Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy radio show thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,050 ✭✭✭✭elperello

More Music wrote: »
    Well if it's a tribute I don't think the drugs part of his life will feature significantly.

A few years ago I was at the funeral mass of a sound local lad who worked as a butcher up to about 10 months before he died. Drink took over over his life and caused all sorts of problems, he jacked in the job.

There wasn't one mention of his drink habit during the eulogy/tribute at the mass.

Don't think it's generally done to go into too much detail of the bad part of a persons life during a tribute/celebration.

People from all walks of life struggle with addiction, broadcasters aren't any different. Yes, he did contribute to the wealth of criminals and he was part of the problem, but he was also a victim of it. It doesn't matter if you are in plush city centre apartment or a dark, wet alley.

There's proably a bit of "he made plenty of money for 3 hours on the radio, good enough for him" going about the place.

As you describe above is pretty much par for the course as people deal with the fact that we all have feet of clay.

The usual thing is if you can't say something good about the deceased say nothing.

The problem with the "celebrity culture" is that we think they are eternally accountable for all their failings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,154 ✭✭✭mistersifter

i dont think anyone was expecting the priest at Gerry's funeral to start having a pop at the fella over refusing to take pay cut from his publicly-funded 600k salary so he could pay drug dealers.

However!! having tributes to "the life and soul of the party" while refusing to explore his problems a decade after his death shouldnt be par for the course.

Obviously as More Music said, broadcasters are no different to other people in the problems they experience. But clearly they are treated differently by the RTE when they abuse drugs.

This article sums up Tubridy and co:

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/no-point-being-coy-about-celebrity-cocaine-debate-1.687619

The article is a well written and honest assessment of the prevalent culture surrounding Gerry’s death (and sadly many many other deaths). Whilst I don’t think it’s right to define someone solely by their addiction or even their death from it, it is part of that person’s life. To not talk about it, appropriately and thoughtfully, is IMO disrespectful in itself. To pretend it never happened, and shouldn’t be ventilated, is simply puerile. It’s burying your head in the sand.

The fact that the article remains topical shows, as usual, nothing has changed. What a waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

The thing !!!!

It's killed over 1200 people in Ireland you insensitive twat.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Plugging that programme like fuk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

The thing !!!!

It's killed over 1200 people in Ireland you insensitive twat.

He says he won't give it the satisfaction of calling it by its name. Big child.

Huge plug for Ordinary people and liveline.
    "RTE are showing it week by week. Anybody getting it on BBC player is being naughty".

Talking to an 11 year old girl like she's 2.

"Your a good egg".

• Registered Users Posts: 72,658 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Urgh...I don’t need this sanctimonious preaching so early in the morning.

And this Bono chap isn’t much better.

:cool:

Two preachers with fake American accents.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Why is Bono crushing a can of club orange every time he talks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I listened up until the point Tubs played a Beatles record for Bono then (metaphorically) threw my radio out of my fourth floor office window as the sound of one man performing fellatio on another was a bit too much at this hour of the morning. Bryan Tubridy is an appallling interviewer, it was like listening to a teenage girl interviewing Justin Bieber or whoever teenage girls like these days.
    Beatles - check
    Books - check
    Lists - check
    Clinton - check
    Barry Obama - check
    Trump - check, and swiftly dodged too by Mr. Bono
    Humblebragging - on both sides - check
    Tax avoidance - check, ok, maybe that topic wasn't discussed!

No mention that the €10m was tax deductible of course. It's not that I'm ungrateful for the donation, but the tax affairs of the company that is U2 and indeed Mr. Tubridy's Trocity (missing an "A" it seems) deserve deeper scrutiny and publicity.

Sean o Rourke's " last day at school".

• Registered Users Posts: 33,637 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

sligojoek wrote: »
    Sean o Rourke's " last day at school".

Did Tubs say that?

NIMAN wrote: »
    Did Tubs say that?

More than once.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

I listened up until the point Tubs played a Beatles record for Bono then (metaphorically) threw my radio out of my fourth floor office window as the sound of one man performing fellatio on another was a bit too much at this hour of the morning. Bryan Tubridy is an appallling interviewer, it was like listening to a teenage girl interviewing Justin Bieber or whoever teenage girls like these days.
    Beatles - check
    Books - check
    Lists - check
    Clinton - check
    Barry Obama - check
    Trump - check, and swiftly dodged too by Mr. Bono
    Humbragging - on both sides - check
    Tax avoidance - check, ok, maybe that topic wasn't discussed!

No mention that the €10m was tax deductible of course. It's not that I'm ungrateful for the donation, but the tax affairs of the company that is U2 and indeed Mr. Tubridy's Trocity (missing an "A" it seems) deserve deeper scrutiny and publicity.

I would LOVE if I could pick and choose what causes my taxes go to support and get loads of praise then when announcing it. (Rte would not do well out of this situation)

More than once.

Sweet Lord.

Time the man grew up and stop behaving like he's a teenager at school.

But then again he probably sees his life at rte like being at school, except it pays half a mill per year of course.

He needs to stop acting the maggot .

Sweet Lord.

Time the man grew up and stop behaving like he's a teenager at school.

But then again he probably sees his life at rte like being at school, except it pays half a mill per year of course.

He needs to stop acting the maggot .

Actually, i feel he behaves more like a seven year old; breathless, hyper, dancing on the spot, clamouring for attention from his pals, messing, nearly wetting their pants with excitement.

Sorry for being unfair to many seven year olds, by the way

Actually, i feel he behaves more like a seven year old; breathless, hyper, dancing on the spot, clamouring for attention from his pals, messing, nearly wetting their pants with excitement.

Sorry for being unfair to many seven year olds, by the way

You should listen back to the Bono interview. He was like a early teenager. It was embarrassing.

You should listen back to the Bono interview. He was like a early teenager. It was embarrassing.

I’ve given up listening and though, although you make a tempting suggestion, I don’t want to end up with mental health issues and start to sound like a LC student or, worse still, one of their mums....

So I’ll sit that one out, thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,050 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I thought today's show was a cut above average.

The interview with Bono was interesting and then Ryan went to a quiz for an eight year old.

You wouldn't get the likes of that on many stations anywhere.

Front man of a mega successful rock group with some interesting things to say after all the years then a kid being a kid.

The sort of show that makes radio really shine.

• Advertisement

elperello wrote: »
    I thought today's show was a cut above average.

The interview with Bono was interesting and then Ryan went to a quiz for an eight year old.

You wouldn't get the likes of that on many stations anywhere.

Front man of a mega successful rock group with some interesting things to say after all the years then a kid being a kid.

The sort of show that makes radio really shine.

I’d hate to see your baseline for average if you thought that was above it. The interview with Bono was embarrassing.

Giving his age away "ha ha ha ha ha" cos he knows who Phil Collins is.

• Registered Users Posts: 72,658 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Gloria Estefan talking about how kind social media is!

Ryan won’t like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Gloria Estefan talking about how kind social media is!

Ryan won’t like that!

Bit weird how obsessed your man is with Gloria. And she calls him her lucky charm after the leprechaun cereal..:-)))))

One thing that always amused me about Mr. Collins was when"MTV Cribs" was on in the late 90s-ealy 00's was when they'd go to the Gangsta Rapper's (the likes of Ice T, Ice Cube, Dr. Dre etc.) houses and they'd be showing their record collections they'd always showcase their Phil Collins albums, esp. Face Value (the one with In The Air Tonight). So in the UK he was considered mainstream pop, yet in the US was cool as f*ck - possibly due to the fact that a lot of his music was used in Miami Vice, and that he was British (in the way some Yanks think anything British is sophisticated) etc. He was even in Miami Vice ffs!

Was Phil's music sampled a lot perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

I am a bit unclear as to what the 'gas' persona is regarding his age. It was initially that he was an old before his time 'young fogey' type character but as he has gotten older it now seems to be more and more little prince / toyman / 'sure ryan is the biggest chisler on the toyshow' / messer type character. This weird regression only reminds me of Benjamin Button tbh

They've some kind of weird fetish about ages in RTE for years. Mike Murphy and Gaybo used to be at it as well.

They've some kind of weird fetish about ages in RTE for years. Mike Murphy and Gaybo used to be at it as well.

"Grow up ffs man, you're 46"

• Advertisement

"Grow up ffs man, you're 46"

I wish.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement