Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy radio show thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

More Music wrote: »
    Well that's easy to quantify.

Of your 35,806 posts, what percentage relate to Duffy et al? 80% maybe? Higher?

Of my 789 posts, what percentage relate to you? 0.3% maybe?

It's almost like a quiz show with 'more music'.

Its reminding me of that really crap RTE show years ago,featuring Z list RTE canteen stars.

The Lyrics Board I think it was called.

Dreadful muck.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

No idea. But could be, if it's not blocked at the firewall at this stage.

It rubs the lotion on its skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

It's a thin line between obsession and a passing interest.

Fully agree and to illustrate I can differentiate the terms by putting them in a sentence "rte are OBSESSED with gouging the public and the state as much a possible and have bearly a PASSING INTEREST in providing a quality service for all that money.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭More Music

I’m sorry that my post was too difficult for you to decipher, despite my putting “YOUR” and “ME” in caps for you. Not me and Mr. Duffy.

No I understood it alright, so to speak.

You think I'm obsessed with you. I'm pointing out what obsession looks like.

Uncharted wrote: »
    It's almost like a quiz show with 'more music'.

Its reminding me of that really crap RTE show years ago,featuring Z list RTE canteen stars.

The Lyrics Board I think it was called.

Dreadful muck.

That brings back some memories. The "jazzy" waistcoats. It was ****e alright.

• Advertisement

MOD

Anybody is entitled to have and express any opinions about radio show content, production, presentation style, and there is no posting limit. There is no limit to the interest a person may have in a subject, everybody to their own. But I give cards when things begin to get uncivil between the posters, and indeed when below the belt regarding presenters.

I would encourage anybody who has a genuine opinion (other than about fellow posters) to post here, their praise, indifference, criticism, own reflections on show content, but baiting-criticism of other posters will not be tolerated.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

I spent the weekend with my mother. The first time in 11 weeks. We talked about lots of things, but she mentioned loving how genuine and decent Tubridy is on his radio show, and how she loved the last episode of the LLS when he had Daniel O'Donnell and Majela on. That sort of thing actually means something to older people. I sometimes think they didn't know what cynicism meant.

His show on the radio is a tonic to be honest. Not a hint of outrage about it. Long may it last.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Well I was happy today until I heard that long carers harrowing story. Talk about a buzz kill!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Yup, you showed me what obsession is like by examining my post history - I assume without a hint of irony or self-awareness?

For the millionth time, I'm not "obsessed" with Duffy, Tubs, or any of the other overpaid RTE talent I comment on. I do however feel that it is worth highlighting the gross desparity between said individual's "talent", output, and compensation - points that I as a tax and licence fee payer am entitled (a favourite word of Mr. Duffy's) to make; and points that in my opinion are sinfully ignored by the wider media and not as well known as they should be by the ordinary man in the street. If I choose to use boards as my platform to highlight these points that is my business.

And that's before we talk about their relentless self-promotion, bias, agendas etc.

This morning we had Tubs comment about 4 day working weeks and work life balance and how important this was - coming from a man who works at best 10-15 hours a week (I'll allow time for prep. which there is precious little evidence of btw) and who takes 10-12 weeks off a year it's a little out of touch so to speak as they say - and I'm displaying kindness of my own there.

Well I was happy today until I heard that long carers harrowing story. Talk about a buzz kill!

Death Becomes Her Him.

• Advertisement

Yup, you showed me what obsession is like by examining my post history - I assume without a hint of irony or self-awareness?

Yeah, I went through your 36,000 posts to get an accurate percentage.

Here's how I did it.....

The user name is beside every post a user makes. Under their user name is the total number posts they have made. I just estimated conservatively that 80% of your posts are about Duffy and Tubs.

It took 5 seconds, so to speak.

I spent the weekend with my mother. The first time in 11 weeks. We talked about lots of things, but she mentioned loving how genuine and decent Tubridy is on his radio show, and how she loved the last episode of the LLS when he had Daniel O'Donnell and Majela on. That sort of thing actually means something to older people. I sometimes think they didn't know what cynicism meant.

His show on the radio is a tonic to be honest. Not a hint of outrage about it. Long may it last.

Surprised you have been "outed" as an RTE employee.

Yeah, I went through your 36,000 posts to get an accurate percentage.

Here's how I did it.....

The user name is beside every post a user makes. Under their user name is the total number posts they have made. I just estimated conservatively that 80% of your posts are about Duffy and Tubs.

It took 5 seconds, so to speak.

Daniel & Majella are one of Ireland’s genuine star double-acts. She is a very open person, always like to see them together.

Surprised you have been "outed" as an RTE employee.

Tbh, I think it’s more a matter of self-outing at times, one prime example being putting one’s name on a post. (Or putting somebody else’s name on a post to deliberately give an impression of it being their post).

MOD

May I say, IF It is the case that people here know each other personally outside this forum, as a moderator I would ask you respectfully not to drag negative interactions here as continuation of bad relations. In places things seem to be getting quite personal, and I aim to keep personal tit for tat slagging out of the radio forum whenever I see it.

Tbh, I think it’s more a matter of self-outing at times, one prime example being putting one’s name on a post. (Or putting somebody else’s name on a post to deliberately give an impression of it being their post).

Yeah, that was after a PM was sent to me addressed as Aonghus.

MOD

May I say, IF It is the case that people here know each other personally outside this forum, as a moderator I would ask you respectfully not to drag negative interactions here as continuation of bad relations. In places things seem to be getting quite personal, and I aim to keep personal tit for tat slagging out of the radio forum whenever I see it.

I am being 100% respectful when I ask this, what do you mean by the above?

Better not to post what supposes to other posters to be one’s own name, and drags a well known name unfavourably into a public forum.

• Advertisement

I am being 100% respectful when I ask this, what do you mean by the above?

The moot word is IF, if there is any such happening in this thread, as it’s the impression I get from the posts. That’s all I have to say on it.

MOD, everybody give it a rest.

Jayus, it's no wonder you go with 'more music' instead! :D

I think I am officially old, kinda enjoyed this mornings show. Besides the carer story it was grand. Ryan seems better on radio, than the telly.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,053 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I think I am officially old, kinda enjoyed this mornings show. Besides the carer story it was grand. Ryan seems better on radio, than the telly.

I'm not sure you need to be old to enjoy the RT show.

After all the chat yesterday I made a point of listening today and thought it was grand too. I even saw the point of the carer story.

Interesting choice of music "You Can't Always Get What You Want" - pretty much sums up listening to the radio.

When I was young & allegedly hip, I used to absolutely love the Gay Byrne Show. Guess I was born old myself :)

I listened to Tubs this morning for a few minutes and we covered:
    History
    Books
    Books about Trump
    Kindness
    Bonkers
    Carers
    Trump-bashing
    Self-praise/humblebragging
    Praise for RTE

That was in about the first 10minutes, phone rang at that point and saved me.

I know I've mentioned this previously but the way he puts extra emphasis pon the word "that" really grates on me, i.e. "...and we're all very grateful about THAT!" or "...and THAT kind of thing!"

I listened to Tubs this morning for a few minutes and we covered:
    History
    Books
    Books about Trump
    Kindness
    Bonkers
    Carers
    Trump-bashing
    Self-praise/humblebragging
    Praise for RTE

That was in about the first 10minutes, phone rang at that point and saved me.

I know I've mentioned this previously but the way he puts extra emphasis pon the word "that" really grates on me, i.e. "...and we're all very grateful about THAT!" or "...and THAT kind of thing!"

Well I used to listen to Pat Kenny the odd time. But the fella seems to have lost the plot. Kenny's way of speaking always annoyed me that staccato style. But he used to at least show he researched well. IMO Tubridy is just what Pat Kenny used to be consistent, safe and hardworking. Low on sensationalism.

That's a lot of choice in the first 10 minutes. Plenty for everybody there.

I must say I also quite enjoyed the show this morning.

I may tune in more often. Does Ryan have summer hols coming soon I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭amlinopta

Ryan just back from a week off but more holidays to follow no doubt. Oliver Callan now firmly established as the preferred replacement, whatever happened to that lady Maggie who filled in a few times?

• Advertisement

Of course you did.

And that's fine. Just as it's fine for me and others to dislike it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement