Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New single dad

Options
  • 30-07-2015 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭

Hi folks,
    I have recently taken custody of my two kids. They are 5 and 3.
    My issue is I work night shift. I have the kids all day and head to work around 5 and finish up at 3 am. Thing is its very hard to get a child minder for these hours and secondly the prices are extortion lol. For me to get a child minder for 5 nights is 250 to 300 a week. That's pretty much my wages gone.
    I have been looking at other options and at the moment the best one I have come across is just to give up work and be a stay at home dad.

What's people's opinion on this ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

I am sorry things didn't work out with your wife :-(

Could you look into an au pair who studies during the day and can sleep in your house so isn't up until 3am

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Egan2012

bp wrote: »
    I am sorry things didn't work out with your wife :-(

Could you look into an au pair who studies during the day and can sleep in your house
    I have done this. I have gone through a few sites and it seems that aup airs are willing to be here for a couple of months then move on. It's crazy to think that I would be financial better off not working and minding my kids. And I get to spend proper time with the kids

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

I think you need to do more research on the au pair route. Its not true that they all move on after a few months.
    either that or seek a job with regular hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

Ps there is nothing wrong with being a stay at home parent. I am!

I really hopes it works out for you after all you and your family have been through

bp wrote: »
    Ps there is nothing wrong with being a stay at home parent. I am!

I really hopes it works out for you after all you and your family have been through
    I know yeah. Ah sure that's life. I remember some of your posts to me before thank you

• Advertisement

MouseTail wrote: »
    I think you need to do more research on the au pair route. Its not true that they all move on after a few months.
    either that or seek a job with regular hours.
    Any of them that I have spoken to online have said to Me it will be a maxim stay of 3 or 6 months. It's not guaranteed that they will be there in 4 or 5 months down the line. Then I will have to do a search again. I need something stable and a proper routine fir the kids

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Daytime childcare for two children would cost you around 300 euro per week (8am to 6pm) so if you have an offer of 250 euro that is good value. Plus the kids get the benefit of seeing you during the day. The main disadvantage for you working nights is that you will still be paying full childcare during school times. Hope you find a soliton.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

*solution

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭millie_moo

I'm recently a stay at home parent and ended up better off money wise! Seems crazy really. But hey I get to be at home and look after my kids. Worth looking into u, takes pressure off too as when kids are sick, off school, school meetings ect it's no problem now to attend where it was a lot of hassle before.
    Hope it works out for u

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Have you transferred child benefit to yourself?
    Single parent tax credits?
    Family Income Support?

Some childminders are happy to do over nights and in a may they can be easier as the kids are asleep but getting them up and out can be hard!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Egan2012 wrote: »
    Any of them that I have spoken to online have said to Me it will be a maxim stay of 3 or 6 months. It's not guaranteed that they will be there in 4 or 5 months down the line. Then I will have to do a search again. I need something stable and a proper routine fir the kids

Where are you looking? Our au pair is for two years.

You either need a live in nanny, or an aur pair.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

There's nothing wrong with being a stay at home parent but it's not for everyine. The op clearly wants to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Gadfly Girl

While it may be a little unhelpful of me to point this out the high cost of childcare has been a major factor keeping single parent families in a poverty trap for many years now. Do what you can to stay in employment €250 sounds like a good offer.

Advertisement