off a bit in the last couple of years under Martinez.

You know he played on the wing for Everton for a couple of seasons?

• Same number of points as they had after 16 games last season, 23.

Still think the Team is in a way better place than it was

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

fullstop wrote: »
    You know he played on the wing for Everton for a couple of seasons?

I vaguely remember him playing games at the beginning of his Everton career on the wing but I didn't think he played that often there.

Still think the Team is in a way better place than it was

I dunno. They are in the same position and Martinez just seemed...less stupid! Koeman's fight with the Irish management, does he want to unsettle his best player? His comment about Lukaku deserving to play at a better club...headscratching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    McCarthy back to himself and Everton win

Screw you Dunphy

He had a couple of alright games this season and a decent 1 yesterday. Wouldn't get over excited.

In fact he has played 3 Everton games in almost 2 months. So hard to test form from that

• Advertisement

stick Damien Delaney in the number 10 position!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Starts for Randolph, Long, Whelan, Walters, O'Shea, Hendrick and Ward in the Premier League tonight, Meyler and McClean both came off the bench. McCarthy, Coleman and Arter all started games last night. We might not have many players playing for the top teams anymore but it's good that most of our first team squad is getting regular enough game time in the Premier League this season. I would expect both Brady and Clark to be there next season as well.

What ever happened to Marc Wilson? A year or two ago he was a regular for Stoke and an ever present in our starting XI but then he seemed to go off the radar completely. I think he was injured for a while (hence why he missed the Euros) but he hasn't got a look in at Bournemouth this year. Can't remember many players having such a fall out from the national team in a while, he is still 29 so you would think he could still be an important squad member.

I vaguely remember him playing games at the beginning of his Everton career on the wing but I didn't think he played that often there.

He played there for 2 seasons...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Didn't he also play on the wing for Sligo and Blackpool?

yabadabado wrote: »
    Didn't he also play on the wing for Sligo and Blackpool?

Right back for Sligo but yeah he played on the wing for Blackpool I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Patww79 wrote: »
    Did Hughton throw in the Towell then..................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

He didn't. Though he was justified as they scored two late goals to win.

Must have been all the cheerleading he did from the bench as an unused sub.

• Advertisement

Shane Long needs to move to get game time.

He definitely hasn't earned any game time recently anyway. A loan, even to the Championship, might be a good move.

He's nearly 30 as well.

Austin out, still can't get a game today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭eire4

noodler wrote: »
    Shane Long needs to move to get game time.

With Charlie Austin out injured now for a while he is getting a chance its up to him to show the kind of form he did last season to take advantage of that chance.

eire4 wrote: »
    With Charlie Austin out injured now for a while he is getting a chance its up to him to show the kind of form he did last season to take advantage of that chance.

quite difficult to "take advantage" when he isn't playing. Austin was out today, Rodriguez scored twice so very doubtful he will be able to take much advantage of Austin being out.

• Advertisement

He wasn't awful against Stoke to be fair. And before the game Rodriguez had more or less the same bad scoring fun as Long.

A lower EPL club or Championship club has to be better than not playing.

Koeman seemed to fancy him more than the new lad.

Which, in fairness, is not unreasonable given Austin's positive impact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Re: Towell

I was listening to Richie Sadlier on Second Captains a fee weeks ago. He was over in Brighton with Towell for a bit and was saying he was bought as a developmental player. He wasn't intended to be playing last season and was being prepped for this year. Things were going well Pre-Season but he got injured and fell back a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭bren2001

Re: Towell

I was listening to Richie Sadlier on Second Captains a fee weeks ago. He was over in Brighton with Towell for a bit and was saying he was bought as a developmental player. He wasn't intended to be playing last season and was being prepped for this year. Things were going well Pre-Season but he got injured and fell back a bit.

At 25 he should be playing regular first team football. He was unfortunate picking up an injury in preseason but he needs to break into that team. Otherwise, he should look for a loan move in January.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Looks like we got a €5,000 fine from FIFA for having the 1916 logo on our jerseys in the Swiss friendly.

I guess it's not an overly excessive amount, so probably best to accept it and move on.

Might have just been a token effort to avoid the British accusing them of double standards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Looks like we got a €5,000 fine from FIFA for having the 1916 logo on our jerseys in the Swiss friendly.

I guess it's not an overly excessive amount, so probably best to accept it and move on.

Might have just been a token effort to avoid the British accusing them of double standards
    We should pay the fine with 1916 commemorative coins

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭ahlookit

Sure its only a small bit of interest from FIFAs 5 million bung to Delaney to keep schtum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

ahlookit wrote: »
    Sure its only a small bit of interest from FIFAs 5 million bung to Delaney to keep schtum

very true

ahlookit wrote: »

About half a weeks wage for Delaney

• Registered Users Posts: 9,611 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

James McCarthy's injury issues are concerning, went off at half time v Liverpool.

• TheCitizen wrote: »
    James McCarthy's injury issues are concerning, went off at half time v Liverpool.

Reported to be his hamstring :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭eire4

Reported to be his hamstring :/

Definitely a concern but the reports are also saying that he may be able to play on St Stephen's Day so hopefully and it sounds like it from Koemans interview after the game that McCarthy was taken off at half time as a precaution to stop it becoming a major problem rather then it already a serious injury at that point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭markc91

markc91 wrote: »

It's really pathetic that we continue with this policy.

I don't necessarily have a problem with the FIFA rule as I belive it matches up with our citizenship requirements but there is no way if we had any pride we'd be chasing these players.As far as I am concerned it is up to the players to declare (and declare at a young age) that they want to play for Ireland and we shouldn't be chasing anybody.

This kind of stuff really takes away from the pride there is supposed to be in representing your country and considering Keith Andrews comments about the Scott Hogan situation it would be really interesting to find out what the proper Irish players who only ever had one country in mind think of this kind of ****e.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

markc91 wrote: »

Although he is not overly prolific, he is a physical striker who links up well with his midfielders.

Yes, because that's exactly what we need. Oh, wait a minute...

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,991 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

I wouldn't pay much attention to pundit arena and would wait for MON to come out with something about it.

I don't mind the granny rule, we are a small country with a small playing pool so gotta do everything and anything to stay competitive and if it means bringing in some players who qualify through their parents or grandparents that might improve our squad I'm all for it. Also until something is done about the standard of senior soccer here in Ireland then we'll have to just hope for the best that two or three younger players succeed over in England and pick up the odd granny rule player.

Ok, so out of all our "granny rule/plastic paddy players " in the past 30 years since Jack first took over, who do you wish never played for us or is it that it is only nowadays that non Irish born players fall into this bracket.

We live in a completely different media centralised world these days where websites and journalists twist everything in a new spin everyday with eyecatching headlines just to get clickbait response.

Back when Houghton et al were approached many of them also considered their options and chose Ireland in default of not breaking into Scottish/English squads.

But we weren't subjected to months and months of speculation by Balls.ie looking to fill the inches with silly updates every few hours on the likes of Scott Hogan's interest. Nor did we have internet forums debating these tings back then

I get the notion that most that are against the "chasing" of such players these days seem to think that Townsend, Houghton, Aldridge, Whelan, Coyne, Kilbane and Hughton wouldn't have jumped at the prospect of playing for their birth nation teams.

I am more than confident most of those above chose Ireland as a means of playing international football first and foremost over their actual undying patriotism to Irish soccer.
    But because they brought us great moments they are given a bye in these debates,

Houghton especially is a fine example of someone who longed and longed to play for Scotland but noone gives a sh1t about that because he was a legend on the pitch for us almost from day one and he clearly quickly grew to absolutely love the Irish team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Ok, so out of all our "granny rule/plastic paddy players " in the past 30 years since Jack first took over, who do you wish never played for us or is it that it is only nowadays that non Irish born players fall into this bracket.

We live in a completely different media centralised world these days where websites and journalists twist everything in a new spin everyday with eyecatching headlines just to get clickbait response.

Back when Houghton et al were approached many of them also considered their options and chose Ireland in default of not breaking into Scottish/English squads.

But we weren't subjected to months and months of speculation by Balls.ie looking to fill the inches with silly updates every few hours on the likes of Scott Hogan's interest. Nor did we have internet forums debating these tings back then

I get the notion that most that are against the "chasing" of such players these days seem to think that Townsend, Houghton, Aldridge, Whelan, Coyne, Kilbane and Hughton wouldn't have jumped at the prospect of playing for their birth nation teams.

I am more than confident most of those above chose Ireland as a means of playing international football first and foremost over their actual undying patriotism to Irish soccer.
    But because they brought us great moments they are given a bye in these debates,

Houghton especially is a fine example of someone who longed and longed to play for Scotland but noone gives a sh1t about that because he was a legend on the pitch for us almost from day one and he clearly quickly grew to absolutely love the Irish team.

Actually agree with all of that. The modern semi-hate towards anyone who is in with a chance of playing for Ireland declaring their interest is a bit bizarre. The media difference is a very good point and it makes a huge difference when comparing to years ago. You get the feeling a lot of the media outlets actually want people to turn against any one who isn't born in an Irish field with an Opel jersey on to parents by the name of Sean and Mairead. I'd love to see past Irish teams if we only had the players who only ever had 1 country in mind.

Kilbane rejected the chance to play for England at youth team level.So Ireland was his first choice.

If the others hadn't played for Ireland I wouldn't have minded, you can't change the past so there is no point scratching out what happened but we shouldn't really be going down that road anymore and personally I don't feel as strongly about those players as I would about Robbie Keane,Damien Duff,Shay Given,Paul McGrath etc legends who were brought up in Ireland and only had one country in mind when it came to paying at international level.

If you take away the patriotic element of international football it would just be another version of the club game and there should be very strict criteria involved in playing for a country and you shouldn't be allowed to change countries and should have to declare at a young age in my opinion.

For the good of the game in the country we really need to get away from this notion of chasing any players as it abdicates the FAI off the responsibility of developing our own players which is obviously not good for the game in Ireland.

Also Jack Charlton did get criticism for his use of the granny rule and I suspect that a lot of people in Ireland always had an issue with us chasing players it's just they didn't have the forum to express it in whereas with the internet we do now.

Hindsight is great and maybe in ten years time if Hogan does choose to play for us and bangs in some pivotal goals over a few years (if) ..... you or others will be saying the exact same thing for him as you do these players.

I doubt most would regret his aquisition or having to wait what has been only a couple of months for his decision if he proved a success.

And I don't see our youth development platform developing all that much in the near future. Martin O Neill's job is the present and people want results NOW. We are very lacking in the goalscoring forward position at present so if we can source down an Irish qualified striker I think it would be silly not to take him on.

Getting youth development sorted out for the future can still be lobbyed without excluding such possible acquisition's in the future.

sugarman wrote: »

Have to agree with a lot of that.

Kilbane tho is the exception, he turned down England numerous times throughout underage level and had always supported Ireland growing up with both his mam and dad being Irish.

I never knew that about Kilbane actually! Must do a read up on that. Quite interesting.

Didnt Kilbane go to an England underage training session in an Ireland jersey/tracksuit ?
    That storywas doing the rounds a few years back,dont know if its true but hope it is:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Left Back on the Bench

Whelan and Hughton were born here i thought and always wanted to play with Ireland no? Thought coyne was a Scot who wanted to play with Ireland also.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement