Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proposed Boards Rule Changes..Decision?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Spongey1975

eagle eye wrote: »
    Sorry that was the guy who only joined up this year. The guy who has never been a member is Agent J

This poll was voted on last year. If you are allowing votes from this year then we sure as hell are allowing votes to be changed.

That is two votes for the change to flex that should not be counted.

Again this player is new and in Division 7 (team name is Rugby Forever)

I checked all the voters. All of them except for one was either a player this year or last year. That player was robfullam and he voted for the current system so if we take his vote out it is 37-35 in favour of flex

We have guys who will leave if we change the votes and guys who will leave if we dont change the vote. No win situation. I know a few of us wish we hadn't voted for the flex (myself included) but the votes were cast, Flex won, accept it and enjoy the season

If anyone is out please send me a PM so that i can try and find a replacement as quickly as possible

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Agent J wasn't in the leagues last year he shouldn't have a vote that's a load of sh1te . Rob Fullam was in last year in Div 7 as I understand it.

Which makes it 36-36.

As I said if flex is in count me out,

Why should new players who are playing this year not be entitled to a vote? They have every right to a say in these boards leagues as you and me. The poll was left open until august 29, not once was it said that only last years players were entitled to vote. There were 3 new players that all voted for the flex.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Why should new players who are playing this year not be entitled to a vote? They have every right to a say in these boards leagues as you and me. The poll was left open until august 29, not once was it said that only last years players were entitled to vote. There were 3 new players that all voted for the flex.

well 1 they haven't experienced the league so don't have a reasonable basis to compare the options. They also haven't earned the right to have a say in the leagues as have played no part in them.

Oh and most importantly to prevent fudging polls. What would have stopped me creating 4 or 5 phantom boards accounts, "joining" the boards league and voting the way I wanted to ?

Nothing that's what. Its a joke to allow votes from somebody who hasn't been part of the league.

P.S I don't think im the only person even if it wasn't implicitly said that expected that votes would be granted to those that were part of the league only.

Anyway Im not getting into a long argument on it. Ive said my piece and made my stance be known.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

I flex wins out, I'll stay in this year, but I can honestly see it ruining the league.

I agree that allowing people who weren't playing last season or aren't playing this season to have a vote isn't right.
    If you haven't played in a 16 team league before or wont be playing it this year why should you get a vote against people who have been participating in the league for years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,487 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Look you can't have it both ways. If you are allowing people to vote who were not in the league last year than those who want to change their vote have to be allowed to do so.

I have been a member of this league since 2008, surely that stands for something? I posted the below in December last year, Agent J had not even looked to be in the league system at that stage.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=93359300&postcount=8

Personally I don't think he should be allowed vote anyways as in my book he is not a member of the league system until after he spends a year in the league. We have had loads of people join up to this league over the years who just do it on a whim and then don't bother with it again. Those people should never be allowed to have a vote and I don't think you should get a vote until you have proven yourself over a full season.

Fact of the matter is that as it stands the real situation is that more people want the positions to stay the same than want it changed. Wasn't that the whole idea of having a vote, to let the majority decide? Let's stick with fairness now then.

JCTO wrote: »
    I am not pointing you anywhere. Why would we leave it open right up until the start of the new season? That makes no sense. The rule change was a proposed change for this coming season and it would be daft to exclude new members planning to play in the up and coming season. It is clear you are just looking for a way out of your vote.

You had a whole year for this coming season to vote. You decided to vote early and now all of a sudden you and others change your vote knowing it affects this coming season. Why not hold off voting until you were sure that was the option you wanted.
    I looked to change my vote a long time ago, just two days after the poll went up.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=93359300&postcount=8

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

why would a flex 'ruin' the league? Surely you adapt, its a level playing field pre draft, and you choose on the back of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Guffy

I want the current system to win but just to point out even if Agent J's vote is not allowed the new system still wins 36-35 after the non player's vote is removed

gufc21 wrote: »
    I want the current system to win but just to point out even if Agent J's vote is not allowed the new system still wins 36-35 after the non player's vote is removed
    There is nobody else bar Agent J who was not in the league last year as far as I'm aware.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Guffy

There is nobody else bar Agent J who was not in the league last year as far as I'm aware.

Spongey has said there is one vote for current system by a user who wasn't in it last year or joining this year.

Robfullam

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Alfred Borden was never in the league as far as I know. He does post on the AF forum but has never been a member of the Boards AF fantasy as far as I'm aware.

I was in the league last year ( division 9). I have since changed my boards name.

gufc21 wrote: »
    Spongey has said there is one vote for current system by a user who wasn't in it last year or joining this year.

Robfullam
    And that was corrected by D3PO who confirmed he was in the league last year.

And that was corrected by D3PO who confirmed he was in the league last year.

I dont have him in my list of players from last year. Unless he was a different boards username in our league

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

the poll is closed now?

And Flex passed?

why would a flex 'ruin' the league? Surely you adapt, its a level playing field pre draft, and you choose on the back of that.
    A flex option will mean that at some stage there will be teams without two running backs. It just means that injuries/luck plays a huge part.

My opinion on it is that it is absolutely ridiculous to have a flex in 16 team leagues. It's something that makes 10/12 team leagues interesting.

I dont have him in my list of players from last year. Unless he was a different boards username in our league
    Well it's D3P0 that you need to talk to about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

My opinion on this...stick with the vote for flex, revote next year (then both systems will have been tried). I don't think it'll be as much a problem as people are making out.

I do agree for future votes, voters should be restricted to people who played the league at least one year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

Just fwiw this from Dec last year
    CJC86 wrote: »
    Ah jaysus, can I change my vote? I really thought that it was a run-off between the current system and WR/TE when I voted, so I'm one of the two vote in no-man's land.
    I think the mods can change it, but if not we will take it into account when tallying up the votes. What's your new vote, current system or Flex?
    CJC86 wrote: »
    Oh, thought I'd mentioned that. Current system all the way. I honestly can't believe how many people have voted for the Flex, it will completely ruin the RB position.
    And I'm the other one on WR/TE and I also want to change my vote to keeping things as they are.
    Sweet. Really haven't a clue if mods/admins can change votes but sure as I said, I'm sure we can tally up at the end. We'll have to double check all the polls anyway to make sure we only count people who are actually involved in the leagues here. Don't know why anyone else would vote if they're not involved but just to be certain!
    TO. wrote: »
    Im sure no one would object if you changed your vote and we just note your change at the end. Obviously the poll wont reflect the change but Im sure most in here would have no problems with others doing the same long before the poll closes.
    Why would we have to redo the polls? confused.png

There's only 2 people who haven't picked one of the majority options. If they want to change their vote there shouldn't be a problem with that. Maybe they have a preference, and if it looks like their first choice hasn't a chance of winning then I don't see the issue with them changing their vote to their second preference.
    TO. wrote: »
    Realistically we can run these polls all the way to July and hope we get every members vote. And anyone changing their vote we simply take note to reflect that change once adding up the numbers would probably be best. Doing a re-vote would be messy at this point considering 60+ have voted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Just my 2 cents, but I am unbelievably disappointed we are going with flex.

Its a 16 man league! RBs are scarce (anyway) and WRs are not.

3WRs keeps it nice and uniform.

The best thing about the league was that it had a generic, no advantages structure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 929 ✭✭✭JCTO

Here is a suggestion lets scrap the whole voting and stick to the original settings and lets get a mod to put in place rules for future votes which would then make sure rules are put in making it clear if someone can change their vote.

We are seriously running out of time to be debating this whole thing. Either we roll with the changes or we scrap them and put rules in place and open voting again and make clear the rules to voting.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭radharc

Why are people insisting Eagle Eye not be allowed change his vote? He posted in December saying he would like to change! I would understand if he only outlined this after the results were known but he has made his position completely clear.

It's not a vote for the next pope, surely it is clear that the majority of people who voted would prefer no flex, can we not just use some common sense.

radharc wrote: »
    Why are people insisting Eagle Eye not be allowed change his vote? He posted in December saying he would like to change! I would understand if he only outlined this after the results were known but he has made his position completely clear.

Nobody is insisting anything merely giving their opinion there is a difference between the two. But should it matter when you wanted to change your vote? The results of these polls are open as soon as you vote. Allowing people to change their vote defeats the purpose of voting in the first place.
    It's not a vote for the next pope, surely it is clear that the majority of people who voted would prefer no flex, can we not just use some common sense.

No one said it was but again what is the point voting if people are going to flip flop on their vote. Also how can you say the clear majority? IT really isn't clear at all. There is 1 vote in it with some wanting to change their votes and some who would ideally like to change but respect the voting system and honoring their original vote.

At this point abolishing this vote and setting rules in place going forward for all future polls is the way to go that way a mod can put them in the charter and clearly outline the rules of these votes. It definitely needs rules with transparency at this point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

JCTO wrote: »
    At this point abolishing this vote and setting rules in place going forward for all future polls is the way to go that way a mod can put them in the charter and clearly outline the rules of these votes. It definitely needs rules with transparency at this point.

I'd agree to this, but do we need to vote on it :)
    I'll be honest, I think we had the rules close to perfect as they were, we'll be guaranteed another good year of fantasy football rolling with the known.

Maybe every year we vote on a single rule change or maybe two. It was a lot to have 5 or 6 polls going all at once - each outcome depending on what happened in the other poll.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

We had several polls and people voted. Lots of people voted. Some people later regretted their votes (as often happens in the real world too). There is a small and vocal minority who are unhappy with one particular poll result. This is not a good reason to throw out polls and overturn votes.

After a long, long offseason I am excited to get back to football and fantasy. If, and it's a big if, a change that was voted on and passed has a negative effect on the league I would be quite happy to vote on a proposed change to remedy such at the end of the season. I don't doubt I'd still have a hell of a lot of fun this season. Already thinking about tweaked draft strategies and dreaming of crazy bound to backfire blockbuster trades, and of a bit of good auld fashioned boards banter. Can't wait to get started! :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I don't see the issue with people changing their votes to be honest, I mean what difference does it make other than some point of principle I see no reason why it shouldn't be allowed.

Secondly it seems obvious to me that the majority of people playing the league this year would like 3 WR setup.

I especially think people who voted for one TE/WR flex should be allowed reassign their vote as that option has essentially been eliminated.

If we go ahead with the flex I can see us being back with another vote next offseason. No harm in that I guess.

I also don't think people threatening to leave if they don't get their way is particularly helpful. Contribute to the debate by all means but those threats don't help anyone.

Finally I don't think it should make that much difference (maybe I'm being naive) but I would have thought most would use WR as their flex in any case?

This will happen every year. My last piece on this. So at what point do you allow those chnage their vote. Is there a cut off or do we allow everyone do it so come deadline a majority gets swayed in the opposite direction at that last hour. Sure some posted months ago but what happens if I post the day of the poll closing and say the same. Do I get my way also potentially changing the outcome?

Have said enough at this point and bowing out of these discussions. If people feel we should change votes fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

Have to agree with anyone else that is disappointed with the flex option that includes RB's. They are scarce enough as it is in a 16 team league. It was always interesting trying to find the balance between picking a RB and WR depending on your draft position. Now there will probably be teams that won't even have anything more than 1 bottom tier RB. There's always value in the WR position. Not in the RB one though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Honestly I voted flex because two years running I had either 3 great RBs or 2 great TEs and people offering crappy trades. C'est la vie, but I don't think flex ruins anything. Might do, but then we can look at it again. I understand the reasoning behind keeping it the same and I'm overall somewhat ambivalent but the vote is what it is and let's give a shot and see what happens.

I don't entirely understand what process people think would be appropriate for changing the rules. There was a vote, left open for a long time so everyone in the league could participate. I'm curious as to why the hell so many people want to change their votes. Maybe put some more thought into it before the next one. But this is the only fair way to approach it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I don't entirely understand what process people think would be appropriate for changing the rules. There was a vote, left open for a long time so everyone in the league could participate. I'm curious as to why the hell so many people want to change their votes. Maybe put some more thought into it before the next one. But this is the only fair way to approach it.

Personally, I voted for a change because I had a bad season with WR's last year which prompted me to vote flex. I've since realised that the impact of Flex on RB availability will be much worse and have changed my mind on the matter.

As for voting, would it be better if we ran polls on nfl.com per division towards the end of the season and have GM's post the results per div so we can tally up across the actual active players?

Advertisement