Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy radio show thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I think he is suggesting who you might be,which I didnt think was allowed..But in the case of this poster,I think theres a bit of "Teachers Pet" going on in this thread.......

I wasn’t suggesting anything, you’re making a lot of assumptions there. The poster repeatedly says he’s leaving the thread but repeatedly comes back - that’s what I was referring to. Or was it? Let me think....oh that’s right, I don’t have to explain my posts to you.

As for your teacher’s pet comment, I’ve probably been carded and banned more than anyone in Radio, incl. a 3 month ban last year. Yup, sounds like teacher’s pet alright.

More Music wrote: »
    See, that comment isn't even about the programme. It's a hatred and jealousy for a man that in your eyes, makes easy money.

How is it "easy" for Tubs?

Surely somebody scraping through on minimum wage would also prefer health over wealth.

I'm pretty sure we'd all prefer to be cancer free rather than have a million in the bank. Easy for me also.

I'm out.

Don’t hate Tubs, and certainly not jealous of him.

The comment is about the host’s lack of self-awareness to come out with a comment like that in the middle of a pandemic and as we’re about to enter a recession where hundreds of thousands will likely lose their jobs.

Does he make easy money in my eyes? Yes, and I’d hardly be alone in that. Your comment suggests that you believe he works hard for his money (paid as fees via a tax avoidance company). Do you actually believe that? Of course you’ll likely revert to your usual tactic now and completely avoid answering that question.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

The comment is about the host’s lack of self-awareness to come out with a comment like that in the middle of a pandemic and as we’re about to enter a recession where hundreds of thousands will likely lose their jobs.

Does he make easy money in my eyes? Yes, and I’d hardly be alone in that. Your comment suggests that you believe he works hard for his money (paid as fees via a tax avoidance company). Do you actually believe that? Of course you’ll likely revert to your usual tactic now and completely avoid answering that question.

As a matter of interest, at what rate do you think the money with which Mr Tubridy buys his groceries has been taxed?

I presume you won't completely avoid answering this question?

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭More Music

I wasn’t suggesting anything, you’re making a lot of assumptions there. The poster repeatedly says he’s leaving the thread but repeatedly comes back - that’s what I was referring to...

I do not repeatedly say I am leaving the thread and come back. Show me one time where I said it before your post to me 6 days ago asking "How's retirement going?"

I said it last night merely to point out the irony of people listening to Tubs show saying "I'm out" or "I'm off" only to tune in again the following day.

You asked me "How's retirement going?". Why would you even think I was retired? How could you know my employment status?

A man said he would prefer health over wealth in the middle of a pandemic. We know he has wealth, we'll assume he has good health. Given a choice of between the two, he picked health. I would do the same.

You said "Easy for you Tubs", that's nothing to do with self awareness. It is a dig at the money he's making and how easy you think it is to make that choice when you already have wealth.

The choice should be easy for anybody, weatlhy or not, job or not, pandemic or not. You have a chip so big on that shoulder and your view of anybody in RTE (especially the "big" names") is so toxic that you cannot help your self.

Let me be 100% clear for you, because I never suggested otherwise. He makes good money. I never said it was easy money. Most seem to think it's a one hour radio show per day and 2 hour TV on Friday. Keep believing that.

Yes, from the outside it would seem to be a nice job. Much better say than getting up at 7am to answer the phones in a call centre for 12 hours? But of course that is all relative.

RTE pay a contracted company for services for the Tubs show. The contracted company then pay Ryan. Tax affairs are a matter for Ryan and his company. RTE contract out services like catering, OB's, news camera people and cleaning in the same way. These companies then pay their staff and tax the same way. It is the way of business and not illegal.

Show me somebody or some company who wants to pay more tax than they are obliged to do. Get real.

• Advertisement

Brian Scan wrote: »
    [/B]

As a matter of interest, at what rate do you think the money with which Mr Tubridy buys his groceries has been taxed?

I presume you won't completely avoid answering this question?

Oh Jesus, not this again.

He pays f*ck all Brian as he's outsourced his "services" via a company instead of being a PAYE Employee of RTE. So on his fees he pays corporation tax @ 12.5% after deductible expenses (of which there are many).

He's not doing anything illegal, he's simply taking advantage of a system which wasn't set up to monitor this type of practice and was designed for large companies and not "1 man bands", which his company is. This type of avoidance has recieved much criticism from many quarters.

What is galling however is that this behaviour is not morally acceptable to many, but given the man's constant protrayal of himself as a "Man of de peeple" and the fact he proclaims his heroes as Larkin, Connolly et al., it is at best profoundly hypocritical of him to do so.

That's the VERY short version.

As you well know Brian the rate at which he tax buys his groceries is not the rate at which the one man company he operates for the faciliation of the payment of his fees makes its returns. Once again you're acting like this copamny was set up as a way to pay MORE tax. Tubs/Duffy/D'Arcy et al are all essentially employees in RTE, but paid as contractors for the same output.

See:
    The debate as to who is an employee and who is not has been ongoing for decades. However, we have a timely reminder of the significance of these issues – highlighted very recently in the case of RTÉ. An independent review found that out of a total of 433 contracts reviewed, up to 157 workers in RTÉ were wrongly classified as independent contractors.

https://www.philiplee.ie/when-contract-work-is-employment-in-disguise/

and:
    https://www.thejournal.ie/rte-freelancer-contracts-4087409-Jun2018/

Mr. Duffy of course fails to understand the basics of his own contract, demanding sick pay when he was unavilable for work:
    Duffy’s 2011 autobiography revealed his "insecurity and worry" at being told by RTE he was not entitled to sick pay as he is not directly employed by the station but is a contractor.

The Liveline presenter was informed of the development prior to undergoing a second operation on a severely broken leg.

He wrote: “In my 23 years in RTE, I only took one single day off sick prior to being knocked down, so I thought the decision to refuse me sick pay was unfair, to say the least.”

Here are some Revenue Guidelines as to what determines if someone is an employee, rather than a contractor:

He/she is an employee if some or all of the following apply:
    Is under the control of another person who directs as to how, when and where the work is to be carried out
    Works set hours or a given number of hours per week or month
    Does not supply materials for the job
    Does not provide equipment other than the small tools of the trade
    Is not exposed to personal financial risk in carrying out the work
    Receives a fixed hourly/weekly/monthly wage
    Is entitled to extra pay or time off for overtime
    Is entitled to sick pay
    Receives expense payments to cover subsistence and/or travel expenses
    Supplies labour only
    Cannot subcontact the work
    Does not assume any responsibility for investment and management in the business
    Does not have the opportunity to profit from sound management in the scheduling of engagements or in the performance of tasks arising from the engagements
    Will normally be covered under the employer’s public liability insurance
    Works for one person or for one business

https://www.herald.ie/opinion/columnists/sinead-ryan/sinead-ryan-rte-reporting-on-outrageous-paid-holidays-at-taxpayers-expense-mr-pot-meet-mr-kettle-27977206.html

Even RTE staff are fed up with the arrangements for the "stars":
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/a-terrible-betrayal-rte-top-earners-furious-after-colleagues-call-for-them-to-take-pay-cut-38733699.html

https://www.herald.ie/news/rtes-crazy-pay-packets-did-huge-damage-in-crash-davin-power-38675531.html

Quote from that last piece:
    "People say the star salaries are irrelevant, but they're indicative of a management that went a bit crazy for a decade and those pay packets did huge damage to the station's standing with the public during the years of the crash," he said.

If I had more time I'd look for the article from a number of years back describing how Revenue planned to look at the one-man band type companies that are esentially fronts for these contractors-as-employees operations, as well as the speech elivered in the Dáil on this subject.

The simple fact is that they chose to leave full time employment with RTE and become a contractor because it was moer beneficial to them financially. Stop acting like they're the ones sacrificing.

I do not repeatedly say I am leaving the thread and come back. Show me one time where I said it before your post to me 6 days ago asking "How's retirement going?"

I said it last night merely to point out the irony of people listening to Tubs show saying "I'm out" or "I'm off" only to tune in again the following day.

You asked me "How's retirement going?". Why would you even think I was retired? How could you know my employment status?

And question predictably avoided.:rolleyes:

"I'm off" and "I'm out" are not statemetns that indicate a permanent withdrawal from the thread, so neither would fit the definitio of irony. Sorry....

Let me be 100% clear for you, because I never suggested otherwise. He makes good money. I never said it was easy money. Most seem to think it's a one hour radio show per day and 2 hour TV on Friday. Keep believing that.

Yes, from the outside it would seem to be a nice job. Much better say than getting up at 7am to answer the phones in a call centre for 12 hours? But of course that is all relative.

RTE pay a contracted company for services for the Tubs show. The contracted company then pay Ryan. Tax affairs are a matter for Ryan and his company. RTE contract out services like catering, OB's, news camera people and cleaning in the same way. These companies then pay their staff and tax the same way. It is the way of business and not illegal.

Show me somebody or some company who wants to pay more tax than they are obliged to do. Get real.

Ryan and the company? Ryan IS THE COMPANY.

"I'm off" and "I'm out" are not statemetns that indicate a permanent withdrawal from the thread.......

Thanks for the clarification. I think.

It was not avoided. My employment status has nothing to do with you. You can go back to the teacher again if you wish and ask them to intervene.

How could you know if I was retired or not? What would make you even suggest it?

Avoid that.

Ryan and the company? Ryan IS THE COMPANY.

So what?

BTW, I said Ryan and HIS company, not the company.

How many employees does a company need to make it valid in your eyes?

Or does this thing in your head only apply to Ryan and Duffy et al.?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭bossdrum

So what?

How many employees does a company need to make it valid in your eyes?

Or does this thing in your head only apply to Ryan and Duffy et al.?

A company can have one employee but when that employee breaches all the guidelines of what the Revenue would regard as a contractor then the company was obviously set up as a method to reduce tax liabilities.
    The Revenue are always querying builders and their subcontractors to ensure that they meet the criteria as subcontractors and there is no way I would be allowed to set myself up as a company to invoice my employer.

I can only assume there must be an 'understanding' between RTE/Revenue that these stars must be treated differently than the rest of the population.

Ryan would pay a high rate of tax on any salary above the usual limits but not after claiming various expenses and he gets to decide how much salary to take each year depending on his needs.
    Any year that he sells his Kennedy/Clinton books (no doubt claiming the artists exemption) he might not take very much salary at all therefore avoiding the higher rate of tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,193 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

I think they have renamed the show the Covid-19 show!
    The guy is obsessed with the f*****g thing!

bossdrum wrote: »
    A company can have one employee but when that employee breaches all the guidelines of what the Revenue would regard as a contractor then the company was obviously set up as a method to reduce tax liabilities.
    The Revenue are always querying builders and their subcontractors to ensure that they meet the criteria as subcontractors and there is no way I would be allowed to set myself up as a company to invoice my employer.

I can only assume there must be an 'understanding' between RTE/Revenue that these stars must be treated differently than the rest of the population.

Ryan would pay a high rate of tax on any salary above the usual limits but not after claiming various expenses and he gets to decide how much salary to take each year depending on his needs.
    Any year that he sells his Kennedy/Clinton books (no doubt claiming the artists exemption) he might not take very much salary at all therefore avoiding the higher rate of tax.

You are correct in stating the reasons it's done. Nobody could argue with that. It is to reduce tax liability. The practice may well be on Revenue's radar, but as it stands they are not doing anything illegal.

It goes on in media circles all the time both here and the UK.

AFAIK, Ryan's work for the BBC also gets paid to his company.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,040 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

i wish i only had to pay 12.5% tax when i was a MD/Contractor.

I do believe the guideline to paying tax when contracting is to put way 65/75% of your earnings in the tax account and then hope for the best

• Registered Users Posts: 3,154 ✭✭✭mistersifter

...RTE pay a contracted company for services for the Tubs show. The contracted company then pay Ryan. Tax affairs are a matter for Ryan and his company. RTE contract out services like catering, OB's, news camera people and cleaning in the same way. These companies then pay their staff and tax the same way. It is the way of business and not illegal.

This comment really is an eye opener to the deluded RTE mentality. It's such a shameless defence of something clearly unethical. Stinks of blind loyalty.

And that is why it sickens people to hear that little worm of a presenter lecturing people on buying local and supporting your community and all the rest of his nonsense.

A new offering from Dublin Mint, minted with kindness...

A new offering from Dublin Mint, minted with kindness...

Did you forget "Hand Minted with Precision"

Reminds me of a Polo candy ad from 10 years ago.

Ryan getting a bit of stick in the Sunday Times editorial today.

52941B3A-5657-43BA-9C4D-F1C3912E9984.jpeg

Sunday Business Post too, is bang on with Matt Cooper's article on P 28 of the Last Post

Some shedding light for the little people

• Registered Users Posts: 33,637 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Sunday Business Post too, is bang on with Matt Cooper's article on P 28 of the Last Post

Some shedding light for the little people

Any link to this?

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »
    Any link to this?

I shall be purchasing this later and will take a photograph if none materialises before then. SBP is behind a paywall so no online link caller.

Too right.

"a guy with way too much to say"

Exactly what people without a vested interest have been saying. Time and again, I hear it said out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,510 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

"a guy with way too much to say"

Exactly what people without a vested interest have been saying. Time and again, I hear it said out there.

What do you mean by that Cat, would like to know

I shall be purchasing this later and will take a photograph if none materialises before then. SBP is behind a paywall so no online link caller.

Here yizzers all go and dat.

Here yizzers all go and dat.

De last part and dat.

You have truly feline tenacity, Butters.

You have truly feline tenacity, Butters.

I was buying it anyway so to speak so just wanted to share for those who wouldn’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,154 ✭✭✭mistersifter

They play the public service card when they run themselves into the ground financially.

And then they play the 'it's the way of business/the market' card when they want to justify an attitude to wages and tax that is at odds with the idea of public service.

They like having their plain cake and eating it.

• Advertisement

They like having their plain cake and eating it.

While other small business outfits get "one bite of the cherry"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement