Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy radio show thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,637 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Well I am kind of a new convert. Find myself flicking through the radio channels, Pat Kenny seems angry and looking for a row - these days very opinionated. So fed up of him.

Can't stick those radio male/female shows like Colm and Lucy on Nova. Where the 'banter' is forced and annoying. If I want music sure that is what my mp3 player is for.

Tubridy by his nature seems to look for positive stuff. So I put it on there few days ago thinking he might have a nice take on things or a nice story. Was ok for me until he read out the carers text/email - but it does not seem to be like that normally.

You're having a laugh, aren't you?

Then again, if you aren't a regular listener, you might not know.

I used to listen to it fairly regularly, but stopped due to the amount of misery p0rn in it. Nearly on a daily basis, he had some death, cancer or child illness story, it was awful negative stuff. Bit like his LLS on TV, which uses the same basic formula.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,154 ✭✭✭mistersifter

the last few days I've tuned in briefly and heard people in tears over some tragedy or illness. 3 times at least this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

NIMAN wrote: »
    You're having a laugh, aren't you?

Then again, if you aren't a regular listener, you might not know.

I used to listen to it fairly regularly, but stopped due to the amount of misery p0rn in it. Nearly on a daily basis, he had some death, cancer or child illness story, it was awful negative stuff. Bit like his LLS on TV, which uses the same basic formula.

Jayus if it like that I wont be listening. Will just pick out the nice stories from the podcast.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

This morning he makes the smart@rse remark that listeners can always switch channel on the radio if they don’t like the program-no doubt referring to Critical remarks on this here thread. Some of us pay licence fees and are taxpayers and like to comment on what we perceive to be the quality of the broadcasting, and whether or not it represents value for money considering the excessive pay of some individual presenters.

Yes, I can turn the dial in the radio, but why should I when I’m actually paying for my national broadcaster. RTE does plenty of excellent quality broadcasting, has some quality presenters. I’m interested in where it falls short and how that can be improved. Some people like stamp collecting, some running classic cars, others like me are fascinated with the world of broadcasting, so telling likes of me to turn the dial isn’t such a clever idea. I love my national broadcaster and want to see it excel in all areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

I spuz

• Advertisement

Didn't hear that but sounds like he pays more attention to the 'meanies' than he lets on.

You can turn the radio off all you want but he'll still be there sucking up 500k of public funds for producing pointless drivel. That's the thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

This morning he makes the smart@rse remark that listeners can always switch channel on the radio if they don’t watch the program-no doubt referring to Critical remarks on this here thread. Some of us pay licence fees and are taxpayers and like to comment on what we perceive to be the quality of the broadcasting, and whether or not it represents value for money considering the excessive pay of some individual presenters.

Yes, I can turn the dial in the radio, but why should I when I’m actually paying for my national broadcaster. RTE does plenty of excellent quality broadcasting, has some quality presenters. I’m interested in where it falls short and how that can be improved. Some people like stamp collecting, some running classic cars, others like me are fascinated with the world of broadcasting, so telling likes of me to turn the dial isn’t such a clever idea. I love my national broadcaster and want to see it excel in all areas.

Any overemphaised "THAT"s?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

The mans a hypocrite as he has demonstrated before and more recently in how he is happy to read out the positive texts from 'listeners' but dismisses any criticism all the same whether it be reasonable or not. Scrutiny just does not compute in Richard Scarry world.

Sure the aul burying of the head in the sand is his specialty.

Walter Mitty hasn't a patch on this lad when it comes to conjuring up a delusional world to hide in.

I don’t know why they don’t give him a books, theatre, film review show to host on radio or tv. Or a children’s tv program, so long as he kept from the innuendo that speaks only to adults. That’s his niche, and it’s about time RTÉ did it’s own children’s programming again, which it did pretty damn well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

A peculiar and intriguing trend recently has been 'articles' in the irish sun recapping that mornings broadcast. I dont see it happening for other programmes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭hawley

One listener said that his mum was probably never bored with Ryan in the house, however, Ryan insisted that he actually gets his hilarious sense of humour from his mother. They wrote in saying: "Very best to your mum. I imagine there was never a dull moment in her house with you around."
    Ryan replied: "Well where do you think I got it from? You know in fairness she's some craic so I have to attribute it to her.
    https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.rsvplive.ie/news/celebs/rte-presenter-ryan-tubridy-shares-22221834.amp

hawley wrote: »
    One listener said that his mum was probably never bored with Ryan in the house, however, Ryan insisted that he actually gets his hilarious sense of humour from his mother. They wrote in saying: "Very best to your mum. I imagine there was never a dull moment in her house with you around."
    Ryan replied: "Well where do you think I got it from? You know in fairness she's some craic so I have to attribute it to her.
    https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.rsvplive.ie/news/celebs/rte-presenter-ryan-tubridy-shares-22221834.amp

I did comment on this last week. “Tremendous” humble-bragging from Bryan there.

PieOhMy wrote: »
    A peculiar and intriguing trend recently has been 'articles' in the irish sun recapping that mornings broadcast. I dont see it happening for other programmes.

The Indo used to do that too, create articles from things said on radio shows earlier.

Dunphy was involved in quite a lot of them iirc.

NIMAN wrote: »
    The Indo used to do that too, create articles from things said on radio shows earlier.

Dunphy was involved in quite a lot of them iirc.

There was a time when stories that featured on the first 45minutes of Da Lahv Lahn were on the Independent online by 3pm.

There was a time when stories that featured on the first 45minutes of Da Lahv Lahn were on the Independent online by 3pm.

The beast feeds itself

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

I did comment on this last week. “Tremendous” humble-bragging from Bryan there.

Well done, well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,647 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

He plays a billy Joel song then says “that wouldn’t be out of place in the muppet movie”

Ffs. This is the level of broadcasting we are dealing with.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

He wouldn't be out of place in a Muppet movie himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Was there any nice stories this week? I am in the humour for a nice positive Tubridy story.

I looked at the podcast list:

https://www.rte.ie/radio1/ryan-tubridy/podcasts/

Monday 22nd June

* 'Life After Prison'

Bit unsure about that, it might annoy me. Would be more impressed if yer man never got caught or broke out! :D

* RTÉ Does Comic Relief - Win Westlife!

Sounds nice but not sure about the Westlife tickets.

* News Round-Up of the Day

I will chance this could be positive?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement

Professor Luke O'Neill talking about the three C's of Covid-19 today.....

So that's four big C's on today's show!

Today I heard Ryan telling us all how he thinks it’s most right and fitting for hairdressers to be gouging customers for dealing with “damaged hair” from “box dye”, etc.

He agrees with the hairdressers uncritically. Like agreeing with a publican who might say drinking wine at home is damaging, whereas drinking same amount out in a pub is not as they use “different” type of wine, whose secret is only known to the publican.

I have to laugh, last time I was at Peter Marks the hairdresser asked where I had my dye done as it was especially good and suited me-I told her a box from Boots downstairs, and she replied “which brand, it really is nice?”

• Registered Users Posts: 19,510 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Today I heard Ryan telling us all how he thinks it’s most right and fitting for hairdressers to be gouging customers for dealing with “damaged hair” from “box dye”, etc.

He agrees with the hairdressers uncritically. Like agreeing with a publican who might say drinking wine at home is damaging, whereas drinking same amount out in a pub is not as they use “different” type of wine, whose secret is only known to the publican.

I have to laugh, last time I was at Peter Marks the hairdresser asked where I had my dye done as it was especially good and suited me-I told her a box from Boots downstairs, and she replied “which brand, it really is nice?”

Lot of folk don’t understand the expression ‘vested interest’ Cat.

Its ok for the RTE employees, they all seem to have been getting their hair done by someone over the lockdown, probably an RTE stylist in house.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Rte making a documentary on the opening of the hairdressers. Jesus wept

Looking forward to going to the Borber

and looking forward to "the ceremony of going to the cinema - with popcoooorn, and jellies, and your cookkke" (in 12 yr old American girl accent) .

Giving out about overuse of 'super'. The irony.

Patronizing people about not being mean in supermarkets.

The bloke is one hell of a ...

• Registered Users Posts: 72,659 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Leave us keyboard warriors alone, Ryan!

I’ve earned the right to hurl abuse at celebrities I will never meet in an attempt to be funny!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

I’ve earned the right to hurl abuse at celebrities I will never meet in an attempt to be funny!

Successful attempts, WM.

Rte making a documentary on the opening of the hairdressers. Jesus wept

It's going to be tremendous fun!

Classic RTE putting a call out for people to take part in a documentary 2 working days before it's due to start filiming. A lot of thought must have gone into this one.

• Advertisement

Some of us have had the misfortune of meeting them, or being in their company.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement