Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proposed Boards Rule Changes..Decision?

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

eagle eye wrote: »
    A flex option will mean that at some stage there will be teams without two running backs. It just means that injuries/luck plays a huge part.

My opinion on it is that it is absolutely ridiculous to have a flex in 16 team leagues. It's something that makes 10/12 team leagues interesting.

Im not so sure that this is as pronounced a problem as it may have been last few years. This year, we have Antonio Brown at an ADP of 01.05 with six WR's probably selected in the first round of a 16 man draft.

Throwing league and RB's are not an automatic selection every time for the a flex any more.

To say its 'absolutely ridiculous' is way overboard, imho.

As a numbers guy, I would say its pretty 50/50 on whether it will materially affect the league or not. People are not stepping back and looking at the stats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,896 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

If we go with what we currently have I'll set up a flex league for here and get 16 people in it and see how it goes. Everybody can give a report after the season is over on how it went.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

Im not so sure that this is as pronounced a problem as it may have been last few years. This year, we have Antonio Brown at an ADP of 01.05 with six WR's probably selected in the first round of a 16 man draft.

Throwing league and RB's are not an automatic selection every time for the a flex any more.

To say its 'absolutely ridiculous' is way overboard, imho.

As a numbers guy, I would say its pretty 50/50 on whether it will materially affect the league or not. People are not stepping back and looking at the stats.

In a flex league i'd probably be more inclined to go RB on my first 2 picks if i had an early pick. I'm just basing that on past leagues i've been in but they would have been no more than 12 players. If the trend of taking RB's first was set early that means those with later picks will probably reach for a RB ahead of a WR as the WR pool will be still large while the starting RB's are shrinking.

Obviously you take the best player on the board. So if you go RB and then WR and you have pick 12 for example. Your 3rd pick would be 44. There may not be a starting RB on the board by that stage as people potentially start to add a RB for the flex position knowing they will be valuable. Also autopicks that take the highest available player could now draft RB's for their first 3 picks.

I think flex in a 16 team league increases the chances of drafting a better team with low draft position. If in position 2 you will have 3 picks within 34 picks. Sets you up good to get a RB1, good RB2 and a WR1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 929 ✭✭✭JCTO

So have we come to a decision on what happens next considering all the drafts are over the next 7 days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

JCTO wrote: »
    So have we come to a decision on what happens next considering all the drafts are over the next 7 days

I've only been playing a year so obviously don't want to be stepping on anyone's toes, but this really needs to be sorted ASAP as it's having a big impact on being able to put together any sort of draft strategy.

My own opinion is that I'd stick with what we had last year now as things have got so messy. Make it very clear that the rule changes will be voted on again next year, give specific opening and closing dates for the polls, and then follow through on results of said poll prior to the 2016/2017 season starting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭BigBadRob83

Don't care at this stage what gets picked, just want clarity

People wanting to change their votes doesn't make any sense to me, if you made a decision and cast your vote, stick to it and don't complain. Personally I think once a vote is cast a poll is closed, then that's it and we live with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

I'd prefer a non flex draft. All my drafts this year are non flex. But if the leagues here are flex it would be best for us to know for definite as early as possible to adapt strategy.

Paully D wrote: »
    I've only been playing a year so obviously don't want to be stepping on anyone's toes, but this really needs to be sorted ASAP as it's having a big impact on being able to put together any sort of draft strategy.

Totally agree. Leaving very little wiggle room to put together any plans for the draft.
    My own opinion is that I'd stick with what we had last year now as things have got so messy. Make it very clear that the rule changes will be voted on again next year, give specific opening and closing dates for the polls, and then follow through on results of said poll prior to the 2016/2017 season starting.

Again agree. Made the suggestion earlier in the thread and I feel at this point for this rule 86 it and go again for next season but this time with defined rules in place for these polls which will cover who can vote and the changing of minds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Spongey1975

OK for the best interests of the league i think its best if we keep the current roster setup (no flex) and put in proper rules for future polls so that we dont get this happening again.

Can All GMs that has switched their league transfer the settings back to non flex. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

The hysteria about the flex position on here has really been over the top. The idea that adding a flex spot is going to ruin these leagues has been put about for the last eight months, since we first started discussing this, without any evidence whatsoever.

I don't have a strong opinion on the flex spot, but this mess, and all of the changing of votes, has not been helped by all of this scaremongering. Putting the "fantasy" into fantasy football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

Vocal, hysterical minority gets voted on decision overturned. Disappointing.

Tristram wrote: »
    Vocal, hysterical minority gets voted on decision overturned. Disappointing.

Agreed. But the good to come out of it at least we can put rules in to stop stuff like this happening again ensuring those who vote can't change and also defining who can and can't vote.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

So we are going with 3WR setup as before?

Assume we are still going with the custom schedules?

adrian522 wrote: »
    So we are going with 3WR setup as before?

Assume we are still going with the custom schedules?

Yes and Yes.

I have put this in the Charter update thread as a proposal:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=96905846&postcount=135
    I would like to propose the following to the Charter:

Rule Changes and Voting

- Rules are proposed at the start of the a new season to come into affect the following season leaving a full year to vote on the rule change. So example : Propose a Rule change from June - August 2015 and then in September 2015 the voting poll gets put into place and then closes July 31st 2016. (Only an example)

- Once you cast your vote there is no changing the vote. You have practically a year to make a decision on your vote.

- All current members can vote. This includes any new member who joins and votes before the closing date of said poll. If anyone has not come back to the league and confirmed their re-entry and are removed from the leagues their vote is removed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,308 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Man am I glad I totally missed this thread!

Just a quick one in case I missed anything... Has anything changed from last year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

I have put this in the Charter update thread as a proposal:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=96905846&postcount=135

I like that its in the charter but I do still have issue with the new player piece of the verbiage.

as I mentioned elsewhere nothing to stop somebody creating 5 " the league and getting 5 - 6 extra votes.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Just the way the schedule works, more division games essentially.

D3PO wrote:
    I like that its in the charter but I do still have issue with the new player piece of the verbiage.

D3PO wrote:
    as I mentioned elsewhere nothing to stop somebody creating 5 " the league and getting 5 - 6 extra votes.

I just put it in as a proposal for discussion but why shouldn't new people joining get a vote if they are playing in that coming season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

I just put it in as a proposal for discussion but why shouldn't new people joining get a vote if they are playing in that coming season?

because its open to abuse in the event of a tight vote.

picture this flex vote next year its 20 votes each. I want non flex to win so over the period of a few days I create a few new boards accounts. Post that I want to join div 8 with these accounts at random times and then vote using these accounts for non flex ensuring the vote wins.

yes in theory new players should get to vote but as it cannot be policed they would need to earn it.

Now of course its still open to abuse somebody could actually create diff accounts and play in the league to look legit but its far more effort than its worth Id argue and its far less likely to be abused as a vote qualification method.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

You should have had to play for at least 1 season and be re-joining the next year in order to be eligible to vote IMO.

D3PO wrote:
    because its open to abuse in the event of a tight vote.

D3PO wrote:
    picture this flex vote next year its 20 votes each. I want non flex to win so over the period of a few days I create a few new boards accounts. Post that I want to join div 8 with these accounts at random times and then vote using these accounts for non flex ensuring the vote wins.

D3PO wrote:
    yes in theory new players should get to vote but as it cannot be policed they would need to earn it.

D3PO wrote:
    Now of course its still open to abuse somebody could actually create diff accounts and play in the league to look legit but its far more effort than its worth Id argue and its far less likely to be abused as a vote qualification method.

I see what you mean I never thought about it that way. One way could be deciding on how long their account has been open on boards or as Pauly said setting a rule like saying you must play 1 season already which I think you said originally also

Advertisement