Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Galway's Ryan Manning made his debut for QPR today and was singled out for praise by Ian Holloway who thought he was 'outstanding'

Keeps his place today and Shodipo is on the bench.
    Always good to see our lads getting a chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

yabadabado wrote: »
    Keeps his place today and Shodipo is on the bench.
    Always good to see our lads getting a chance.

I know Ian Holloway's over the top remarks and praise can be taken with a pinch of salt a lot of the time but by the strength of them this time it would appear Manning is in his long term plans.............until he inevitably is fired!

Holloway is a ****ing clown and it was madness bringing him back but that club is a bit of a shambles.QPR is well set up to be a good premiership club but they make some awful decisions.
    Always a club I like to see going well but they need to sort themselves out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Conor Hourihane's winner for Barnsley against Nottingham Forest today.

https://twitter.com/TheFLZone/status/816008464816345089

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭eire4

I am not sure if you are being sarcastic there!! :D

No sarcasm at all. Genuine response.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/38497496

Samir Carruthers moves to Sheffield United.

Haven't heard much of him since he was touted as one of next bright hopes - how has he developed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/38497496

Samir Carruthers moves to Sheffield United.

Haven't heard much of him since he was touted as one of next bright hopes - how has he developed?

His claim to fame since leaving Villa is being barred from every racecourse in Britain for urinating into a pint glass and pouring it off a balcony.

Thats a good move for Carruthers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Thats a good move for Carruthers.

urinating into a pint glass ?!

• Advertisement

Yup thats what I meant :D

He could have been a complete animal and just pissed straight off the balcony !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭Guffy

https://www.google.ie/amp/www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/former-premier-league-star-urinates-7564102.amp?client=ms-android-samsung

Also came across a rugby league player who urinated into his own mouth.... the ****!!

Darren Randolph really is the man after cementing his place in West Ham team after being 3rd choice last season! He had a very good Christmas period also, conceding only 4 goals in 5 games, with 2 of those against United with a man down.

Really thought he was silly not to consider a way out last Summer but persistance/patience paying off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

He's a right good keeper with no real obvious flaw in his game that I can see.

Jayop wrote: »
    He's a right good keeper with no real obvious flaw in his game that I can see.

Ah he has made his good share of near post mistakes in his time. Hammers fans won't be short to tell you that!

I mean "wont be long to tell you that! "

My sentence above makes no sense !!

I've not watched a ton of West Ham games so I don't doubt you. He just seemed proper solid from what I've seen of him when I did watch them and for Ireland.

Jayop wrote: »
    I've not watched a ton of West Ham games so I don't doubt you. He just seemed proper solid from what I've seen of him when I did watch them and for Ireland.

No he has been very good for West Ham since he got back in but before that he got lots of criticism for goals scored at near post. Clearly has improved in that regard now

• Advertisement

Great to have a keeper playing regular EPL football again.Not sure if Randolph will have the West Ham spot long term but great while it lasts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

West ham had a ten million bid for scott hogan turned down.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    West ham had a ten million bid for scott hogan turned down.

Crazy money for someone that's done absolutely nothing in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Nice interview with Joey Lapira in the Indo today

Nice interview with Joey Lapira in the Indo today

Worst player to ever get a game for us ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Not to re-open this discussion as we went through a load of bad players recently, but you're surely right. There's been plenty of bad players over the years but this was a complete joke of a cap to give out.

• Advertisement

8-10 wrote: »
    Not to re-open this discussion as we went through a load of bad players recently, but you're surely right. There's been plenty of bad players over the years but this was a complete joke of a cap to give out.

Worst one I can remember .

His uncle worked for the FAI at the time ...

yabadabado wrote:

For sure. Claims he asked for a ticket to watch the game in the stand and was told he was in the squad then!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭ahlookit

Crazy money for someone that's done absolutely nothing in the game.

11-12 million seems to be the going rate for a goalscorer in the championshp.

Ross McCormack (twice), Jonathan Kodjia, Jordan Rhodes.

Its crazy money, but if you're Brentford those are the deals you're highlighting when West Ham or Watford come calling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

ahlookit wrote: »

Its crazy money, but if you're Brentford those are the deals you're highlighting when West Ham or Watford come calling.

Pity the league of Ireland cannot do the same.

What was the most expensive player to come from the league of Ireland?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Pity the league of Ireland cannot do the same.

What was the most expensive player to come from the league of Ireland?

Id take a guess that it's still O'Donovan's transfer to Sunderland .

Until we have a fully functioning league we won't see any big money transfers from it.That's not going to happen anytime soon.

• Advertisement

Id take a guess that it's still O'Donovan's transfer to Sunderland .

Until we have a fully functioning league we won't see any big money transfers from it.That's not going to happen anytime soon.

Aye - LOI clubs need players to be on longer than a 10 month contract to cash in on transfer fees. Clubs cant afford it at the moment, so its easy for English sides to pick the cream of the crop when they are out of contract every November/December

McCormack, Kodjia and Rhodes had all scored consistently in the Championship over a period of time. Hogans has 33 games ever at that level over 3 seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,991 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

McCormack, Kodjia and Rhodes had all scored consistently in the Championship over a period of time. Hogans has 33 games ever at that level over 3 seasons.

And Hogan has scored 21 goals in 33 appearances so has consistently scored when he's played. Which is a better record than Kodjia who scored 19 in 45 during his first season with Bristol.

Every team now wants to find the next Jamie Vardy so teams will splash the cash when a championship player is scoring well.

Jack Byrne leaving Blackburn - hopefully he'll get a loan move to someone who actually gives him a game now

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2017/0105/842796-jack-byrne-to-leave-blackburn-in-january/

Jack Byrne leaving Blackburn - hopefully he'll get a loan move to someone who actually gives him a game now

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2017/0105/842796-jack-byrne-to-leave-blackburn-in-january/
    Real pity. Seemed to be made the scape goat for a bad start and never got a look in again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,974 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

read on YBIG that a meeting between MON and Scott Hogan for Jan 18th has been called off according to an FAI scout from Wexford

not looking good

What now for the future of our forward line ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

PTH2009 wrote: »
    read on YBIG that a meeting between MON and Scott Hogan for Jan 18th has been called off according to an FAI scout from Wexford

not looking good

What now for the future of our forward line ???

If he doesn't want to play for us then he's no loss.

Id wait for something to come from MON or Scott Hogan themselves instead of jumping on some rumour from an anonymous poster on some forum that was supposedly heard from some FAI scout from Wexford.

• Advertisement

If he feels English and has dreams of playing for England then fair enough, you can't blame the lad for that. He does have quite a number of players between him and the No9 shirt for them though with more young English strikers coming though like Rashford.

So he's just a licensed scout and has nothing really to do with the FAI? Cause I doubt if he was that he'd be given information out like that publicly Twitter.

Either way I'd be waiting for something to come from MON or from Scott Hogans camp

Patww79 wrote: »

He probably did but maybe never thought it was a realistic prospect whereas now he may think there's a better chance for himself.

It would be different for me if he had been playing youth football with Ireland and then declared for England after getting a move to the big leagues. This lad hasn't had any affiliation with Ireland and he owes us nothing. If he wants to take his time to decide and MoN is prepared to give him that time then so be it.

Hogan was called up to our U 21s a few years back.He pulled out due to club game iirc.
    He doesn't even need to declare for us as I think all paper work was in order at the time.

What happened to their ability to consider 2 issues, this is beginning to sound like Grealish with all that "I need to sort out my contract" guff that dragged on for ages. Sorting out contracts, club games, needing advice from agents, transfer rumours...what will be dragged out next? "I can't think of my international loyalties right now as I'm concentrating on washing my hair and breathing"? If a fellow feels Irish, or English, or whatever, that's fine...it's the hiding behind other issues and stringing it out that's irritating.

What happened to their ability to consider 2 issues, this is beginning to sound like Grealish with all that "I need to sort out my contract" guff that dragged on for ages. Sorting out contracts, club games, needing advice from agents, transfer rumours...what will be dragged out next? "I can't think of my international loyalties right now as I'm concentrating on washing my hair and breathing"? If a fellow feels Irish, or English, or whatever, that's fine...it's the hiding behind other issues and stringing it out that's irritating.

Obviously they're only saying that because they can't be honest and say I want to hold out for a while to see if England come knocking because I really would prefer to play with them.

Again I don't really have a problem with that. I'm sure a few of our best players would have preferred to have played for the country of their birth but 'choose' Ireland because they didn't see the England call coming.

Give it 2 years when he's on the bench for Stoke or Palace in the lower end of the PL table and he'll suddenly become more Irish than a pint of Guinness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I don't understand how it's 'beginning to sound like Grealish etc'. It seems these days players get blamed or already have a negative opinion on them for doing absolutely nothing yet. He's pretty in demand right now and is likely to be one of the bigger transfers in England in this window, I don't see that hiding behind anything. Of the non-Ireland born players, very few Irish players in the current squad would immediately declare for Ireland if there was a possible opportunity for England imo, yet anyone who even twitches at signing up for us is lambasted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement